As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It also depends on how Giant Bomb as a company is legally viewed as a subsidiary of CBSi, because they have such a small staff, pretty sure a lot of that stuff doesn't apply to businesses with fewer than like fifteen employees or something.

That said this is a dumb conversation because only half of the conversation is taking place in reality, and the other is taking place in some magical fantasy land where resumes are tallied by cold emotionless robots who apply some kind of objective numerical "qualification score" to each resume for the position in question and then you just pick the one with the highest number because they are objectively the most qualified.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I trust GB to make the right choice

The choice of Ryckert was shat all over at the time because it was another straight white male

But if that didn't happen we wouldn't have Danswers, Metal Gear Scanlon, Mario Party Party, Paul Ryckert, etc.

That's not to say a woman wouldn't have brought some great content, I'm saying that no one has brought the content like Ryckert has up to this point

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Objectivity is the rallying cry of the insane.

No I don't.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It also depends on how Giant Bomb as a company is legally viewed as a subsidiary of CBSi, because they have such a small staff, pretty sure a lot of that stuff doesn't apply to businesses with fewer than like fifteen employees or something.

That said this is a dumb conversation because only half of the conversation is taking place in reality, and the other is taking place in some magical fantasy land where resumes are tallied by cold emotionless robots who apply some kind of objective numerical "qualification score" to each resume for the position in question and then you just pick the one with the highest number because they are objectively the most qualified.

That's the first part of lots of hiring practices. Software algorithms look for keywords to narrow the field. Maybe CBSi doesn't do that, but many places do.

That being said, trying to determine who is the most qualified isn't only a task for software. You look at a resume and make a judgement about whether you think they'd make a good interview. You look at the listed skills and compare them to what you listed in the job req. People apply without meeting all requirements all the time. They, obviously, end up lower in the stack than somebody who applies with experience in six out of six of the listed requirements.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    man you ain't gotta use a search algorithm when your hiring pool is like 20 people to begin with

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    seasleepy wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    I still struggle with the inevitable response to "I hope they diversify with their next hire" always being "but what if straight white males don't get a fair chance?"

I don't care about the gender or sexual orientation of their eventual next hire. I care about putting those things front and center when considering applicants.
    None of us are going to be involved in choosing the applicants, so....

...so we should have no interest in fairness?
    I think everyone understands that GB would be legally permitted to hire a white dude if they felt that guy was most qualified, so going on about the legalities of hiring is a little silly.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    If giantbomb hired a woman they'd only be 89% male. The lawsuits for discriminating against men would just come crashing in

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean i'm only 89% male

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    man you ain't gotta use a search algorithm when your hiring pool is like 20 people to begin with

I don't know how many people applied to GB. And that doesn't matter. My point was that @Maddoc's dark dystopian future where robots help make hiring decisions is already here.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Extreme subjectivity is the same thing as discrimination.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Saw there was a bunch of new posts this morning and went "Oh man, I wonder if they announced the new hire." or some other big bit of news. Kinda bummed there wasn't.

• Options
    If giantbomb hired a woman they'd only be 89% male. The lawsuits for discriminating against men would just come crashing in

Nobody is taking the position that you're describing. Nobody is saying that they shouldn't hire women.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    "I never thought this would be how they'd get me" - Jeff Gerstmann as he's put in the back of a police car for violating anti-discrimination in hiring laws.
    "It's Ok, I think I can break out of jail" - Dan Ryckert

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    "I never thought this would be how they'd get me" - Jeff Gerstmann as he's put in the back of a police care for violating anti-discrimination in hiring laws.
    "It's Ok, I think I can break out of jail" - Dan Ryckert

More proof that Dan was the correct hire

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    it is in fact literally against united states federal law to discriminate against employees on the basis of race, sex, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic history, or veteran status but unfortunately it still happens

Exactly. It's how a lot of straight white male people get their jobs.

And the use of Affirmative Action, despite being more qualified, is how they might not get the job.

Which is what you are suggesting Giant Bomb should employ for their next hire.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    it is in fact literally against united states federal law to discriminate against employees on the basis of race, sex, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic history, or veteran status but unfortunately it still happens

And the use of Affirmative Action, despite being more qualified, is how they might not get the job.

Is it? I thought I said I want them to hire the more qualified candidate.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

why are the straight white males more qualified?

people aren't advocating affirmative action, they're saying they believe adding diversity is likely to be of greater value to giantbomb based on its current makeup

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    personally, I have no problem with discriminating against men

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I thought someone got hired when I saw 70 something posts.

Instead, nightmares.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

people aren't advocating affirmative action, they're saying they believe adding diversity is likely to be of greater value to giantbomb based on its current makeup

because of catch-22, essentially

• Options

They're not, and nobody is saying that they are.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

This whole conversation literally started because you responded to "they should hire a woman" with "BUT WHAT IF A GUY IS MORE QUALIFIED."

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I thought someone got hired when I saw 70 something posts.

Instead, nightmares.

hay guyz wassup, any news...*reads last 2 pages* oh...here I was thinking we were getting Metal Gear Scanlon 3 today.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So, can the iPhone Podcasts app get the premium podcasts? I can't figure out how to do it.

If not, can someone recommend an iOS podcast app that can?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options

This whole conversation literally started because you responded to "they should hire a woman" with "BUT WHAT IF A GUY IS MORE QUALIFIED."

They are not more qualified due to being white, male, and heterosexual. We don't know how qualified they are. And that's the whole point. You consider all applicants, not just women, or not just homosexual people, or not just whatever other differentiating characteristic you think GB desperately needs.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Which by the way you yourself describe it would be solely through hiring someone more diverse because you think as a personality based website it is necessary. That looks to be your definition of the more qualified candidate.

Never suggested that. I was putting forth a hypothetical scenario in which a white guy who is more qualified might not get the job simply because a company decides he isn't going to get the job regardless.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, can the iPhone Podcasts app get the premium podcasts? I can't figure out how to do it.

I don't know about the apple podcasts app, but I think most 3rd party podcast apps should be able to handle it. I use & really like Downcast, other people have talked about Pocket Casts and Instacast in here.

seasleepy on
  • Options
    So, can the iPhone Podcasts app get the premium podcasts?

Nope. It's also a piece of shit app and is unreliable as hell

Which is a bummer, because the old podcast functionality within the music player worked perfectly

I use Pocket Casts now, it's pretty great

It's $4 but whatever

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

It's been a while since I've used it, but I think so.

You might need to subscribe through desktop iTunes, enter your details there and then sync it to your phone.

edit: And yes, the iOS podcast app is terrible.

Diarmuid on
  • Options

Which by the way you yourself describe it would be solely through hiring someone more diverse because you think as a personality based website it is necessary. That looks to be your definition of the more qualified candidate.

Never suggested that. I was putting forth a hypothetical scenario in which a white guy who is more qualified might not get the job simply because a company decides he isn't going to get the job regardless.

Yes, diversity as far as personality and outlook is a qualification for a job at a video based entertainment site about toys.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Youtubers need to get to putting up highlights of Mario Party Party 3 on Youtube already.

It didn't take nearly this long for either of the first two.

• Options

They are not more qualified due to being white, male, and heterosexual. We don't know how qualified they are. And that's the whole point. You consider all applicants, not just women, or not just homosexual people, or not just whatever other differentiating characteristic you think GB desperately needs.
    "GB should hire a woman" does not mean "GB should throw away the resumes for anyone that is not a ladyperson" and it's really silly you seem to think that's what people are advocating.

• Options
    Then we agree, and Mr. G is bad at saying he means because I'd think that most people wouldn't see "They need to finally hire a woman, ANYBODY that's not a straight white guy because they are currently 100% comprised of those" and think it meant "GB should consider all applications equally, but I super hope that the most qualified candidate happens to be a lady."

Because how it read to me was "GB has enough straight, white, guys. Let's not look at them for the open position."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    This is what jclast was responding to:

- They need to finally hire a woman, ANYBODY that's not a straight white guy because they are currently 100% comprised of those

So no, that is quite literally what was being advocated at the onset by someone. That is what really started this whole thing. You are right about that being what most people here aren't advocating though.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The idea that there's a perfect candidate for any job is asinine. There's a degree of subjectivity to every hire (which regularly benefits straight white men). In the context of this site that's driven by a variety of view points and backgrounds, you might ask, "What do we have a lot of already?" and answer with a resounding cry of "Straight white men!"

Seeking to improve your site, of the qualified candidates, of which there are almost definitely, gasp, women and people of color and varied gender identities, somebody who breaks that mold would be a pretty damn smart hire. Especially in the face of the horrible gender and sexual discrimination we've seen over the last year, where the voices of those being targeted were so rarely a part of the conversation outside of their besieged niches. Those are view points whose value is bolstered by their rarity in the gaming media, not defined by it.

And the misunderstanding of hiring laws in here has cost me god knows how much enamel from grinding my teeth.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Youtubers need to get to putting up highlights of Mario Party Party 3 on Youtube already.

It didn't take nearly this long for either of the first two.

49 minutes. Enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFjX_GdWyic

• Options
    Sweet, thanks!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    am I the only one that feels weirded out when people make superclips like that out of premium content and then release it for free on youtube?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    am I the only one that feels weirded out when people make superclips like that out of premium content and then release it for free on youtube?

Yes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

When it's 49 minutes like that, yeah, a little. The 10-15 minute Best of Giant Bomb ones are fine.

This discussion has been closed.