As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Republican Primary Debate: Straight Outta Hamptons

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    If you want to see me mad just point me in the general direction of a judge running on the idea that the Old West was a great time in the history of law enforcement

And there are so many of them

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    A local judge contends the U.S. Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage has derailed Tennessee's ability to determine what constitutes divorce — leaving one Signal Mountain couple married against their will.

Hamilton County Chancellor Jeffrey Atherton denied the divorce petition last week after hearing from seven witnesses and going through 77 exhibits. Among several reasons he cited in rejecting the couple's divorce, one was the Supreme Court's June ruling.

Atherton said the Supreme Court must clarify "when a marriage is no longer a marriage." Otherwise, he contended, state courts are impaired from addressing marriage and divorce litigation altogether.

"The conclusion reached by this Court is that Tennesseans have been deemed by the U.S. Supreme Court to be incompetent to define and address such keystone/central institutions such as marriage, and, thereby, at minimum, contested divorces," Atherton wrote.
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/sep/03/judge-declines-divorce-case-citing-gay-marria/323201/

holy fuck I think my brain just exploded

Soooo at what point can I not show up to my job for several weeks at a time and cite the SCOTUS gay marriage decision as the reason?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    not only do you have elected judges

but the judges run on political party platforms

holy shit

it's real great when election season influences their judgements because they don't want to be seen as too easy on crime

oh wait no I meant terrifying

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Well, if you go by Hollywood Old West, it was a pretty great time to be a judge.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Re: Elected Judges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poL7l-Uk3I8

Should be mandatory viewing for the topic

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    in Florida many judges run un-opposed however you can vote to not retain them

i vote to kick every single judge out every single time, I don't care who they are. new blood.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I love "a bulldog dressed as Antonin Scalia."

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    My phone just told me that the Kentucky clerk has been ordered jailed by a judge for contempt of court.
    “The court cannot condone the willful disobedience of its lawfully issued order,” Judge Bunning said. “If you give people the opportunity to choose which orders they follow, that’s what potentially causes problems.”

Judge Bunning said Ms. Davis would be released once she agreed to comply with his order and issue the marriage licenses.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    holy shit

I mean, the attorney representing the couples was just requesting that she be hit with heavy fines. I don't think anyone anticipated actual jail time.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    My phone just told me that the Kentucky clerk has been ordered jailed by a judge for contempt of court.
    “The court cannot condone the willful disobedience of its lawfully issued order,” Judge Bunning said. “If you give people the opportunity to choose which orders they follow, that’s what potentially causes problems.”

Judge Bunning said Ms. Davis would be released once she agreed to comply with his order and issue the marriage licenses.

The judicial equivalent of, "Go to your room. You can come out when you decide you want to be good."

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    holy shit

I mean, the attorney representing the couples was just requesting that she be hit with heavy fines. I don't think anyone anticipated actual jail time.

The judge said that because she has others raising money for her legal defense that a simple fine wouldn't work.

• Options
    Found the full article now on the computer. Just adds some quotes from the clerk and people for/against outside the courtroom. This struck me in particular because what?
    “They’re taking rights away from Christians,” Danny Kinder, a 73-year-old retiree from Morehead, said of the courts. “They’ve overstepped their bounds.”

He declined to predict the outcome of Thursday’s hearing and what would happen to Ms. Davis.

“I’ve been praying about it, and we just have to turn it over to the Lord,” he said. “She has got to stand for what she believes, and I have to stand for what I believe, and I’m behind her 100 percent.”

Surely the Lord works in mysterious ways, huh?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm a Christian

We have rights

We have all of the rights

As ever, whenever somebody has to "take a stand" about legislating their beliefs to non-believers, I give you 1 Corinthians 5:12 --
    What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    holy shit

It's the US supreme court. I think sending a pretty clear message of " Don't try us on this we will not hesitate to enforce the maximum penalty" was their only option.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    holy shit

The judge said that because she has others raising money for her legal defense that a simple fine wouldn't work.

Yeah that makes sense.

I wonder how long it will take her sitting in jail for her to come around.
    holy shit

It's the US supreme court. I think sending a pretty clear message of " Don't try us on this we will not hesitate to enforce the maximum penalty" was their only option.

It was a federal judge in Kentucky who found her in contempt, not the Supreme Court, but yeah I get what you're saying.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Trump strikes me as the sort who would just save-scum every pickpocket attempt though.

No, he's the type who would totally fail and quit the game in anger, somehow get the devs to grant him all the achievements and then tell everybody that it was totally easy and you're a scrub for not beating it as easily as he did

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    holy shit

Yeah that makes sense.

I wonder how long it will take her sitting in jail for her to come around.

Not long but they tend to lock people up on weekends which means she'll probably be there for 3 days at least

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Reminds me of how people figured out how to hack the leaderboards in Super Meat Boy so their finish times were 0 seconds.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Found the full article now on the computer. Just adds some quotes from the clerk and people for/against outside the courtroom. This struck me in particular because what?
    “They’re taking rights away from Christians,” Danny Kinder, a 73-year-old retiree from Morehead, said of the courts. “They’ve overstepped their bounds.”

He declined to predict the outcome of Thursday’s hearing and what would happen to Ms. Davis.

“I’ve been praying about it, and we just have to turn it over to the Lord,” he said. “She has got to stand for what she believes, and I have to stand for what I believe, and I’m behind her 100 percent.”

My predictions:
    The court rules in favor of Davis: "It was God's will."
    The court rules against her: "They're going against God's will."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    oh man that is incredible and i hope i never have to talk to my inlaws about it holy shit i'm sure they're furious

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

She can fucking quit and go move to Iran if she doesn't want to deal with "the gays"

Didn't it come out that shes been married like a half dozen times and cheated on most of them, too? Which, if true, seems about par for the course when it comes to those "sanctity of marriage" types.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

She can fucking quit and go move to Iran if she doesn't want to deal with "the gays"

Didn't it come out that shes been married like a half dozen times and cheated on most of them, too? Which, if true, seems about par for the course when it comes to those "sanctity of marriage" types.

She's a born again Christian, so to her (and her supporters) her pre-born-again sins don't matter because she's repented.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    I just keep re-reading that Judge's statement and fuck yeah, dude.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I mean, certain brands of Christians have traditionally been granted the right to be awful to anybody they didn't personally like, so in a way he's not wrong. The flaw in his argument is thinking that taking away rights is overstepping their bounds. In fact, taking away rights is almost the entire purview of the court (under the assumption that our default state is "everything is legal" and that laws narrow that scope).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm a Christian

We have rights

As ever, whenever somebody has to "take a stand" about legislating their beliefs to non-believers, I give you 1 Corinthians 5:12 --
    What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

Add to that Romans 13:1-2
    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Religious Freedom is something I really wish we'd get rid of as a country, simply because its so terribly twisted.

Replace it with something incredibly narrow, that basically states you are free to practice your religion in home and place of worship, and that's it, period.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Didn't it come out that shes been married like a half dozen times and cheated on most of them, too?

Uh, no. I despise the woman but let's not spread shit about her. She was divorced three times and had two children out of wedlock. That's it.

edit: and even that's wrong. she's been divorced FOUR times, not currently married. I thought she was.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I saw it on Facebook but has it made it in here that this brave clerk standing up for the sanctity of marriage has herself been married FOUR times and became pregnant with the child of her first husband while still married to her third?

Also, in regards to jail over fines I though contempt always gets you thrown in jail? You can seek bail/bond and plea in court but it's not like a traffic citation.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm a Christian

We have rights

As a fellow Christian struggling with bigoted friends, you are my new hero. I generally took the tact of "rendering unto Caesar" and that kind of thing. But this is perfect.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

Oh man her life is like Springer on crack. Apparently she had kids with husband number four divorced him then convinced her third husband to remarry and adopt those children and then she divorced him.

It's like a fucking Greek Tragedy. Her Son is probably gonna unknowingly marry her then blind himself

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm a Christian

We have rights

As a fellow Christian struggling with bigoted friends, you are my new hero. I generally took the tact of "rendering unto Caesar" and that kind of thing. But this is perfect.

I recently was put in charge of a youth group (church work is my second job), and this verse is the first lesson I gave.

Young Christians know what Christianity looks like to non-believers these days, and they actually overestimated the negative opinions of non-Christians when I asked them to guess some researched statistics.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I couldn't separate the religion from the bigotry and that's like 60% of the reason I am no longer religious.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm a Christian

We have rights

Add to that Romans 13:1-2
    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

haha like these people care about the bible

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I also tend to think his financial policies (or musings, since he hasn't actually said anything about actual policy) is a bunch of hot air. "Simple tax code, middle class" is the B roll response for presidential economic ranting, and completely lacks any kind of substance or reason to pay attention without any other kind of context, imo. Romney said the same things, even after that Mother Jones video.

He's said that he would keep Social Security because it's "honoring a deal", and back in one of his earlier books he said that he's impose a one-time tax of 14.25% on trusts and individuals with net worths of over $10 million. Trump also wants to end tax loopholes for Wall Street- "The hedge fund guys didn't build this country. These are guys that shift paper around and they get lucky". He (and Sanders) are also very much against free trade.

Which is why you hear so much from the media about Sanders and Trump headed for disaster, and then they're all surprised when those policies turn out to be popular. The globalists who run both parties get very angry when someone talks like free trade isn't a part of the Constitution.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Like, what is the desired outcome of this opposition?

We just force young adults to live at home with their parents, pulling in almost no money and certainly not pushing a lot back into the system.

This isn't what you want for a capitalistic society!

i dont have any time to get into this shit today, but for a primer on the extreme version of their fears, read http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html

Is that the guy who got sued by his brother and Drudged after giving his employees a raise, followed by having jealous employees leave because other people got paid more?

Because the moral of that story is to screen for Republicans, practice surveillance awareness, and avoid being a darling of the left because the right can and will inconvenience you before holding their efforts up as an example of why you suck.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Religious Freedom is something I really wish we'd get rid of as a country, simply because its so terribly twisted.

Replace it with something incredibly narrow, that basically states you are free to practice your religion in home and place of worship, and that's it, period.

no that would be terrible

• Options
    just because religion is not important to you doesn't mean it's not important to other people, and what you're suggesting is extremely overbearing.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Langly wrote: »

no that would be terrible

Yeah, "All these religious people are wrong about how they are persecuted and we're limiting their rights. We're not doing that right now! So what we should do then is persecute them and limit their rights for real."

Noooooope.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Well I think the point was to somehow prevent people from citing religious freedom when what they really want is to be a dick.

How do we even stop that?

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Well I think the point was to somehow prevent people from citing religious freedom when what they really want is to be a dick.

How do we even stop that?

You don't. You will never stop people from being dicks completely.

This discussion has been closed.