Options

[steam] where overly specific genres come to life.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    This is the write up I did on Reddit about my ordeal that did fuck all: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/39ingj/my_tale_of_steam_support_woe/

The account restriction bullshit was just the shit icing on the carrion cake. I was without over $300 worth of purchases (9 months worth) for over a month for their "protection", and then the refund policy was announced like 2 weeks after I accepted their conditions for the refund. When I brought that up, they told me nope before telling me they would no longer be assisting me.

Dude, I just read that post (I'm honestly surprised that I never saw it before as I'm subbed to r/Steam). That is fucking brutal. They really need to get their shit together with support.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This is why I just buy Steam/PSN cards when I can.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Also is anyone else getting this Steam notification to give them a phone number? Did they add 2 step authentication?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Also is anyone else getting this Steam notification to give them a phone number? Did they add 2 step authentication?

I've already got email authentication turned on, I'm not giving them my phone number...

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

A little while ago. The latest update just added that notice.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This just popped up in one of those Steam update news windows:

dm5vijbnqpit.jpg

Reviews aren't too great!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    To celebrate me getting a promotion to a new job, I think it's only appropriate to do a giveaway of a game that exemplifies changing jobs. Two copies in fact!

signature.png

Open to the PA G&T Adventure Team. Winners must be active in the Steam thread, otherwise I'm going to request a reroll. Ends Friday 9/18.

Madican on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

dm5vijbnqpit.jpg

GOTY

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is why I just buy Steam/PSN cards when I can.

Right now my plan is to buy keys from other sites like GMG instead of directly from Steam. I know Valve still gets a cut, but hopefully less of one.
    Coffey wrote: »
    The account restriction bullshit was just the shit icing on the carrion cake. I was without over $300 worth of purchases (9 months worth) for over a month for their "protection", and then the refund policy was announced like 2 weeks after I accepted their conditions for the refund. When I brought that up, they told me nope before telling me they would no longer be assisting me.

I had an issue sort of similar to this with Microsoft over X-Box Live fraudulent charges. While I was asleep, someone emptied my debit card account via buying all the Call of Duty games plus all the DLC for them all. I woke-up to find the "order confirmed" e-mail. I was like "wait, what the fuck?" I never played a CoD game in my life. I've been over the FPS scene since our team failed to go pro at Counterstrike back in like 2001. Anyway, I contacted Microsoft, told them I didn't make the purchases, yadda yadda yadda. They wouldn't refund me but wanted to still take the games off the account or lock the account. I said you can take the games back, I don't want them but I want my money back. So I called my bank & told them to stop the payment. So my bank cancelled all the money before it was transferred and I got my money back. So then Microsoft wanted to take me to small claims court over it. It was all a giant headache & I ended up having to pay money out of pocket for games I never received.

I sold my X-Box 360 the next day & told Microsoft to piss off. I haven't supported them in any fashion since.

Why when someone else had my password to login to my X-Box Live account was my damn card tied to the account anyway? I sure as hell didn't have that enabled in any of my options...

Since it was a credit card I could have done a chargeback, but I've heard of Valve straight up locking accounts where you can't even play your games anymore. At least I still have that.

Man, just imagine sitting down to dinner, checking your email, and seeing this:
    Dear SirCarcass,

Thank you for your recent purchase on Steam. The items have been added to your Steam Library.

If you’re new to Steam, install the free Steam application now:
    http://www.steampowered.com/getsteam
    To play your new games, just launch the Steam application on your computer and log in using your Steam account name. Your games will be available in Steam on the "Library" tab.
    Any Downloadable Content (DLC) you've purchased is automatically downloaded and will be accessible from within the base game on Steam. To view your new DLC from within your Library, right-click on the base game and select "View Downloadable Content."
    This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your Purchase History
    online at any time by visiting https://store.steampowered.com/account.

BNSF ES44AC & SD40-2 Loco Add-On
    7.99 USD
    Donner Pass Southern Pacific
    39.99 USD
    Amtrak F40PH ‘California Zephyr’ Loco Add-On
    19.99 USD
    DB Freight: 1970s Loco Add-On
    24.99 USD
    DB ICE 1 EMU Add-On
    7.99 USD
    Munich Augsburg
    39.99 USD
    Train Simulator 2013 - BNSF GP38-2
    19.99 USD
    DB BR423 EMU Add-On
    19.99 USD
    DB BR424 EMU
    19.99 USD
    Train Simulator 2013 - DB BR Class 232
    19.99 USD
    Train Simulator 2013 - SD45 Southern Pacific
    7.99 USD
    Southern Pacific SD70M Loco
    19.99 USD
    Southern Pacific GP20
    19.99 USD
    Munich - Garmisch - Partenkirchen
    29.99 USD
    DB BR 411 ICE-T EMU Add-On
    19.99 USD
    Amtrak P30CH Loco Add-On
    19.99 USD
    Amtrak P42 DC Empire Builder Loco Add-On
    19.99 USD
    Burlington Northern F45
    19.99 USD
    CSX NRE 3GS-21B 'Genset'
    19.99 USD
    CSX AC6000CW
    19.99 USD
    CSX SD80MAC Loco Add-On
    19.99 USD
    DB BR218
    19.99 USD
    DB BR 442 Talent 2
    19.99 USD
    DB BR103 TEE Loco Add-On
    19.99 USD
    The Story of Forest Rail Route
    24.99 USD
    Miami - West Palm Beach
    39.99 USD
    London-Faversham High Speed
    39.99 USD
    BR Blue Class 08
    4.99 USD
    BR Green Class 08
    4.99 USD
    BR General Class 08
    4.99 USD
    CSX ES44AC
    4.99 USD
    CSX SD70MAC
    4.99 USD
    Class 08 Railfreight Add-On Livery
    4.99 USD
    Class 08 Triple Grey Livery Add-On
    4.99 USD
    Train Simulator - GP20 Burlington Northern Add-on Livery
    4.99 USD
    F7 Southern Pacific "Bloody Nose"
    4.99 USD
    BR 420 Blue
    4.99 USD

Subtotal:
    653.63 USD
    Tax:
    0.00 USD

Total:
    653.63 USD

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

dm5vijbnqpit.jpg

GOTY

Well, it's no Barbie Horse Adventures.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Bah. Why is it that all of the games that I want and have wishlisted are not available for Linux?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    I have to say, all these Miraculous Ladybug sigs are great @Antoshka @Pixelated Pixie

has the show already started?

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I have to say, all these Miraculous Ladybug sigs are great @Antoshka @Pixelated Pixie

has the show already started?

I don't think so. From memory, US release is Dec 6th, and NZ release is not a thing that will probably happen.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, not til December here. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    Balls, I remembered seeing Sep.2015 on one of the trailers wayyy back

back to waiting :(

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Balls, I remembered seeing Sep.2015 on one of the trailers wayyy back

back to waiting :(

I thought Nick was supposed to show it in Oct for the US

edit: looks like the 12/6 date came out last week.

OT: The Fall is pretty awesome so far. Thanks again @Corsini

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This is the write up I did on Reddit about my ordeal that did fuck all: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/39ingj/my_tale_of_steam_support_woe/

Dude, I just read that post (I'm honestly surprised that I never saw it before as I'm subbed to r/Steam). That is fucking brutal. They really need to get their shit together with support.

They're too busy not making Half Life (Episode) 3 to do anything else! And just like HL3, it's going to take most of the people at Valve being replaced before anything happens.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So guys. I just remembered a very amusing translation.

Das Gift.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Das Gift.

Not getting. Explain!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Das Gift.

Not getting. Explain!

lmgtf... nah. Das Gift is German for "poison". I've just always been amused by that. Also it seemed appropriate to this thread, where gifts are attacks and sometime plagues.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    The best kind of poison. Like "Open Up and Say... Ahh!" style Poison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_88L-CU7PD4

76561197967491341.png
  • Options

Das Gift.

Not getting. Explain!

lmgtf... nah. Das Gift is German for "poison". I've just always been amused by that. Also it seemed appropriate to this thread, where gifts are attacks and sometime plagues.

I DID google the damn german translation! It didn't translate... Stupid google.

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Good news everyone!

I just found out that J. Kyle Pittman, creator of You Have to Win the Game and Super Win the Game, is working on 2 new titles: Gunmetal Arcadia Zero and Gunmetal Arcadia.

Zero is going to be a short, prequel to the flagship game. The main Gunmetal will be a 2d Roguelite Adventure game in the spirit of Zelda 2 and Castlevania, complete with permadeath, procedurally generated dungeons and items, and some kinda meta-progression. He says he was heavily inspired by the Binding of Isaac and wants to capture the same rapid play sessions and high replayability. He is even documenting the whole thing as a devlog and video series.

http://gunmetalarcadia.com/wordpress/

Bad news everyone!

The video series is kinda not good. Also, despite tons of people loving You Have to Win the Game, and mostly positive reviews for the sequel, Super Win the Game sold rather poorly.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KylePittman/20141112/229946/When_quotDoing_Everything_Rightquot_Goes_Wrong.php

edit: The video series gets better at episode 12, so if you are interested, I would start there.

mildlymorbid on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Black Closet is out!

One of my minions is a traitor... 0_0
    v8GeEs3.jpg

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Black Closet is out!

One of my minions is a traitor... 0_0
    v8GeEs3.jpg

Isn't the guy from the box art that Everything According to Keikaku guy?

edit: or an Evangelion guy

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Two steam games you can play through in under an hour each:

Voices From The Sea:
    A very short (and free!) visual novel with a good amount of feels in it. BE lonesome misunderstood teenage boy. BEFRIEND mysterious and possibly supernatural girl. LEARN important lessons.

Proteus:
    Walk around a low-poly procedural-generated landscape while listening to soft and beautiful music that adapts to your surroundings. See the same world through all four seasons, then experience a very bizarre ending. If Dear Esther is just Too Damn Much Game for you, this is less game and more art.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Proteus:
    Walk around a low-poly procedural-generated landscape while listening to soft and beautiful music that adapts to your surroundings. See the same world through all four seasons, then experience a very bizarre ending. If Dear Esther is just Too Damn Much Game for you, this is less game and more art.

Oh so I was 1-38 minutes from finishing it. Yeah I second the "This is pretty but what the hell do I do?" sentiment.

• Options

Voices From The Sea:
    A very short (and free!) visual novel with a good amount of feels in it. BE lonesome misunderstood teenage boy. BEFRIEND mysterious and possibly supernatural girl. LEARN important lessons.

Proteus:

Dear Esther wasn't a game. It was someones burning abstract poem obsession sprinkled around a random island.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Voices From The Sea:

Proteus:

Dear Esther wasn't a game. It was someones burning abstract poem obsession sprinkled around a random island.

And it was damned beautifully done too!

• Options
    I just wonder about Proteus if it doesn't even look as good as Dear Esther did.

• Options
    I just wonder about Proteus if it doesn't even look as good as Dear Esther did.

Good is relative, considering Proteus goes for an artsy sort of pixel watercolor look, and Dear Esther is more realistic.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Proteus is an environment for you to observe and explore. That's what you do. And there are quite a few subtle interactions in the game. If you go to the right places at the right time you can trigger events and such.

My favorite thing is to find a pretty vista, sit and watch how the changing lighting interacts with the colors around you while listening how the changes in the environment shifts musical tone. It's digital synesthesia. In that regard I find the game highly interactive. It's some of the most rewarding interaction I've had in gaming, hands down. I also really appreciate how the game allows me to choose how I spend my time with it. I'd say more about that but that gets a little bit spoilery.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I also really appreciate how the game allows me to choose how I spend my time with it. I'd say more about that but that gets a little bit spoilery.

I think I'd actually need this info if I were to ever justify going back to it. Of course I'm just as likely to read it, think "huh" and continue to ignore Proteus.

Pretty and mildly interesting but not compelling enough for me personally to spend more than the 22 minutes I did. I'm pretty sure I was gifted it or bought it on one of its ridiculous cheap sales which keeps me from feeling too burned from the experience.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Proteus is an environment for you to observe and explore. That's what you do. And there are quite a few subtle interactions in the game. If you go to the right places at the right time you can trigger events and such.

My favorite thing is to find a pretty vista, sit and watch how the changing lighting interacts with the colors around you while listening how the changes in the environment shifts musical tone. It's digital synesthesia. In that regard I find the game highly interactive. It's some of the most rewarding interaction I've had in gaming, hands down. I also really appreciate how the game allows me to choose how I spend my time with it. I'd say more about that but that gets a little bit spoilery.

So you're saying I need to buy a wall-spanning projector and a 7.2 surround sound system? Well, if Drake says so I'm sure my wife will understand...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

So you're saying I need to buy a wall-spanning projector and a 7.2 surround sound system? Well, if Drake says so I'm sure my wife will understand...

I so wanted to set the cellar up as a media room with a projector and shit. Perfect layout for it. Silly family ruining it :(

• Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Well I don't feel like sleeping & I have no life, so I guess 3:45am is a good time to log on to Steam & play some games, right!?

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Coffey wrote: »
    Well I don't feel like sleeping & I have no life, so I guess 3:45am is a good time to log on to Steam & play some games, right!?

"Well, that's enough dialog formatting* for one night. What time is it, quarter after three? I should get some sleep...

...buuuuuut I could squeeze in another half hour of Mad Max..."

*Of course writing dialog for Arcanum is easy. Fitting it into the crazy formatting and learning each of the little condition checking codes solely from the context of other NPC dialog is the hard part.

Fuck it, I'm invested now. I will make this fucker work through sheer force of will and as many margaritas as it takes.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Ossu all! If i could trouble your ears with a bit of relevant, but to the side questionary?

So...my trusty XBox360 controller is starting to show its age (which at just a touch under 2yrs cheeses me off a bit, but such is life) and, while flush (kinda) from payday, i was thinking it was time to replace. Poking around at a couple of stores it looks like i can pick up an XBone wired controller for around 35bucks (the X has not sold well in Japan), which means i could probably track down another 360 one for 25ish.

So, anyone with experience with both, would it be worth it to go with the XBone one? i'm thinking mainly in terms of durability, i'd rather not have to replace again for awhile. i got to hold a display one, but it wasn't hooked up to anything playable, so i couldn't really put it through its paces; but it felt roughly the same at a blush.

The second, semi-related question is: Any of y'all have any issues hooking your PC/laptop up to a TV? i used to be able to do it with my old laptop, but for some reason, this one doesn't seem to want to recognize it's hooked up. It's weird, i'm using the same HDMI cable as i was with the last one (and the one i've been using for ages with my PS3, never had any problems with either). i poked around a bit with google, but nothing pointed me in a useful direction. If i could get it working i'd consider picking up a wireless controller (which would still be 15bucks less than the PS4's), but otherwise wired is just as well.

Thanks for your time, and sorry this wasnae more directly tethered to Steam.

(Oh...i've done a second runthrough on Phantom Breakers, am finding it strangely addicitve...that's kinda Steam related).

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Frem wrote: »
    Is there a way to get Mad Max to boot to the title screen? It's not Batman/Shadow of Mordor levels of bad with the splash screens, but it's slower than I'd like.

This drives me apeshit. I don't know why developers/publishers feel compelled to throw ten company logos in front of you every time you start a game.

Yes, this game is called Crysis 2. It's made by Crytek. It runs on CryEngine, I get it. Yes, Intel is great, all hail Intel. Oh my, Nvidia, how could I forget thee? Hmmm, let's look at another page filled with middleware companies that I do not care about. Ok, now let's look at a "press start/enter to begin" title screen that is a holdover from arcades and hasn't been relevant for decades. Even worse when it's a handheld game. If I've got five minutes to dick around I don't need a minute of that to be taken up by intro logos.

The "press start/enter to begin" screen is actually a holdover from consoles; it's a controller selection mechanism. If you have multiple controllers attached, the game will use whichever one you press "start" on. The alternatives are only accepting input from the "player 1" controller or accepting all input from all attached controllers.

Few PCs have more than one controller attached these days, so I suspect it'll only become really relevant on our platform if Steam Machines take off.

Microsoft required it on 360 games for a few technical reasons but it's still an arcade holdover to tell the machine when you were finished adding quarters/credits and wanted to begin the game.

The other major arcade holdover that still comes up from time to time is the demo mode/gameplay video that shows up when you don't push anything for a while. This is the modern evolution of the arcade attract reel (that not only pulled in passing people but also performed double duty by preventing screen burn-in).

Basically neither of these things need to be included in modern PC games, but at least the demo mode can be cool sometimes.
    Big Classy wrote: »

And it was damned beautifully done too!

No joke. Dear Esther is basically a tech demo for just how pretty an eleven year old game engine can look. If you've ever dicked around in Hammer I'd recommend you give it a shot just so that you can imagine how much of a monstrous undertaking it must have been to make.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    LKD6xV2.png

@ReverseCreations attempted another Night-time Library Assault, which appears to be something of a pattern (he should probably seek help for this compulsion).

However, as I already have Dead Island Epidemic, this seems redundant and I must decline. Thanks for the thought, though! I'm sure you can find it a home. Like, maybe with Antoshka. Just sayin.

<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
This discussion has been closed.