Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Ah Alien Isolation. I know I've kind of been ignoring you this past month or two. I heard you crawling around in the air vents of the house, just watching and waiting for me to play you again.
    Well, you still got it. You stillll....got it.....
    So tense. It's dark here now. Was that one of the cats knocking stuff over?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Poseidon wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    I don't know why you'd want to play anything with a controller though.

Ever try playing a fighting game on a mouse and keyboard? It's the lone exception, but it's there!
    I play fighting games on keyboard. The only issue is some inputs aren't registered when multiple keys are pressed. But that's because my keyboard is old.

What happens when you take a very nerdy high school population and put it in range of computers in a school where a high proportion of the population could be considers "thugs" of all creeds and colors?
    Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter emulated on every fucking computer and tourneys going on in every classroom

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'm stuck in Ori. I'm at the Valley of the Wind.

EDIT - I retract my question, I forgot how to Down + Jump to get under a light platform.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So, why isn't there a sequel to Space Marine? It seems like it has the kind of oomph that would give a sequel; hordes of monsters to shoot, plenty of grimdark, and an interesting combo of shooter and hack n' slash mechanics. Not to mention a world that seems at once doomed and yet I want to know more.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Been playing Ori and the Blind Forest today. Is it just me or is there no reason to use the fire over the Bash attack? Because I mean with fire you're doing damage but Bash can intercept almost any enemy, redirect almost every projectile attack, launch the enemy in a chosen direction, can be chained to ludicrous amounts, and if you pick the abilities on the tree it can run over the enemy and deal a good bit of damage. I mean I could take my time going down a hallway launching fire bolts or I could charge down it using Bash to leap from one enemy to the next without ever touching the ground.

Madican on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, why isn't there a sequel to Space Marine? It seems like it has the kind of oomph that would give a sequel; hordes of monsters to shoot, plenty of grimdark, and an interesting combo of shooter and hack n' slash mechanics. Not to mention a world that seems at once doomed and yet I want to know more.

The first issue is that its Relic's work, and Relic is owned by Sega now, which leaves a great deal up in the air. Relic's wiki hasn't been updated but they have been busy maintaining Company of Heroes 2. Where they go from here or if another company takes up the title is anyone's guess.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

The first issue is that its Relic's work, and Relic is owned by Sega now, which leaves a great deal up in the air. Relic's wiki hasn't been updated but they have been busy maintaining Company of Heroes 2. Where they go from here or if another company takes up the title is anyone's guess.

Also, whenever the question is "why wasn't there more of X?", the answer is usually "a line on a chart was down where we wanted it to be up". Basically, it's always a money thing. Why is there no Bulletstorm 2? Cause it probably didn't sell well enough to justify another one. Why is there no Shadow Complex 2? Because Epic makes more money with less work making infinite (heh) Infinity Blade sequels.

But yes, all that THQ stuff was weird.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

Games Workshop are not the sharpest knives in the drawer when it comes to handing out their IP for games.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I wondered the same question about Space Marine when I had cleared it. Games Workshop silliness alone could explain the lack of a follow-up, but cooljammer's got it in one: game just didn't make the megabucks at a time when the writing was probably on the wall for THQ (Homefront came out earlier that year, costing $Texas to make and making back $sandwich).

Apparently there were plans for a sequel to Space Marine that would involve Titus being sent to the Eye of Terror, going rogue, and returning to his chapter to clean house. The thought of what might have been sometimes interrupts my sleep.

Like now, for instance.

Sorry, I'm just... it's starting to hit me like a, um... uh... two-ton... heavy thing.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Games Workshop has said they still want to do stuff with Relic. I mean, they are fucking nuts but they aren't crazy. And not only has Relic been maintaining Company of Heroes, they are also porting all Dawn of War stuff over to Steamworks. That includes all the original Dawn of War stuff they did (which probably means not Soulstorm) as well as all three Dawn of War II games. That says a lot right there.

Man. It would be great if Relic could talk Sega into taking another shot at Space Marine. Come on Sega, you can do it.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    So lately, I've been using Steam Streaming to stream my games over to an old desktop, and I've been noticing that after about 30-40 minutes of play, the sound starts to die out. It starts out as just a little crackle, then it starts stuttering, and eventually all I get is the sound of a robot farting. I'm also occasionally seeing a message saying "Slow Decode"; not sure if that's related.

Anybody experience something like this? Any ideas to fix it?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Is Enhanced Steam acting up for anyone else? On my wishlist it's not showing the Early Access banner and it's not letting me rollover to see best current and historic prices.

It's working fine for other people's wishlists, just not mine. Is Enhanced Steam judging me?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Space Marine also wasn't helped by being called 'Space Marine'. Even here people gave it shit for such a generic name and when people basically associate the concept of space marine to either Doom or Halo, you lose something when it turns out to be WH40K. You can't get much more niche than a spinoff of Warhammer.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    To be fair, WH40K had been using the term since 1987.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Stolls wrote: »
    Apparently there were plans for a sequel to Space Marine that would involve Titus being sent to the Eye of Terror, going rogue, and returning to his chapter to clean house. The thought of what might have been sometimes interrupts my sleep.

Like now, for instance.

Sorry, I'm just... it's starting to hit me like a, um... uh... two-ton... heavy thing.
    Drake wrote: »
    Games Workshop has said they still want to do stuff with Relic. I mean, they are fucking nuts but they aren't crazy. And not only has Relic been maintaining Company of Heroes, they are also porting all Dawn of War stuff over to Steamworks. That includes all the original Dawn of War stuff they did (which probably means not Soulstorm) as well as all three Dawn of War II games. That says a lot right there.

Man. It would be great if Relic could talk Sega into taking another shot at Space Marine. Come on Sega, you can do it.

I'm not sure if going rogue is more significant than in the real world, because this game is my first entry into the WH40K lore and world, and I'm only at, like, mission 7? But that still sounds wonderful and, based on the gameplay I'm experiencing here, sounds like a blast.
    Space Marine also wasn't helped by being called 'Space Marine'. Even here people gave it shit for such a generic name and when people basically associate the concept of space marine to either Doom or Halo, you lose something when it turns out to be WH40K. You can't get much more niche than a spinoff of Warhammer.

I equate the term to WH40K, Starcraft, and those dudes from Aliens even though I don't think that was their official title.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Going rogue is punishable by death. Most things are punishable by death.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Going rogue is punishable by death. Most things are punishable by death.

Well, I was kind of inferring that much.

I'm just hoping they'll touch more on whatever this "Warp" craziness is.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Didn't Sega just bail on traditional gaming and switch to casual only?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Holy shit, @Pixelated Pixie and @Geth... Thank you. Ori and the Blind Forest is incredible. This art style and presentation is really a home run for me. It's beautiful, and the gameplay is nostalgic of Super Metroid and Zelda themes and I am loving every second of it. The accompanying soundtrack and design just helps push it farther. Like damn.... is it too early to call GOTY?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Steam peaked above 9 million concurrent users for the first time in history. Wouldn't be surprised to see it reach at least 10 million during the summer sale.

Isorn on
  • Options

That would be a huge waste of development teams like Creative Assembly and Relic. I don't see them being very successful in the casual arena.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am trying to sell all of my Steam inventory/cards so I can afford Cities: Skylines. (Well, at least knock a few bucks off it)

I feel like I'm selling off all of one addiction to fuel another.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

That would be a huge waste of development teams like Creative Assembly and Relic. I don't see them being very successful in the casual arena.
    Looking into it further seems they aren't going full casual, they are just chasing the big money movement in gaming right now, going mobile and online only. So maybe a Warhammer moba.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Thanks @jclast for some Humble links to Reaper and Fist of Awesome!

• Options
    @jclast classed me up with a humble code for Ascendant! I've had my eye on this one for a while now, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out! Thanks jclast!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Nobody on my friends list has these wishlisted. Open to general PA group - enjoy!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ori and the Blind Forest completed. Fun little game, though I really don't like how some areas become inaccessible later. In a Metroidvania that seems like a very stupid thing to do because it's easy to think you'll come back later with additional skills. Missed one Energy Cell because of it.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    On a different subject, as the thread's resident F1 nut, I feel it is my duty to inform you that Bundle Stars has big discounts on Codemasters' F1 games. This may have to do with the new F1 season starting this weekend.

F1 2010, 2011 and 2012 are all 75% off, 2013 is 66% off and 2014 is 50% off.

If you're thinking of buying one, my recommendation is F1 2013; and preferably in its slightly more expensive, DLC-including Classic Edition guise. However, it has been on 75% discount on Steam before, multiple times, and I'm sure will be again, so feel free to wait if you want.

If you just want a cheaper one to mess around with, go for 2011. I much preferred its handling model over its immediate successor's. But 2013 is the pinnacle so far.

Hopefully 2015 - the first "next-gen" one - will be glorious, but it'll be later in the year.

Apparently Steam is celebrating the start of the F1 season as well, with all titles 66% off. So, better if you were contemplating 2014, the same for 2013, and worse for 2010-12. Kart racing spin-off (heh) F1 Race Stars is on the same sale; notably, so is its DLC.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Nobody on my friends list has these wishlisted. Open to general PA group - enjoy!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Why, what a day for gifting from @jclast! I expressed interest in the Speedrunners game only yesterday, as it looks like a great fun time online with friends, and jclast goes and gifts it to me today, along with the DLC packs!

Thanks jclast!!

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Ori and the Blind Forest completed. Fun little game, though I really don't like how some areas become inaccessible later. In a Metroidvania that seems like a very stupid thing to do because it's easy to think you'll come back later with additional skills. Missed one Energy Cell because of it.

That always annoys me.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Many thanks to @jclast for being classy enough to gift me Potatoman Seeks The Troof! I shall indeed seek out the Troof! <3<3<3

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    The classy @jclast sent me a lovely key for a the lovely game Lovely Planet! Big thanks!

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

That always annoys me.

That is a little worrisome. I hate not knowing if should be trying hard to get to something or if I'll be coming back to it later, and this knowledge will make it that much more stressful.

But on the other hand, oh well, it is so fun, beautiful and just a a joy to play.

• Options
    I'll put the locations where it happens under a spoiler so you can look if you want.
    It's the three dungeons with the elements. Once you restore their locations you can't go back in.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Aliens was in 1986 and there was a buttload of literature that used it before then.

I don't mind that they used the a generic name that had already been used, but the fact that they trademarked it is super gross.

EDIT: I mean, look at this
    Trademark controversy
    In December 2012, online retailer Amazon.com removed the e-book Spots the Space Marine by M.C.A. Hogarth at the request of games company Games Workshop. They claimed the use of the phrase "space marine" infringed on their trademark of the term for their game Warhammer 40,000.

Fuck those guys.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Reminds me when some people left Ritual to make a casual game company, and then wound up getting bought by said casual game company.

I wonder if Levellord is making giant maps for Luxor or whatever now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Aliens was in 1986 and there was a buttload of literature that used it before then.

I don't mind that they used the a generic name that had already been used, but the fact that they trademarked it is super gross.

EDIT: I mean, look at this
    Trademark controversy
    In December 2012, online retailer Amazon.com removed the e-book Spots the Space Marine by M.C.A. Hogarth at the request of games company Games Workshop. They claimed the use of the phrase "space marine" infringed on their trademark of the term for their game Warhammer 40,000.

Fuck those guys.
    The rest of that quote, that you interestingly declined to include:
    In February 2013, the row received a lot of publicity, with authors such as Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross and John Scalzi supporting Hogarth, and Amazon.com then restored the e-book for sale.

Also from Wikipedia:
    The earliest known use of the term "space marine" was by Bob Olsen in his short story "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" (Amazing Stories, Volume 7, Number 8, November 1932)

So yes, the term has been in use for a long, long time; long predating any of our normal pop culture uses of it.

Aliens, incidentally, never referred to its characters as "space marines"; they were always "colonial marines", although they're the obvious non-gaming use of the trope and always get brought up in any discussion of the term's origins.

And trademark law is seriously broken, that's not new. GW did have a tabletop game called Space Marine out in 1989, incidentally; as part of their Epic Scale 40K series (now just known as Epic).

Jazz on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Wow. I've made a eight bucks so far today after putting all of my cards up on the marketplace.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The earliest known use of the term "space marine" was by Bob Olsen in his short story "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" (Amazing Stories, Volume 7, Number 8, November 1932)

and now I know that Space Marines are really based on Horse Marines
    "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" (Amazing Stories, Volume 7, Number 8, November 1932), a light-hearted work whose title is a play on the song "Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines"

Zavian on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I hope they soon fix the issue of the dash in Youtube links causing the link to not function.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.