Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would just like to say, that while I love companion cube, companion sphere can go choke on a dick. I couldn't fucking wait to euthanize companion sphere.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heh, I knew Yahtzee would love the game.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Companion sphere had NO attention span.

I put it down, and it was like 'Oh, a dog with a puffy tail!' and would start rolling off somewhere. Dick.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MrDeadMan wrote: »
    I would just like to say, that while I love companion cube, companion sphere can go choke on a dick. I couldn't fucking wait to euthanize companion sphere.

It didn't even have the reassuring hearts the that cube had on each side. Total failure imo.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    well.... what side of the sphere would you put the heart on?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The curvy one

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »

The curvy one

Yeah, the one side that everyone likes!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If companion sphere had the hearts I'd have liked it more than than cube. Cube sucked for deflecting energy balls, sphere worked great and i could roll it.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Companion sphere had NO attention span.

I put it down, and it was like 'Oh, a dog with a puffy tail!' and would start rolling off somewhere. Dick.

No kidding. The companion sphere can go die in a fire.

oh wait..

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    do any of the achievements bother you guys, where as long as you play the game normally, you would get them anyways? like the fratracide achivement for the cube. Im not sure if you can continue without killing it, but it seems like a waste of an achievement to have one for killing it when you have to to continue. Same thing in Ep 2 where when you complete a section you get an achievement.... I understand beating the game, just one for completing a section or doing something thats scripted is a bit much

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Heh, I knew Yahtzee would love the game.

Indeed. And he pledged to fork himself if he ever said any other game was that good.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    do any of the achievements bother you guys, where as long as you play the game normally, you would get them anyways? like the fratracide achivement for the cube. Im not sure if you can continue without killing it, but it seems like a waste of an achievement to have one for killing it when you have to to continue. Same thing in Ep 2 where when you complete a section you get an achievement.... I understand beating the game, just one for completing a section or doing something thats scripted is a bit much
    I really don't care much about the achievements. It's cool to see the thing pop up I guess. I also spent like an hour trying to get around that part without going through it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Meh, I like those. There should be more than a single "You win!" Bit. Plus, it is a thing that you triumphed over, no? Even if it was in the course of the normal game.

But I mean, I liked for instance "Completed Act 1,2,etc." of Gears. It tells people how far you managed to make it, instead of a binary "done/not done".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Meh, I like those. There should be more than a single "You win!" Bit. Plus, it is a thing that you triumphed over, no? Even if it was in the course of the normal game.

But I mean, I liked for instance "Completed Act 1,2,etc." of Gears. It tells people how far you managed to make it, instead of a binary "done/not done".

Yeah, plenty of games have achievements for getting to a certain point within the game. I actually LIKED the fact that, instead of the boring "beat such and such a level" achievements, Portal tied them to specific actions that made it a little bit more fun.

Edit: Plus, the Fratricide achievement will forever serve as a mark of shame for all of us who sacrificed our best friend, the helpless Companion Cube, solely out of our own self interest. We can never undo what we hath wrought.

Evander on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Speaking of fluid thingys, has Valve talked about utiltizing the PhysX chip in any of their games?
    Edge: You’ve more or less already placed your cards on the table about this, but what do you make of discrete physics cards, like Ageia’s PhysX?

GN: I think that’s a horrible idea. At the same time that the distinction between the GPU and CPU is going away the PPU guys want to come in and define a new set of abstractions, where we have memory and data that’s really far away from the CPU and CPU... How do I tell when something breaks, or gets pushed by a monster? All these decisions I have on my CPU have to sit around until they are resolved on the PPU and GPU, and you end up with a physics decelerator. This is the reason you want a homogenous architecture.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7422&Itemid=61

as i understand it, Source's physics are Havoc-based, and Ageia's PhysX is a competitor (so as far as i'm aware, although i'm readily wrong on this one, you can't use Havoc on a PhysX card)

PhysX also runs like utter CRAP on my computer, every time I've installed it. This is in comparison to all the Steam games, which can at least manage 20-30 FPS.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    I kinda took "ice" in that context to be internet security. But who know. I don't knows why you need a biological supercomputer to defrost shit.

Does anyone have copies of those slides?

Yeah, you do. On your computer.

Eh.
    frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Yeah, plenty of games have achievements for getting to a certain point within the game. I actually LIKED the fact that, instead of the boring "beat such and such a level" achievements, Portal tied them to specific actions that made it a little bit more fun.

Edit: Plus, the Fratricide achievement will forever serve as a mark of shame for all of us who sacrificed our best friend, the helpless Companion Cube, solely out of our own self interest. We can never undo what we hath wrought.

In Portal they also made it more interesting. I know they can keep the details secret until completed but the vague language made each one seem like something completely different than what it turned out to be. Party-goer description was great...out of context it was confusing and made no damn sense.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    I kinda took "ice" in that context to be internet security. But who know. I don't knows why you need a biological supercomputer to defrost shit.

Eh.
    frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png

If it were in the context of internet security it'd probably be in all caps (ICE) since it's an acronym (Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zetx wrote: »

Eh.
    frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png

If it were in the context of internet security it'd probably be in all caps (ICE) since it's an acronym (Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics)

I think it's a cake pun.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Eh.
    frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png

I think it's a cake pun.

Perhaps, but they still would have to be competing about something related to government contracts and the contracting thereof.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Eh.
    frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png

I think it's a cake pun.

Perhaps, but they still would have to be competing about something related to government contracts and the contracting thereof.

Seems to me it's a fairly clear hint that
    there will be a copy of GLaDOS running on the Borealis. You know. To keep the ship's Fuel System from getting Iced.

Houn on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Um. Don't you have to de-ice fuel systems? Like, planes and such? Smelly blue cleaning solutions?

I thought that was the whole joke. "Make something that cleans ice off jet parts."

"Okay, we've got that, plus it's an OS and it's sentient."

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Um. Don't you have to de-ice fuel systems? Like, planes and such? Smelly blue cleaning solutions?

I thought that was the whole joke. "Make something that cleans ice off jet parts."

Seriously. I thought this would be the logical conclusion after seeing
    AN ICE SHIP IN AN ICEBERG IN THE ICE ZONES IN THE NORTH POLE in episode 2

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love their proposed funding. 9 $tejas General Bradley no less, no more.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

That makes a lot of sense, and is actually quite hilarious.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I love this game. Just beat it for my third time.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What does glados say in spanish at the beginning?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Question about Advanced Map 17.
    How did everyone solve the puzzle with the companion sphere (OF HATE!) where you needed to hold two switches down that would open two doors to allow an energy ball to pass through and raise the third platform for the room. I sat the sphere on one switch and used a camera that I "liberated" from the wall to jump onto the 2nd switch.
    Is there another way of doing this?

EDIT:
    Found a walkthrough online that showed another way.
    http://www.portalwalkthroughs.com/walkthrough/tag/17+advanced/
    He uses multiple cameras and stacks them bypassing the platforms entirely.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's thinking with Freeman.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used the sphere to get on the first button, then picked it up before it rolled away (while still on the button). As the orb came in, I jumped off and slammed the sphere onto the other button (just standing on the ground and swinging the sphere). Worked quite well.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Muriden wrote: »
    How did everyone solve the puzzle with the companion sphere (OF HATE!) where you needed to hold two switches down that would open two doors to allow an energy ball to pass through and raise the third platform for the room. I sat the sphere on one switch and used a camera that I "liberated" from the wall to jump onto the 2nd switch.

EDIT:
    I just held the first one open and when the sphere came through, I jumped off to close the door and then quickly ran over and opened the second door before the sphere died out.

Also, when can we stop spoilering everything? I assume when we end this beast of a thread.

anable on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I put the sphere on the outer door, took it off once the orb had passed, then took it to the inner platform. The orb will just bounce between the doors till you open one or it explodes, which is based on time not number of bounces.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

EDIT:

I
    put the companion cube on the 2nd switch and stepped on the first switch once the orb flew by.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

EDIT:

I
    put the companion cube on the 2nd switch and stepped on the first switch once the orb flew by.

People never pay attention to the word "Advanced". *shrug*

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Houn wrote: »

EDIT:

I

Nope, course I'm at work and don't have the map numbers memorized yet.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

EDIT:

I

Dunno what the map number has to do with the word "Advanced" or not. Advanced 17 is the same map as the regular 17, only with slight modifications to make it more difficult. It's available from the main menu by selecting Bonus Maps > Advanced.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

EDIT:

I

Dunno what the map number has to do with the word "Advanced" or not. Advanced 17 is the same map as the regular 17, only with slight modifications to make it more difficult. It's available from the main menu by selecting Bonus Maps > Advanced.

Ok, thought I was thinking of the wrong map. I haven't gotten around to the bonus maps yet, my bad.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »

In Portal they also made it more interesting. I know they can keep the details secret until completed but the vague language made each one seem like something completely different than what it turned out to be. Party-goer description was great...out of context it was confusing and made no damn sense.

Im sorry, I mean more along the lines of "do we need an achivement for every little thing we do in the game"(finish level 1, achivement, finish level 2, achievement and so on. I dont care how their named, although creativity is always welcomed) I do enjoy the achivements, I think its a bit much to have one after every little section in a game.

From the response it makes me feel like you all need those to actually complete the game or something. I guess im the "not everyone playing T-ball should get a trophy just for playing" kind of guy, haha.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What does glados say in spanish at the beginning?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

EDIT:
    Used the ball to climb to one button, then picked up the ball and lobbed it to the other switch Michael Jordon style.

Completely harebrained, but awesome. SWISH.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.