Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Old thread abandoned due to Hydra infiltration.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    I suspect they were trying to communicate:
    "Look, even with the combined force of these two people focusing their powers with full attention, they still can't even scratch the dude!"

Which doesn't make the scene particularly interesting or justify not doing something more dynamic, but I think that was what they were shooting for.

In regards to the guy;
    Isn't his power energy absorption? It seems like it should be pretty easy to show their abilities not doing anything to him.

Oh, maybe. I had no idea who that was.

He does absorb energy. They didn't show that at all. Just bad.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    "Look, even with the combined force of these two people focusing their powers with full attention, they still can't even scratch the dude!"

Which doesn't make the scene particularly interesting or justify not doing something more dynamic, but I think that was what they were shooting for.

It also allowed for:
    Daisy to show that she thinks on her feet. Yes, her first response to encountering a crazy killer at point blank range was to unload into him. But she very quickly realized that it wasn't working and destroyed the floor under him.

That scene:
    A, Reinforced the nature of what Skye and Lincoln can do. This is pretty important for new and casual viewers.
    B. Established that they can fully unload point blank into the new villain to no practical effect. This is pretty important for everyone to understand about the new villain.
    C. That Daisy is smart about using her powers tactically. She realized that what she was doing wasn't working and immediately adjusted her tactics.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    If only there was some way they could combine the use of their powers with martial arts strikes, using their punches and kicks to bend the power to their will.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The power to melt metal is pretty lame.

Got no pizzazz.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

It also just so happens that "shooting [energy] from their hand" is basically the power of both people.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Got no pizzazz.

I bet if you could melt metal, you could make a really interesting pizza, though.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If only there was some way they could combine the use of their powers with martial arts strikes, using their punches and kicks to bend the power to their will.

I see what you did there.

And yes please.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Got no pizzazz.

I don't know. It might be one of those powers that doesn't translate well to TV or something.

Melting metal could easily mess up any modern society and cause massive damage.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I bet they turn him into the inhuman version of magneto, decides to fight for inhuman rights through excessive force, can't really be stopped by normal authorities since he can melt their weapons.

• Options

I don't think that he's melting the metal so much as temporarily altering the properties of the metal.

If so, I wonder if he can affect metal in other ways - make it harder, change how conductive it is, or as others have suggested go full Magneto.

Whatever the case, his superhuman name should be Magnet Joe.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Or perhaps Metalocalypse.

• Options

Or perhaps
    Metalocalypse.

No, definitely Magnet Joe.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Or perhaps
    Metalocalypse.

No, definitely Magnet Joe.

Magkneadough

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Remember when Ward was boring?

It seems so long ago now.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Got no pizzazz.

Well of course not. They have metal in them.

Pizzaz-Pizza-Maker.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Fortunately, thanks to the Internet, we can relive those early days vicariously.
    The lead young dude is really, really boring. Clark Gregg is good, but I do not think this came together. I'll back to it if people tell me it gets better, but I was not encouraged.

Also, the actress playing Skye looks like if Aubrey Plaza went for sexy and it was distracting me.
    -White bread was probably betrayed by a previous team, hence the "poop with knives" on his stat sheet.
    -Hacker girl was involved in crimes. I do wonder if she actually did them or if it was a frame. Maybe like a stalker or something? You don't erase yourself from the system for no reason at all.
    -The "driver" of their "bus" probably either killed way too many people to where she refuses action or maybe she failed on a mission somehow.
    -Coulson is a robot clone from an alternate future where... etc
    -The British twins were transplanted from the Normandy.
    Thus far I like Coulson and Skye, the tech twins are kinda fun, and I'm intrigued by Gunn. (I also spent the first half of the show thinking Skye was played by Jewel Staite.) The production values are top notch and most of the dialogue landed. The few flaws with the show are things that will almost certainly be fixed as the show finds its footing over the next few episodes.
    Calling it now

Ward dies in the penultimate or last episode to set things up for the reveal of what SHIELD did to Coulson
    I basically don't buy Skye as portrayed in the pilot

She lives like a paranoid weirdo on the run from the government (literally living out of a van), but somehow has the fashion, hair, and make-up of a model, and has the behavior of the kind of person who posts on TV Tropes except when the script calls on her to be cool and confident

She's a bullshit character. Ward seems like a poor man's Ethan Hunt which is okay until they decided to shit all over his character in interacting with Skye. Fitz and Simmons are quirky saturday morning cartoon characters who feel like they stepped off the set of Bones and May... actually May was alright. I didn't have any complaints about Ming Na and she was the only one who seemed like an actual Agent of SHIELD.

The rest of the cast feel like Interns of SHIELD
    HunkyMcAgent guy actually was the bright spot of the cast. He's got decent range, good facial expressions when he's not doing the forced badass look, and was spot on for all of his comedic lines. Dude's gonna be great.

Fitzsimmons were pretty much backround noise, but I account it to the HILARIOUS amount of rehersal they probably had to do to even get that banter out of thier mouths. But they were not offensive.

Ming Na is MOTHERFUCKING MING NA.

Coulson and Hill were great, of course.

Which brings us all to Skye. I mean, initially, it seems like she was designed by a focus group to appeal to every woman in the universe, with some Whedon on top, which is just....odd.
    I just hope Chloe Bennet does not follow the PA forums.....

people obsessed with Whedon shows, on either side of the spectrum, try to latch onto one good thing/worst thing ever.

you done good Chloe. you done good.
    But: I'm really liking the show so far. I like the humour. I like the characters, except for the generic young agent dude. I think Skye has a lot of wonderful angst and character building potential. I think that the special effects are good for TV. I love Coulson. I'm not a fan of the show failing to understand how air pressure works on airplanes, but it followed the standard way Hollywood deals with it, so I'm grudgingly giving it a pass even as I feel brain cells dying. And really, the air pressure thing is my biggest complaint so far.

I think that it's quite good so far, worth watching, and if it can get over the new show hump I think it'll be excellent.

Good times, good times.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

To be fair, I really thought it was a car commercial at first.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I don't think that he's melting the metal so much as temporarily altering the properties of the metal.

If so, I wonder if he can affect metal in other ways - make it harder, change how conductive it is, or as others have suggested go full Magneto.

Haven't seen the episode yet, but if it's the guy from the intro...
    He's got extreme heat, not melting metal specifically, right?

There's a charred body in his apartment, which looks all burned up. People ain't made of metal!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

There's a charred body in his apartment, which looks all burned up. People ain't made of metal!
    That person was there when he transformed. They turned to stone like Trip and Coulson's Arm.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

That person was there when he transformed. They turned to stone like Trip and Coulson's Arm.

Nope, that was...
    The Crysalis from HIS transformation.

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Not quite:
    When an inhuman goes through terrigenesis they form a black crusty cocoon around themselves. What we saw there were the remnants of the cocoon.

The only thing that turned people to stone was the metal, which the show pointed out isn't a danger to anybody at least in regards to the fish oil capsules.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Also, I went back and watched the first bit, and everything that he melts is metal. If he had super heat then the wood, clothing and other objects he touched would have burst into flame, but it doesn't even smolder. Only metal melts.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I didn't see any evidence of
    heat at all. Just melty metal. I imagine he destabilizes their composition or something, not actually melts them with heat.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, fun SHIELD-relatedish story.

The college bookstore I work at is coming under new management (Luckly I'm still keeping my job) and I got to chatting with some of the people they brought in for the transition.

Turns out, one of them was from Chapel Hill, NC, and went to high school with Clark Gregg. Said he was the class clown, able to get everyone, including the teachers laughing and get away with it. Him being in your class, apparently, was the best thing.

And then he was talking about how, years later, he was googling What Lies Beneath and saw Gregg in the credits as screenwriter, and how he went "Surely, there has to be more than one Clark Gregg in the US..." Then he saw him in one of the TV bits he did before landing Agent Coulson and went "Nope, that's him, that's the guy who could get the teachers laughing and the class in tears."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, fun SHIELD-relatedish story.

The college bookstore I work at is coming under new management (Luckly I'm still keeping my job) and I got to chatting with some of the people they brought in for the transition.

Turns out, one of them was from Chapel Hill, NC, and went to high school with Clark Gregg. Said he was the class clown, able to get everyone, including the teachers laughing and get away with it. Him being in your class, apparently, was the best thing.

And then he was talking about how, years later, he was googling What Lies Beneath and saw Gregg in the credits as screenwriter, and how he went "Surely, there has to be more than one Clark Gregg in the US..." Then he saw him in one of the TV bits he did before landing Agent Coulson and went "Nope, that's him, that's the guy who could get the teachers laughing and the class in tears."

I still occasionally have trouble reconciling his role on The Shield with his on Agents of SHIELD.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    heat at all. Just melty metal. I imagine he destabilizes their composition or something, not actually melts them with heat.
    It seemed like once he touched metal, all metal within a certain range just sort of lost cohesion. He accidentally melted parts of the guns after touching the hood of the car.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    He did make that car explode.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Not really evidence of heat. If a car component under high pressure were to suddenly become liquid, it would probably explode.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Looked more like an electric explosion though, like the melting crossed some wires (or what was left of the wires) that shouldn't have been crossed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ahh, I was confused by the scorch marks on the oven
    Melting metal with no heat is way more interesting than straight up heat. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Skye's intro STILL doesn't work for me- they've totally jettisoned it at this point. Ward WAS boring too. So they've improved 2 characters. Hooray!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Skye's intro STILL doesn't work for me- they've totally jettisoned it at this point. Ward WAS boring too. So they've improved 2 characters. Hooray!

They were both basically eye candy when the series started.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

To be fair, Ward was just pretending to be boring eye candy. :hydra:

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    A few months ago my wife and I recommended Agents of SHIELD to another friend. She watched the first episode and said that it seemed OK, but the characters just seemed too "perfect." We agreed with her and told her that it gets better, and the characters' flaws definitely show up later. I don't think she's gone back to it yet, unfortunately.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Skye's intro STILL doesn't work for me- they've totally jettisoned it at this point. Ward WAS boring too. So they've improved all the characters. Hooray!

Fixed.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

To be fair, Ward was just pretending to be boring eye candy. :hydra:

That's actually an interesting case.

The actor didn't know until a few episodes ahead of time and the writers haven't said when they made the decision.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Probably a few days before that. Though he did get better before that bit, too.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I read the first time he was aware of it was during the academy visit, right before they filmed the scene about the memorial wall.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I can definitely see the show writers noticing that a character or actor just isn't clicking with audiences and trying to turn him into something more compatible with the actor's skill set.

That said, very few actors can start a new series and be totally engaging off the bat. Takes time to build that chemistry and internalize the guy you're playing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.