Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Every game of Skyrim is improved by realistically modeled horse vagina.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

This is basic science.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Getting my laptop ready for work means finally getting to install some of the big mods I've been wanting like the 2k Textures mod and the Bandit Overhaul. I also slapped on the populated cities mod and inconsequential NPCs just to flesh the gameworld out a bit more.

111 mods, 0 errors, 0 save errors, and the game is still stable. Awwww yeah, Skyrim modding like a champion.

You know what that means? MORE MODS!

Gotta mod it 'til it breaks.

I did break my game temporarily, but that was due to RCRN being a total bastard when I tried to uninstall it. It took some digging to figure out what graphical mods were being disrupted with RCRN gone and I eventually fixed it after a few hours of work.
    Getting my laptop ready for work means finally getting to install some of the big mods I've been wanting like the 2k Textures mod and the Bandit Overhaul. I also slapped on the populated cities mod and inconsequential NPCs just to flesh the gameworld out a bit more.

111 mods, 0 errors, 0 save errors, and the game is still stable. Awwww yeah, Skyrim modding like a champion.

You know what that means? MORE MODS!
    I'm actually running out of ideas as to what else to stick in to my game to improve it. :sad:

A: More races?

B: Create your own mod of something you found lacking.

If I installed XCE right now, how badly would it break my hours long game?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Playing with SPERG continues, 23 level, my worries about game being too easy were unfounded, as im playing light armor wearing sneaky mage, my glass skin is so sensitive, that Lydia has to tank most of damage from enemies for me to even start thinking about winning the fights.

Question - does Magic Sneak Attacks work in SPERG? I get the information about modifier when i do sneak attacks with weapons, but not when i attack with magic.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    The main questline is a lot less annoying in Skyrim than in Oblibion, at least. You can do it quickly and without suffering

This is true... I hated the main quest of Oblivion so much, not necessarily because it was a bad story or whatever, but because it was actively painful to play through (especially all the gates).

In Skyrim, my biggest complaint (much like with the Thieves Guild quest) about the main quest is with the writing. Most people I think get upset about the end with Paarthurnax (to the point where there's a mod specifically to fix this), but what takes me right out of it is the part where I'm supposed to get the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller only to find it gone. This is kinda dumb, because the dungeon is supposed to exist specifically as a proving grounds for a Dragonborn, but it's even worse when Delphine gets super snarky after you track her down. What I want is a mod that allows me to give her the finger and walk away (which is usually what I do anyways because this is all I need to get the full shout), then solve Skyrim's problems by killing all the dragons until Paarthurnax reveals his part about how to defeat Alduin. Game over.
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Playing with SPERG continues, 23 level, my worries about game being too easy were unfounded, as im playing light armor wearing sneaky mage, my glass skin is so sensitive, that Lydia has to tank most of damage from enemies for me to even start thinking about winning the fights.

Question - does Magic Sneak Attacks work in SPERG? I get the information about modifier when i do sneak attacks with weapons, but not when i attack with magic.

I've actually moved away from SPERG again, mainly because I was trying to use Better Vampires but the scripts absolutely refused to work... and it turned out that once I started a game without SPERG, the scripts were working fine. I was also a bit frustrated because SPERG doesn't always let go of perk trees just because I disable them in the MCM, which can cause some weirdness.

I really wish ACE would get some updates, as it was my favorite for the longest time, and I'd like to go back to it for a more 'enhanced vanilla' game as opposed to one that has been completely changed around. I briefly considered picking up Perkus Maximus again, but I just can't bring myself to do it because of how it just has to change the ratings on weapons and armor, leaving non-vanilla stuff not covered by patches (or sometimes even those that are) completely worthless. So for the time being, I've mixed up a combination of ERSO and Treebalance with another stealth overhaul mod whose name I can't remember to see what comes of it.

To answer your question, I don't believe SPERG adds magic sneak attacks... I believe that requires a separate mod.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The main questline is a lot less annoying in Skyrim than in Oblibion, at least. You can do it quickly and without suffering

This is true... I hated the main quest of Oblivion so much, not necessarily because it was a bad story or whatever, but because it was actively painful to play through (especially all the gates).
    Urgh, yeah. I never finished Oblivion because of that garbage. Such lazy design. I was already salty because of some really terrible gameplay decisions Bethesda made in that title and then that happened and it just broke me.

So, in modding adventures, I think I'm at my game's breaking point. I tried to install the harvesting overhaul mod and it makes my game crash to desktop instantly. Then I tried to put on the hi-res street signs and a couple other light weight mods and they were preventing the game's main menu from loading for some god forsaken reason. Everything has been scrubbed with TES5EDIT and I am running LOOT so I dunno what the hell else to do besides not use the mods cause there's really no reason for something like a mod that improves street sign legibility to fuck the main menu like that. The last time I had that glitch it was due to RCRN being a total cockwaffle but that at least made sense.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If the game's crashing before you reach the main menu, that usually means one of your mods is missing a master esp (LOOT doesn't check for that for some reason). I'm pretty sure Mod Organizer will tell you in the plugins tab if that's the case. If you're using NMM, I think you'd have to go through them one by one until you find the culprit.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Yeah crashing before the title screen is basically always a 'missing master', which can be a real pain to find if you aren't using Mod Organizer, except you know which mods are causing it, so double-checking what they depend on and make sure it's all there should fix the issue.

However, crashing as you try to load into your character or the character creation screen can be any number of things, all of which equate to there just being too much of a load on Papyrus which causes it to simply give up and close. This can best be mitigated with the latest version of SKSE, but even still. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter how powerful your PC is, Papyrus is still a pretty crap script engine.

• Options
    Hmmmmm, I didn't find the Oblivion gates that bad...but I suppose I spaced them out and only really charge through them when I needed a sphere. I do remember enjoying a fight against a higher level dramora and shield bashing him into the pillar of flame.

Hot damn do I wish I could do akido throws in this game. Get up on a high ledge and Steven Segal everyone into the stars.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I thought LOOT does look for missing masters. Or was that only BOSS? Seems strange it would get dropped with the newer program.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Unless it changed in a recent version, it definitely doesn't. I don't remember if BOSS did.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    It looks like the problem with Harvesting Overhaul was absolutely a missing master.
    The master was missing because I'm a dipshit and clicked something I wasn't supposed to while installing Harvesting Overhaul and thusly didn't have some other mod installed.

EDIT: Ok, so I'm still having a separate issue. I install HiRes Legible Roadsigns and the main menu and accompanying music doesn't load. It just sits there blowing smoke everywhere. I'm incredibly confused with this one because all it is is a texture pack. It shouldn't impact the main menu at all. The last time this error happened was when I was ripping RCRN out. I cleaned all that crap out and got some minty fresh installs of my other graphical overhauls and the game was buttery smooth. I don't think the conflict is with those since they're not related. I do have the 2k texture pack but again, nothing terrible should happen there. At the worst one should just cancel out the other. This mod does not use an esp or anything like that, it's just drag and drop textures so there's nothing in the load order to mess with. It's easy enough to just uninstall the mod but it's nagging at me because it's hinting that there may be something else already fucky going on that I'm only now just becoming aware of.

EDIT: More info - LOOT is giving me 8 messages instead of the usual 7 when I have this mod installed, but I can't tell what the 8th is.

EDIT: Oh what the shit, it's working now and LOOT stopped spitting out an 8th message for no apparent reason. BETHESDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Whatever, if there's one thing I've learned as an engineer it's that if something just starts working again sometimes it's best to just stop asking questions and go with it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Once again, how badly could XCE mess my shit up?

edit: Good news everyone, I have been deemed a threat to the Dominion and thalmor agents are searching for me. They can even see through my disguises.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Was there ever a mod released that would teleport followers to your location once they got a certain distance away? That was one of the biggest things that kept me from using them, since they'd end up falling behind and not helping in fights, so why keep them around.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Most of the follower tweaks do that now. AFT, which I use, teleports them to you when you draw your weapon.

• Options
    That sounds perfect, thanks!

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Ok, so being a werewolf is pretty rad but yeah, this really needs some mod love to clean up the QoL side of it.

Also, Real Clouds slapped onto CoT and ELFX is fucking gorgeous.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    A werewolf equivalent to Better Vampires would be cool.

• Options
    Moonlight Tales is about the closest I think to a "Better Vampires" style of overhaul.

• Options
    If you use Moonlight Tales you may want to go in the MCM and turn the level restriction for encounters up a bit, especially for werebears. The default settings are a bit low, imo.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    I haven't run with the mod myself in quite a long time, but I had werewolves show up pretty early on. Yes, they were basically impossible to beat, but that in itself can be fun depending on what you're going for.

If you don't want to be face-raped by werewolves though, yeah it's good to raise that level.

• Options
    Moonlight Tales is about the closest I think to a "Better Vampires" style of overhaul.

Nah. Moonlight Tales adds some flavor to werewolf but it adds no QOL stuff. You need Werewolf Mastery for that.

Stuff like corpse looting, being able to equip a weapon so that you don't have to change back to human form to get through a spider web blockade (really, Bethesda? really?) being able to transform at will, being able to give yourself high health regeneration like, you know, wrewolves in every fucking werewolf fiction ever instead of the terrible vanilla bullshit.

etc.

• Options
    Oh in addition to turning up the level for random werebeast encounters (or disabling them, I find they kill important npcs and add little to the play experience) you should also disable werewolf hunters.

They are weaker than hired thugs but drop very expensive loot so I have found them to be basically sad little loot pinatas that just make me feel like I'm running an exploit.

• Options
    Finally ran into my first monster from that Japanese website's monster pack and it just used the fire fire atronarch animations and exploded into a similar corpse.....I'm so disappointed.

• Options
    Finally ran into my first monster from that Japanese website's monster pack and it just used the fire fire atronarch animations and exploded into a similar corpse.....I'm so disappointed.

But did it take 3 episodes to charge up its attacks whilst loudly announcing what it was attacking with?

• Options

But did it take 3 episodes to charge up its attacks whilst loudly announcing what it was attacking with?

No, just sing song and flame.
    7dcd8cd0.jpg

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    As I mentioned a few days ago, I recently got a new video card, which means that now I'm lusting after mods that improve visuals. I wanted to ask you folks what prettying mods you're running.

I've already got things like:
    All the aMidianBorn retextures
    Static Mesh Improvement Mod
    Ruins Clutter Improved
    XCE
    Realistic Lighting Overhaul
    Climates of Tamriel
    some or other LOD improvement thing
    A performance ENB, but I'm gonna look into getting a pretty ENB

I'm mostly looking for "lore-friendly" mods, to use an over-used term (it's one thing to re-texture wooden furniture to have a different grain, and another thing to re-texture mudcrabs into Pikachus), but I'll gladly check out all recommendations.

• Options
    (Now bracing myself for dozens and dozens of nude mod recommendations.)

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    You really need one of water mods - pick Pure Waters, W.A.T.E.R. or Realistic Water Two. I think that Pure Waters is best, but YMMV.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Not sure why that isn't the thread title already.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Some of the stuff I have that improves visuals (that you haven't listed)

Characters:
    Coverkhajiits
    Ethereal Elven Overhaul
    Necromancy - Undead FX
    Superior Lore-Friendly Hair (Rough)
    Beards
    Brows
    The Eyes of Beauty

Environment:
    Better Dynamic Snow
    Ethereal Auroras
    Ethereal Clouds
    Moon Glow
    Rainbows
    Splash of Rain
    Shooting Stars
    No Snow Under the Roof
    SkyFalls + SkyMills
    Red Mountain Erupts
    Skyrealism - Grass
    Real Roads for Skyrim
    Skyrim Better Roads
    Lanterns of Skyrim
    Skyrim Flora Overhaul
    SNOW
    Windmills resized

Textures:
    Deadly Spell Impacts
    Enhanced Blood Textures
    Better Shadowmarks
    Designs of the Nords
    Dragon Glyphs HD - Fixed
    Enhanced Night Skyrim
    Fhaarkas Softer Animal Fur
    Finer Dust
    Hanging Moss replacer
    High Definition Ivy
    Nicer Snowflakes
    Real Ice
    Realistic Smoke and Embers
    Rens HD Shrines
    Rustic Windows
    Superior Rock Textures
    Ultimate HD Fire Effects
    Ultimate HD Torch
    Visible Windows

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    You really need one of water mods - pick Pure Waters, W.A.T.E.R. or Realistic Water Two. I think that Pure Waters is best, but YMMV.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to list that one - I've got Pure Waters.

I also tried replacing CoT with Pure Weather at one point, and man, man did that ratchet up the darkness at night. I couldn't play like that, so I swapped it back (I'm the kind of person who isn't particularly interested in hardcore realism/difficulty in my open sandbox steal-'em-ups, so I'm totally cool with the brightly-lit nights and dungeons that vanilla Skyrim has).

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    CoT with supreme storms added is ridiculous

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    one thing I was wondering when you have the Vanilla HD texture packs where do they fall in priority to other texture packs.

• Options
    Fairly certain textures override the official "high-res" DLC.

In general I'd say there is not really any point to getting the official high-res DLC. It has bugs and the community has done more at better quality.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'd like to play Morrowind sometime, but I'm waiting for two things:

1. a graphics card that's worth a shit - seriously, I sometimes struggle with DOTA 2

2. The OpenMW project hitting 1.0

Because running Morrowind through PlayOnLinux and WINE works fairly well and all, but if it just ran natively on my machine, that'd be the bees knees.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Skyrim Flora Overhaul, if only for the giant lone pine trees they add to Whiterun Hold.

Falkreath is still my favorite Hold in the game, but boy the things that mod adds to Whiterun visually really gives it a run for its money.

• Options
    one thing I was wondering when you have the Vanilla HD texture packs where do they fall in priority to other texture packs.
    If you're just dumping raw mods into Skyrim's Data subfolder, I think the HD texture packs provide the base that is the overridden by mods (same way that the base game master files provide content that's overridden by mods).

If you're using Mod Organizer, I THINK it will let you pick which mod any particular resource (whether a texture, mesh, animation, or whatever) comes from. So I think you can say "give me all the weapon re-skins from Mod X, but the steel longsword re-skin from Mod Y".

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'd like to play Morrowind sometime, but I'm waiting for two things:

1. a graphics card that's worth a shit - seriously, I sometimes struggle with DOTA 2

2. The OpenMW project hitting 1.0

Because running Morrowind through PlayOnLinux and WINE works fairly well and all, but if it just ran natively on my machine, that'd be the bees knees.

I've been playing OpenMW on an Acrer c720 with some integrated Intel bullshit and am having a pretty great time.

august on
This discussion has been closed.