As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just started noodling around with Fallen London since i'm waiting on Sunless Sea to be finished before picking it up, figured i'd acquaint myself with the setting.

Boy, i've really no idea what i'm doing. Seems interesting, though. Definitely more fleshed-out than Dragon Age: The Last Court.

Here's my character, anyway. It really seems like a lot of stuff is locked behind interactions with other characters? Like, I can't find a way to get my nightmares to drop that isn't sending them to someone else. I should probably just spend time reading through the wiki, when I get a chance.

You can also buy Laudnam from the Bazaar and chug it, but that'll make you an addict and increase your Wounds.

Other methods of Nightmare reduction... if you can get your paws on Greyfields 1868 First Sporing, that'll help without the addiction issue. You need Touching Love Stories (created by upconverting Honey > Romantic Notions > Love Stories) which you can trade through an opportunity card

If you buy the Trade in Souls storyline (I somehow got it for free back in the Early Days -- I started playing at launch?), you get an occasional opp card that, if you have 1000 souls and 500 Infernal Contracts, will wipe ALL of your Menaces. Completely. ALL OF THEM.

Finally, going insane is less terrible if you have Memories of Light. In fact, it can be downright pleasant.

oh finally once I have enough actions to accept y'all's calling cards I'm happy to eat Nightmares. Please do not give me Wounds or Suspicion though, those I have a lot more trouble clearing :(

Ugh, same with scandal for me. The tomb colonies are the worst.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The fluff text in Fallen London gave me flashbacks to Perdido Street Station, that's a good thing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    heenato wrote: »
    Just started noodling around with Fallen London since i'm waiting on Sunless Sea to be finished before picking it up, figured i'd acquaint myself with the setting.

Boy, i've really no idea what i'm doing. Seems interesting, though. Definitely more fleshed-out than Dragon Age: The Last Court.

Here's my character, anyway. It really seems like a lot of stuff is locked behind interactions with other characters? Like, I can't find a way to get my nightmares to drop that isn't sending them to someone else. I should probably just spend time reading through the wiki, when I get a chance.

You can also buy Laudnam from the Bazaar and chug it, but that'll make you an addict and increase your Wounds.

Other methods of Nightmare reduction... if you can get your paws on Greyfields 1868 First Sporing, that'll help without the addiction issue. You need Touching Love Stories (created by upconverting Honey > Romantic Notions > Love Stories) which you can trade through an opportunity card

If you buy the Trade in Souls storyline (I somehow got it for free back in the Early Days -- I started playing at launch?), you get an occasional opp card that, if you have 1000 souls and 500 Infernal Contracts, will wipe ALL of your Menaces. Completely. ALL OF THEM.

Finally, going insane is less terrible if you have Memories of Light. In fact, it can be downright pleasant.

oh finally once I have enough actions to accept y'all's calling cards I'm happy to eat Nightmares. Please do not give me Wounds or Suspicion though, those I have a lot more trouble clearing :(

Ugh, same with scandal for me. The tomb colonies are the worst.

At least with the Tomb Colonies if you're doing the Labyrinth of Tigers you can get a Tomb Lion there which you can turn into cash. Being dead or in jail gets worse every time it happens AND you get nothing of value :|

*e* Okay, Joseph sent everyone calling cards; please check your in-game messages to accept :) Lucien Seraphim will be doing so as well shortly, but they're currently at sea, and when they return they're at like Nightmares 10 (being at sea does weird shit to you, as I'm sure everyone playing Sunless Sea has found out)

Holy crap @Indie Winter how the bloody hell did you get Ambition: Enigma o_O

*E* You're not Scorched by the Sun too, are you? Though I think only like... three players have that.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »

Sunless Sea is finished. They did a full release on steam last week.

Oh you're right, I was thinking of Darkest Dungeon.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Word of advice. DO NOT
    SEEK
    THE NAME

If you get Unaccountably Peckish try to clear it IMMEDIATELY. That story is currently shut down. Also, even if it wasn't, it will ruin you and your character's lives.

Uh oh

edit: Wait I just checked and I no longer have that. I guess I cleared it already.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Word of advice. DO NOT
    SEEK
    THE NAME

If you get Unaccountably Peckish try to clear it IMMEDIATELY. That story is currently shut down. Also, even if it wasn't, it will ruin you and your character's lives.

Uh oh

edit: Wait I just checked and I no longer have that. I guess I cleared it already.

It's pretty easy to clear -- you buy Chestnuts with Roastygold. MUCH easier than it used to be x_X Back in the day, that thing was nigh impossible to get rid of.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Bound sharks suck. I couldn't get away from one before it had done enough damage to bring me under half hull and half crew after which I couldn't reach London in time before my terror hit 100 and I died in a mutiny. Still surprised that captain survived that long.

His successor has inherited his top of the line cannons, wrote a will before his first trip to sea, and wound up Unaccountably Peckish in his first outing. This will be interesting.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Gaah, my coffee empire is crumbling to pieces all around me. First, the coffee shop I'm delivering to gets burned down. Then I accidentally spent all my profits by misclicking 'buy a mansion' instead of 'rest in your house'. So now I have a giant cargo ship that I can afford to fill with supplies. Finally I get to the Khanate and they tell me I'm no longer authorized to trade with them under suspicion of espionage. I mean, they're right about the spying, but now I'm stuck limping back to London without anything to sell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think I heard about this a long time ago but seeing the thread created a character now. I added everyone here, seems interesting.
    This is me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Have been dabbling in Sunless Sea a bit the past week. On my second captain who actually seems to be doing all right now after some close calls with bankruptcy.
    So now I'm also dabbling in Fallen London. Kind of looking forward to my third Zee captain so I can find out what's in that box I sold them from my Fallen London game.

My Card

akajaybay on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Nother tip: be careful not to exit out of certain ongoing text events by doing something like checking your hold. This may bug out the variables in the game and screw you over for that particular event line.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Have been dabbling in Sunless Sea a bit the past week. On my second captain who actually seems to be doing all right now after some close calls with bankruptcy.
    So now I'm also dabbling in Fallen London. Kind of looking forward to my third Zee captain so I can find out what's in that box I sold them from my Fallen London game.

My Card

Your link has an extra :// on it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Thanks, fixed.

• Options
    So I just did that first thing in the list in the thread title. It was rather interesting.

I didn't have enough souls to bring as a surprise gift, but oh well.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Oh... Nightmares just jumped from 1 to 3, now I'm getting worried.

edit: now its at 6. That feels not good.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Oh. Don't worry at all. going mad can be quite pleasant.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Oh man there's an action I really, really want to do but it requires 50 fate. That's not going to be happening for quite some time I think.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Oh man there's an action I really, really want to do but it requires 50 fate. That's not going to be happening for quite some time I think.

I... May or may not have discovered, via a friend, certainly not myself, that if you decide to spend some money on Nex it's interchangeable with Fate.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Yup. Nex and fate is the same thing for fallen london. However, 50 nex is like 15 bucks, so.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Okay, I am Mathias Finklebottom in Fallen London.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Swapped out the starting engine for the 1000 Echo one and I move faster but I burn through fuel a lot more. On the other hand, I use up less supplies and supplies are more expensive to buy so it's probably a net win.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh I didn't know nex could substitute for fate. I did toss them $10 just since they've done a good job with it. Figured i'd make this initial period of enjoyment and exploration be a bit easier with 40 actions bankable. That means I only need to get around 25 fate if I keep the nex I have left over. Still will take a while, but definitely more achievable.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Managed to just barely make it back to London with 6 hull, 97 terror, and 3 crew. I was so sure I was screwed.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Well I'm at 7 now, so I assume things will be getting quite pleasant for me indeed.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Well I'm at 7 now, so I assume things will be getting quite pleasant for me indeed.

The worst I have to worry about so far is that hanging out with artists and poets and such is considered, by some curious people, to be somehow scandalous.

But that's nothing a few perfunctory trips to Church can't fix.

• Options
    Yeah, scandal is stupidly easy to lower compared to the others, at least as far as I can see.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah, scandal is stupidly easy to lower compared to the others, at least as far as I can see.

All of them get easier to lower as you progress into the game. The major thing to remember is that none of them are fail states - there are certain storylines you can only get by going mad, going to jail or getting exiled to the Tomb Colonies.

Note that this is not true for Sunless Sea, as I found out last night. My wealthy captain who was about to buy a ship and had tons of fuel and supplies decided to gamble on a trip to the Iron Republic with high sanity. His crew murdered him halfway there.

• Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Managed to just barely make it back to London with 6 hull, 97 terror, and 3 crew. I was so sure I was screwed.

Was it bats? The zee creatures give me more trouble than any ship and bats are a pain since they're so close to London.

All of them get easier to lower as you progress into the game. The major thing to remember is that none of them are fail states - there are certain storylines you can only get by going mad, going to jail or getting exiled to the Tomb Colonies.

Note that this is not true for Sunless Sea, as I found out last night. My wealthy captain who was about to buy a ship and had tons of fuel and supplies decided to gamble on a trip to the Iron Republic with high sanity. His crew murdered him halfway there.

My own mutiny ending on my last captain came up due to a terror inducing nightmare event firing in the sea close to London. I've been trying to do a better job of sailing with lights on some of the time as my trips get longer. I'm also playing a bit more conservatively until my child becomes a scion after which I'll start playing more with shooting zee creatures or seeing what happens if I try to sail off the map.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Argh! This ambition is taking forever in fallen london. Does anyone have shadowy or persuasive over 70? Because I will just throw the request for the items I need at you forever until it's done.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Been playing Fallen London off and on for awhile, feel free to add me: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Neaden . I'm mostly just digging around at the Forgotten Quarter lately but I am up for some social engagements. Really enjoying Sunless Sea as well so far, but I haven't had the opportunity to play too much.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

what's the action in question, if you don't mind me asking

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Guess I'll throw my Fallen London profile into the mix. I remember when this was Echo Bazaar and it made up most of my tweets. Somehow, I don't think I'm very far into it...

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

Was it bats? The zee creatures give me more trouble than any ship and bats are a pain since they're so close to London.

My own mutiny ending on my last captain came up due to a terror inducing nightmare event firing in the sea close to London. I've been trying to do a better job of sailing with lights on some of the time as my trips get longer. I'm also playing a bit more conservatively until my child becomes a scion after which I'll start playing more with shooting zee creatures or seeing what happens if I try to sail off the map.

I actually got my insane and mutineed captain to where he was by accidentally sailing off the map. I found some nice stuff and managed to limp across the map with only a single surviving crewmember and full insanity. Made me feel a little too confident about his mortality.

• Options

A Matter of Mortality with the Loquacious Vicar
    Specifically, getting the Green-Eyed Devil companion from it

• Options
    edited February 2015
    YES. Sold the location of the Cave of the Nadir to the Great Game, got enough cash in return that Lucien FINALLY has a 4-card lodging. BAZAAR ROOMS HECK YEAH.
    ... now I just have to wait till next year's Wicket so I can upgrade to an actual Spire. :|

*E* Also it is my intent to have ALL OF THE HOUSES so now it's time to save money again to get a Royal Beth reservation.

rE: various "fail" states in Fallen London:

I actually LIKE going insane when I have Memories of Light, because Parabola is really beautiful and has a lot of interesting stories. I find dying and going to jail to be more troublesome, because once you're Important, the more you die / get arrested, the harder it becomes to leave. Though being in jail is a great way to raise Connected: Criminals. Finally, if you're breeding animals in the Fourth Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers, if you're Exiled in the Tomb Colonies you can get a Tomb Lion to breed, which is pretty neat. If you go for the fate-locked option for animal breeding I think you can get a Corresponding Ocelot from it, which you can use to start a newspaper.

Man this game is weird.

*e2* I lied. Breeding the Lion gets you an Obdurate Stallion, though that gives +2 Dreaded and is a Mount, which is neat. For those who aren't Persons of Some Importance Yet, Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable are new stats that you can only get from items that help you increase your Notability, which in turn unlocks more opportunities.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

A Matter of Mortality with the Loquacious Vicar
    Specifically, getting the Green-Eyed Devil companion from it
    save your fate for the Feast this weekend

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Well I haven't got enough fate/nex for it anyway, so it won't be happening anytime soon. I didn't know there were regular events and such.

• Options
    Valentine's Day, end of summer, Halloween and Chistmas are the "regular events" so far, btw

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Whelp, Fallen London has grabbed me by the small hairs.

Tomorrow I shall be an exceptional friend. Is it possible to play it on one's phone well?

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
This discussion has been closed.