As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hatch Green [chat]

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    *narrows eyes at Skippy* you did this to my family....

just have kids that go to bed at 730p so spool can play lol as much as he wants

its easy

May you be cursed with three teenagers in your house and a diseased horse!

I have a three-nager : (

little jerk

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    to be fair real life is stupid

u cant even win it u just stave off losing until eventually u stack so many debuffs ur max hp gets set to zero

shit game design

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    what if belasco got a taser and jabbed them in the neck whenever she got a reply she didnt like?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    How do people fight for days? How do people have energy to fight for days? Over a video game. It's like cave-persons.

"You said words while me play game hit things unga mad!"

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

I'm not saying we didn't fight but, for days? Heck if we fought at all our parents dropped the hammer quick. And our parents always won any fight with them quickly because they could take away anything we held dear on a whim.

Seriously I've told this story before, when I was 15 I didn't clean my room for months despite them telling me to, I went to summer camp for a week and when I came back I had a bed frame and a dresser with no drawers. They took the lightbulbs. I got back the things I could remember having.

That's not winning.

Forfeit counts as a win.

It doesn't though! Because forfeit just means that both parties are still angry about whatever is going on, and the fight continues eternal

Usually one side isn't angry at all though, and destroying the other side's will to fight preemptively is better than fighting.

Also wtf Firefox, you do not correct preemptively into pee-emptively.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The "naughty corner" game in the spool house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VflX3Xof_9s

Play until you get 1000 coins. This is easier said than done.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

u cant even win it u just stave off losing until eventually u stack so many debuffs ur max hp gets set to zero

shit game design

um no it's amazing

we are all playing torchbearer in real life

constantly stacking conditions

hungry and thirsty, exhausted, angry, sick, afraid, injured, one after the other

until we are dead

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Just to be clear: I am also a gamer, it's not like I don't understand how much it sucks to be interrupted...omg interrupting me during a cutsceen I haven't seen before can be frustrating, but usually I just hold up a finger or say "gimme a minute" and all is well. I don't take people's heads off 'cause in the middle of a self-induced adrenaline high.

I am really tempted to pull the sex card for this one.

Honestly, I think there's something to that :/

Testosterone itself causes mammals to be highly aggressive. I'm having a hard time finding actual studies that link adrenaline/F&F/testosterone directly though.

If it wasn't a multiplayer competitive game I'd be willing to bet money they wouldn't react that way. If it was a single player game with a cutscene, absolutely that response would be alien and extreme.

Didn't @Shivahn or @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud have something to say on more recent research on this topic?
    Testosterone drives risk taking behavior. It doesn't drive aggression.
    Its an oft repeated biological myth that testosterone drives anger.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    How do people fight for days? How do people have energy to fight for days? Over a video game. It's like cave-persons.

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

I'm not saying we didn't fight but, for days? Heck if we fought at all our parents dropped the hammer quick. And our parents always won any fight with them quickly because they could take away anything we held dear on a whim.

Seriously I've told this story before, when I was 15 I didn't clean my room for months despite them telling me to, I went to summer camp for a week and when I came back I had a bed frame and a dresser with no drawers. They took the lightbulbs. I got back the things I could remember having.

That's not winning.

They make a desert and call it peace.

Longestcontinuousimperialstructuresayswhat? :P

Is Rome the longest? I thought China had them licked.

I ... hmm.

That's actually a really good question.

My gut says you're probably right, but then we could get real finicky about where and when a thing started and stopped being an empire, and whether brief interruptions count as actual interruptions in the continuum. :P

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

its easy

Do

do you guys have a horse

That's p cool

Fun fact: Horse can be slang for a heroin habit.

Wait, that's not fun at all!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Blameless, whenever you get mad at someone you should take that picture you sent me and tape it to their door.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

I'm an older sibling (I have a sister 2.5 years younger) and we never fought.

Its mostly about not being a dick to each other. Its just for most adolescents that is difficult. My family always put a high premium about watching out for other people in your family as well, so that might have helped. At age 7 or 8 she once jumped on top of a 10 year old and started punching him for saying something mean about her brother. I didn't really need the protection but it was a nice thought and it kind of characterized our relationship.

In HS she was an average student who was also on the academic decathlon team because her big brother used to be on it, and she was completely accepted because she was Pants' little sister. I was the brain, she was the charismatic one(she ended up homecoming queen). We were different enough that we didn't compete and we complimented each other well.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

Forfeit counts as a win.

It doesn't though! Because forfeit just means that both parties are still angry about whatever is going on, and the fight continues eternal

Usually one side isn't angry at all though, and destroying the other side's will to fight preemptively is better than fighting.

o-o

How could one side not be angry
    I am confused

Parent is doling out punishment because anger
    Child is anger about punishment, or about original thing that caused anger

I guess I'm not talking about fights like "YOU DIDN'T TAK EOUT THE TRASH" or "YOU SAID A MEAN THING" I'm talking about ones that LOOK like that but are actually "I DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY" or "I DON'T THINK YOU RESPECT AND APPRECIATE ME"

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

I ... hmm.

My gut says you're probably right, but then we could get real finicky about where and when a thing started and stopped being an empire, and whether brief interruptions count as actual interruptions in the continuum. :P

The Han (who did have a pretty serious breakdown in the middle) is about the same length as imperial Rome (who also had a pretty serious breakdown in the middle). With the Zhou the problem is establishing dates. Most of the info about it is much later semi-mythical materiel.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Blameless, whenever you get mad at someone you should take that picture you sent me and tape it to their door.

No wait, better

draw it again, in sharpie, ON their door

• Options
    milski wrote: »

its easy

Do

do you guys have a horse

That's p cool

I

I think I've known more people that have actual horses than have had heroin addictions.

That or I have seriously misjudged the people I've associated with.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

Forfeit counts as a win.

o-o

I am confused

I guess I'm not talking about fights like "YOU DIDN'T TAK EOUT THE TRASH" or "YOU SAID A MEAN THING" I'm talking about ones that LOOK like that but are actually "I DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY" or "I DON'T THINK YOU RESPECT AND APPRECIATE ME"

this is silly

so long as ur relationship with ur brothers is that u dont respect or apprecaite them ever there is no confusion

its ez

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Bowen wait are you making a game, and like in the stage where you're really just thinking about what kind of game to create?

We're doing a lot of back end stuff at the moment.

You'd be surprised at just how much of a game can be recycled, even between different genres.

We have an idea of what we want to do, but, we'll see.

That's really neat!

I have to say I really love Darkest Dungeon/FTL/Etc style dungeon crawling with crew. Not even necessarily the roguelite aspects, I just love having people. The XCOM effect of just being like "Oh no, Jenkiiiiins!"

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Maybe the trash fight lasts ten minutes, but the listening fight (aka the real fight) lasts months

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    there is such a thing as too much watermelon consumed in too short of a time

i regret nothing though

• Options

shit game design

The guy who did the weapon degrade rate in System Shock 2 applied the same rate to our telemeres.

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

Forfeit counts as a win.

o-o

I am confused

Punishments usually aren't about anger, they're about having a consequence for an action. We almost always step back and calm down before handing out consequences, or we have set ones so if X line is crossed you guys know that Y punishment is coming.

Also, different families have different dynamics - vastly different. For MhaP it sounds like this consequence worked, and I expect the next couple of times he was told to clean his room he did.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i am apparently a saint and was a saintly teenager

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I have this opened up in separate tab today because it just has this emotional connection that I just can't explain.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/userpics/612/pUH0US3NOG0IN.gif

hi

i'm the

that's me

the funniest thing about this post is that i posted the exact same thing in response to TTODewback posting the exact same thing like 3 months ago

gotcha suckers

• Options

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

I ... hmm.

Just like my Ship of Theseus style musings on whether Constantinople in 476 could claim to be the Roman Empire.

(I think yes)

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

Forfeit counts as a win.

o-o

I am confused

Man, you don't punish out of anger, doing it out of anger is an easy way to go too far. You punish to send a message about behavior. And who cares if the kid is angry about a punishment, they're the one who did a thing deserving punishment in the first place.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Also, I have oreos and milk to drown my sorrows in so I am slow with replies right now

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

its easy

Do

do you guys have a horse

That's p cool

I

I think I've known more people that have actual horses than have had heroin addictions.

That or I have seriously misjudged the people I've associated with.

Is it weird the only person I've ever met that I knew had an active heroin addiction was an Ivy League student? And she was from a middle class background?

She dropped out, of course. And it was because of a boy who was an addict, of course.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Real talk. I don't think that prioritizing an online game over real life situations that demand attention is reasonable. I also don't think that continuing to play a game when it is upsetting your partner or causing you to ignore your spouse or children is reasonable. Basically the only situation. Where I think that kind of behavior is acceptable is a work emergency, and it should be a real emergency that you will get in trouble over if you put it off.

• Options

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

I ... hmm.

The Han (who did have a pretty serious breakdown in the middle) is about the same length as imperial Rome (who also had a pretty serious breakdown in the middle). With the Zhou the problem is establishing dates. Most of the info about it is much later semi-mythical materiel.

Yeah, that was part of my point about defining when an empire "started" and when it was really "ended" or "interrupted" significantly enough to mark a break in the "imperial continuum".

With Rome of course it's pretty easy to set a rough start and end date (I mean, we could debate both a little bit, but loosely speaking), and the significant interruption is pretty readily apparent.

Whereas things get a little trickier with China because, yeah ... if you apply the definitions loosely enough, it basically starts in pre-history and only ended recently >_>

• Options
    Old Kingdom Egypt lasted a solid 500 years at least under the same small extended family. And that's if you take the reductionist view that it didn't start until the move of the capitol to Memphis. If you include the earlier period when the same family was ruling from the south it is more like 1000 years of stability and political unity under the same family.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    But seriously.
    Ban LoL and only only allow them to play DA:I MP
    with me.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    But seriously.
    Ban LoL and only only allow them to play DA:I MP
    with me.

This is sage advice

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Never had a real life situation come up while playing Vida games. Maybe I need to start going out more?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Guten Eveninski, senor and amicis.

• Options
    Guten Eveninski, senor and amicis.

*nods* El Comandante

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bela train them like a dog.

Lots of positive reinforcement and liver treats when they do what you want.

And patience.

Make them all sit as you train the puppy so they have to wait.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

That's not winning.

I ... hmm.

Just like my Ship of Theseus style musings on whether Constantinople in 476 could claim to be the Roman Empire.

(I think yes)

I think the "eastern empire" is still essentially Roman in culture and governance until the mid 7th century. By that time depopulation and loss of territory in war had reached the point of it being a fundamentally different society just as it did in the west (Roman culture went on for a long time after the last Emperor in some places).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Never had a real life situation come up while playing Vida games. Maybe I need to start going out more?

the real issues come in having a life partner you live with and possible offspring

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Today, the floodgates opened.

Was a v. good day at the bukkake factory.

• Options
    I'm with John Green: Emperors and Monarchs need more nicknames like Yu the Engineer.

"Great" and "Terrible" are just overplayed.

Justin the Apostate was an interesting one though.

This discussion has been closed.