Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Huehuehue.

LasVegas tourist boards are advertising on the London Underground, and the advert is literally just "go where your accent is an aphrodisiac".

I mean seriously, we're not lying

People will fuck you here just for the way you talk

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    T-minus 75 minutes

All "GO" so far, though 3rd launch attempts are notoriously and historically unlucky when it comes to holds / delays >_>

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    we have a very large water reservoir that is much larger than it needs to be

it was dammed up before there was any electricity export and import to speak of, save for some very modest stuff with sweden

it's much too large to be filled up by the rainfall it gets, the idea was to have it as an equalizer: pump water back up into it when power was especially cheap, use that for prolonged dried periods to keep electricity from getting too expensive if that happens

but now we have the rest of europe for that use

not that solar power isn't kinda dumb here, we do have an easy fix for one of the biggest issues with solar power: that it only produces during the day

if all your power came from solar power, you would just literally not have any power at night. And storing energy is difficult.

Batteries are terrible. They're expensive and have a very limited life.

Compare it to a coal plant, where the energy storing is just putting the coal in a pile and not burning it right now. Or with petroleum where the energy storing is just not taking it out.

or with hydroelectric where you store energy by just not draining your lakes.

I wonder if it would be at all a workable idea to have a reservoir filled by running hydroelectric plants in reverse during the way, back down during the night. I've never heard of such super fast frequency switching but I wonder if it could work.

This idea is very viable and there are case studies for doing it with windfarms, who peak at the wrong time for daily energy use.

I know both Belgium and the Netherlands have seriously considered it.

How dumb are farmers? I can get all the wind I need just by going outside. Why would anyone buy the wind they grow?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    We just need the Rock to rock bottom all the science nerds that don't do science well enough. Then the rest will be super productive because they will be scared that he will say they eat strudel or that he will ask them what their name is.
    I keep reading "rock bottom" as being some Rock-specific form of power bottoming or something and I'm

fairly confident

that's not what it is.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    lol for real though how stupid is california water is the most plentiful thing on earth just go out there and get some instead of talking about kale salads and hot yoga or w/e it is that californians do

I heard they don't even have shoes in California. They just wear sandals.

lol what

maybe if you had shoes instead of sandals you could get jobs and then just be able to buy water instead of waiting for it to fall out of the sky

They spend all their time outdoors because they need to appease the sky gods in the hopes that they will grant them water. But they also don't believe in gods, so they get no water. Get rekt, hippie atheists!

wahh wahh we dont have any water

lol idiots

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The public is so overwhelmingly anti science and thinks nasa takes up like 20% of the countries budget in polls. Lets convince 1 guy in charge of a grant that something obscure is necessary to save humanity, instead of a bunch of mouth breathers who are going to donate to anti-vaxxer and fountain of youth quacks.

I don't have much more faith in what most nerds would fund, either

a lot of important science is stunningly boring unremarkable stuff that ends up finding out "well that didn't work"

Actually, you just gave me a good idea.

We should totally do a global warming kickstarter.

We should call it the "So We Don't Fucking Die" kickstarter.

It only has one reward level: You Get To Live: Donate at least $5 and if we hit our target goal, you get to live.

The stretch goal will be "Your Kids Get To Live Too."

yeah but life is butts what are the actual rewards? Do I get like, a tshirt?

You get to LIVE, motherfucker.

Though I guess we could just offshore t-shirt production to Malaysia...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    We just need the Rock to rock bottom all the science nerds that don't do science well enough. Then the rest will be super productive because they will be scared that he will say they eat strudel or that he will ask them what their name is.
    I keep reading "rock bottom" as being some Rock-specific form of power bottoming or something and I'm

fairly confident

that's not what it is.
    if you aren't into that you definitely don't want to hear about the people's elbow

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    The public is so overwhelmingly anti science and thinks nasa takes up like 20% of the countries budget in polls. Lets convince 1 guy in charge of a grant that something obscure is necessary to save humanity, instead of a bunch of mouth breathers who are going to donate to anti-vaxxer and fountain of youth quacks.

a lot of important science is stunningly boring unremarkable stuff that ends up finding out "well that didn't work"

It only has one reward level: You Get To Live: Donate at least $5 and if we hit our target goal, you get to live.

I am living now and you don't have any of my money.

Now throw in some kind of video newsletter and a tshirt and we're talking.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    We should make something like a Patreon but for science, where the general public can directly fund research projects as an alternative to the normal grant process.

Guys, this might legitimately be a good idea.
    It exists!
    https://experiment.com/

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    The issue is that the public has tastes and lifestyle expectations and that those are shaped by corporate interests motivated by profit and not sustainability. Obviously you can't just retroactively criminalize these crimes against humanity and pollution profiteering, but maybe - and bear with me - maybe a modest start would be to choose one of those individuals at random every so often and have him dragged out in the street and shot?

This gives the impression that they know what they're doing is wrong, which isn't really always a given. I feel like most of the people in those positions just legitimately believe that's the way the world works. What we need to do is make the world stop working that way.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Narwhal, your avatar makes me sad. in a few weeks someone's going to paint over that mural.
    :(:(:(:(

Awww!

Then I must shed my prior habit of readily changing my av.

This narwhal must go on.

But, you know ... he's got the right spirit, this narwhal, doesn't he?

His time on this Earth may be temporary, but it has indeed "been real."

Lest We Forget, Deebaser. He lived, and he was, no matter what they do to him.

Lest We Forget.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    lol for real though how stupid is california water is the most plentiful thing on earth just go out there and get some instead of talking about kale salads and hot yoga or w/e it is that californians do

I heard they don't even have shoes in California. They just wear sandals.

lol what

maybe if you had shoes instead of sandals you could get jobs and then just be able to buy water instead of waiting for it to fall out of the sky

They spend all their time outdoors because they need to appease the sky gods in the hopes that they will grant them water. But they also don't believe in gods, so they get no water. Get rekt, hippie atheists!

wahh wahh we dont have any water

lol idiots

We should just get a big knife and cut them off from the back of the country and send them out to see. Then they'll have all the water they want!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The issue is that the public has tastes and lifestyle expectations and that those are shaped by corporate interests motivated by profit and not sustainability. Obviously you can't just retroactively criminalize these crimes against humanity and pollution profiteering, but maybe - and bear with me - maybe a modest start would be to choose one of those individuals at random every so often and have him dragged out in the street and shot?

what if we instead of trying to rely on consumers or corporations, just bloody regulate things

tax the bad stuff more and people will buy less of them, no relying on changing whims needed

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I will offer dick pics. You can look at my dick.

You have to supply your own microscope.

• Options
    So far I am enjoying Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas, which may or may not be a controversial opinion?

I am only a few hours into 3, however, and I very likely could have a chip on my shoulder about New Vegas because I've started so many playthroughs that the first 2-4 hours is such a chore now.

• Options

Tim's Modest Proposal

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    @Deebaser registry purchase completed bitches

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

@hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

I know he sent me a picture last night. Uber cute. Much approve

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

my estate will totally sue you when I do die

I'll put that in my will

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    We should make something like a Patreon but for science, where the general public can directly fund research projects as an alternative to the normal grant process.

It exists!

I'm going to fund the fuck out of some projects!

• Options

I will offer dick pics. You can look at my dick.

You have to supply your own microscope.

Well this just seems like a whole lot of sunk cost.

Goodbye, earth.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i made a wrestling joke despite having never watched wrestling, pls shower me with praise

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    i made a wrestling joke despite having never watched wrestling, pls shower me with praise

I lold.

• Options
    So far I am enjoying Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas, which may or may not be a controversial opinion?

I am only a few hours into 3, however, and I very likely could have a chip on my shoulder about New Vegas because I've started so many playthroughs that the first 2-4 hours is such a chore now.

The problem in New Vegas is that you DON'T have a chip on your shoulder (or anywhere else on your person). In fact, that's the MacGuffin that drives most of the plot.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    we have a very large water reservoir that is much larger than it needs to be

it was dammed up before there was any electricity export and import to speak of, save for some very modest stuff with sweden

it's much too large to be filled up by the rainfall it gets, the idea was to have it as an equalizer: pump water back up into it when power was especially cheap, use that for prolonged dried periods to keep electricity from getting too expensive if that happens

but now we have the rest of europe for that use

not that solar power isn't kinda dumb here, we do have an easy fix for one of the biggest issues with solar power: that it only produces during the day

if all your power came from solar power, you would just literally not have any power at night. And storing energy is difficult.

Batteries are terrible. They're expensive and have a very limited life.

Compare it to a coal plant, where the energy storing is just putting the coal in a pile and not burning it right now. Or with petroleum where the energy storing is just not taking it out.

or with hydroelectric where you store energy by just not draining your lakes.

I wonder if it would be at all a workable idea to have a reservoir filled by running hydroelectric plants in reverse during the way, back down during the night. I've never heard of such super fast frequency switching but I wonder if it could work.

This idea is very viable and there are case studies for doing it with windfarms, who peak at the wrong time for daily energy use.

I know both Belgium and the Netherlands have seriously considered it.

There's a few pumped hydro schemes in Scotland. I know Ben Cruachan works this way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruachan_Dam

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    The issue is that the public has tastes and lifestyle expectations and that those are shaped by corporate interests motivated by profit and not sustainability. Obviously you can't just retroactively criminalize these crimes against humanity and pollution profiteering, but maybe - and bear with me - maybe a modest start would be to choose one of those individuals at random every so often and have him dragged out in the street and shot and eaten?/quote]

Tim's Modest Proposal

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    If I became King Economics, Moneyman Supremus, the second thing I'd do after changing my title from Finance Minister to King Economics, Moneyman Supremus, would be to ban the phrase "safety first"

If I became King Economics the first thing I would do is appoint Ronya Viceroy of Responsible Economics.
    The second thing I would do would be to build a yacht made of solid gold.

You may want to swap the order of those things.

No, he needs to appoint Ronya first. If he waits till after the yacht, he'll be on the bottom of the sea before he appoints anyone!
    You could totally make a gold yacht which floated.

Mojo Anglin' for that job in deebs' cabinet

• Options
    edited April 2015
    The issue is that the public has tastes and lifestyle expectations and that those are shaped by corporate interests motivated by profit and not sustainability. Obviously you can't just retroactively criminalize these crimes against humanity and pollution profiteering, but maybe - and bear with me - maybe a modest start would be to choose one of those individuals at random every so often and have him dragged out in the street and shot and eaten?

Tim's Modest Proposal

It wouldn't be very environmentally-conscious of us to just let the body go to waste, would it?

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    like we still pump into it but not at the scale it was originally designed for

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

fairly confident

that's not what it is.
    if you aren't into that you definitely don't want to hear about the people's elbow

And you definitely don't want to smell what the rock is cooking

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

It's not even that. Even someone with an advanced degree in a science field is still going to be hard pressed to differentiate between two similar, but distinct approaches to a given problem outside of their field.

A common misconception. A narrowly tailored constitutional amendment would allow us to retroactively criminalize them. Also, while it was absolutely the right thing to do, we played pretty fast and loose with the law when it came to Nazis anyways, so there is established precedent.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    has anyone ever made a macroscope to make big things look smaller?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    hm i keep being tempted to restart my long war playthrough

i have so much to learn!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    just give all science grant proposals click-baity titles

One weird trick for comparative methylation analysis of DRD2 knock-out mice

Politicians hate this low emissions energy producing desalinization process!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

just move farther away from it.

• Options

To use on your penis? That's uncomfortable bragging.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

It exists!
    FCC here to rain on parades.

There are several crowdfunding kickstarter like enterprises designed to finance science projects.

There are some really bad things about this.

1) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement grossly misunderstands the amount of money required to run a full time research laboratory that can produce publication quality data. I.E. You will see them fund small projects to the tune of 100k or so. This is chump change for a laboratory and would cover one tech's salary and some reagents for a year.

2) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement gives citizens the idea that government funding is not important if it can be supplanted by crowdfunding. Which is an untenable position. The only way science will ever recover is if governments increase investment in science.

3) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement is frequently in love with the "gentleman scientist" trope which really only supports a very specific and very rich type of person to do science.

4) There is one guy named Ethan Perlstein who says he is an indy scientist but really he is just running a standard biotech startup. He is like Silicon Valley for scientists.

• Options
    The issue is that the public has tastes and lifestyle expectations and that those are shaped by corporate interests motivated by profit and not sustainability. Obviously you can't just retroactively criminalize these crimes against humanity and pollution profiteering, but maybe - and bear with me - maybe a modest start would be to choose one of those individuals at random every so often and have him dragged out in the street and shot and eaten?

Tim's Modest Proposal

It wouldn't be very environmentally-conscious of us to just let the body go to waste, would it?

Better to go to waist than waste.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The thing about regulation is that it often has to be long term to be effective

I kind of think that this is one of the reasons that so much ire gets directed at the EU. A lot of EU agreements take longer than a typical administrative term before the effects really start to bite, which causes people to think that this legislation has crept up on them in some way

Having said that, I doubt there would still be North Sea cod without such regulation

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: According to XKCD, I can just buy a lab coat and fleece suckers.

• Options

It's not even that. Even someone with an advanced degree in a science field is still going to be hard pressed to differentiate between two similar, but distinct approaches to a given problem outside of their field.

What if the system were set up such that other notable, respected individuals in the field could comment on which projects would be the most funding-worthy?

Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of pledges for your obscure physics project that most PhDs can't understand on your own, but if Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson each gave it 5-stars you suddenly have a lot of nerds throwing money at it.

This discussion has been closed.