Options

[Fallout] This thread overrun by Caesar's Legion. Go find a new one.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    I dislike the junk hoarding

Taking everything not nailed down is a terrible habit they've now made into a game mechanic

While I was never one of those people who have 400 spoons in their storage locker, and always thought it was strange how people seemed to have this strange hoarding habit, using that junk to create the crazy modding system seems like a worthwhile trade-off.

For me it was teddy bears. My FO3 characters had mountains of teddy bears. I haven't seen a teddy bear in FO4 yet, but I remain hopeful!

I'm pretty sure one of the E3 videos showed the player using a teddy bear as ammo in the junk jet. So keep searching, maybe?

I found a teddy bear in a raider camp. They're there! :D

43547E8F15ED526AEC8B6FD95A1B5B7B8DC47123

i find teddy bears everywhere...

Shogun on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've found a Teddy Bear in an army outpost that was wearing an infantry helmet and had a cigar in its mouth. Bethesda employees really had a time of playing dress up with many of the bears in this game.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i found a teddybear stuffed full of stims in a toilet l0l

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Taking everything not nailed down is a terrible habit they've now made into a game mechanic

I think this new crafting system is a great upgrade. I don't have to hoard broomsticks for whatever, I just need things that break down into wood.

Or, as the case were, things that break down into adhesives, everything else is fairly common.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't know this, so incase other people also didn't know this, here:

you can fire your weapon from behind cover

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    So I'm playing a non-stealthy melee character, because I'm a masochist like that.

There seems to be a dearth of decent melee weapons early on, so I was lucky enough to stumble across a machete in one side building in Concord.

I soon realized after lumbering through a raider den, shrugging off small arms fire, and hacking random panicked people to death with said machete that I am now playing Fallout 4: Jason Voorhees Edition.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

It took me 10 hours to figure this out.

It took me 7 years to figure out the brackets thing in the minigame. Better late than never.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I've found at least two pairs of teddy bears having sex.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

i'm so glad i saw this before sinking any real time into the game omg

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    I've found at least two pairs of teddy bears having sex.

Well, they need to do it faster so I can get more teddy bears.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It's strange, the faces look much better in this game, but also more disturbing. I think they nailed the uncanny valley.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm headcanoning my way past the urgency of the main story vs. taking time exploring. Even at low int the main character isn't stupid.
    Being an army lawyer requires common sense, logical deduction, and critical thinking skills. If she rushes forward on the main quest she immediately runs into a group of crazy bandits attacking a town and in the process of helping take them out fights a giant death monster who kills her ten times nearly kills her even when she's wearing what is to her state-of-the-art (admittedly busted up, but still functional) military technology.

This ain't her world anymore, and all running off blindly after him will do is get her killed and seal her son's fate. She needs help, equipment, and knowledge of the world to succeed.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    So I am going to test this tonight when I get home... I know we 'debunked' the myth about storage only using whats needed in your junk and discarding the rest... the test was done with just one resource. I was under the assumption that if a piece of junk had steel and glass, for example, and you used the steel bits, the glass was discarded.

Did anyone test like this, or only with junk that gave steel?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I opened the box, put on the pip boy and wondered what the hell was wrong with me for buying this thing. The pip boy edition, not the game. ran out of space and didnt feel like shuffling or deleting stuff yet.

But that pip boy is sooo much better than the previous attempt.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    So I'm playing a non-stealthy melee character, because I'm a masochist like that.

There seems to be a dearth of decent melee weapons early on, so I was lucky enough to stumble across a machete in one side building in Concord.

I soon realized after lumbering through a raider den, shrugging off small arms fire, and hacking random panicked people to death with said machete that I am now playing Fallout 4: Jason Voorhees Edition.

Yeah they're pretty stingy with the melee stuff early. My progression went something like this for the first 10 hours:

Police baton -> Tire iron -> Machete -> Bladed Knuckles -> Baseball bat -> Got blacksmithing and modded the Baseball bat

Try out the Rooted perk if you get a chance, it is bananas.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So I am going to test this tonight when I get home... I know we 'debunked' the myth about storage only using whats needed in your junk and discarding the rest... the test was done with just one resource. I was under the assumption that if a piece of junk had steel and glass, for example, and you used the steel bits, the glass was discarded.

It gives you the other materials. It has been tested.
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm headcanoning my way past the urgency of the main story vs. taking time exploring. Even at low int the main character isn't stupid.
    Being an army lawyer requires common sense, logical deduction, and critical thinking skills. If she rushes forward on the main quest she immediately runs into a group of crazy bandits attacking a town and in the process of helping take them out fights a giant death monster who kills her ten times nearly kills her even when she's wearing what is to her state-of-the-art (admittedly busted up, but still functional) military technology.

This ain't her world anymore, and all running off blindly after him will do is get her killed and seal her son's fate. She needs help, equipment, and knowledge of the world to succeed.

Because I hate children my headcanon
    I have no child and when I start yelling about shaun I'm just having some weird war flashbacks. No big deal.

• Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    What kind of buffs and debuffs does alcohol give you? I've tried searching but it's nowhere on the net which is strange considering there is a perk for it.
    Edit: Also game downloaded but going away for conference two days. Would normally find that pretty good but now I hate my job. First I can't play for 2 days, then I can't play when I get home because girlfriend will crave attention.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    awesome, glad to hear that it was tested with items that break down into multiple materials. Now I just wish there was an autoscrap mod/button because honestly I don't care to hold onto 500 toy cars. Turn that shit into screws asap!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Is Dogmeat essential or can he die permanently?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Is Dogmeat essential or can he die permanently?
    All companions are essential.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

It gives you the other materials. It has been tested.
    Aistan wrote: »

Because I hate children my headcanon
    I have no child and when I start yelling about shaun I'm just having some weird war flashbacks. No big deal.

Shit, what war flashback isn't weird?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Echo wrote: »

I think this new crafting system is a great upgrade. I don't have to hoard broomsticks for whatever, I just need things that break down into wood.

Or, as the case were, things that break down into adhesives, everything else is fairly common.

For adhesives, I recommend y'all get some overalls and a straw hat and start farming corn, mutfruit and tatos. Also, horde purified water.

Then go check your cooking station.

Also, we should collect a list of tips and shit for the OP.

Bobble on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Can someone explain what it means when items on a corpse have a + next to them? I keep seeing like Pipe Pistol+, but then when I go into my inventory it just seems to be merged into the rest of my pipe pistols as like Pipe Pistol(3).

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Overall, it seems like the reaction is much more positive then the initial launch of Fallout 3.

I still see a number of dissenting opinions, but at least the game seems playable for a vast majority of people, and the improved gunplay is doing a lot to make the basic gameplay loop more enjoyable.

I'm still lukewarm on the game, but all of the flaws I've seen are things I can overlook. I'm certainly still playing, it just hasn't quite clicked with me yet.

Let's be clear, Fallout fans are not always the most reserved with their opinions. Let's wait a month and see where things stand.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Oh yeah oh yeah, an important question I have.

I've already read about the pre-war money thing, how it's good to sell but is considered junk, so you might want to save it instead.

Past games have always had random items suddenly gaining importance, and then you slap your forehead for ignoring all those items you saw before that you should've been saving. Walter in Megaton wants scrap metal. The Brotherhood librarian wants unburned pre-war books. The ghoul making Ultrajet wants Sugar Bombs, that sort of thing.

Has anyone encountered anything like that in this game?

Like you scrap all your brooms for the whole game and then you find this lady who thinks she is a witch and will give you tons of caps and XP for any brooms you bring her.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    timed food buffs are real world time, not in game time

ive had radstag carry bonus on for multiple in game days, which makes it much less worthless

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Can someone explain what it means when items on a corpse have a + next to them? I keep seeing like Pipe Pistol+, but then when I go into my inventory it just seems to be merged into the rest of my pipe pistols as like Pipe Pistol(3).

It means the game considers that item is an upgrade over what you currently have equipped.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Just a personal digression / review.

Most stuff in the spoiler below will be negative, and it will contain some plot spoilers. I'm aware that I'm in the 10% or whatever category of people who are not having fun with the game, and therefore the fault is likely with my expectations. Read at your own risk, etc, etc:
    I feel a very strong dissonance between the settlement building mechanics and primary plot of the story. Yes, as a player, building these bases is an enjoyable project... but what the Hell is my character doing sitting around and building these bases when her own Goddamn child, which she swore to her murdered husband she was going to rend heaven & Earth to find, is still MIA?

"Oh, it's fine, baby can wait. I'll get around to trying to find him, but first I've got to teach these folks how to set up a farm,"

...And why is my lawyer lady even setting up a fucking farm? Does she know how to do agriculture? Because it's not as easy as just growing some fucking house plants, I promise.

I would even balk a bit at doing sidequests given the urgency of the premise, but could cut said sidequests some slack. This, though, is an immersion dealbreaker for me. I went from fully invested in the plot to couldn't-give-a-rat's-ass-cuz-I-don't-believe-it in just a few hours.

And it's doubly shameful given the amount of effort that the primary VA's put in (...some of the efforts by certain other characters felt more phoned-in, but whatever, it was still great work overall).

To contrast this with New Vegas: you can make an immediate bee-line for Benny in NV, tell everything else to fuck off, settle the score however you like - and then play around in the Mojave, doing whatever.

I don't see a compelling reason not to offer the same choice to the player so they can avoid the dissonance if it bother them.

So, yeah. I certainly see why people like it, but I don't, and I'm sad that this is where the franchise is going to go. I wonder how long it'll be before a multiplayer component is added, becomes dominant, and people more or less entire forget about what the games used to be about. :|

Thanks for the review. The part I bolded in your spoilers is exactly why I don't really like Witcher 3. The main story is a race against the Four Saurons of the Apocalypse to come to the aid of a beloved family member, but I'm over here playing cards and picking flowers. Totally immersion breaking for me. And yes, I know I don't have to do the side quests, but then that ignores lots of content, and bypasses opportunities for leveling up and getting better gear to be able to better handle the later-game stuff.

For me to really enjoy them and see the game through to the end and take on side quests, open world games need stories that don't break when you spend tons of time on side quests and mini games. GTAV did this pretty well, as did Dragon Age: Inquisition.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

Yeah they're pretty stingy with the melee stuff early. My progression went something like this for the first 10 hours:

Police baton -> Tire iron -> Machete -> Bladed Knuckles -> Baseball bat -> Got blacksmithing and modded the Baseball bat

Try out the Rooted perk if you get a chance, it is bananas.

All I can think is that your character is at a forge attempting to temper a wooden baseball bat.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    timed food buffs are real world time, not in game time

ive had radstag carry bonus on for multiple in game days, which makes it much less worthless

I was wondering about this one.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Man I don't even care if Dogmeat working with Lone Wanderer is a glitch, I'm gonna milk that shit as long as I can.

Just a man and his dog, bringing justice to the wasteland.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Reeeaaally sick of getting dragged into conversation with NPCs just because they're standing too close to the goddamn crafting benches.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Got to Concord (Very Hard difficulty):
    I was low on mingun ammo when the scripted Deathclaw shows up. Running out of ammo, I popped Buffout and Psycho to finish it off with a combat knife. The fight ended with my knife wielding power armored character helmetless standing victorious over my fallen enemy like a Warhammer 40K Space Marine...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    The only mod I really want at the moment is one that removes the "cha-ching" sound every time you gain exp.

I mean it's fine for quests and etc but in combat when you rapidly kill weaker enemies just hearing a cash register going bonkers is not great.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Oh yeah oh yeah, an important question I have.

I've already read about the pre-war money thing, how it's good to sell but is considered junk, so you might want to save it instead.

Past games have always had random items suddenly gaining importance, and then you slap your forehead for ignoring all those items you saw before that you should've been saving. Walter in Megaton wants scrap metal. The Brotherhood librarian wants unburned pre-war books. The ghoul making Ultrajet wants Sugar Bombs, that sort of thing.

Has anyone encountered anything like that in this game?

Like you scrap all your brooms for the whole game and then you find this lady who thinks she is a witch and will give you tons of caps and XP for any brooms you bring her.

I ran into one of those NPCs last night. He wanted mutfruit, but he only gave 1 cap each for them, so I immediately went "feh" and no longer cared about helping him.
    Supervisor Brown at Graygarden

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So I might start delving into modding to see if I can add a metagame to the Settlement aspect of this game. I have some interesting ideas, no idea where to start. Do Bethesda games usually release a set of mod tools, or is it up to the community?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So I might start delving into modding to see if I can add a metagame to the Settlement aspect of this game. I have some interesting ideas, no idea where to start. Do Bethesda games usually release a set of mod tools, or is it up to the community?
    They release mod tools for the community.

Might take a few months though. Scheduled for 2016.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I don't have this game yet, Amazon says I might get it the 19th. I'm fine with that, I didn't get 1 day shipping or anything. I don't need stuff day one.

One of the things I always enjoyed in 3 and NV were the unexpected little bonus perks from doing random quests, stuff like Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide and Ant Sight/Ant Might from Those! Stuff relevant to the quest you did, not super OP but just nice additions above regular leveling and such. Does there seem to be anything like that in this game?

Yes. There are both bobbleheads and magazines that give perks that are otherwise unattainable. They are always collectibles in the environment, but I'd be shocked if there arent ones you can only get by finishing a particular quest.

I've been given a magazine as a quest reward, but I've not received new perks as a reward.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    The only mod I really want at the moment is one that removes the "cha-ching" sound every time you gain exp.

I mean it's fine for quests and etc but in combat when you rapidly kill weaker enemies just hearing a cash register going bonkers is not great.

Disagree.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I don't have this game yet, Amazon says I might get it the 19th. I'm fine with that, I didn't get 1 day shipping or anything. I don't need stuff day one.

One of the things I always enjoyed in 3 and NV were the unexpected little bonus perks from doing random quests, stuff like Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide and Ant Sight/Ant Might from Those! Stuff relevant to the quest you did, not super OP but just nice additions above regular leveling and such. Does there seem to be anything like that in this game?

Yes. There are both bobbleheads and magazines that give perks that are otherwise unattainable. They are always collectibles in the environment, but I'd be shocked if there arent ones you can only get by finishing a particular quest.

I've been given a magazine as a quest reward, but I've not received new perks as a reward.

I know that magazines have a ton of value in the game for the perks but I like the mental image of doing some arduous task for someone and they chuck an old National Geographic at your face.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.