Options

Dumb Things You've Done Recently

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    :+1: guess what I had to get replaced this morning?

...your thumb?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Locked myself out of my apartment.

I hate push-button locks an awful lot.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    One Christmas, I bought my girlfriend a fancy bottle of whisky. I was walking along the street reading the label, when suddenly it jerks in my hand and hits me smack on the forehead.

I look up and realise that this happened because I had walked into a lamppost and the bottle had rebounded off the post into my face.

Luckily the bottle was unharmed.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    One Christmas, I bought my girlfriend a fancy bottle of whisky. I was walking along the street reading the label, when suddenly it jerks in my hand and hits me smack on the forehead.

I look up and realise that this happened because I had walked into a lamppost and the bottle had rebounded off the post into my face.

Luckily the bottle was unharmed.

"And then the bottle of whisky just jumped up and savagely attacked you? Blow into this please."

forumsig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The headache is supposed to come the morning after, not before you get home

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    About 20 years ago my sister and I were playing in the basement. For some reason, and I have no idea why, I took a broom stick and poked one of the small ground level windows. It shattered and one of the pieces managed to cut my sister right below the belly button. She still has the scar.

does she show it to your whenever you're suddenly alone at a family function and slowly draw her finger across her neck?

because if not she's wasting a golden opportunity

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    No, but one time, also in our youth, she got mad at me ( I was a pretty shitty big brother back then) and scratched my back really hard. I also still have the scars!

yeah but you can't show that off easily or give a thinly veiled death threat while you do it

sorry she's still ahead.
    I'd say watch your back BUT YOU CLEARLY HAVEN'T OLOL

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    So I've been having car and money trouble recently.

In Virginia, if you don't have insurance, you have to pay a $500 uninsured motorists fee. I didn't have insurance, coming off a stint of unemployment, and I failed to pay the fee, so my license was suspended. Which was just as well, because the brakes in my car were wobby and if I were to have gotten into an accident, that would have been bad for everyone. I started getting rides to work from my roommate or taking an Uber in when our schedules conflicted, and started saving money to get insurance and my brakes fixed. This took about five months.

I got insurance, and my license reinstated. $110+ for the initial insurance payment, and $700 to get my license reinstated. I didn't know at the time that your insurance policy was liable to be cancelled in 21 days if not in possession of a valid license, so I had to scrape money together to pay the DMV fee to get my license back in good standing, or else risk losing the $110+.

Finally got my license back in good standing, got insurance.

I had also been starting my car every 2 weeks just to make sure the battery was alright.

So, I go out one day to drive my car to the shop. Won't start. It's been broken into and the jack-wagons left all the doors ajar and the glovebox open, draining the battery. And they didn't steal anything! They didn't even take one of my sweet mixes!

The next day, I call a friend. He comes to jump it. Won't jump. We go to Advance Auto, check to see if my battery was still under warranty or if it could charge. They did in in-shop charge and told me it would die within four starts, and that it was three days out of warranty. Paid for a new battery, friend installs it.

Car starts, brakes are extra gummy, decide not to drive to the store.

That following Monday, I decide to drive my car to the shop. Car starts, clock, radio, and odometer won't come on. Car won't shift out of gear.

Alright. Fine. My roommate has AAA and has offered to tow it for me, which is actually covered under the plan. AAA shows up. My registration is 2 months out of date. Tow will cost normal rate of $100+. Decide to renew registration first.

That weekend, I wake up early to walk to the DMV. DMV is closed due to the UCI bike race.

Monday, renew registration. Get car towed. Shop looks at car. Brake lines failing, gear shift interlock module busted. Easy fix, need to order part. Should be ready Friday.

Take Friday off work, wait for call. Driver was late bringing part from dealership, will be ready Monday.

No ride to shop on Monday, they close at 5, I'm at work until 6.

Go Tuesday morning. Get car. Told will last through the winter. Drive to work for the first time in half a year.

Decide to stop at a WaWa on the way home to get remote batteries and dinner. Get back in car. Won't start. Raining buckets. Old man jumps car, tells me to let it run. I let it run, everything seems 4x4.

Get on highway, windshield wipers slow down, turn-signal begins acting erractically. Still raining buckets. Pull onto the next exit. Accelerator stops working. Car barely makes it off exit. Power steering cuts out. Turn onto the shoulder, wrestle the controls so I don't hit the guard rail. I'm on the shoulder, but behind a blind curve and a quarter mile from the next on-ramp, meaning cars are speeding past me, trying to merge and trying to exit at the same time. I'm too close to the road to open my door without it being take off, and my emergency lights aren't working. The entire thing dies. I throw a distress-shirt out my window and begin frantically making calls as cars speed past and honk at me, like I can move.

Due to the torrential downpour, the closest tow is going to be an hour out. I call my dad, he calls the locals, who show up and offer a tow at very high cost. Debate this. My roommate calls and says she can come get me, call AAA, and get the car towed that way. The cops leave. She gets off on the wrong exit, and sees a swarm of cops around a wrecked vehicle and has a mild panic attack because she thinks I've been hit. Calls me, I direct her to the right exit. Traffic has died down. I get out of my car, climb into hers, shaking. There's paint-scrapes on my side-view from cars coming too close.

Get car towed to shop.

Buy bottle of bourbon.

Get home at 10:00. Watch How to Get Away with Murder until 1:00.

Now at work.

This sucks.

The dumb thing I did was leave the book I'm reading in the back-seat, so now I have nothing to read on my lunch break.

*sigh*

Sounds like your alternator's fucked.

That's exactly what it was!

The shop felt incredibly bad that my car was in there after it had already been fixed, so I only paid for the part and they waived the labor.

That was nice of them.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

In Virginia, if you don't have insurance, you have to pay a $500 uninsured motorists fee. I didn't have insurance, coming off a stint of unemployment, and I failed to pay the fee, so my license was suspended. Which was just as well, because the brakes in my car were wobby and if I were to have gotten into an accident, that would have been bad for everyone. I started getting rides to work from my roommate or taking an Uber in when our schedules conflicted, and started saving money to get insurance and my brakes fixed. This took about five months.

I got insurance, and my license reinstated. $110+ for the initial insurance payment, and $700 to get my license reinstated. I didn't know at the time that your insurance policy was liable to be cancelled in 21 days if not in possession of a valid license, so I had to scrape money together to pay the DMV fee to get my license back in good standing, or else risk losing the $110+.

I had also been starting my car every 2 weeks just to make sure the battery was alright.

So, I go out one day to drive my car to the shop. Won't start. It's been broken into and the jack-wagons left all the doors ajar and the glovebox open, draining the battery. And they didn't steal anything! They didn't even take one of my sweet mixes!

The next day, I call a friend. He comes to jump it. Won't jump. We go to Advance Auto, check to see if my battery was still under warranty or if it could charge. They did in in-shop charge and told me it would die within four starts, and that it was three days out of warranty. Paid for a new battery, friend installs it.

That following Monday, I decide to drive my car to the shop. Car starts, clock, radio, and odometer won't come on. Car won't shift out of gear.

Alright. Fine. My roommate has AAA and has offered to tow it for me, which is actually covered under the plan. AAA shows up. My registration is 2 months out of date. Tow will cost normal rate of $100+. Decide to renew registration first.

That weekend, I wake up early to walk to the DMV. DMV is closed due to the UCI bike race.

Monday, renew registration. Get car towed. Shop looks at car. Brake lines failing, gear shift interlock module busted. Easy fix, need to order part. Should be ready Friday.

Take Friday off work, wait for call. Driver was late bringing part from dealership, will be ready Monday.

Go Tuesday morning. Get car. Told will last through the winter. Drive to work for the first time in half a year.

Decide to stop at a WaWa on the way home to get remote batteries and dinner. Get back in car. Won't start. Raining buckets. Old man jumps car, tells me to let it run. I let it run, everything seems 4x4.

Get on highway, windshield wipers slow down, turn-signal begins acting erractically. Still raining buckets. Pull onto the next exit. Accelerator stops working. Car barely makes it off exit. Power steering cuts out. Turn onto the shoulder, wrestle the controls so I don't hit the guard rail. I'm on the shoulder, but behind a blind curve and a quarter mile from the next on-ramp, meaning cars are speeding past me, trying to merge and trying to exit at the same time. I'm too close to the road to open my door without it being take off, and my emergency lights aren't working. The entire thing dies. I throw a distress-shirt out my window and begin frantically making calls as cars speed past and honk at me, like I can move.

Due to the torrential downpour, the closest tow is going to be an hour out. I call my dad, he calls the locals, who show up and offer a tow at very high cost. Debate this. My roommate calls and says she can come get me, call AAA, and get the car towed that way. The cops leave. She gets off on the wrong exit, and sees a swarm of cops around a wrecked vehicle and has a mild panic attack because she thinks I've been hit. Calls me, I direct her to the right exit. Traffic has died down. I get out of my car, climb into hers, shaking. There's paint-scrapes on my side-view from cars coming too close.

Get car towed to shop.

Buy bottle of bourbon.

Now at work.

This sucks.

The dumb thing I did was leave the book I'm reading in the back-seat, so now I have nothing to read on my lunch break.

*sigh*

The shop felt incredibly bad that my car was in there after it had already been fixed, so I only paid for the part and they waived the labor.

That was nice of them.

That's a shop worth revisiting next time there's work to be done.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So last week I was on vacation. all I did was clean the house watch movies and goof off.
    Last night I went back to work got told missed you from various people I work with but not the managers.
    But again I got that soul crashing bored at work again.
    I really have to find something else to do. it's dumb I still go back there and dumb I put up with it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah that happened when @Sheri's AC went on the fritz back in January. We took it in cause it was leaking freon, but they couldn't find the leak everytime we brought it in. So after the first time, they would basically fill up the freon for free, then tell her to bring it back when it ran out so they could try it again. it finally worked, and it was way cheaper than we expected. I think they didn't charge for labor since it took so long for them to figure out where it was.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Not recent.

I was at my father's apartment, probably 13 or 14, running down the stairs with my step-brother. On the last stair, I slipped and naturally put my right arm out to keep me from hitting anything. I'm told the way the plate glass door shattered around me was like "a waterfall". I went straight through. I tried to pretend that nothing had happened and casually walked down the street. My step-brother and I walked about 10 feet and I noticed my hand felt wet, so I simultaneously pulled my right arm up and looked down at my arm. Blood. My arm, from just below the elbow to all of my fingers, were covered in blood.

My step-brother helped me pull off my shirt and wrapped my forearm in my shirt. Then we walk-ran back to the apartment where my step-mother, who was just waking up, is confronted by her son (my step-brother) with blood on his face (I'm not sure how that happened, but it was mine. He was completely uninjured) and my, the asshole stepchild crying saying I cut my arm really bad. She removed the shirt and saw how badly I was cut, reapplied my shirt gathered up all the kids and took us to the closest emergency room.

I ended up slicing through my skin down to the bone without cutting anything major. Once at the ER, the doctor cleaned the wound, looking for glass and getting rid of the dirt (it was a dirty window), he told me to look down (into my gash) and flex my fingers. All my fingers worked and I could see the muscles expanding and contracting correctly. 10 stitches in my arm. 2 in my back, from glass which had fallen, cut through the shirt and made an X. I also had a small cut inside my ear but that healed in a few days.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I almost got shot in the head by a sniper once and I have the scar from it coming so close it nicked my ear

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I almost got shot in the head by a sniper once and I have the scar from it coming so close it nicked my ear

Holy shit dude, that's pretty nuts

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah but like, one time I took a bite of a pizza that had too-recently come out the oven, and the hot cheese/tomato stuck to the roof of my mouth and burned like a bastard, so, I know that feel.

No seriously that's crazy, and I'm glad you're okay.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I was a pretty dumb kid, once I was playing in a school/church backyard, and the Sunday School lady asked if I wanted to come down to the church basement and join the the other kids in some sort of March break activity. I should have gone to my mom and asked for permission, but nope, I dragged my little brother down.... Where we listened to Bible stories and did arts and crafts.

My mom was less than pleased when after searching frantically for us, I came home proudly with a macoroni covered paper.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Military? Or just like...walking around?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Not anywhere as crazy but I still have a very thin line from a saber cut running down the length of my arm.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Brainleech has a ton of stories like this from his time in battle. I'm pretty sure he's been shot more times than 50 cent? Weaver's another one with lots of scars from high velocity lead injections, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Were you trying to contain a Confederate ghost or something? Because that sounds cool.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Get car towed to shop.

Buy bottle of bourbon.

Now at work.

This sucks.

*sigh*

That was nice of them.

That's a shop worth revisiting next time there's work to be done.

I've been using the shop for 2 years; the couple that run it live down the block from the shop, they know you by name, know your car. I've run into them at the store before. They're phenomenal. Really, really busy most of the time, but I really wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure Brainleech has a ton of stories like this from his time in battle. I'm pretty sure he's been shot more times than 50 cent? Weaver's another one with lots of scars from high velocity lead injections, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I know it's like that active combat duty thing

But for some reason that one specifically just seems so insane to me

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Were you trying to contain a Confederate ghost or something? Because that sounds cool.

Fencing class. Sabers don't have those rubber tips, the end is just folded over. Kid hit my arm and the edge was just sharp enough to cut through my fencing jacket and into my arm. It was a pretty minor cut but because I was wearing all white it looked like he'd hit an artery.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Fencing class. Sabers don't have those rubber tips, the end is just folded over. Kid hit my arm and the edge was just sharp enough to cut through my fencing jacket and into my arm. It was a pretty minor cut but because I was wearing all white it looked like he'd hit an artery.

Maybe he did. Maybe you didn't survive and this is the afterlife.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

I never got hit, which still amazes me because between the taliban and the air force enough people sure were trying.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, and definitely old enough to know better, I noticed that a golf ball would rebound off the brick wall to the side of the garage very nicely. So together with my brother and two of the neighborhood kids, I decided to see if I could cause the garage wall and brick wall to keep reflecting the golf ball between them. In retrospect, I should have at least had my brother and the neighborhood kids clear the line of fire. I did not though. What I did was place the golf ball down, grab a golf club, and whalloped that thing as hard as I could.

The ball went supersonic and flashed right by my brother's head in the blink of an eye. We both kind of just blinked and slowly turned around since the ball had not returned as expected. There before our eyes was a nice golf ball-sized hole in the garage window. I have no idea what kind of glass it was, but it didn't crack or shatter like normal. It was the window and then a circular void.

Of course my parents had heard the sounds so it was discovered night-instantly.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    On my.. 16th? birthday, my mum/sister decided it would be fun to put some paper ribbons up over my ceiling fan. Then it got warm, so I decided it would be fun to turn the fan on with them up there. It was fine until they wrapped around the light fitting in the centre of the fan, which caused it to unscrew, which caused it to fall directly between me and a mate, managing to miss us completely somehow.

• Options

Maybe he did. Maybe you didn't survive and this is the afterlife.

Then honestly? The afterlife sucks.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I posted while angry in the Gun Violence thread.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Last night, I came home from work and reclined in an office chair in my bedroom.
    I then kicked my legs up on my bed, and I rested in this position for a bit of time. (I'm pretty dumb, don't do this)

As I got out of the chair to go prepare some food. I noticed my left leg had a charlie horse.
    And as I clutched my knee and shouted obscenities, I experienced a charlie horse in my right leg, and collapsed off the chair onto the floor.

Then I just tried to not move for about 15 minutes waiting for things to be less painfull, then awkwardly pulled myself up into a standing position.
    Walked to the closed bedroom door and felt extremely dizzy in this standing position.
    Losing motor control & falling is an interesting experience. There is a blur that envelops the vision outside in, your arms and legs turn to vapor, though sometimes you can will yourself to grip and cling onto something despite this.

Unfortunately, I had opened the door in this dizzyness and sorta fell facefirst into the wood, then across the doornob, and finally, onto the hallway hardwood.

Laid on the floor a bit longer that time, and I decided to make sure I wasn't diabetic. I have meters for when my mother visits.
    My sugar and blood pressure was aces, so it was just matter of extremely bad posture and standing up too quickly.

Wound up with stiff legs, and a scraped bumpy head, but I'm fine all the same.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I grew up with my grandparents, and my grandpa used to get charlie horses while he was sleeping pretty regularly

They were wildly painful for him and I'm eternally thankful I've never had one, and hope I never do! They seem fucking awful!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I've gotten them while swimming before (calves in both legs). Not painful, but alarming when you're in the surf and you can't really kick!

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Waking up from a charlie horse is pretty terrible.
    I mean, not to minimize folk who deal with loads of more terrible stuff.
    I guess it's not really that bad, all things considered.

I get weird ones when I swim. Feels like the bottom of my foot closes like a book or a hotdog bun, mid-kick.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You people need to replenish your electrolytes.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    You people need to replenish your electrolytes.

Gatorade Thirst Quencher!

For that deep down bodied thirst!

• Options
    Or beer.

• Options
    I have really low calcium, so probably milk?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Milk doesn't actually help your calcium it turns out.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    I grew up with my grandparents, and my grandpa used to get charlie horses while he was sleeping pretty regularly

They were wildly painful for him and I'm eternally thankful I've never had one, and hope I never do! They seem fucking awful!

They are profoundly annoying.

It's like stubbing your toe.

Hurts like a motherfucker and then you get up and stretch it and you're just kind of mad at yourself.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I used to get leg cramps while sleeping as well. To double the fun, I had an cat who loved sleeping against my lower legs. So even as I was thrashing about in pain from the leg cramps I tended to also have the pain of an angry cat latched onto my feet and kicking me back.