Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Yes, yes, no, no, yes, no

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Look, we could be here all day. Genres are nonsense. RPG means little to nothing. Geographical genres aren't even useful for comparing similarities. Japanese people in Japan are able to make Baldur's Gate. Germans could make Dragon Quests. The games aren't that complicated.

Don't strain the kayfabe.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    100 new posts? Was there a game convention with a major press conference announcement?

Oh, 100 posts about FF14. I keep meaning to try that, but then I realize I have no free time ever.

At least it isn't 100 posts about Reco-ahem, ack, ahem. Excuse me.

FFXIV is really, really great. That's still something I say often because I'm still legitimately surprised it ended up this way.

Elder Scrolls Online crashed and burned yet somehow this do-over managed to be the only other MMORPG with a successful active subscription these days.

This is a legitimate question to you (and the rest of the thread) and by no means meant to be snarky:

Do all MMOs count as jRPGs? Do Japanese MMOs count as jRPGs? Do they merely borrow some common elements, while being their own distinct genre and style of game?

MMOs are just giant online, multiplayer driven RPGs.

Whether it's more a JRPG or WRPG depends on what kind of an RPG it's trying to be.

Japan and the US both kinda developed RPG games around nearly the same time, but in very different ways which is why each one is considered its own genre.

To go on a bit of a tangent, WRPGs tend to have much more focus on allowing the players to express themselves with customized character designs and dialogue choices, like Bioware/Bethesda games and similar stuff. This allows for the player to sort of disappear into the role more comfortably, but also limits how much an actual character the protagonist really is.

JRPG's generally have more narrowly defined characters, which certainly limits the player's options on what to do with them, but allows the protagonist to be more fleshed out. More of a real character in the story.

Some of the differences line up with cultural differences, such as how WRPGs tend to focus more on the individual character, while JRPG's are more often about the group, etc.

You could replace WRPG and JRPG with Personal RPG and Interpersonal RPG, since they more or less have the same meaning.

There are also the mechanical differences, such as how WRPGs often focus more on 1st/3rd person combat, while JRPG's are more associated with Turn-based battles. Even then, a major distinction between the two is how one focuses on one character fighting, whereas turn-base battles generally involve playing as the entire team.

But there are plenty of RPGs made in the west with Turn-based combat, and vise versa. There's no absolute rules to how this works, it's just there are certain things more widely associated with one corner of the globe's approach to making RPGs vs how the other generally does it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    I mean it's a fusion of 11 and WoW in that they took the game design of WoW and the art design and FF theming of 11, but 11's gameplay wasn't that far from WoW's in the first place.

About the only similar things wow and 11 have in common are classes and abilities. The gameplay and general pacing and group mechanics and everything else are wildly different. At least, as mmos go. They'll still be more similar than say wow to a character action game, but yeah. 11 is a billion times less approachable than wow was even at release.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There is a Big Hero 6 world in Kingdom Hearts 3

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    YAXXBAM

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    I'm glad that so far Nomura seems to be keeping good on his promise of mostly new worlds.

Now, no Little Mermaid, plz.

• Options
    Have this world based on The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Larlar
    If KH3 is more having fun with goofy IPs and less typical JRPG pretending to have fun with goofy IP's I'll be all for it

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Well, Fairy Fencer completed. It was disappointing to see Fang turn from the best JRPG protagonist into yet another generic bright-eyed hero. Story was competent, I guess, though there were a couple rough patches. Not to mention the source material felt like it had more potential than how it was treated. For example, it's outright stated that each Fairy has a chosen partner capable of unlocking their full power and they're destined to meet. But since Fang has been collecting them all that's 40 Fairies who will never meet their partner and will probably just sit shoved in the ground so I can climb Shukesoo's Tower. Oh, and the Godly Revival is absolutely pointless except to put an additional bonus on a fairy, though that's restricted by their rank. So if I have a B-Rank Fury with Post-Battle SP I can't place it on my otherwise perfect A-Rank Fury. Also fully unsealing the gods does nothing. No bit of story, no skit, no bonus fight, nothing at all.

All in all, the game feels a bit insubstantial. Also Galdo just shut the fuck up forever.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    If KH3 is more having fun with goofy IPs and less typical JRPG pretending to have fun with goofy IP's I'll be all for it

Considering KH3 is going to be wrapping up the series spanning original narrative,

yeah uh that ain't happening.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm glad that so far Nomura seems to be keeping good on his promise of mostly new worlds.

Now, no Little Mermaid, plz.

I think Nomura straight-up said there would be no Little Mermaid.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    FF7 remake
    I mean it's a fusion of 11 and WoW in that they took the game design of WoW and the art design and FF theming of 11, but 11's gameplay wasn't that far from WoW's in the first place.

About the only similar things wow and 11 have in common are classes and abilities. The gameplay and general pacing and group mechanics and everything else are wildly different. At least, as mmos go. They'll still be more similar than say wow to a character action game, but yeah. 11 is a billion times less approachable than wow was even at release.

Yeah the CAG comparison is more like what I'm saying, I'm speaking in terms of a broader perspective than just within the narrow MMORPG genre. Everything in the MMORPG genre these days is pretty similar in its core gameplay: mechanically they're either a descendant of EQ or a descendant of WoW, which is itself a descendant of EQ.

WoW is a wildly more successful game than FF11 and the reason is because of the differences between them, I agree with that. I just think it's a huge exaggeration to say that it takes being even 30% different to cause such a big difference in success. This is obviously not really quantifiable though, just sort of a gut feeling number so it's not really any more valid than your gut numbers.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Is disney going to buy square enix

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I await the revamp of Fantasyland into Final Fantasyland

• Options
    Bob Iger looks over the financial records for the development of ffxv and faints

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    -Tal wrote: »

In many ways that would be an ideal outcome.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    -Tal wrote: »

In many ways that would be an ideal outcome.

Fuck that, Disney owns too much stuff already.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Other
    it's about time for disney to get into the anime and manga business

• Options
    edited August 2015
    GLZjb0G.jpg

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    those are very luscious lips

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    Don't forget the Stitch anime.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Or the Marvel animes they now own

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

There you go.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    They also own Doreamon now.

At one point their network also had Naruto.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

Disney started the anime and manga business.

• Options
    FF7 remake
    "The only thing I can confirm for Persona 5 is 2015.”

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/08/atlus-usa-interview/

I'm a bit skeptical at this point, but still hopeful.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for Star War's world.

There better be Star Wars world.

THERE HAS TO BE STAR WARS WORLD.

I imagine they are going to reveal it in like, one of the Final Trailer's to just blow everyones minds.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I'm still waiting for Star War's world.

There better be Star Wars world.

THERE HAS TO BE STAR WARS WORLD.

I imagine they are going to reveal it in like, one of the Final Trailer's to just blow everyones minds.

If they don't do it, they will have seriously dropped the ball.

How can you miss the chance to have a lightsaber keyblade.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Top five missing Kingdom Hearts worlds that would make me crap my pants with excitement:

1.) Ducktales & Darkwing Duck.
    2.) Muppets/Sesame Street, including alternate puppet transformations for the trio.
    3.) Gargoyles.
    4.) A visit to one of the actual Final Fantasy worlds, thrashing heartless through Kefka's Tower or the Nibelheim Mako Reactor or whatever.
    5.) 1966's classic "Follow Me, Boys!", because a Disney Universe without Fred MacMurray and a young Kurt Russel is no Disney Universe at all.

I'd probably be pretty excited about a Star Wars or MCU world too, I guess.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I will continue to hold out hope for Persona 5 2015.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Darkwing Duck Limit Break:

"Let's. Get. Dangerous."

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how long between an LP being finished and getting added to the LP archive there usually is?

I was happily reading the Drakengard 3 LP for a few days then SA decides to demand money after I get halfway through it so now I really want to see the rest but have to wait and ahhhhh.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    The creator of the LP has to send it in for it to be archived, so it's exactly as varied time-wise as that. Sometimes it's the next day, something it's never ever.

Edit: That said, Id's LPs are all on the archive so chances are high it will be sooner rather than later.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Darkwing Duck Limit Break:

"Let's. Get. Dangerous."

Yes.

Yes!

Yes!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    my free company won the recruitment video contest so we all get dope limited edition mandragora necklaces B)

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Other
    your free company? isn't that also my free company?

This discussion has been closed.