As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] Marauder announcement lands critical hit on wallets.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If they release mod tools like they did for shadowrun then maybe someone will make a campaign for the founding of the FRR.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure which 3025 house I'd run with. Steiner thinks scout mechs start at 100 tons and terrorize the enemy with polka warhorns but they're also massively incompetent. In 3025, Rasalhague is part of the DC and DC has the Dragon but it's the DC so meh. Meanwhile House Davion is the home of my personal chariot, the Jagermech but Davion is kinda boring.

I've always gone with Kurita or Marik in 3025. Just my personal preference though.

I honestly don't know much about Marik since they haven't really been much of a thing in the Mechwarrior games.

They've never really been much of a thing in any of the BattleTech properties. They're actually the most ethnically/culturally diverse of the five Great Houses (all of the other four are basically just some broad stereotype IN SPACE), they have a somewhat unique system of government that made them the closest thing to an actual democracy of any of the Successor States (at least for a while), and they did as much fighting as anybody else during the Succession Wars era (against the Steiners and Liaos on their two borders). So you'd think there'd be some decent fodder there for some interesting plotlines.

But the writers never paid much attention to them. They never had any major POV characters in the main storyline of the fiction, and the couple of books that were set in Marik space were weird or bad or only dealt with relatively small-time stuff or dealt with characters who were originally from the Free Worlds League but with all the action taking place somewhere other than the FWL and totally disconnected from it (like the Comacho's Caballeros books). When Marik did make an impact as a faction it was usually just as a plot device, the ultimate example of course being the reveal that...

...their head of state has been replaced with a double and the real guy is the secret evil mastermind behind the Word of Blake who decides to nuke half the Inner Sphere.

I guess in the Dark Age era there are actually a couple of books with Marik protagonists trying to rebuild or hold on to what's left after the FWL ends up splintered but I never read them.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I think my biggest problem with the pub queue is it is filled to the brim with people in Heavies. Lazy clanners in their Timberwolfs and Hellbringers, or package buyers leveling their latest heavy. The last thing I want to do before my latest 3 minute, one-sided stomp is spend 5 minutes waiting in the queue.

Mediums and Assaults are really the two sides of the game. Mediums are fast and fragile, Assaults are slow and powerful. Heavies are fast and powerful, with no real downsides. Starting with them is a great way to develop bad habits and rely on your mech to win instead of your skills as a player. And really, heavies make terrible LRM platforms (especially IS) because you can fit similar loadouts on a Medium without spending all your CBills on an XL300 and they have better quirks.
    What are lights? Hopes and dreams held together by force of will?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think my biggest problem with the pub queue is it is filled to the brim with people in Heavies. Lazy clanners in their Timberwolfs and Hellbringers, or package buyers leveling their latest heavy. The last thing I want to do before my latest 3 minute, one-sided stomp is spend 5 minutes waiting in the queue.

Mediums and Assaults are really the two sides of the game. Mediums are fast and fragile, Assaults are slow and powerful. Heavies are fast and powerful, with no real downsides. Starting with them is a great way to develop bad habits and rely on your mech to win instead of your skills as a player. And really, heavies make terrible LRM platforms (especially IS) because you can fit similar loadouts on a Medium without spending all your CBills on an XL300 and they have better quirks.

And wonky hitboxes.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Just had a super fun pug v pug CW that we won by a landslide. We got two waves ahead in our first wave and just decided to bumrush them from that point on. We got sloppy and they got a bunch of kills due to us overextending but in the end it wasn't enough to dig themselves out of the hole they were in. Fun stuff.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    At lassssssst! She is completed!

HFEYiR9.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    390 overclocked with 8gigabytes of ram

Sweet mother of god.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    From what the KS page says apparently they aren't just sharing the 'art', they're also sharing the mech models lifted from MWO.

Which is alright! Y'know, as long as they scale them a bit.
    We’re excited by the great redesigns Piranha and Catalyst have done for some those “imperially entangled” ‘Mechs but we’re not committing to them right now. However, it’s a long time until we ship, so cross your fingers!

But... you guys listed the Shadowhawk and put it in the splash art for the page...?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    On the clan side, Mad Dog. That's really all you have to say, there. :D

Well, there is one other Clan chassis that looks to be a baller missile-boat: Stormcrow.

EDIT - trimmed down the quoted bit. Felt silly quoting an entire text block for one little sentence.

Yeah, but if you're running a Stormcrow missile boat, you should be running SRMs / SSRMs in it. :D

Only because of ArmagECM. My LurmCrow was one of my favorites, and most effective, back when I was working on that chassis.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    From what the KS page says apparently they aren't just sharing the 'art', they're also sharing the mech models lifted from MWO.

We’re excited by the great redesigns Piranha and Catalyst have done for some those “imperially entangled” ‘Mechs but we’re not committing to them right now. However, it’s a long time until we ship, so cross your fingers!

But... you guys listed the Shadowhawk and put it in the splash art for the page...?

The Shadowhawk and other Phoenix mechs were a different tangle than the Maurder, Warhammer, etc.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, I am still playing my cadet missions, but if I wanted to go for a missile boat / long range threat chassis, preferably IS, what mech would I look to?

Go with the Hunchback 4J.

Hunchbacks are inexpensive, have great quirks, and have a broad range of playstyles. (4J is LRM, 4P is Lasers, 4G is AC20, 4SP is SRMs, 4H is AC10, GridIron is Gauss)

Once you have 3 or more of them(4J, 4P, 4G, 4SP, 4H), then start moving towards heavies like the Jagrmech or Thunderbolt, or Lights like Raven / Firestarter.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The Shadowhawk and other Phoenix mechs were a different tangle than the Maurder, Warhammer, etc.

I feel like whatever undiscussed agreement Catalyst hammered out for the Macross/Robotech designs might not cover video games, at least not yet. For some reason the Macross 'Mechs are the only ones we've seen that aren't sharing models, and PGI has to know that putting the barely-altered original designs into the game would be an easy moneymaker. Harebrained's quote does suggest the possibility opening up in the future.
    Crying shame that they prioritize PvP over any Co-op. Absolutely amazing opportunity missed to play with friends as you drop on jobs together. Imagine taking your single player lance live, helping out friends in their campaigns. Apparently co-op is way harder to do than PvP though.

Turn based games have never clicked for me in co-op. In an FPS, one guy covers the door while the other hacks the computer, or you team up to pour bullets into the schmuck AI. In an RTS one player can fight a holding action while the other rolls up the flank. A feel good group effort. But in a turn-based game there's nothing stopping you from doing everything yourself and avoid the extra waiting. The best you can hope for is to capture the feel of shooting the breeze with friends in a RPG or tabletop session, and I guess having someone to say "Whoa" to when something cool happens. Which is fine, but I could easily see a stronger argument to be made for PvP.

• Options
    I just had a match on Alpine where an enemy spider ran away and hid for 15 minutes.

!#$%

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I just had a match on Alpine where an enemy spider ran away and hid for 15 minutes.

!#$%

Heh...I had one the other night on Crimson Strait where a Mist Lynx (who lost both arms) ran to the corner of the map, went into 3rd-person view (which removes the map), and shutdown wedged in a corner just before disconnecting.

Thankfully, people on our team knew about F3...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    This is interesting.
    Which ’Mechs will be in the game?
    BATTLETECH is in pre-production, so many decisions, like the final 'Mech roster, are not yet determined. But here are the 'Mechs we're currently planning to include:

LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

1. Literally every 'Mech here is already represented in MWO.

I imagine they're not announcing mechs that aren't in MWO so that they don't spoil any announcements by PGI about upcoming stuff.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

I'll admit, I don't get lights at all. I think I've got to upgrade my comp before I'll ever get much use out of them. Even at 60 fps my aim bounces around way too fast to hit anything very well. The best use I've gotten out of them is as Super-Light Mediums like the Urbanmech. Being one Streakcrow away from death is a huge handicap, so having something that keeps you outside the insane 360m (ie IS Large Pulse Laser) range is a pretty big plus.

It doesn't help that MWO really only allows them to use Energy weapons, Machine Guns and SRMs effectively. Even if you do try and use SRMs, ammo is in short supply. I'd say PGI still doesn't know what to do with Lights themselves. Now that ECM is available on Mediums and Heavies, Lights are rarer than ever, even in the Public queue.

If you are really into twitch gameplay and have a rig that can keep a minimum 60+fps they might be worth a shot, but I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. I think half the art to playing a light is understanding how Mediums, Heavies, and Assaults play and how to exploit their weaknesses.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The Battletech KS just broke $1million, so at least we'll be getting a campaign game mode.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The Battletech Kickstarter has cleared a million dollars in the first 24 hours.

Holy shiiiiii-

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Its pretty convenient that their Stage 3 goal is right around exactly what they raised on the Shadowrun: Hong Kong kickstarter. Its almost like they know what they are doing...

• Options
    Its pretty convenient that their Stage 3 goal is right around exactly what they raised on the Shadowrun: Hong Kong kickstarter. Its almost like they know what they are doing...

Its as if they made a game before and have a realistic idea for what it costs

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Its as if they made a game before and have a realistic idea for what it costs

Blasphemy. :lol:

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'm here to defend the honor of Light 'Mechs. Spoiler Alert: The gameplay circumstances in MWO do not treat them kindly, and so going by how they have to operate in-game, it paints a poor picture of their abilities.

I'll admit, I don't get lights at all. I think I've got to upgrade my comp before I'll ever get much use out of them. Even at 60 fps my aim bounces around way too fast to hit anything very well.

There's three ways you can address this without PC upgrades.
    1. Use a chassis like the RVN-3L, and be a back-of-the-pack sniper, provide ECM coverage for the biggies, and dissuade other lone light 'Mechs from preying on the biggies backsides. This role allows you engage with longer-duration weapons, and get the full burn out of them.
    2. Use as many short-duration weapons as you can mount. The closer to instant damage you can get, the easier it is to land measurable hits on targets while moving fast.
    3. TORSO LOCK. No, really. The impulse of the crosshair when it's locked to your torso is so, so much lower, little jags in it while moving don't throw off your aim so badly. Get used to locking and unlocking your arms on the fly. Also, turn down your mouse sensitivity. And practice the combination of running, turning, and torso twisting while focusing on a panel. It's not easy, but can be trained.

The best use I've gotten out of them is as Super-Light Mediums like the Urbanmech. Being one Streakcrow away from death is a huge handicap, so having something that keeps you outside the insane 360m (ie IS Large Pulse Laser) range is a pretty big plus.

That's certainly one way to play them. I'd argue that because of the case of the StreakCrow (which is almost as dangerous to other Medium 'Mechs as it is to Lights), you're actually better off in a fast Light chassis (none of this 100 kph crap, 130+ kph or bust) unless you're in an Urbie. Urbies are a weird special case. Still not entirely sure why, but they are way more durable than their statline should allow.

Also, the StreakCrow is a bad, scrub build. There, I said it. You're better off with a SplatCrow, or a LaserCrow, in an average fight. But not every pubbie knows this, so you still see them. Conversely, they're maybe the only thing that can currently challenge an Arctic Cheetah and kill it before it skitters off. So there's a non-zero reason to run one.

It doesn't help that MWO really only allows them to use Energy weapons, Machine Guns and SRMs effectively.

Eh. That's just the BattleTech construction rules at work. Non-MG ballistics are too heavy to be worth it. LRMs are either to heavy (IS), or bad given the prevalence of ECM, or both.

Lasers, Machine Guns, and SRMs are the workhorse weapons of Light 'Mechs. This won't change until we get some new weapon tech, and even then won't change dramatically.

Even if you do try and use SRMs, ammo is in short supply.

Outside of an Oxide or Huginn, I can't think of a single good Light 'Mech chassis that really has this problem.

I'd say PGI still doesn't know what to do with Lights themselves. Now that ECM is available on Mediums and Heavies, Lights are rarer than ever, even in the Public queue.

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER! There is one pub queue gameplay mode that fits a Light 'Mech's strengths (fast, small profile), and that's Conquest. Except it usually doesn't matter, as 99/100 Conquest games end on one team's total destruction regardless. Assault and Skirmish don't give Lights a role other than as early-game scouts, snipers, back-line counter-Light duty, or sneaky assassins. Of those four roles, one doesn't matter past the four minute mark, two of them are done better by heavier chassis, and the last one only occasionally makes a difference (catching that Whale out of position and away from its team, before it gets support).

The map designs don't help either. Most maps are too small for a Light 'Mech's speed to matter in the long run, and too sparse of terrain to allow them to leverage their small profile to its full advantage. The recent map revamps have helped quite a bit (New Forest Colony is actually super-favorable to Light 'Mechs). But since these maps are still played in modes that all break down into blob-on-blob firefights....welp.

On CW, I think since it's always a blob-on-blob fight over a static set of positions, Lights are even worse off there. I'll admit to not having enough CW experience to really make a call here, though. I hear Light rushes are still a thing, though a relatively minimized tactic.

If you are really into twitch gameplay and have a rig that can keep a minimum 60+fps they might be worth a shot, but I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. I think half the art to playing a light is understanding how Mediums, Heavies, and Assaults play and how to exploit their weaknesses.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Lights aren't for everyone. But they can be fun, and are worth trying.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Even if you do try and use SRMs, ammo is in short supply.

Outside of an Oxide or Huginn, I can't think of a single good Light 'Mech chassis that really has this problem.

I tried SRMs on my Jenners and Panthers and pretty much decided they are a waste of weight. The only reason I keep them on my Panther is so I have something to do if my arm gets blown off. I didn't even get my Jenners basic'd before I gave up on them. Maybe PGI will give them some love eventually.

I want to upgrade my rig and get a 144hz display before I really try a brawling light again.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I have to agree with Nips on his assessment of lights and want to add this in. Lights can also be vultures or hyenas. As in they stick around and let the others do the heavy work and come in to clean up the damaged mechs. Their biggest exploit as a hyena is to go for the heavy and assault weaknesses. Their weaknesses are their soft chewy backs. Especially since most of the "experts" run with little to no armor back there. I also find taking out arms then legs is good to do as a light. But a hyena only goes after those that are away from the pack, so flanking the team is another tactic that I tend to do regularly. One thing I also do is to watch for LRM trails. Usually that means there is a guy who is sitting way in the back trying to be cute, but often leaving himself away from the pack.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Lights wont be a threat until TESMP Cannon comes around.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    $1M cleared in the first day... I hope this means the $1.85M tier should be reached by the end of the campaign. What I need is the Mercenaries tier because to me Mechwarrior means Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I think they'll probably hit 2 mil by the end of the weekend.

• Options
    Light Autocannons might make lights more viable too.

• Options
    Imo I don't really think ammo is a huge problem on srm lights like the huginn, presuming your shots connect.

I think I usually average ~700 damage in my huginn on games where I survive long enough to exhaust all of my ammo.

At that point you yell at your team if they're planning to shoot at the enemy too or not? It almost doesn't matter if the light mech becomes deadweight after putting out hurt like that. IMO it has pulled its weight for the match already.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    As a brawling light, the best thing you can do is stick with teammates and go mainly after assaults. Put the enemy between you and them, make them show their back to someone.

Non brawling lights make great distractions. I'm sure everyone has at least one "we lost because the team was chasing a spider" story..

• Options
    Brawling Lights are a misnomer.

Youa re not a brawler in a light, you are a bastard that gets in close and stabs someone in the gut and runs away.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Brawling Lights are a misnomer.

Youa re not a brawler in a light, you are a bastard that gets in close and stabs someone in the gut and runs away.

And this is why I name my fast lights things like "Shiv" or "Shanker"...

• Options
    The huginn can sort of brawl with an individual due to srm screen shake disrupting return fire.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    As a brawling light, the best thing you can do is stick with teammates and go mainly after assaults. Put the enemy between you and them, make them show their back to someone.

Non brawling lights make great distractions. I'm sure everyone has at least one "we lost because the team was chasing a spider" story..

I never get chased because I am already face down in the dirt. My backstabs usually involve my intended victim doing a 180 no-scope MLG #DoTheDew one-shot.

• Options
    The huginn can sort of brawl with an individual due to srm screen shake disrupting return fire.

Yeah, and so can a balloon filled with needles.

One misstep and its pain and agony, however, and theres always a misstep.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    10 matches in, I have established a few things:

- I do not like Light mechs.
    - Mediums are fun.
    - Assaults and Heavies are too slow for me.
    - Missile weapons are for geese, energy and ballistics all the way.
    - None of that fancy jumpjet nonsense.
    - Brawling whoooo!

Recommend a mech/build for me?

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »

- Mediums are fun.
    - Brawling whoooo!

Clan laser-vomit medium: Stormcrow (or a Nova if you like to overheat yourself to death)
    IS laser-vomit medium: Blackjack-1X (either 8 medium lasers or 6 medium pulse + 2 medium)

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »

- Mediums are fun.
    - Brawling whoooo!

the scourging will bring this lost lamb back on the path of righteousness.

Repent now or pay for this heresy with flesh and blood.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Though, the Thunderbolt is not without its charms...