Options

EvE Online - Why I left, and why you should

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I didn't see his messages, but I think what Stormy is getting at is that if he warped to the station, and it said "Getting in range of docking parameter" and then he got bumped away, that's not a bug. Now if it said "You are being towed in to station" and then he just never docked, then some time later he got bumped away, that might be a bug.
    OP wrote:
    As I watched one monitor load the station for my one carrier, I saw my other screen sit there, and I thought, no biggie, its just taking its time, I'm docking, I've been sitting here for 3 minutes. I notice the pirate that warped into the system start heading toward my bugged character like a bat out of hell, so I clicked dock... again... Nothing, not a damn thing happened. Text remained on the screen, and I hear *docking permission requested* as if I was not in range. I checked my distance and i was right on top of the station. I again thought its no big deal I'll be inside any second. Unfortunately I was wrong. The pirate Knocked me (bumped me) and sent me about 3km from the station. It was at this point i started freaking out.

Why do people post in threads they don't read?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I didn't see his messages, but I think what Stormy is getting at is that if he warped to the station, and it said "Getting in range of docking parameter" and then he got bumped away, that's not a bug. Now if it said "You are being towed in to station" and then he just never docked, then some time later he got bumped away, that might be a bug.
    OP wrote:
    As I watched one monitor load the station for my one carrier, I saw my other screen sit there, and I thought, no biggie, its just taking its time, I'm docking, I've been sitting here for 3 minutes. I notice the pirate that warped into the system start heading toward my bugged character like a bat out of hell, so I clicked dock... again... Nothing, not a damn thing happened. Text remained on the screen, and I hear *docking permission requested* as if I was not in range. I checked my distance and i was right on top of the station. I again thought its no big deal I'll be inside any second. Unfortunately I was wrong. The pirate Knocked me (bumped me) and sent me about 3km from the station. It was at this point i started freaking out.

Why do people post in threads they don't read?

Why do people post in threads about games they don't know enough about?

Just because he is right on top of the station doesn't mean it will auto-dock him. It can still take time to get docking permission. I read the damn op, that still doesn't tell me shit. It also means the OP should know better as a duel carrier pilot, seriously. He should know damn good and well that his distance to the station doesn't necessarily mean he will dock instantly.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes, because that's totally what he said.

Oh wait, no it's not. He had been attempting to dock for over three minutes. Don't tell me I don't know enough about a game I played for three months straight when it comes to DOCKING. The game wouldn't allow him to dock and as a result a player had ample time to prey on a ship that should have been safely docked long before.

Again, Gnome, read.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't care, will still play.

Screamline on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Yes, because that's totally what he said.

Oh wait, no it's not. He had been attempting to dock for over three minutes. Don't tell me I don't know enough about a game I played for three months straight when it comes to DOCKING. The game wouldn't allow him to dock and as a result a player had ample time to prey on a ship that should have been safely docked long before.

Again, Gnome, read.

If you're out of the range of the station it'll still say docking permission given or whatever, but it doesn't mean it'll actually happen. Each station has its own wierd docking radius, and some are really small and hard to get into. If he came out of a cyno at the same time as the other carrier he could easily have been bumped a bit off to the side and was simply colliding with the edge of the station instead of getting to the dockable area.

alternately, you simply got bumped out of range by your other carrier, I've seen it happen a lot when cynoing lots of caps.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I think one of the op's main complaints is the whole bumping thing not being an exploit. Even if he had been close to docking, he feasibly should have been able to maneuver his carrier into range, but because of some bad game mechanics he can very easily be knocked away from the station. Since this was a battleship doing it, it's not entirely out of reality that with high speed, his carrier could be knocked around, but even a frigate could bump him enough to knock him out of warp alignment. I mean this argument has been hashed out countless times on eve-o, it's clear the dev's aren't going to do anything about it, if they even actually can that is, so plan ahead and don't cyno into hostile systems if you're unwilling to risk losing your stuff.

Petition it, then make a huge whiny post on eve-o, if enough pubs latch onto your sentiment, and I assure you they will, the dev's will eventually institute some sort of nerf. On the flip side, Carriers are hard enough to kill as it is, it's not entirely out of line to offer pirates some reasonable way to pop them.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    petition snake implants, that's the real problem here

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    On the flip side, Carriers are hard enough to kill as it is, it's not entirely out of line to offer pirates some reasonable way to pop them.

Not risking your carrier is part of the benefits of owning carriers.

That being said, I've been in some Alliances where people were so fucking scared of losing their carriers that they would dock them in a .4 and only use them as a glorified hauler.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have 3 guys in my corp that ALWAYS use their carriers offensively and have yet to lose them, taking down about 5 other carriers in the process. 0.0 Gate camp? Pfft. Carriers.

People who can't afford to lose things in EVE are people who can't afford to go into 0.0. It's part of the game and it's the only reason some people play: to find the joy in other peoples demise. It's also why they are hard core Republicans, hate WoW, drive big trucks and have gun permits.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keep your misinformed politics out of the game forums please. I bet there is a subforum somewhere here were you can barf up that stuff on either side of the aisle.

P.S. I guess that means that Democrats are whining pansies who can't defend themselves or their property.

EDIT: TYPOS

Bigity on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can we still make fun of lolbertarians please?

That out of the way, I will say that EvE is very polarizing--it's not a game you can sort of like. You either love it for the PvP, the metagame, the economy, or the feeling of worth to your stuff (and the feeling of loss when you blow up someone's stuff); or you hate it for the skill system, the money grind, and the utterly shit code (seriously, someone up there said the OP was a noob for playing with sound on. That doesn't make him a noob, that drives the point home of how fucking bad the client sucks).

In my experience, there aren't many people who hold the middle ground, and one side is usually unable to convince the other, save people who haven't chosen a side yet (i.e. people who haven't tried EVE yet). So I'm not really surprised this thread turned senseless and stupid so fast.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Petition it, then make a huge whiny post on eve-o, if enough pubs latch onto your sentiment, and I assure you they will, the dev's will eventually institute some sort of nerf. On the flip side, Carriers are hard enough to kill as it is, it's not entirely out of line to offer pirates some reasonable way to pop them.

I think what needs to be implemented here is, when your ship rams a ship much larger than you, it simply explodes as you plink against their hull. Or just massive debilitating damage results.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Isn't EVE getting a new engine pretty soon with the upcomming expansion?

As for the post, sorry about your loss, but you shouldn't put 10,000,000,000 of your eggs in one unguarded basket.

I think if you can't deal with the potential catastrophic losses, don't venture heavily into 0.0 space. Only risk what you can afford to loose, materially and emotionally. Imagine being one of the CEOs of a corp that had a Titan go boom. Those friggin things are probably worth, what, $10,000+ in real cash and labor?

Screw that.

If I want a Titan, I'll go play that Homeworld 2 mod, forget the thousands of man hours and God only knows how many materials and ISK it would take to build one of those White Elephants.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    widowson wrote: »

As for the post, sorry about your loss, but you shouldn't put 10,000,000,000 of your eggs in one unguarded basket.

I think if you can't deal with the potential catastrophic losses, don't venture heavily into 0.0 space. Only risk what you can afford to loose, materially and emotionally. Imagine being one of the CEOs of a corp that had a Titan go boom. Those friggin things are probably worth, what, $10,000+ in real cash and labor?

Screw that.

If I want a Titan, I'll go play that Homeworld 2 mod, forget the thousands of man hours and God only knows how many materials and ISK it would take to build one of those White Elephants.

None of the people that currently fly a Titan likely paid any real world cash for it. They built it on the backs of their corps hard work.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Screw that.

None of the people that currently fly a Titan likely paid any real world cash for it. They built it on the backs of their corps hard work.

I know you can't buy ISK outright, but if you consider how much ISK is worth, based on the GTC auctions, and consider the manhours involved in making a titan, I wouldn't be suprised if it were that high.

That would make an interesting analysis. Where would you find out exactly what goes into making one of these things?

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Screw that.

I know you can't buy ISK outright, but if you consider how much ISK is worth, based on the GTC auctions, and consider the manhours involved in making a titan, I wouldn't be suprised if it were that high.

That would make an interesting analysis. Where would you find out exactly what goes into making one of these things?

Someone did the analysis when GS killed Shrike's Titan, and I think your 10k figure is pretty close. It may be more than that when you add in man hours.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Screw that.

Someone did the analysis when GS killed Shrike's Titan, and I think your 10k figure is pretty close. It may be more than that when you add in man hours.

Hell. No. Screw. That.

I'll just n00b tackle for now, thanks...

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Screw that.

Hell. No. Screw. That.

I'll just n00b tackle for now, thanks...

Well, flying a Titan is not something you really PLAN to do, honestly. I mean, if you set that as a goal, you may be waiting a while. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Rodent bought his MS with timecards, like $6k worth for all the stuff (character too)

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can we stop bumping this shitty thread and go back to talking in the Eve thread? No need to continually bump the OP's retarded post any more than we have to.

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    /bump

Just because you like a game that someone else dislikes, or is fed up with, doesn't make them retarded.

Also, I like how half of the people who are, "STFU NOOB! DONT LIKE IT? GIT OUT!!!" lack basic reading comprehension skills.

The guy wasn't 3K away from the station. He was within 1K. But the game bugged out and wouldn't let him dock.

It wasn't an intended game mechanic that killed his carrier, it was a server issue. That server issue is what led to the rats being able to take down his carrier.

I also agree that it is pretty stupid for a dinky-by-comparison battleship to be able to ram a carrier, which is literally orders of magnitude more massive, so hard that the carrier is knocked over 3K away, and have there be no consequence to the battleship in question.

I imagine a parked sedan being hit by a bicyclist travelling at 80mph (140kph for you metric noobs). What happens? The car moves a little and has a REALLY bad dent, and perhaps some permanent damage to the frame. The bicycle, on the other hand, IS TURNED TO SCRAP, and the bicyclist is reduced to a 20-yard/meter smear on the asphalt.

But, no! you say. The car should be flung three parking spaces over, and the bicyclist should be perfectly fine, pausing just long enough to grin and flip off the driver of the sedan before riding off on his merry way.

Yeah, that makes total sense. :roll:

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    We didn't say it SHOULD be flung, we said it WOULD be and that it's not an exploit, maybe you should learn a little reading comprehension as well.

In any case, if it was really a bug and not the OP having his head up his ass, his carrier will be reimbursed. As he hasn't come back to post and update us yet, we don't know at this point.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I miss Eve. It looked like so much fun, but making money was like working a second job after working six days at twelve hours a day.

Maybe one day I will fire up my account, at least the combat account and try it all again. Maybe take my Retribution out for a spin and shoot someone.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    We didn't say it SHOULD be flung, we said it WOULD be and that it's not an exploit, maybe you should learn a little reading comprehension as well.

And I didn't say it WOULD NOT be flung, I said it SHOULD NOT be, and that it's not an exploit, it's just lame.
    maybe you should learn a little reading comprehension as well.

I'm rubber and you're glue?

delroland on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    Man, I miss Eve. It looked like so much fun, but making money was like working a second job after working six days at twelve hours a day.

Maybe one day I will fire up my account, at least the combat account and try it all again. Maybe take my Retribution out for a spin and shoot someone.

This is what I do occasionally. I by no means play EVE full time and I always get frustrated with all the obvious un-addressed game breaking issues.

The skill system is bad and un-rewarding to people who actually play the game.
    ISK is the reward to people who actually do play the game.
    More skill points gives you the ability to make more ISK.

It's one big, stupid cycle. I'm not suggesting flying a BS or using a Skiff the day you roll a new character, but I've been playing with an active acount for over 6 months and still cannot properly setup an extremely effective NPC ship nor have the contacts to do good missions or get good rewards (yay no social skills, in multiple ways).

Every time I quit EVE it's because I can't justify paying to wait around doing nothing. Every time I rejoin it's after a major expansion just to play around with the new features, become annoyed at the complete lack of a 'win condition', PvP, and the skill system, and quit again.

Oh EVE, how I want to love you... It's unfortunate you cater to rich kids in Iceland who sell GTCs and allow your developers and employees to corrupt the economy.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Haha, yeah good luck with that. I've lost a lot of shit due to being ontop of a gate frantically trying to jump, and all it gives me is "session changing" while the 30+ gatecamp hammers away for a few good seconds and I find myself waking up in station. Not even being bumped, and just sitting ontop of the gate.

And the petition response? "Nothing was amiss and we cannot determine through game logs any server issues, petition closed."

edit: Also, eve isn't FOR everyone. You have to find a niche you enjoy or you won't enjoy it whatsoever.

And for exactly the reason that some people hate it, I love that I just blew apart someones entire eve-life of shit they collected and just made them quit the game.

I am no interested IN THE LEAST in persistant gameworlds with NO consequences to death. WoW fans always argue the "repair" cost of epic items. Well guess what? My faction battleship was over a billion with all its gear, roughly $30, and if it blows up, it is GONE. There is no "repair". I couldn't care less about a pvp game with a persistant world where there's not even a single penalty for death, becuase a game that becomes "die/run back to my body" repeated ad nauseum for pvp is pointless. So what if you just wrecked someones shit, was there any risk to you at all?

tldr: No risk, no fun.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    CripTonic wrote: »

This is what I do occasionally. I by no means play EVE full time and I always get frustrated with all the obvious un-addressed game breaking issues.

The skill system is bad and un-rewarding to people who actually play the game.
    ISK is the reward to people who actually do play the game.
    More skill points gives you the ability to make more ISK.

It's one big, stupid cycle. I'm not suggesting flying a BS or using a Skiff the day you roll a new character, but I've been playing with an active acount for over 6 months and still cannot properly setup an extremely effective NPC ship nor have the contacts to do good missions or get good rewards (yay no social skills, in multiple ways).

Every time I quit EVE it's because I can't justify paying to wait around doing nothing. Every time I rejoin it's after a major expansion just to play around with the new features, become annoyed at the complete lack of a 'win condition', PvP, and the skill system, and quit again.

Oh EVE, how I want to love you... It's unfortunate you cater to rich kids in Iceland who sell GTCs and allow your developers and employees to corrupt the economy.

Not to sound mean, but you can be setup in a battleship to very effectively kill NPC's in about 30 days, you just need to know what to train. The problem with the skill system is that it overwhelms people. You can actually be flying some of the larger more powerful ships in the game very quickly, but people generally don't know what to train to get there.

Same with making money. There are some ways to speed the process up, but most new players don't know them, and due to the sand box nature of the game, it's tough to stumble upon them. I really wish CCP would put more emphasis on new players having some kind of mentor, because that would help immensely. Some kind of built in mentoring program where players put themselves in the pool as a mentor, and when a new player starts, they can get a mentor from the pool and that mentor can help them. There are so many things about the game I would have never figured out without the help of a veteran player.

edit: And yes, as leaf said, EVE is simply not for everyone.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Hey guys, there's this guy who has been afk in a carrier outside this station for like 3 minutes"

"lol, what a fag"

"POD TIME HOOOOO!!!!"

Junpei on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    delroland wrote: »
    /bump

Just because you like a game that someone else dislikes, or is fed up with, doesn't make them retarded.

No, what makes him retarded is his statement that we should all quit the game over his little bit of emo rage. I hear people also have bad experiences in life, maybe you should just follow this trend of thinking and kill yourself.

And yes, this entire thread is retarded. It's no different than if a Xbox player posted a thread about how someone cheated during a slayer match, so we should all just stop playing Halo 2. Fuck that, both yourself and the OP are morons.

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'm glad i quit EvE. it was so boring. i'm glad I didn't have anything to lose.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What made EVE so engaging to me was the aspect of loss and gain. To me, it was all about risk. No guts, no glory as they say. When you play WoW (or just about any other MMOG for that matter), you know that once you buy/find an item, it's yours, and it's secure. In EVE, it could be very temporary if you run into some bad luck. Yes, I realize that you lost 10 billion ISK due to a bug/exploit, and that sucks, but to me it enriches the experience. You worked hard to get it, and you know that you can lose it very easily. It encourages cut-throat gameplay.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is the best thread.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a legitimate reason his 1st carrier was docked and his second carrier was not?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yes, I explained it on page 2.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    eve sucks

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    you should join merch and fly nothing but rifters for the rest of your life in eve. make it your goal to lsoe a rifter a day. There is no higher glory than dieing in combat in a rifter. No kill more pure than having a rifter on the killmail.

barring that send isk and ships to Reverand Maynard (make sure you spell the name right and that the character is in Merch Industrial as there is another reverend mayanrd out there(he's a faggot)).

~the reverand~

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No, you clicked "Post Reply", and then your typeslexsia kicked in, producing an unintelligible string of ASCII characters that, miraculously, like a room of monkeys on typewriters, just happened to spell words.

Your post showed no understanding of the first point the OP made, but rather was an example of someone who wanted to go, "OMG I KAN TIPE WURDS!!", which is almost true. You just got a couple of first letters mixed up.

delroland on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Your post showed no understanding of buttes, but rather was an example of buttes who wanted to go, "buttes buttes buttes buttes buttes buttes", which is almost buttes. You just got a couple of buttes letters buttes up buttes abloo bloo bloo. FURTHERMORE,

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No, you clicked "Post Reply", and then your typeslexsia kicked in, producing an unintelligible string of ASCII characters that, miraculously, like a room of monkeys on typewriters, just happened to spell words.

Your post showed no understanding of the first point the OP made, but rather was an example of someone who wanted to go, "OMG I KAN TIPE WURDS!!", which is almost true. You just got a couple of first letters mixed up.

looks like there are a lot of cool words in this post, maybe I'll read them later~

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Which was the first point? I didn't really see one just him complaining about docking taking awhile.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cymoro wrote: »
    Your post showed no understanding of buttes, but rather was an example of buttes who wanted to go, "buttes buttes buttes buttes buttes buttes", which is almost buttes. You just got a couple of buttes letters buttes up buttes abloo bloo bloo. FURTHERMORE,

butte /byut/ – noun. an isolated hill or mountain rising abruptly above the surrounding land.

You're absolutely correct. StormyWaters knows next to nothing about geography. I formally apologize for making fun of his disablity.

Edit:
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Which was the first point? I didn't really see one just him complaining about docking taking awhile.

He wasn't complaining that docking, in general, taking too long. He WAS complaining that his ship would not dock at the station, even though he was close enough and inputted the proper command. Therefore, it was a game bug, and not the skill of some other player, that caused him to lose the carrier.

This is a legitimate complaint, and I can understand why the untimeliness by CCP in fixing the problem has pissed him off so much.

In other words, there are parts of the game which are broken, as in, not working as intended, and those parts screwed him over. And I laugh to myself when a common response is, "NUH UH! IT NOT BROKEN! YOU RETRADED! GTFO!" instead of, "You know, you're right, that is a bug. That really sucks. I hope CCP fixes it for you and you can get back into playing."

That is the problem with "GTFO" elitists: eventually, they alienate so many people, that in the end they just wind up playing with themselves.

delroland on
This discussion has been closed.