Options

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I might need to fight him again to see if it feels different, but after one shotting him on my first character I would definitely not describe Martyr L as anything like Artorias or Fume Knight. And no, he wasn't bugged for me. I got the full treatment of point blank magic explosions to the face, and all that. I just didn't find him very hard. I found him very easy to parry and visceral any time he was meleeing, and his spells were really easy to avoid outside of being point blank and not noticing the big red skull or whatever a couple times, but even that was easily healed off.

If he has intense branching melee attacks that are unpredictable, I didn't notice.

I love the character and the fight too, make no mistake. Very cool, and honestly the run up to him across the roof tops was one of the very memorable boss approaches for me in the whole game.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The thing that Bloodborne does real well is build up that dread right before you step into a boss area.

You see it and it's moody as FUCK and fog and it's wide-open and you're brains doin "OH GOD THIS IS A BOSS AREA ISN'T IT SHIT IS GOIN DOWN".

• Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    In the second phase, he'll jump up and dive at you and swing. At first that's it, but sometimes at the end he'll immediately turn and catch you if you go in then.

Overall he's one of my favorite too. Only thing is, he only drop his crown. Whereas with Artorius and Fume Knight, you can be them! Full Fume Knight set, with the big and small sword, and using pyro spells too, that was just my favorite thing. I would try to pvp like that, just melee first 50% health, the pop pyro after that, and immediately if I see Veldstet.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I might need to fight him again to see if it feels different, but after one shotting him on my first character I would definitely not describe Martyr L as anything like Artorias or Fume Knight. And no, he wasn't bugged for me. I got the full treatment of point blank magic explosions to the face, and all that. I just didn't find him very hard. I found him very easy to parry and visceral any time he was meleeing, and his spells were really easy to avoid outside of being point blank and not noticing the big red skull or whatever a couple times, but even that was easily healed off.

If he has intense branching melee attacks that are unpredictable, I didn't notice.

I love the character and the fight too, make no mistake. Very cool, and honestly the run up to him across the roof tops was one of the very memorable boss approaches for me in the whole game.

Maybe you fought Marty Logarius, the little brother who stand in for him sometimes. :D

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I rang my bell right outside the lantern near the creepy dude and I think by the time I'd gotten to the main steps shortcut I had two people join in.

Oh, does it not matter where in an area you ring your bell?

I'm not entirely sure - but I range it at the top of the first steps near the campfire and was joined maybe 20 seconds later when I was sneaking up on the Scythe guy near the main stairs.

I'll have to try that later tonight. I'd prefer to take her down on my own for the first run through though.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Man, I one-shot Logarius.

I'm very surprised to see such adoration for him.

I think this is just Bloodborne's biggest weaknesses is that with a strong enough weapon and an offensive mindset most of the boss AIs don't even run through half their attacks. They are easy to "trick" into spamming certain attacks even on accident.

Likewise I see a lot of hate for Erebetias but I one-shot her too. I have more respect for the boss having done some co-op against her in a Chalice Dungeon. Between half-health and the fight taking longer I finally saw some of her "scarier moves".

I should go through on NG+ and see the bosses again. When I arrived to NG+ on my first character it felt bad: underleveled and with no +10 weapon the enemies seemed unreasonably durable.

Now though with my second character who has done 90% of the Chalice Dungeons I suspect I would find the enemies fairly squishy. They are about as durable as my first time through at least.

For me the "MVP" boss was the non-secret Final Boss. When I first arrived at him and tried to beat him it took about a dozen attempts and I mustered every conceivable resource: throwing knives, beast blood, fire weapons, etc. Even with him pushing me into NG+ against my will I adored the fight.

I one-shot a lot of bosses even in my first playthrough. I feel like a boss falls short if I don't die at least once. I played through Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 on PC and I rarely play console games. The first bosses were very tough for me but I felt like it was very much a muscle memory and control scheme learning curve. I relished them still though. It took me many attempts to beat Blood Starved Beast and Amelia. From there though the difficulty curve of the game did not go up fast enough. I suppose I broke through the controller barrier.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Suneater wrote: »
    In the second phase, he'll jump up and dive at you and swing. At first that's it, but sometimes at the end he'll immediately turn and catch you if you go in then.

Overall he's one of my favorite too. Only thing is, he only drop his crown. Whereas with Artorius and Fume Knight, you can be them! Full Fume Knight set, with the big and small sword, and using pyro spells too, that was just my favorite thing. I would try to pvp like that, just melee first 50% health, the pop pyro after that, and immediately if I see Veldstet.

Nice. I think I just dodged into and under his leap each time and didn't immediately follow up, so I wouldn't have seen him counter after the leap.

And yeah, one of the things I miss most in Bloodborne are the armors and weapons from Souls bosses and what not. Bloodborne is amazing, and while you can get SOME of the boss stuff like Father G armor and what not, it's just not the same across the board. =)

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I rang my bell right outside the lantern near the creepy dude and I think by the time I'd gotten to the main steps shortcut I had two people join in.

Oh, does it not matter where in an area you ring your bell?

I'm not entirely sure - but I range it at the top of the first steps near the campfire and was joined maybe 20 seconds later when I was sneaking up on the Scythe guy near the main stairs.

I'll have to try that later tonight. I'd prefer to take her down on my own for the first run through though.

On the plus side she is super easy to get to once you open that shortcut, so it makes retries pretty trivial aside from needing more blood vials and such.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    I don't think the quality of a boss fight is determined by the difficulty, but by the build up, setting, visual and audio style, and what the game requires from you to defeat it. Overall Bloodborne does pretty well on those first 3 parts, but some bosses just needs 1 thing to kill them. Like Rom, Witch, and Shadow you just have to run in and swing a couple times, get out, repeat till dead. Logarius was a full blown boss fight with lots of things to do. The difference is like just shooting freethrows 10 times in a row versus playing 1 on 1 against someone in basketball.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Free throws would be 100% more interesting if giant baby god-spider's tried to eat their face while they were trying to do them.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Man, I one-shot Logarius.

I'm very surprised to see such adoration for him.

I think this is just Bloodborne's biggest weaknesses is that with a strong enough weapon and an offensive mindset most of the boss AIs don't even run through half their attacks. They are easy to "trick" into spamming certain attacks even on accident.

Likewise I see a lot of hate for Erebetias but I one-shot her too. I have more respect for the boss having done some co-op against her in a Chalice Dungeon. Between half-health and the fight taking longer I finally saw some of her "scarier moves".

I should go through on NG+ and see the bosses again. When I arrived to NG+ on my first character it felt bad: underleveled and with no +10 weapon the enemies seemed unreasonably durable.

Now though with my second character who has done 90% of the Chalice Dungeons I suspect I would find the enemies fairly squishy. They are about as durable as my first time through at least.

For me the "MVP" boss was the non-secret Final Boss. When I first arrived at him and tried to beat him it took about a dozen attempts and I mustered every conceivable resource: throwing knives, beast blood, fire weapons, etc. Even with him pushing me into NG+ against my will I adored the fight.

I one-shot a lot of bosses even in my first playthrough. I feel like a boss falls short if I don't die at least once. I played through Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 on PC and I rarely play console games. The first bosses were very tough for me but I felt like it was very much a muscle memory and control scheme learning curve. I relished them still though. It took me many attempts to beat Blood Starved Beast and Amelia. From there though the difficulty curve of the game did not go up fast enough. I suppose I broke through the controller barrier.

I dunno, this just sounds like a thinly veiled brag post. "I one shot all the bosses you guys had a hard time with, and only had a hard time early on because I was just warming up."

Different people seem to find different bosses difficult. Like, some people swear Darkbeast was insane, and some say they killed him with little issue. A lot of it's down to the player and what they're personally good at fighting/adapting to (or not good at). I think that's more of a sign that the bosses are varied and well-made, in general, because experiences vary so much in terms of difficulty from player to player.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    BSB is the best boss in bloodborne.

Early enough that you're still trying to come to grips with everything, and he really crystalizes the whole 'this ain't your daddy's souls game' vibe.

Granted once you figure him out and fight him in chalice dungons later he's cake.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    The coop system is the hardest boss. Even when you think you've got it down, you still can't do it.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    BSB and Amelia are still way fun to fight for me, despite pasting them over and over again.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    So has anybody found any echo farming that's better than the Mergo's loft: middle leading up to the boss there? I accidentally found on NG that if I killed the first 3 shadow guys, visceral the pig, then run past the first 2 pigs and past the group of shadow guys, the pigs/shadows will fight each other and you can clean it up after for a ton of free echoes.

It was like 85k on NG while wearing all 3 +echo runes, and it's over 300k per run on NG+. Right now I'm in the process of filling out some levels on NG+ so it's nice to have a solid farming spot such as this, just wondering if anybody had found anything better.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Frei wrote: »
    snip

I dunno, this just sounds like a thinly veiled brag post. "I one shot all the bosses you guys had a hard time with, and only had a hard time early on because I was just warming up."

Different people seem to find different bosses difficult. Like, some people swear Darkbeast was insane, and some say they killed him with little issue. A lot of it's down to the player and what they're personally good at fighting/adapting to (or not good at). I think that's more of a sign that the bosses are varied and well-made, in general, because experiences vary so much in terms of difficulty from player to player.

Yeah the last lines of the post are pretty pretentious. ... and the first lines. I dunno man. That was my experience. The hardest part of the game was the beginning for me and the tail end. It was slightly disappointing. That's all I really meant. To be honest this doesn't even differ from most souls games. They're usually pretty hard at first. Then you get a grip with the controls, you find the right weapons, get some upgrades, and then most bosses become very manageable.

I don't mean to pass judgement on other players. I also think that Ludwig's + Quality build trivializes a lot of bosses because of the flexibility of the sword and the raw damage it puts out. The game was much harder with the threaded cane. Was that because the threaded cane was my first weapon and I was learning bosses with it? Or is Ludwigs too strong? I think personally think it is both.

Darkbeast is a good example of a boss that could create a lot of different perspectives too. I never saw him in my first playthrough. Completely missed him. On my second playthrough I stumbled into him after doing Rom. I outleveled him and had a lot of experience with the game. I found him very easy as I did huge chunks of his health with each swing. However he could be your second boss fight depending on how the game plays out! He would be terrifying at such a low level. Like you say playstyle and weapon choice make huge differences as well. I was shocked when my friend told me he beat the non-secret final boss in one attempt. He watched me stream the battle so he had a little knowledge of the fight going it... but doing it in one attempt? Crazy!

Yet he did all of the extra content I missed. I missed the Choir. I missed Darkbeast. I missed Cainhurst. I missed a lot on my first playthrough. Extra levels make a huge deal in Bloodborne. I think it is very easy to "outlevel" bosses because vitality and the regain system feed off of each other to make player characters very durable in this game.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Ludwig's super powerful and all but man this thing is way boring to use.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I really think people need to mention their level when they talk about how easy a certain boss was. If you go into a boss fight in this game having farmed even a small amount, or perhaps go into the boss fights in different order you may not be showing off knowledge of the boss or difficulty of it so much as the fact in Bloodborne, even more so than past souls games you can outlevel the content incredibly easily.

I like trying to get through things at as low a level as I can manage. It seems like some of the attacks in Bloodborne really feel unavoidable though, and it's kind of disappointing. There are bosses who heal and if you do not have numbing mist there is no actual way to beat them other than "level up, hit harder" that I can find. Even still, I could not beat Vicar as a starting level Waste of Skin because it took so long to get her low that the numb would wear off and she'd heal.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Ludwig's super powerful and all but man this thing is way boring to use.

I'm doing my fourth Lightning Claymore/DGS play through of DaS2. Boring and powerful is my thing. Probably why I love Ludwig's in Bloodborne.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Okay, Darkbeast Paarl is kicking my ass.

I've managed to 1-shot the Cleric Beast, Father G, even Amelia. But Paarl is just not working for me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on him compared to all the other bosses...

• Options
    Akilae wrote: »

I've managed to 1-shot the Cleric Beast, Father G, even Amelia. But Paarl is just not working for me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on him compared to all the other bosses...
    If you can get behind him and attack his rear legs/knees he'll go down for easy hits.

• Options
    sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    For the collecting every weapon trophy, does it have to all be on one character?

Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Akilae wrote: »

What worked for me was just staying under him and getting power attacks in on the back legs. dodge out when it looks like he's doing his charge up area of effect move and you should be fine since that's all that can hit you really when you're under him. he should be stunned after one or two good power attacks (if you're using a heavy-ish weapon, at least) so you can get a bunch of free hits, but just watch out after the stun ends because he likes to do his little power up/discharge after.

edit: also, if you have Henryk's armor, use that, it has really high bolt resistance.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    For me the hardest boss, judged by pure number of attempts to beat, has been the Shadows... which is funny, because it sounds like most people didn't have much trouble with them. I'm fairly confident I could kill them within 1-3 tries now though on any subsequent characters, at least.

Logarius is gonna probably top them though, I just put him off for the time being after I tried him 4-5 times with little success.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Okay.

Mergo's Wet Nurse.

Can any co-op player survive fighting her? I just lost a hundred thousand echoes because the game froze after she killed me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Like.

I can get her down to the last tenth or so of health before her combos catch up to me. I'm so freaking close.

• Options
    For me the hardest boss, judged by pure number of attempts to beat, has been the Shadows... which is funny, because it sounds like most people didn't have much trouble with them. I'm fairly confident I could kill them within 1-3 tries now though on any subsequent characters, at least.

Logarius is gonna probably top them though, I just put him off for the time being after I tried him 4-5 times with little success.

Dark Souls 2 have at least 3 fights that you would handle like the shadows, so probably most people know immediately what to do.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options

Dark Souls 2 have at least 3 fights that you would handle like the shadows, so probably most people know immediately what to do.

That's the thing though. Ruin Sentinels, beat within a few tries on my first play of DS2. They are easy because they all have the same patterns and the same speed/ranges. The Watcher and The Defender (being the only other one that comes to mind) also didn't give me much trouble, as it's pretty easy to keep them on top of each other.

• Options
    It wouldn't be so bad if all those pigs and shadows weren't in the way.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

That's the thing though. Ruin Sentinels, beat within a few tries on my first play of DS2. They are easy because they all have the same patterns and the same speed/ranges. The Watcher and The Defender (being the only other one that comes to mind) also didn't give me much trouble, as it's pretty easy to keep them on top of each other.

Undead Lords is the direct analog fight to the Shadows. The boss between Huntsmans Copse and Harvest Valley.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I got the short ritual root chalice and am level 70. Anyone wanna go dungeoneering?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    snip

Yeah the last lines of the post are pretty pretentious. ... and the first lines. I dunno man. That was my experience. The hardest part of the game was the beginning for me and the tail end. It was slightly disappointing. That's all I really meant. To be honest this doesn't even differ from most souls games. They're usually pretty hard at first. Then you get a grip with the controls, you find the right weapons, get some upgrades, and then most bosses become very manageable.

I don't mean to pass judgement on other players. I also think that Ludwig's + Quality build trivializes a lot of bosses because of the flexibility of the sword and the raw damage it puts out. The game was much harder with the threaded cane. Was that because the threaded cane was my first weapon and I was learning bosses with it? Or is Ludwigs too strong? I think personally think it is both.

Darkbeast is a good example of a boss that could create a lot of different perspectives too. I never saw him in my first playthrough. Completely missed him. On my second playthrough I stumbled into him after doing Rom. I outleveled him and had a lot of experience with the game. I found him very easy as I did huge chunks of his health with each swing. However he could be your second boss fight depending on how the game plays out! He would be terrifying at such a low level. Like you say playstyle and weapon choice make huge differences as well. I was shocked when my friend told me he beat the non-secret final boss in one attempt. He watched me stream the battle so he had a little knowledge of the fight going it... but doing it in one attempt? Crazy!

Yet he did all of the extra content I missed. I missed the Choir. I missed Darkbeast. I missed Cainhurst. I missed a lot on my first playthrough. Extra levels make a huge deal in Bloodborne. I think it is very easy to "outlevel" bosses because vitality and the regain system feed off of each other to make player characters very durable in this game.

Threaded cane is super weak early on. Definitely the least powerful of the starting weapons till later, perhaps always. In my experience, quality Ludwigs is one of the strongest builds available. It's just so powerful and versatile, particularly if you specialize slightly in STR for the cannon, which just murders bosses.
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I really think people need to mention their level when they talk about how easy a certain boss was. If you go into a boss fight in this game having farmed even a small amount, or perhaps go into the boss fights in different order you may not be showing off knowledge of the boss or difficulty of it so much as the fact in Bloodborne, even more so than past souls games you can outlevel the content incredibly easily.

I like trying to get through things at as low a level as I can manage. It seems like some of the attacks in Bloodborne really feel unavoidable though, and it's kind of disappointing. There are bosses who heal and if you do not have numbing mist there is no actual way to beat them other than "level up, hit harder" that I can find. Even still, I could not beat Vicar as a starting level Waste of Skin because it took so long to get her low that the numb would wear off and she'd heal.

I wouldn't entirely say that. Cleric Beast and Witch are huge standouts for easy bosses. In the case of Cleric Beast, that's good design, because the first boss should be the easiest, and Witch is a fun sort of easy.

I do agree that with BSB, in particular, it matters a huge amount if you walk in with a +3 weapon, or a +6 weapon and 10 more levels, the latter of which is very, very achievable without any special work at all.

I'd say Rom is difficult because you can't outlevel him, outside of massive chalice delving, and it's pretty luck based. Also the worst boss in the Souls series (IMHO worse than Bed, but I'll accept a tie), which is too bad because I like his lore.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Undead Lords is the direct analog fight to the Shadows. The boss between Huntsmans Copse and Harvest Valley.

Yeah, that and those 3 guys in the Sunken King DLC.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Forgot about that one. It didn't give me much trouble either. Really it's just a matter of killing the wheel skeletons first and for most for me. I don't know, DS2 has the easiest bosses in the series to me (DLC no withstanding), but BB has a few that really gave me a rough time, and I really couldn't say why. It might just be I'm having a hard time adjusting to the faster pace. It still throws me off sometimes.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Wait, what? Mergo has a zero fight shortcut. Proceed past the NPC to unlock that elevator before attempting again.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    nightmre mensis is extremely merciful on the shortcut front, once you get past the front-loaded nonsense brigade

there's even more shortcuts than are actually necessary

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    A lot of this discussion about bosses seems to be excluding the chalice dungeons. The defiled chalice version of the watchdog, the abhorrent beast, and the phtumerian descendant are great fights. And they require just as tight and precise timing as anything in the souls games. However they are optional so not sure if they should count. For my money, Ornstein and Smough is my favorite fight. Not the tightest or the best, but my favorite.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

Wait, what? Mergo has a zero fight shortcut. Proceed past the NPC to unlock that elevator before attempting again.

Oh.

Ohhh.

Ohhhhhhhh.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So has anybody found any echo farming that's better than the Mergo's loft: middle leading up to the boss there? I accidentally found on NG that if I killed the first 3 shadow guys, visceral the pig, then run past the first 2 pigs and past the group of shadow guys, the pigs/shadows will fight each other and you can clean it up after for a ton of free echoes.

It was like 85k on NG while wearing all 3 +echo runes, and it's over 300k per run on NG+. Right now I'm in the process of filling out some levels on NG+ so it's nice to have a solid farming spot such as this, just wondering if anybody had found anything better.

How long does it take to get that many blood echoes?

If I need them, I do the Lecture Hall (1st floor) myself (though I haven't gotten to NG yet). It's just under 15k souls (with no rune buffs) to go in clear the hall in the immediate large auditorium and then returning to the Hunter's Dream. The load times to the Lecture Hall and the Hunter's Dream are both incredibly short as they are small maps. It takes roughly about 3-4 minutes to run in, kill everything, and zone out and back in.

The mobs in there have a decent drop rate of bullets and sedatives.

Cobell on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    the bosses that gave me the most trouble are
    gascoigne, amelia, rom, and logarius. ebietrias is probably gonna be on that list too; it's the last optional boss i have left before finishing.

cleric beast: haven't died to it yet.
    father gascoigne: at least 10+ times
    blood-starved beast: got in one
    witch: died once
    darkbeast paarl: one shot
    amelia: many, many deaths
    shadows: one shot
    logarius: way too many
    rom: at least as many as gascoigne, i would guess
    one reborn: probably about 4?
    amygdala: about three
    celestial emissary: one