Options

American Primitivism [chat]

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    what's bad about those squares?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    ludious popped up on bnet and it's like seeing someone return from the dead

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    people on r/mildlyinfuriating posting art that is intentionally off-kilter

I appreciate the meta-ness of it all - being mildly piqued that nerds don't understand art
    QCUUZ5Zl.jpg
    Sorry Eddy, but this is dumb.

I don't care if it's bad art, or stupid, or dumb, or whatever

Saying "artwork" in skeptical terms illustrates how stupid the person who submitted it is

it's a way of saying "this is shit art". Come on.

No, it's denying its arthood entirely; using the word derisively in quotes to imply that it is in fact not

These are very different implications

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "it's good / bad x" is a completely different argument than "it is / isn't x", and conflating the two is baffling

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i don't consider art a meaningful word

people just use it to mean "i like this" or perhaps "i see merit in this"

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I appreciate the meta-ness of it all - being mildly piqued that nerds don't understand art
    QCUUZ5Zl.jpg

Saying "artwork" in skeptical terms illustrates how stupid the person who submitted it is

No, it's denying its arthood entirely; using the word derisively in quotes to imply that it is in fact not

Yes. And people who do this are operating on the dumbest logical fallacy ever.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    And then in the comments there's the inevitable "oh so if I take a shit that's art then, got it" dbag response, completely ignoring the actual arguments proposed about what art is

lol at these people

who cares if people don't care about art

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's pretty weird when people feel the need to enforce their personal sense of taste instead of just acknowledging that they dislike something and stopping there.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

QCUUZ5Zl.jpg

while you're technically right, i'm more inclined to agree with the person saying those squares aren't art

in the end the message they're trying to communicate is that it is mattering less than two shits between biscuit

• Options

QCUUZ5Zl.jpg

well, yeah

because to a lot of people shit art isn't art

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It's pretty weird when people feel the need to enforce their personal sense of taste instead of just acknowledging that they dislike something and stopping there.

how dare you

*dropkicks an anime*

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

I think it's useful, or rather, calling someone one of the many subdivisions of art is useful. Saying "this is a poem" forces people to evaluate it as such. That people express their dislike by denying its poemhood is dumb.

• Options
    Choco developing for that hot new console, Game Boy

gameboy color, man!

now with 4 colors

how dare you insult my artistic vision

my games belong only on the original brick game boy

• Options
    edited March 2015
    god help you if you boot my game up on a game boy colour and use one of the the key combinations that tints the whole thing a different hue

god

help

you

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the only real art is old paintings of jesus and rich people

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

QCUUZ5Zl.jpg

You said this last time. And then your argument for it was in itself a logical fallacy.

I thought that droll.

• Options

I just consider it a short word for artifice/artifact in that it's something intentionally made by a sapient being. Anything more specific gets annoying fast.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

I think it's useful, or rather, calling someone one of the many subdivisions of art is useful. Saying "this is a poem" forces people to evaluate it as such. That people express their dislike by denying its poemhood is dumb.

little dog
    crossing street
    motor car
    sausage meat
    by Vanguard

• Options

what's your definition of a poem?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    or less rigorously, what things are clearly not poems and what things are

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I would rather suck off a shotgun than argue with reddit about what 'art' means

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Look you can call it a poem if you want but unless it rhymes I won't believe you.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I would appreciate that off-kilter square as a desktop wallpaper, or as a painting hanging in a middle-management office; but there it stops, I think.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015

My definition of a poem is that someone has called it such. My definition of poetry is "the art of language". Calling something a poem tells me there is something interesting or noteworthy happening with language, or at least someone else thinks so.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Does shotgun mean something specific in gay culture, or

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Simon is a savant

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I would appreciate that off-kilter square as a desktop wallpaper, or as a painting hanging in a middle-management office; but there it stops, I think.

the color choice makes it just the right kind of soul-sucking dull that middle management is the perfect place for it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    if your poem ain't made up of rhyming couplets don't even talk 2 me...

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

The heart of the matter: Reddit is worst

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

QCUUZ5Zl.jpg

You said this last time. And then your argument for it was in itself a logical fallacy.

I thought that droll.

What was fallacious about it exactly?

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

It's not art unless it depicts the plight of the friend-zoned straight white male atheist libertarian and I can buy it with bitcoins.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

My definition of a poem is that someone has called it such. My definition of poetry is "the art of language". Calling something a poem tells me there is something interesting or noteworthy happening with language.

Fair definition.

But like, why is it less stupid than any other definition

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

QCUUZ5Zl.jpg

I thought that droll.

What was fallacious about it exactly?

I do not recall the argument only that it immediately struck me as such.

Then I said something derisive about blue poles.

• Options

My definition of a poem is that someone has called it such. My definition of poetry is "the art of language". Calling something a poem tells me there is something interesting or noteworthy happening with language.

Fair definition.

But like, why is it less stupid than any other definition

Why is any word's definition more or less stupid than another?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    It's a color choice that allows it to fade into the background, which is ideal for office ambience but not for framed and lit presentation, I daresay.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Having spent incredibly little brain power thinking about the definition of a poem I will go with a slightly abbreviated version of wikipedia's definition until such a time that I forget about it or find another one I like more

Poetry is a form of literature that uses qualities of language to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning

which works for me. I don't see any good argument for calling all language a poem. Pointless word, then.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Eh, plenty of stuff acknowledged as poems are all about sound rather than deeper meaning.

So.

Wikifail.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Finally submitted this paper to a journal

should have done it a couple weeks ago, but it's perversely hard to motivate (why not a few more days...?) when turnaround times are absolute minimum 3 months. What's a few days on top of three months?

Boo state of the field.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Come on guys, words don't have meaning anymore we are a post-vocabulary society.

If you really had something to say you'd say it with emojisms.

This discussion has been closed.