Options

November 13th terror attacks in [Paris]

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm sure they'd SAY that was part of their reasoning, but I don't buy that it's the primary motivator.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    jesus fucking christ. I can't handle this anymore tonight.

I will just cry myself to sleep now and hope all of y'all and your loved ones are ok.

FUCK

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Going to be a lot more. They assaulted the concert 7 minutes ago
    Wait, who are the "they" in that sentence? I had hoped you meant the police?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    These two are keeping up pretty well for those that want the info. Caution: occasional tweets with pictures from the scene appear.

https://www.reddit.com/live/vwwnkuplwr9y

https://www.reddit.com/live/vwwmdb26t78v

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

What in the everliving shit. I almost hoped for a second those people would have demands. Of course this is what happens. I am in total despair right now.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    McKid wrote: »
    The hostage killing in the Bataclan theater has only been reported by CNN (so far ?), and by no French media outlet that I can find. Let's just hope that it isn't actually happening

It is CNN after all, so let's hope it is just more of their incompetence.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    The hostage killing in the Bataclan theater has only been reported by CNN (so far ?), and by no French media outlet that I can find. Let's just hope that it isn't actually happening

MSNBC is reporting it as well.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    silence1186 on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    They're saying more explosions. The whole thing is fucking terrifying and knowing that they might be doing a second wave of bombings for first responders or something...

God...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Isis taking credit

If that's accurate we're getting involved in that war in a much larger way.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

MSNBC is reporting it as well.

When French media will report it instead of only American media I'll believe it, for now I keep hoping it's not true.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    This will only serve to strengthen the French resolve in attacking isis, by a huge amount. The French may be many things and have been called worse, but they are not cowards.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Isis taking credit

Of course they are! To which I say:

Fuck you, prove it.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There are reports that this may be in retaliation for the US drone strike on Mohammed "Jihadi John" Emwazi.

If that is the case, the ramifications are utterly chilling.

this whole seems way too planned out to be such a quick reaction, doesn't it?

Hence the chilling ramifications part. If it is such a reaction, that draws one of two conclusions, neither good:

1. An attack has been in the works, but had its timetable pushed forward in response, or tied to the attack as justification.

That, by the way, is the better of the two. Because the other is

2. Recruiting by these groups in Europe is on a scale and sophistication above what we have seen before, if a response of this magnitude can be done on that timeframe.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Isis taking credit

Yeah... There will be no more limited attacks or Covert Ops soon, I'm afraid.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    They're saying more explosions. The whole thing is fucking terrifying and knowing that they might be doing a second wave of bombings for first responders or something...

God...

I don't even want to think about that.

And now I can't think about much else.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Obama's response was a good one, and I'm glad he spoke so strongly about our long, close relationship with France

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Isis taking credit

Not just us. I imagine a good chunk of Europe will want to get involved to some degree.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Jesus, I can barely keep up with what's happening. What are we looking at, three locations? Stade de France, Bataclan and the restaurant?

Okay reports coming in of explosions and gunshots at the Bataclan. That's where the hostages are, isn't it?

• Options
    Isis taking credit

I'm worried there will only be glass left when we're done with the Middle East. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes people do emotional but dumb things

• Options
    From The Guardian:

These are some of the embassy numbers in Paris for people who may have concerns about friends or relatives.

British Embassy: +33 1 44 51 31 00

US embassy Phone: +33 1 43 12 22 22

Irish embassy Phone:+33 1 44 17 67 00

• Options
    Parisian Taxi Drivers have turned off their meters and are offering free rides anywhere people need to go.

Thanks for reminding us that Humanity doesn't always suck, guys.

• Options
    There are reports that this may be in retaliation for the US drone strike on Mohammed "Jihadi John" Emwazi.

If that is the case, the ramifications are utterly chilling.

this whole seems way too planned out to be such a quick reaction, doesn't it?

Hence the chilling ramifications part. If it is such a reaction, that draws one of two conclusions, neither good:

1. An attack has been in the works, but had its timetable pushed forward in response, or tied to the attack as justification.

That, by the way, is the better of the two. Because the other is

2. Recruiting by these groups in Europe is on a scale and sophistication above what we have seen before, if a response of this magnitude can be done on that timeframe.

Honestly it isn't even that much planning. Get a few dozens of guys with bombs and guns, select a soft target and a time public attention is there, and wreak chaos. It's not like civilians are extremely guarded in Europe, even after all the terror before.

The European football cup is in France next year, btw

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Parisian Taxi Drivers have turned off their meters and are offering free rides anywhere people need to go.

Thanks for reminding us that Humanity doesn't always suck, guys.

French people living nearby apparently also opening their doors to people with nowhere to go. Community spirit in action. Thank you, on behalf of humanity.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I wonder if France's reaction will be to give everyone in Syria a month or so to clear out.

• Options
    This will only serve to strengthen the French resolve in attacking isis, by a huge amount. The French may be many things and have been called worse, but they are not cowards.

Kipling put it best:
    Their business is war, and they do their business.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Isis taking credit

Not just us. I imagine a good chunk of Europe will want to get involved to some degree.

Which will likely start with closing all borders, multilaterally.

It's about to get very bleak in the IS regions, I think.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

God...

Additional explosions are likely the police and/or special forces assaulting the building.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Reports of the explosions at the Bataclan and gunfire. And then a gag order put on by the french police relating to the Bataclan. Not good.

• Options
    The police have asked reporters not to mention what's happening at the Bataclan. Sounds like they're storming the place. Hope they can save lives there.

Paris embassy numbers:

British: +33144513100 Irish: +33144176700 US: +33143122222 Australia: +33140593300 Canada: +33144432900

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    German news is now talking of seven different attacks and that the police might be assaulting the concert hall right now.

• Options
    Reuters says witnesses have told it of five explosions heard near the Bataclan, while shots there were heard live on television.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Isis taking credit

Which will likely start with closing all borders, multilaterally.

It's about to get very bleak in the IS regions, I think.

ISIS has been looking for their grand apocalyptic battle with the West.

Now, they may just get it.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Reports of the explosions at the Bataclan and gunfire. And then a gag order put on by the french police relating to the Bataclan. Not good.

Or good? Could be their assault starting and not wanting the guys inside getting Intel from the media.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    A pinprick of bright light in the dark:

Taxi drivers have organized, turned off their meters and are helping to evacuate people / get them home.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    German news is now talking of seven different attacks and that the police might be assaulting the concert hall right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, felt like 30 minutes ago it was just a single shooting incident, now I turned on the news and its a series of terrorist attacks and bombings.

My god, this is terrible.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Police have stormed the Bataclan

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Seven locations? Simultaneously?

What kind of man power would that take?

• Options

Kipling put it best:
    Their business is war, and they do their business.

France Military spending is one of the highest in Europe and they are a nuclear power with at least 300 nukes. They are absolutely not a joke military wise

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg