[chat] for eighteen ~excelsiors~

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Is "resoberize" a verb?

Resoberify is.

Rly?

Definition?

Re-make sobered

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I hear arguments for TOS, TNG, and DS9 as being the best series. My personal favorite is DS9, but I can definitely see how the other two shows can be a contender. In the Pale Moonlight and The Visitor are the standout episodes, but I think I just find the characters and their story arcs much more interesting on DS9. Gul Dukat and Kai Winn are probably some of my favorite villains of all time.

Every time Kai Winn showed up, I wanted to punch her in the face, and then I realized "Hey, that's REALLY good acting!" Unless she's like that in real life... I'm sure she's not...

"Regina Fong" pointed out in the Star Trek thread that she's from Alabama. So you can just replace "Walk with the Prophets" with "Aww bless your heart" as what she says, mentally, and realize she's probably just playing a space-version of an archetype she's familiar with.

then also remember she played Nurse Ratched and you see alot of that character in Winn

holy shit

mind blown

did you not know that?
    ten_thousand.png
    Today is his lucky day that he gets to find out something cool!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Pony did you ever read the book Andrew J. Robinson wrote based on his time playing Garak? It was actually a great Garak story.

I guess while playing him he wrote a daily journal in character. Garak was a character with a huge background a lot thanks to the actor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I liked Voyager a lot as a kid, but now it just feels so hollow and cheap compared to TNG and DS9.

Lh96QHG.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I hear arguments for TOS, TNG, and DS9 as being the best series. My personal favorite is DS9, but I can definitely see how the other two shows can be a contender. In the Pale Moonlight and The Visitor are the standout episodes, but I think I just find the characters and their story arcs much more interesting on DS9. Gul Dukat and Kai Winn are probably some of my favorite villains of all time.

Every time Kai Winn showed up, I wanted to punch her in the face, and then I realized "Hey, that's REALLY good acting!" Unless she's like that in real life... I'm sure she's not...

"Regina Fong" pointed out in the Star Trek thread that she's from Alabama. So you can just replace "Walk with the Prophets" with "Aww bless your heart" as what she says, mentally, and realize she's probably just playing a space-version of an archetype she's familiar with.

then also remember she played Nurse Ratched and you see alot of that character in Winn

holy shit

mind blown

did you not know that?

I only watched One Flew Over once, so I never made that connection

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    @Organichu Beast and I are making Keto peanut butter/chocolate ice cream (using an ice cream machine he bought off amazon a year ago)

I am excited

Will report on results

What's the difference between regular peanut chocolate ice cream and keto one?

stevia as a sweetener instead of sugar, overemphasis on eggs and heavy cream, unsweetened chocolate
    I've made this (sans peanut butter, but that also sounds delicious!). It took a few tries before I got it to be satisfactory for my tastes, but it was a GRAND experiment involving a month of making and eating ice cream. :D "No... it's not quite right. I'd better make another batch." :D

Safeway has a low carb Butter Pecan now! 4 net carbs per serving. That's low enough to be, like, "I don't give a fuck how much of this I eat". I missed Butter Pecan, so this was a godsend.

I've been making Flax Seed Coffee Mug muffins recently. It's something like 1/4 cup of ground flax seed (which a lot of labels say is 1g net carb per 2 tablespoons, but they round fractions... real ground flax seed is something like 0.1 to 0.3 net carb per Tablespoon, per most nutrition books, which is way lower), 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, a small slice of butter, some cinnamon and artificial sweetener to taste and 1 egg. Mix it all in a coffee mug well (no lumps), microwave for 1 minute.

The muffins aren't awesomely fantastic (YET), BUT I always regarded muffins as a medium upon which I smear butter or jam, and this is perfect for that purpose.

I haven't had muffins or breadlike substances for months, now, so my taste may be a bit skewed at this point.

At this point I'm paying fast and loose with Keto and don't intend to keep up with it after my birthday (3 weeks). I can't fathom having to always be stocking up on specialty ingredients to make a semblance of what I really desire--aka a real muffin god dammit. Though that does sound easy to make.

Re this ice cream: currently hardening in freezer. Liberally licked off the spoons we used to mix in the peanut butter. So good. So good. I missed ice cream. OMG. Can't wait to eat when it is hardened for real

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Im going to repost this cause its quite something

Stealing this from NeoGAF
    So some background before watching this;
    I did some digging and found out about this girl named Gloria Tesch who's written some extremely long, hacky fantasy novels that are essentially a Narnia knock-off. Her dad, who's apparently a multi-millionaire businessman in Florida, has taken it upon himself to direct a series of movies based on his daughter's books.

In the tradition of Samurai Cop, The Room, Birdemic and Fateful Findings, I give you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZOOPwwHMY

bloodyroarxx on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Neelix was also one of the worst examples of, fuck i don't know the term for this, some TV Tropes nerd probably has a name for this

where a show keeps ramming this obnoxious as fuck character in the audience's face with absolutely no awareness that the fans hate the character and find them terrible and they keep trying and trying to make the character popular for no reason

like maybe the production like the actor involved and they want to keep him on the show or someone high up likes the character but for whatever reason they think the character is essential so they keep on keeping on with this shitty character and it never ever works

there's "Neelix episodes" in every season of Voyager and they're always awful and exist for no reason

Voyager had a really hard time figuring out which characters and actors were actually good and featuring them

like for example, they kept doing episodes about Harry Kim

because

i don't know, they hate themselves

The TVTropes name is actually pretty appropriate: The Wesley.

SHUT UP, WESLEY

SHUT UP, NEELIX

SHUT UP UH

shit who do I hate on DS9

I hate Winn but you're supposed to and I do not hate her in the same way
    early seasons bashir, late seasons jake sisko

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I love Kira's deer in headlights look.

"Really."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Pony did you ever read the book Andrew J. Robinson wrote based on his time playing Garak? It was actually a great Garak story.

I guess while playing him he wrote a daily journal in character. Garak was a character with a huge background a lot thanks to the actor.

i have not

i generally avoided star trek books because they were poop from a butt

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Bogart wrote: »
    That Rikergoogling accent is worth following.

kek

RMS Oceanic on
    Mazzyx wrote: »

i have not

i generally avoided star trek books because they were poop from a butt

So do I.

It was I think one of 3 I ever read?

It was unique because it was written about Garak on Cardassia after the war by the actor who played Garak based on his notes and journals playing the character through the show.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

"it's easy to be a saint in paradise" is a thing that DS9 hits on over and over

that yeah great, the Federation sure are the galaxy's moral compass

boy howdy is it really hard for them to be shining examples of morality when nobody is hungry or wanting for anything, hell they even seem to have solved basically every social problem

I'm glad DS9 and later TNG widened the cracks on the Federation a bit. Gene's vision of a "more evolved humanity" was actually kind of dumb

override367 on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    bashir was such an weird turnaround for a character

he is the worst douche in the universe for like, a season or two

then somewhere he spontaneously becomes actually great

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is "resoberize" a verb?

Resoberify is.

Rly?

Definition?

Re-make sobered

Oh it reminds me of that Timbaland song:

It's too late to resoberfy
    It's too late
    It's too late to resoberfy
    It's too late

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Fucking fuck, they just interrupted the champions league final for a child abduction emergency message. I'm inside, watching a game, assholes.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    TOS, TNG, and DS9 are all different shows and are good for different reasons and I think which one you prefer is going to boil down to what you enjoy in a show.

DS9 is the most modern-feeling as it ran until like 1999 and it has the most consequential ongoing plot (although the arc plotting is weird and stoppy-starty by modern serial drama standards). It also makes exploring murky ethical territory a central element of the storytelling - which isn't to say that it's the first to do so (as some fans claim), but it definitely places a higher priority on it.

TNG is the character-focused one. They managed to craft a show populated almost entirely by these immensely likeable archetypal people who are equally watchable dealing with personal issues or saving the human race from some epic, widescreen-scale menage. The show's stories are uneven, although it has three or four of some of the best Star Trek seasons ever, which is pretty churlish to complain about, but from the first episode to the last, the characters power it.

TOS is the fun, exciting, adventurous one. Every single week is packed with a new terrifying menace that can only be defeated by science, ethical humanism, and judo. Where the modern shows were often kind of slowly-paced in a self-important WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ISSUES kind of way, the original show was unabashed good times - it was always trying to be either scary, exciting, or funny - and remains really watchable as a result. This is also why I make a jack-off motion when someone complains that the new movies "aren't Star Trek" because explosions happen in them.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the funniest thing is yeah the Federation is paradise. and what do it's people all do for fun?

FUCKING COSPLAY

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I did like how Winn's final arc was basically something straight out of Christian mythos. The greedy holy (wo)man, led astray by the devil's temptations and her exploitable pride.

There was a lot I didn't like about how it was handled, but the general concept was something I enjoyed. It's almost a Greek tragedy with a Catholic deadly sin as the tragic flaw.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    It is perilously nice out today.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Neelix was also one of the worst examples of, fuck i don't know the term for this, some TV Tropes nerd probably has a name for this

where a show keeps ramming this obnoxious as fuck character in the audience's face with absolutely no awareness that the fans hate the character and find them terrible and they keep trying and trying to make the character popular for no reason

like maybe the production like the actor involved and they want to keep him on the show or someone high up likes the character but for whatever reason they think the character is essential so they keep on keeping on with this shitty character and it never ever works

there's "Neelix episodes" in every season of Voyager and they're always awful and exist for no reason

Voyager had a really hard time figuring out which characters and actors were actually good and featuring them

because

in Voyager's specific case I'm sure it had something to do with they were probably used to a decade+ of Star Trek fans complaining about everything that they just kind of tuned out the legitimate complaints along with everything else. And in their minds, it was the best-rated show on the network so clearly they were doing something right, yes?

Of course, the problem is that even awful fan nerds are sometimes right, and UPN was the network that featured Homeboys in Outer Space.

I wonder, in the age of social media, are there any modern shows that are so wildly dismissive of the people who watch them? It seems like Voyager2015 either could not happen or their twitter dude would be working a lot of overtime.

yeah around the time of DS9, all the core people of Star Trek kinda crystallized and just did their own thing regardless of what fans thought

I don't think nowadays that kind of thinking works, shows are too in tune with their communities now, for good or for ill

Everything I've read about DS9 suggests that it wasn't ignoring the fans that gave us DS9's quality, it was that Rick Berman wasn't hands-on enough on it to ruin it.

what i mean is

that's when they just sorta turned into The Core Star Trek People

Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, Michael Pillar, Jeri Taylor, etc.

Ron Moore was still around during the DS9 days which was a good thing because this was before BSG let him crawl inside his own asshole

but in the latter days of DS9, around the time Voyager was being conceived, there was just a core group of people who were the Star Trek brain trust and they felt they knew what Star Trek was and they didn't really listen to anyone else on the subject

and Voyager was kind of the result of that thinking

In retrospect BSG may well represent Ron Moore catching the "don't listen to anyone about anything" disease a few years later

the funniest thing is yeah the Federation is paradise. and what do it's people all do for fun?

FUCKING COSPLAY

Cosplay is awesome

Or, can be

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    It is perilously nice out today.

OUR STAR BURNS

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    bashir was such an weird turnaround for a character

he is the worst douche in the universe for like, a season or two

then somewhere he spontaneously becomes actually great

its when the O'Brein Bashir bromance got into full swing

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Early TNG is really, genuinely awful

and not just boring like early DS9

Code of Honor wtf

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    as i got older I actually started to find "Gene's Philosophy" kind of... offensive?

especially the really aggressively anti-transhumanist messages and appeals to nature that happened frequently in TNG

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

because

in Voyager's specific case I'm sure it had something to do with they were probably used to a decade+ of Star Trek fans complaining about everything that they just kind of tuned out the legitimate complaints along with everything else. And in their minds, it was the best-rated show on the network so clearly they were doing something right, yes?

Of course, the problem is that even awful fan nerds are sometimes right, and UPN was the network that featured Homeboys in Outer Space.

I wonder, in the age of social media, are there any modern shows that are so wildly dismissive of the people who watch them? It seems like Voyager2015 either could not happen or their twitter dude would be working a lot of overtime.

yeah around the time of DS9, all the core people of Star Trek kinda crystallized and just did their own thing regardless of what fans thought

I don't think nowadays that kind of thinking works, shows are too in tune with their communities now, for good or for ill

Everything I've read about DS9 suggests that it wasn't ignoring the fans that gave us DS9's quality, it was that Rick Berman wasn't hands-on enough on it to ruin it.

what i mean is

that's when they just sorta turned into The Core Star Trek People

Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, Michael Pillar, Jeri Taylor, etc.

Ron Moore was still around during the DS9 days which was a good thing because this was before BSG let him crawl inside his own asshole

but in the latter days of DS9, around the time Voyager was being conceived, there was just a core group of people who were the Star Trek brain trust and they felt they knew what Star Trek was and they didn't really listen to anyone else on the subject

and Voyager was kind of the result of that thinking

In retrospect BSG may well represent Ron Moore catching the "don't listen to anyone about anything" disease a few years later

I agree, including himself.

The DVD commentary makes it clear that by the end even he didn't know what he was about to do next.

Lh96QHG.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Another SF Debris theory I like: Wolf 359 is the Federation's 9/11 moment.

Everything from Star Trek VI onwards is the 1990's, give or take. No real existential threats, we bring families on board our ships and we were toying with whales.

Then the Borg comes and puts paid to all the little fictions they have.

So the Federation gets more militant. It starts small: Admiral McCarthy in the Drumhead riling up fears of the Romulans. But it gets worse. The late TNG/early DS9 attempts to placate the Cardassians so as not to deal with a security headache. Enterprise's sister ship the Odyssey has two fifths of her crew and a lot more weapons, and that's before the Jem Hadar destroy it and gives them even more to worry about.

Is it a coincidence that it's during TNG's later years that Riker's old CO is seeking the illegal cloaking device, or is it a drive to develop any edge to defend the Federation?

It is literally something that only works with hindsight, but it fits surprisingly well.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, spending time at my dad's house makes me so mad about real estate. He lives on 3 acres in a 5,000 sq ft house with a pool, hot tub, and a basement big enough for two pool tables, two pinball machines, an air hockey table a bar and a media room and it's probably only worth $700k in Northern NJ. I couldn't touch that house for less then 1.8mm in Long Island :(

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is also why I make a jack-off motion when someone complains that the new movies "aren't Star Trek" because explosions happen in them.
    I make jack-off motions when people talk about Star Trek. For different reasons. Erm.

Keep talking about Star Trek, guys. Don't worry about me over here, I'm just watching.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I still enjoy the shit out of BSG. I was rewatching it again recently. The first 2 seasons are just adrenaline and stress inducing TV in the best way. 33 is still one of the best episodes out there.

And even with some of the dumb of the last two seasons it still was a great show and I think some of the issues was them falling into the, "holy shit it is still going?" mixed with "Bubble of no one saying no."

JMS with B5 is one of the few before the show was even shot had the major points and characters planned from start to finish and the last season is a mess because they thought they were canceled after season 4 so they sped up and compressed some of her stories.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I did like how Winn's final arc was basically something straight out of Christian mythos. The greedy holy (wo)man, led astray by the devil's temptations and her exploitable pride.

There was a lot I didn't like about how it was handled, but the general concept was something I enjoyed. It's almost a Greek tragedy with a Catholic deadly sin as the tragic flaw.

This is actually one of my favorite recent examples of knowing EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN because I've seen this story before, and still being like :D WHAT HAPPENS

This is also why I make a jack-off motion when someone complains that the new movies "aren't Star Trek" because explosions happen in them.
    I make jack-off motions when people talk about Star Trek. For different reasons. Erm.

Keep talking about Star Trek, guys. Don't worry about me over here, I'm just watching.

are

are you masturbating to Star Trek discussions

jack off "motions"

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I've always had a soft spot for TNG, because I think it was so far better than its peers when it came out. DS9 has held up better over time because DS9 was really a great show, with complex characters and a solid political backdrop providing constant motivation for everyone involved and some cheesy but ultimately enjoyable acting.

TNG was ahead of its time, so I remember it more fondly, but going back to watch TNG is kind of a dangerous nostalgia, since so many episodes end up being worse than one might remember.

I'd love some massive TV service to start a new Star Trek series and take it in a different direction than the enjoyable-but-empty Abrams films. If only there was some sort of massive streaming service that was expanding into creating television

Two goats enter, one car leaves
This discussion has been closed.