Options

I'm Not Sorry [Feminism]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    UK: Bad at newspapers. Bad at not being jerks to poor people. Bad at mortgaging the country's intellectual future to try and buy votes from uninformed bigots. Wait no they're good at that last thing.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've got kids! And the US system is hot bullshit!

Things you are entitled to if you are a lady and acquire a baby:

Federally, you can get FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) leave if you've been in your job for a certain amount of time. It entitles you to 12 unpaid weeks of leave following the birth of your child. A lot of employers will let you use paid leave to cover those 12 weeks so you keep getting paid, but not always!

Things you are entitled to if you are a man and you acquire a baby:

Same FMLA, employers tend to be way less helpful with letting you use your paid leave to cover the time. When my wife had our first kid she could use her sick time to cover the FMLA amount, which was great, but I couldn't. I ended up using all of my vacation time, which amounted to 5 weeks off because I'd been hoarding it for the entire time I worked there, but that sucked!

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    @Peen do you happen to know if that applies to adoption as well?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    I feel like the only ones you can really say 100% are doing feminism wrong are TERFs

cause fuckem

what is terf

Unless for some reason you feel a requirement to see proof that among the everything else women can be just as good as men at there is also included "violent hateful sexist bigotry", I suggest you don't enquire further.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Well there was all that unfortunate business with Scotland last year

Well honestly, what more could have possibly been done to encourage the Scots to vote for independence?

Especially the women.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Fuck this plot trope on television dramas where a professional woman is accosted by her partner and confronted with a "It's me or the job" ultimatum. It happened on Castle and it was bullshit and it just happened on Perception.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    I stopped watching Castle once they actually started dating

What even is the POINT

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Peen do you happen to know if that applies to adoption as well?

Unfortunately it almost certainly doesn't. Typically to use FMLA you have to show proof that you or a family member is in some kind of medical crisis of a sort. This typically requires a doctor to sign off on it. Now if a doctor will sign off there is no real way to contest it by the employer despite what they might bluster and fuss about. I have had employers try to strong arm me out of it, but I know my rights. Adoption would be a hard one to get a MD to support. A therapist with a PhD might be more willing to, but something tells me it would be a rare therapist that would stick their neck out like that.

• Options

What even is the POINT

Yup.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Well honestly, what more could have possibly been done to encourage the Scots to vote for independence?

Especially the women.

So cringe.

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

Especially the women.

So cringe.

Ugh I think I just vomited in my mouth

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    FMLA covers adoption; it gives you up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave time. And at least for me, my job says that's the only official policy I can use as far as Paternity leave, unless I don't qualify for FMLA. Then it's just one week off and my company will "allow" the father to use any remaining vacation time after the child's birth.

Maternity leave is a bit more unclear, since apparently the Supreme Court case for it may not be settled yet. It's in this weird "disability" grey area as far as the company is concerned, since it's an act that happened outside of work that prevents the mother from working (even if she is physically capable) for a period of time.

edit: Both of these are for Non-Management employees, no idea what it's like for Management/Corporate.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Peen do you happen to know if that applies to adoption as well?

Wording straight off the Department of Labor's website is:

Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
    the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
    the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;

So yeah, you should be able to get it for adoption, but like Gnizmo said employers can be real dicks about it and it's still 12 weeks unpaid, it's entirely up to your company's policies to determine whether you can get paid during it somehow.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    it's an act that happened outside of work

Well, perhaps in most cases.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    tynic wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    it's an act that happened outside of work

Well, perhaps in most cases.
    Well, if it happens at work, the kid automatically becomes property of the company.

"Promoting from within" indeed.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm german and a father currently on parental leave.

Germany has paid maternity leave (100% of your net income) for 6 weeks before and 8 weeks after the due date. You can waive the 6 weeks before but you can't work the 8 weeks after.
    One or both parents can take up to 3 years of parental leave and have the right to keep their job and go back to the same position. (Obv. not for contracts with an end date)

Also the government pays 66% of your net income for 12-14 months shared between the parents. You get the last 2 only if they are taken by the other parent (so you can share: 7-7 or 5-9 or 12-2 or 12-0 but not 14-0). That means it's still pretty common for dads to take at most those two months. (I took 7)

We do have a right to child care from the first birthday (with a co-pay depending on income) or you get 150€/month if you leave your child at home (something the Bavarian Christian Conservative party fought hard for) also you get 184€/month just for having the child.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    In Ireland maternity leave is pretty alright. 22 weeks at full pay, and another 16 weeks unpaid if you want it. Any annual leave you would have been entitled to during your leave is still available to you at the end, which is somewhere between 27 and 31 days, depending on grade. The 9 public holidays are given to you as concession days if they fall during your leave, as far as I know.

There's parental leave for either parent too, which in my profession at least, can be used to work a 4 day week until it runs out, if you want. Otherwise it can be taken as a block.

The majority of the above applies to parents who have a stillbirth, and if a mother dies in childbirth or up to 20 weeks after, the father gets something like 5 months paid leave.

Any days taken for pregnancy related illness or appointments are paid, and not taken from your sick leave allowance.

I don't think we do too badly, but paternity leave could probably be better.

Bé Chuille on
  • Options
    Turns out there's also a ton of options for breaks or shortening workdays for parents who are breastfeeding, to facilitate it. I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    and if a mother dies in childbirth or up to 20 weeks after, the father gets something like 5 months paid leave.

That's quite interesting. I wonder what happens if the father dies during that time instead.

• Options
    The highest-level eligible bachelor at the firm must step up.

• Options
    I need a high level eligible bachelor.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Is that WoW levels

• Options
    I always get the ineligible ones.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

What even is the POINT

Because an eternity of will they or won't they is the absolute worst.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    and if a mother dies in childbirth or up to 20 weeks after, the father gets something like 5 months paid leave.

That's quite interesting. I wonder what happens if the father dies during that time instead.

It's not mentioned specifically but there's a lot of leeway with how sick leave is taken. If a family member is sick or passes away there's force majeure and compassionate leave but if a doctor signs you off due to stress etc on sick leave you can take months off, in theory.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

What even is the POINT

Disagree

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

What even is the POINT

Disagree

I disagree with your disagreement, and think that you should give current Castle a try. With the exception of the terrible season six/seven cliffhanger, Castle has been better these last few seasons than it's ever been.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Is that WoW levels

Level 100 shadow priests only.

• Options
    I was a shadow priest!

For a time

But I thought that made me ineligible, aren't priests supposed to be, like, celibate

• Options
    I was a disc/holy priest

for a time!

Many years ago...!

• Options

What even is the POINT

Because people can have a close working relationship and friendship without romantic overtones, and you can have a compelling TV show without it. So far Elementary has done a really friggin' great job with this.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Tears in the rain

• Options
    People treated me wierd in WoW when they found out I was a girl.

• Options

What even is the POINT

Disagree

I disagree with your disagreement, and think that you should give current Castle a try. With the exception of the terrible season six/seven cliffhanger, Castle has been better these last few seasons than it's ever been.

Naw man the will-they-or-won't-they is what I loved so much

And I

LOVE

Nathan Fillion

But I just can't. I'm all "meh" to their wedded bliss or whatever

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

What even is the POINT

Because people can have a close working relationship and friendship without romantic overtones, and you can have a compelling TV show without it. So far Elementary has done a really friggin' great job with this.

But they didn't do that at aallll

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options

What even is the POINT

That is true

But I hate that show

But yes, the "we are not interested in each other" part is excellent

• Options
    I watched arcane missiles glitter in the dark near the Dark Portal

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    People treated me wierd in WoW when they found out I was a girl.

Cooties are not bound only to this feeble flesh.

• Options
    I watched one episode of Castle and was confused about why they decided to remake Murder She Wrote with Nathan Fillion, but I guess that's their business.

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »

What even is the POINT

But they didn't do that at aallll

wait they didn't?

This is what I get for only watching it when literally NOTHING ELSE IS ON

This discussion has been closed.