Options

[STEAM] More like the Punic Wars than you might think.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    There are tons of lists, can't even keep track of what I'm on anymore.

Keeping lists is too much work. I just randomly hit people who I often chat with in the chats and people who have wronged me in the past.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Advice needed!

My berfday's coming up and I'm trying to choose between Invisible Inc and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

I really liked The New Order and I really really really really love XCOM.

Both look pretty nifty. I need halp.

You already have your answer, grasshopper. Look within.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    You'll get more mileage out of Invisible, Inc. It's designed to be played multiple times (agents to unlock, multiple difficulties, procedurally-generated levels) while Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a fun A to B rollercoaster that you'll probably only play once (no branching like you saw in The New Order and you won't care about the characters anywhere near as much. Also, it's not treading new ground. They don't lean into the supernatural as much as the the trailer implies or as hard as The New Order leaned into the super-science angle.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT.

Games Workshop's Dark Future being adapted for PC

Dark Future was GW's near-future, cyberpunk road warrior universe (and tabletop game), originally from 1988. It was also absolutely goddamn amazing; the game was really, really good, but the fiction and lore was, for me, probably the best thing they ever did, above even Warhammer fantasy or 40K. It was pretty much my introduction to cyberpunk, and honestly still remains my main point of reference. Man, that whole fiction. So great. NoGo, the PeeZees (policed zones), the Sanctioned Ops taking on the outlaws on the roads, even Oliver North as President of the United States.

It makes sense that this seems to be riding the coattails of Mad Max: Fury Road a little bit. Dark Future always owed a lot to Mad Max, as does anything with a road warrior motif, but it was anything but a direct rip.

This trailer looks like they're sticking with what is now a retro-futuristic style, which is absolutely perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5DegPZwCY

STOKED! Time to re-read the Dark Future novels again. <3

EDIT:

PixieSquee.png

(Cheers, Pixie! <3 )

I picture how this went down at GW when this game was first developed:
    Bob is reading the news on his table
    Bill is painting his 5' tall titan.

Bob:Huh, they're remaking Mad Max....Fury Road....looks pretty good.
    Bill: Really, that's nice, its a good series.
    Bob: Yeah, lots of good tech behind it, good director, I think its the original. Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron. Even the original Toecutter.
    Bill: Damn fine casting.
    Bob:Damn fine casting.
    Bill:Probably going to be a merch and trans media frenzy, games, comic, toys.
    Bob: Yep, heard there's an mmo coming out too. Hope it does better than NCSoft's.
    Bill: Yeah, that was a neat game for a while (focuses on the cockpit with a smaller brush). Fiction was decent enough on that.
    Bob: True, I'm sure we could do better.
    Bill: Well, we did.
    Bob:What?
    Bill: Yeah, that was before your time, the company had all these books and games and media for a similar setting set in the Continental US. Sort of the Games Workshop attempt to cash in.
    Bob: So you're saying we already have an IP setting in our books, with fiction and artwork that could be tapped for a game, to match the setting and fever of what will probably be the greatest movie of the decade?
    Bill:Yeah........*processes the thought*......Light the beacon.

This was an excellent post but needed far more references to cocaine and embezzlement to truly be a believable account of GW management

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    You'll get more mileage out of Invisible, Inc. It's designed to be played multiple times (agents to unlock, multiple difficulties, procedurally-generated levels) while Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a fun A to B rollercoaster that you'll probably only play once (no branching like you saw in The New Order and you won't care about the characters anywhere near as much. Also, it's not treading new ground. They don't lean into the supernatural as much as the the trailer implies or as hard as The New Order leaned into the super-science angle.

Hmm. Yes, that's good to know.

I think I get a discount due to owning Mark of the Ninja too, so I'll probably end up going that way.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dark Future sounds like BattleTanx

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Wow.

I was just watching a Witcher 3 stream, and like, holy crap does that game look amazing.

I noticed that. I thought Witcher 2 looked wonderful, but 3 somehow looks even better.
    I dunno. I was gifted a humble game a couple days ago and it was a direct link-to-Steam-account, whereas another one I was gifted was a key.

So I'm not sure it's 100% Steam keys.

If that was Total War that I'd sent you, it was from before they switched to keys only.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

Hmm. Yes, that's good to know.

I think I get a discount due to owning Mark of the Ninja too, so I'll probably end up going that way.

@Ceno - If you get Invisible Inc via Humble store, you also get a DRM-Free copy and you get a 20% discount if you own Mark of the Ninja through the Humble Store (possibly you got it in a bundle at some point). You just have to select voucher at checkout.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Wow.

I was just watching a Witcher 3 stream, and like, holy crap does that game look amazing.

I noticed that. I thought Witcher 2 looked wonderful, but 3 somehow looks even better.
    I dunno. I was gifted a humble game a couple days ago and it was a direct link-to-Steam-account, whereas another one I was gifted was a key.

If that was Total War that I'd sent you, it was from before they switched to keys only.

Somehow? Witcher 2 was released 4 years ago this week. I'd have been pretty upset if Witcher 3 didn't look better.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    You'd think I would learn. Thanks @EvmaAlsar!

pzk2ehk74as1.png

Ceno on
  • Options
    @viking ...

3xwqg3meit2m.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Wow.

Somehow? Witcher 2 was released 4 years ago this week. I'd have been pretty upset if Witcher 3 didn't look better.

Oh I totally agree, it should look beter, but it still blows my mind that it does.

To be totally fair? I'm now about 2 full console cycles behind on games. The last new system I had as a PS2. :razz:

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    @CorriganX is using bribery to cheer me up.... I think it worked =)

thanks for BEEP and Temper Tantrum!

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    just FYI don't use the term "key" around @Antoshka in any capacity. Car keys, USB boot keys, encryption keys, what have you. He will totes gift bomb you for simply saying key. Choose your words with peril.

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    Just wanted to post a thank you to @Dirtyboy. He sensed my urges towards vehicular homicide (we must have played Saints Row together at some point) and graced me with a copy of Carmageddon Reincarnation that also came with the first three games.

We should also be thankful my backlog effectively is massless or we would probably be swallowed by a singularity at this point.

Thanks again!

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    @Shade

Last Door is a brilliant Lovecrafty/King in Yellowy point and then clickmans.

Play it immediately.

Because I demand it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Wow.

Oh I totally agree, it should look beter, but it still blows my mind that it does.

To be totally fair? I'm now about 2 full console cycles behind on games. The last new system I had as a PS2. :razz:

Oh, I wasn't talking graphically. I mean, yes, the graphics look quite fine, indeed, but I just meant that it looked amazingly fun and deep. Like, the voice acting in the quest I was watching, the lore behind the characters, all of it, was really engrossing.

I really need to play the first two.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Been away for a few days, got a lot of catching up to do, but first I gotta thank @BigDes because I had an unread message from him when I logged in today with a key for Broken Sword 5! Big thanks from a big PnC fan, Broken Sword will always be a classic and I've heard good things about this new one. <3

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Wow.

Also, let's be honest; Witcher 2 still blows most games out of the water visually.

Wow.

Oh, I wasn't talking graphically. I mean, yes, the graphics look quite fine, indeed, but I just meant that it looked amazingly fun and deep. Like, the voice acting in the quest I was watching, the lore behind the characters, all of it, was really engrossing.

I need to properly play the first two. Never got too far in either, because of various distractions.

But 3 is, wow. Seriously wow.

Jazz on
  • Options
    @akajaybay clearly felt bad about my horrible, firey, smouldering, slightly-too-late-on-the-transporter death in the Steam Battle. I console myself in knowing that in the milliseconds prior, my preparations had managed to save the lives of a couple of crewmates of the Kiss Her Plenty.

f7hyuowgr99u.jpg

Cheers, fella! <3

• Options
    ujn7058gvrdo.jpg

The ghost of @Iolo seems to have taken umbrage with his captain drinking away her misery in her cabin post-Steam-Battle.

And oh god this game features a ghost companion, doesn't it? Please tell me I'm not going to be haunted forever by Iolo (and/or any other crew I got killed)? :lol:

Thanks much! This almost made it a full 24 hours on my wishlist, with most of those hours not even released yet. :lol: If this game improves on/learns from the first two, it should be pretty fantastic!

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Wow.

Geralt's always been a bit stiff, but overall the story in both of the first two is interesting to me thus far. Also, they look and feel (to me) much like I'd picture a third person successor to Baldur's Gate-type isometric RPGs, insomuch as skill trees, interesting abilities (things that don't just pertain to active or passive combat abilities), and chapter driven areas.

If you start the first game, and find it not to your liking (some folks here have expressed that sentiment) I have uploaded my final save which gets some nice good to jumpstart 2 with. Otherwise, yeah, even the first one has some fairly good story, though it feels more interesting in the side missions more than the main ones.

• Options
    Also, earlier today @Jazz thrust a mystery key upon me! And now that I'm home I can activate it and see that it's Dustforce. Woo! Thank you! I've heard good stuff I think, and since I wield a mean broom I should be pretty ace at this.

Right?

<.<

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I am finding Witcher 3 super absorbing. The controls are a little squiffy and stuff. I loved the hell out of DA:Inquisition too, and it had some fun open maps to explore around and poke for secrets etc, and lots of stuff to keep you busy. Witcher 3 is so far anyway, doing a shockingly good job of making the most mundane of side plot (mechanically) missions very engaging. Also I was a sucker for stuff like the most recent Sherlock Holmes title, or bits of Murdered Soul Suspect, and Witcher 3 is doing that type of thing so well at the same time. Investigating an area, figuring out what's going on, keeping you right there with it, and doing it elegantly.

Also shout out for Last Door up above. Play it Shade, it's cool.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Wow.

Geralt's always been a bit stiff, but overall the story in both of the first two is interesting to me thus far. Also, they look and feel (to me) much like I'd picture a third person successor to Baldur's Gate-type isometric RPGs, insomuch as skill trees, interesting abilities (things that don't just pertain to active or passive combat abilities), and chapter driven areas.

If you start the first game, and find it not to your liking (some folks here have expressed that sentiment) I have uploaded my final save which gets some nice good to jumpstart 2 with. Otherwise, yeah, even the first one has some fairly good story, though it feels more interesting in the side missions more than the main ones.

Spending some actual time with W3 has made me realise how much I like Geralt. Initially he seems like so many other gruff male leads, and I think a lot of people just write him off as that. But when you start to see under that exterior and realise he's kind of a scientist in a world that has no place for such a thing, a bit of a detective in a world that doesn't value such a thing (or at least doesn't think it does), and he actually genuinely gives a damn, even as much of the world he's trying to help out is openly racist towards his kind. He's a wonderful character, excellently written. EDIT: at least in 3.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Also, earlier today @Jazz thrust a mystery key upon me! And now that I'm home I can activate it and see that it's Dustforce. Woo! Thank you! I've heard good stuff I think, and since I wield a mean broom I should be pretty ace at this.

Right?

<.<

I saw your post earlier, enquiring about it, before your cunning edit as you remembered where you were posting. So, y'know. :wink:

• Options
    The Witcher games could top my "favorite games ever" list if Geralt wasn't the most boring protagonist ever to play. If they made the exact same game but let me make my own character instead? I'd probably never need to play anything else.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I am finding Witcher 3 super absorbing. The controls are a little squiffy and stuff. I loved the hell out of DA:Inquisition too, and it had some fun open maps to explore around and poke for secrets etc, and lots of stuff to keep you busy. Witcher 3 is so far anyway, doing a shockingly good job of making the most mundane of side plot (mechanically) missions very engaging. Also I was a sucker for stuff like the most recent Sherlock Holmes title, or bits of Murdered Soul Suspect, and Witcher 3 is doing that type of thing so well at the same time. Investigating an area, figuring out what's going on, keeping you right there with it, and doing it elegantly.

It does that so well with big stuff and little stuff.

Prologue spoilers:
    In the opening area of White Orchard, for example, everything from the griffin to the arsonist and even the frying pan.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Wow.

I spend way too much time just enjoying the scenery.
    ?.png

• Options
    I thought Geralt was a bit too stiff in W2. But he's had some really great dry humor in this so far.
    Some of it even just well done animation work. Pulling a face when some chump and his two friends tell him they'll take him out no problem because it's 3 to 1.
    Jokey line spoiler for post audience.
    I chose to bow. And after the Emperor comments, "I thought you bowed for no man." Geralt's response, "I didn't want to disappoint the steward....we're friends."
    Had great delivery.

• Options

Right?

<.<

I saw your post earlier, enquiring about it, before your cunning edit as you remembered where you were posting. So, y'know. :wink:

3 minutes! Less than 3 minutes, probably! That's all it was posted for!

Monsters everywhere, always.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Screw you, Geth. Go agree with someone else. You're on my shit list.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Prologue spoilers:
    In the opening area of White Orchard, for example, everything from the griffin to the arsonist and even the frying pan.

Some more prologue completion spoilers.
    Even mixing the stories of an area together. The Noonwraith's murder at the hands of the crappy lord. Who turned crappy after the death of his son.
    Then the hunter in the griffon story reveals he'd been lovers with the lord's son, banished after being caught in the act. The lord's son then killed himself and the lord turned to drinking.

• Options

Prologue spoilers:

Some more prologue completion spoilers.
    Even mixing the stories of an area together. The Noonwraith's murder at the hands of the crappy lord. Who turned crappy after the death of his son.
    Then the hunter in the griffon story reveals he'd been lovers with the lord's son, banished after being caught in the act. The lord's son then killed himself and the lord turned to drinking.

That game is so good.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I think my one problem with the first Witcher is it was still in that era where faces made no emotive looks, which was fine for everyone else, but not for Geralt as voiced.

However, the ability to see his slight smiles and whatnot in 2 when he says something that clearly amused him is a great pleasure. Beyond that, I like playing the game as Geralt. Make no mistake, I also love RPGs with characters I make all my own, but I also really enjoy when a game forces me to be a character in their story. So that even when I'm trying to be friendly, Geralt is off-handedly insulting. Like, that's his baseline.

In fact, he sort of reminds me of a noir detective; always making enemies, not liked very much, and mainly just trying to get the job done and get paid, but something pulls him into a bigger plot he might not get out of. That plus all the "dames". It's fantasy noir in a dark fantasy world, and I like it.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Geralt is fantasy Mal Reynolds, in many ways.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think my one problem with the first Witcher is it was still in that era where faces made no emotive looks, which was fine for everyone else, but not for Geralt as voiced.

However, the ability to see his slight smiles and whatnot in 2 when he says something that clearly amused him is a great pleasure. Beyond that, I like playing the game as Geralt. Make no mistake, I also love RPGs with characters I make all my own, but I also really enjoy when a game forces me to be a character in their story. So that even when I'm trying to be friendly, Geralt is off-handedly insulting. Like, that's his baseline.

In fact, he sort of reminds me of a noir detective; always making enemies, not liked very much, and mainly just trying to get the job done and get paid, but something pulls him into a bigger plot he might not get out of. That plus all the "dames". It's fantasy noir in a dark fantasy world, and I like it.

Yo the facial expressions are even better in Wild Hunt, and not just for Geralt. It's fantastic watching how characters emote in that game, just brings the dialogue scenes to the next level.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    The Steam Battle is almost over but @akajaybay is still gift immune. He is abusing this.
    7zZ6wEA.png
    Thanks akajaybay, I've been eyeing this one for a while.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
This discussion has been closed.