As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prime 2015 Registration Beckons

• Options
    teebone8291teebone8291 Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Quid wrote: »
    BARFn wrote: »
    Why decide to piss off a portion of your fan base, when there is no need to--genius.

Every possible method will piss off a portion of their fan base. There is literally no way to make everyone happy when the situation is that there are more people than space.

true that. and to tell you the truth this year is much easier to get the ticket then last (last year sold out in 3 min due to WoW.... or was it 10 min correct me if im not correct on that part) this year 1 hr.

teebone8291 on
  • Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Then again, their real failure here is the fact that they have a show that more people want to go to that they don't have room for. It's too bad Seattle can't accommodate a venue that could hold twice as many people.

This is absolutely the biggest issue, and is a big part of why they've expanded PAX to other locations (East, Aus, South). I can't argue that the experience at South will be the same as it is at Prime, but it is a way to allow people who can't get tickets or afford the travel expenses to experience a part of what PAX is.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    PhoBaoBoaPhoBaoBoa Squishy NYCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

I guess all those other companies that give advance notice and where you hope you get in queue early enough to get your tickets/product must be doing it wrong (e.g., concerts, sports, apple iphone releases).

They're doing it differently, not wrong. Your best bet, as is mentioned in various threads, is to follow PAX on twitter and sign up for mobile alerts. When I got the text yesterday I was on the opposite side of my office building and sprinted to my desk. It will never be a perfect system, there is no perfect system. The best you can do is avail yourself of all the advice in the forum and hope for better luck with the next one!

PhoBaoBoa on
    pPEuM8J.png
  • Options
    BARFnBARFn Registered User new member
    Yeah, I think the reason for my outrage is that I didn't understand that there wouldn't be any advance notice whatsoever. Had I known that, I might not agree with their approach, but I wouldn't have been blindsided by it.

Funny how they have a FAQ with 50 questions in it and that fact isn't prominently displayed (at least that I recall). Hopefully this thread will put some people on notice as well.

• Options
    JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    JasonGreve wrote: »
    Post PAX-F5 depression is real.

I've got my tickets and now it's just... waiting.

Let's play a game! (or something)

Do you want to build a snowman?

I live in Montreal. The weather FINALLY started getting nice (in a hurry) only a couple of weeks ago. Do not mention snow to me or there will be....consequences. Yes, consequences most dire.

I live in Alberta, it was 20C yesterday and I BBQ steaks on my deck in shorts and a tshirt. There is snow on the ground this morning. I'm out Canadianing you here.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also for what it's worth, Seattle is a great place with awesome people to meet, cool things to see, and plenty of stuff to do. Even if you can't go to the con proper there are going to be thousands of PA fans out in town doing things.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

I live in Alberta, it was 20C yesterday and I BBQ steaks on my deck in shorts and a tshirt. There is snow on the ground this morning. I'm out Canadianing you here.

I live in Quebec, dude. Out-Canadianing me isn't hard.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Then again, their real failure here is the fact that they have a show that more people want to go to that they don't have room for. It's too bad Seattle can't accommodate a venue that could hold twice as many people.
    I would wager that a venue twice the capacity would not cover the demand.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I would wager that a venue twice the capacity would not cover the demand.

The demand is probably high enough that if everyone could go, there would be difficulty serving all of them. As in nobody would ever get to see a AAA game. The merch boothes would be impenetrable. Restaurants would be even more crushed.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Quid wrote: »
    Why decide to piss off a portion of your fan base, when there is no need to--genius.

Every possible method will piss off a portion of their fan base. There is literally no way to make everyone happy when the situation is that there are more people than space.

true that. and to tell you the truth this year is much easier to get the ticket then last (last year sold out in 3 min due to WoW.... or was it 10 min correct me if im not correct on that part) this year 1 hr.

Actually I think you are thinking of LOL and no that wasn't part of it. Tickets sales went smoother this year but they sold out 20 minutes faster than last year. All ticket sales were done at 1.25 hr last year while this year it was 54 minutes.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I think the reason for my outrage is that I didn't understand that there wouldn't be any advance notice whatsoever. Had I known that, I might not agree with their approach, but I wouldn't have been blindsided by it.

Funny how they have a FAQ with 50 questions in it and that fact isn't prominently displayed (at least that I recall). Hopefully this thread will put some people on notice as well.
    Well, there was a thread specifically about purchasing tickets at the very top of the forum in the weeks leading up to the sale called "Tickets for Dummies". Anyone who was here to see the FAQ would have seen that too.

forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196005/tickets-for-dummies/p1

The very first question asked in that thread:
    1. When do they announce tickets go on sale. I've heard that the just announce on twitter when they ARE on sale and you don't have any warning?

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Yeah I think that venue capacity is only one piece of the puzzle as well, youngfrey. Lines can get so long in the expo hall and at other areas of the can with the current setup. Throughput is such an important metric, and just increasing the size of the con would make it more critical.

Hence, again, why there are 4 paxen now :)

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular

Its unfortunate but look at how fast the badges sold out if they gave advanced notice at all the site would crash for some and badges sell out even quicker. The main issue as others have pointed out is Prime is so large and the venue holds a relatively small amount of people compared to the demand.

The nice thing about missing out on badges to prime is now I am more motivated to try out a different Pax (may try for South) or a totally different vacation altogether to mix it up

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    Yeah I think that venue capacity is only one piece of the puzzle as well, youngfrey. Lines can get so long in the expo hall and at other areas of the can with the current setup. Throughput is such an important metric, and just increasing the size of the con would make it more critical.

PAX Prime and 3 bitch paxes. :)

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Man don't do that. I've been to the three in the US and they all had things about them that were unique and great.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Yeeeah, no. I haven't been to Aus or South, but East is dope, and I'm sure the other two are as well.

Hell, isn't the venue at East the biggest of the 3 by a large margin?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    VeeSeeVeeSee Pirate Ninja Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Question for those who ordered in the first 10 minutes and wanted to get 4x4 passes, but ended up with 2x4 due to the ordering bug....

Were you able to get a response from the PAX people about tacking on another two sets without penalty? On Twitter they said to contact them via email, but I haven't received a response.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

Man don't do that. I've been to the three in the US and they all had things about them that were unique and great.
    I think the joke Jerry made, was the best PAX is the current one, and all the others are lesser. That sometimes gets lost in the retelling.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »

I think the joke Jerry made, was the best PAX is the current one, and all the others are lesser. That sometimes gets lost in the retelling.

It was at the Q&A at Prime, and I believe the context was him calling East "bitch PAX" at that time. That being said he may very well use that joke at every PAX for all I know I only attend Prime :surprised:

I meant no harm by the comment, sorry if it was construed as such <3<3<3

• Options
    VeeSee wrote: »
    Question for those who ordered in the first 10 minutes and wanted to get 4x4 passes, but ended up with 2x4 due to the ordering bug....

Were you able to get a response from the PAX people about tacking on another two sets without penalty? On Twitter they said to contact them via email, but I haven't received a response.
    I would be willing to bet that the queue for these emails is monstrous right now. If you don't get a response by, like, tuesday, email again. I say tuesday because I don't know if they are chugging through the emails over the weekend or not.

• Options
    Badash112Badash112 Registered User regular

I would be willing to bet that the queue for these emails is monstrous right now. If you don't get a response by, like, tuesday, email again. I say tuesday because I don't know if they are chugging through the emails over the weekend or not.

They seem to be getting through them fairly quickly. Not reading and giving everyone the same canned response allows you to blow through email fairly quickly. Me and a friend both had problems. Him trying to purchase 4 sets, me purchasing any. We both got the same response.

Hi,

We are sorry that you were not able to purchase your tickets. The show is extremely popular and the tickets tens to sell out very quickly. You can follow us on Twitter to receive updates in regards to future shows.

Thanks,

What is entertaining is both emails to different people were the same word for word with the same spelling error "tens"

• Options
    That's unfortunate. I would say to try again for now.

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular

This is absolutely the biggest issue, and is a big part of why they've expanded PAX to other locations (East, Aus, South). I can't argue that the experience at South will be the same as it is at Prime, but it is a way to allow people who can't get tickets or afford the travel expenses to experience a part of what PAX is.

I agree. South was my first PAX since it was way easier to get tickets and more affordable to travel to since I live in the southwest. East is way too expensive for me. It was definitely smaller scale in comparison to Prime I imagine, with LOTS of indie games on display, practically no AAA ones, but I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Great start to the newer show in my opinion and only has room to improve.

• Options
    krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    Badash112 wrote: »

They seem to be getting through them fairly quickly. Not reading and giving everyone the same canned response allows you to blow through email fairly quickly. Me and a friend both had problems. Him trying to purchase 4 sets, me purchasing any. We both got the same response.

Hi,

We are sorry that you were not able to purchase your tickets. The show is extremely popular and the tickets tens to sell out very quickly. You can follow us on Twitter to receive updates in regards to future shows.

Thanks,

What is entertaining is both emails to different people were the same word for word with the same spelling error "tens"

That's really unfortunately. I was in the same boat got in the queue seconds after the tweet and was told "4 of each is too many" and was forced to buy two sets. I saw the tweets and fired off an email hoping for the best. No response yet though

By the sounds of those tweets I thought that

A)They quickly noticed and held back some inventory
    B) They would confirm purchase times and would allow people who bought quick enough to buy up to two extra sets if they want until the inventory they held back is gone.

I hope that's the case and you guys didn't actually buy fast enough to legitimately get 4 sets.

If they are telling everyone regardless of purchase time "We goofed, show's already sold out so we have no way to fix it. If you got screwed over because of our mistake sorry", those tweets are completely inexcusable. They give pointless false hope and they should have just said "We goofed, too late to fix, sorry" in the first place.

I'm not overly worried since I got mine. Would be nice to get two extras for friends who missed the boat but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.

• Options
    Taken from reddit an hour ago in regards to badge limit bug:

79i3xagruy8j.jpg

• Options
    Taken from reddit an hour ago in regards to badge limit bug:

79i3xagruy8j.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Link to the reddit thread for those interested.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The fucked up part is I don't even know if I'll qualify. I read about the limit here and didn't even TRY to buy four, because I didn't want to get stuck in a death spiral like last year (try to buy a sold out day, get kicked back, try to buy the other days, but now ANOTHER has sold out).

I wanted my transaction to go through, so I ordered two of each. By the time that was done, getting two more was a lost cause.

In going to try to get another. I'd hope this explanation might be sufficient. Clearly I went through the queue to get the ones I got, and got through while Saturday was still available. They should be willing to make it right.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    The fucked up part is I don't even know if I'll qualify. I read about the limit here and didn't even TRY to buy four, because I didn't want to get stuck in a death spiral like last year (try to buy a sold out day, get kicked back, try to buy the other days, but now ANOTHER has sold out).

I wanted my transaction to go through, so I ordered two of each. By the time that was done, getting two more was a lost cause.

In going to try to get another. I'd hope this explanation might be sufficient. Clearly I went through the queue to get the ones I got, and got through while Saturday was still available. They should be willing to make it right.

It never hurts to ask; words to live by.

• Options
    I got an email with a person to call and a deadline to call by to get my extra tickets!

I feel sorry for said person. Be nice to them when you call. NICE I SAY!

• Options
    edited May 2015

I have just received an email from pax_questions@paxsite.com. Basically it states if I want to order the additional passes I would need to contact their customer service phone line before May 15. After May 15 they won't be able to honor any orders.

VeeSee on
  • Options
    GreatfritoGreatfrito Registered User regular
    I'm really, REALLY glad they're addressing that. I know I would have been MORE than frustrated if I wasn't able to get into the queue a second time for the other two sets of badges that I needed.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular

Yes.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options

I have just received an email from pax_questions@paxsite.com. Basically it states if I want to order the additional passes I would need to contact their customer service phone line before May 15. After May 15 they won't be able to honor any orders.

I hope they will let me take advantage of that offer. All I got was a "screw off" form mail. I'm already written back regarding that offer.

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Just to clarify:
    - the offer will be extended to those that contact pax_questions@paxsite.com AND
    - you ordered before the fix went into place AND
    - you did not go through and order another set (which is totally legit, in our opinion)

Sorry for the confusion.

Some guy.
  • Options
    @Badash112 I'm going to bet that they looked at purchase times of everyone and only extended this offer to people who genuinely bought while the bug was still in effect and should have been able to buy 4 sets. They will not help anyone who just missed out because they were late getting in the queue.

If you got a different email then others, I bet it's because you didn't make the cut. Did you include your confirmation number in your email?

• Options
    krae_man wrote: »
    @Badash112 I'm going to bet that they looked at purchase times of everyone and only extended this offer to people who genuinely bought while the bug was still in effect and should have been able to buy 4 sets. They will not help anyone who just missed out because they were late getting in the queue.

If you got a different email then others, I bet it's because you didn't make the cut. Did you include your confirmation number in your email?

I wasn't late. I had an apparently unique problem.

I went into queue to purchase 2 sets. One for myself and one for my wife. I was in early enough that there were only 2 available per day. Attempted to use my debit card, got "Processing error, invalid ____." It was blank what it was claiming was invalid. So I retyped everything very slowly while watching the timer tick down. "Processing error, invalid ____."

Started to get scared so I tried another valid card. "Processing error, invalid ____."

Tried my corporate card in case it didn't' like my address. "Processing error, invalid ____."

Tried a 4th card in my wife's name "Processing error, invalid ____."

Then the timer ran out, I was kicked out and only Monday was left. Went in and used the first card. Accepted right away.

Through some refreshing I picked up 2 Friday and Monday, but I was still in right away and a different error prevented me from purchasing, I was in quite early if I was there before you could buy 4 of each. I have included my confirmation in subsequent emails.

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Will My GF and I be able to do BYOC even though we didnt get Sat passes? :(
    Will we be able to ONLY go to BYOC on Sat,
    or will we not have access to our computers on Sat,
    or can we not BYOC at all?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Just to clarify:
    - the offer will be extended to those that contact pax_questions@paxsite.com AND
    - you did not go through and order another set (which is totally legit, in our opinion)

Sorry for the confusion.

Whoo Thanks.

Managed to leave a message before persons inbox got full. I hope you send them a nice gift basket for putting up with us:p

krae_man on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    Will My GF and I be able to do BYOC even though we didnt get Sat passes? :(
    Will we be able to ONLY go to BYOC on Sat,
    or will we not have access to our computers on Sat,
    or can we not BYOC at all?

1. Yes, you can do BYOC for Fri, Sun, Mon, assuming you secure a BYOC badge.
    2. No, if you do not have a general admission badge for that day, unfortunately you'd need to pack your stuff up on Friday night and bring it back on Sunday morning.

Some guy.
  • Options
    slash5150slash5150 Registered User new member
    Just to clarify:

Sorry for the confusion.

If we did go through and order a second set of 2, is there a way for shipping to be altered so its just one set together?

This discussion has been closed.