Options

Stephen [Chat]iverse

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    spool32 wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    @spool32 like, I'd be okay with revoking citizenship as a punishment for whatever

if, y'know, you try that person first

cause you can't revoke someone's citizenship unless they're a citizen, and citizens are supposed to be guaranteed a trial!

I'd like to see that as well, but once they're back here, we wouldn't be able to get 'em out again. An interesting problem.

In my passport it says the following:
    Under certain circumstances, you may lose your US Citizenship by performing, voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish US Citizenship, any of the following acts:
    • being naturalized in a foreign state;
    • taking an oath or making a declaration to a foreign state;
    • serving in the armed forces of a foreign state;
    • accepting employment with a foreign government; or
    • formally renouncing US Citizenship before a US Consular Officer overseas.

There are some wrinkles here, such as ISIS not being a foreign state (i.e. we don't recognize them) and the "with the intention to relinquish" language. It seems like holding citizenship somewhere else isn't a requirement though, so I feel like we could expand this to cover serving in armed paramilitary groups or professing membership in a terrorist group. This doesn't seem to require a trial, though I can't imagine the Executive arguing against some judicial review of citizenship revocation decisions.

Likewise I think we could expand the "material aid and support" criminal language to also revoke citizenship but that would obviously require a trial as it's a criminal charge.

I wonder if SummaryJudgment or DoctorArch or "So It Goes" has any knowledge of previous cases where we've revoked citizenship from a person who does not hold dual passports?

I mean I think they do this already don't they?

"We killed some enemy combatants"
    "Uh one of those guys was a citizen"
    "Er... no we revoked it!"

but yeah I don't really agree that the US should have the power to revoke your citizenship without trial, and you shouldn't be able to implicitly renounce it; you'd have to do a proper official renunciation with the US government

Honestly it's pretty scary power for the government to have!

Like, losing your citizenship is one of the top-level punishments! I'd put it right between Life in Prison and Death.
    That not something that should be handed out without a trial!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    hmm i found a new band i am enjoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-36lCKovBg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    MrMister wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I teeter back and forth on "everything is meaningless"

This teetering is primarily based on what I feel the definition of "meaningless" is, on a given day

what if, instead, everything is meaningful

Exactly?

To be clear, sometimes I'm like "there is no objective meaning, so things are meaningless and don't really matter"

Other times I'm like "there is no objective meaning, so ultimately everything that happens is meaningful by virtue of it happening"

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

I do not understand what someone would do with that many retrievers.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I really like the simple color schemes Steven Universe characters use.

Makes my jerb fanarting much easier.

Jerbfart.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

Guessing they're a breeder, maybe?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

retrieve things

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

This teetering is primarily based on what I feel the definition of "meaningless" is, on a given day

Exactly?

To be clear, sometimes I'm like "there is no objective meaning, so things are meaningless and don't really matter"

Other times I'm like "there is no objective meaning, so ultimately everything that happens is meaningful by virtue of it happening"

what if, instead, there is objective meaning and everything is objectively meaningful?

:bzz:

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    that was one of the nicest gigs i've ever done

not being paid for it is frustrating though

it is very annoying watching someone get drunk and die on their arse for 20 mins and get paid, while I killed it for 10 mins for nothing

stupid hierarchy

how did the US trip go?

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

retrieve things

golden things, maybe?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Let them out it looks like.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Why would we consider that, spool?. Wouldn't it violate the universal declaration of human rights?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Exactly?

what if, instead, there is objective meaning and everything is objectively meaningful?

:bzz:

Seems unlikely

You are smart and well practiced, if anyone could convince me that something exists beyond that which physically exists, it is you

But that might be a tall order :P

(Or involve questionable definitions.)

(Really, if it didn't, would it even really be philosophy? >.>)

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

it is very annoying watching someone get drunk and die on their arse for 20 mins and get paid, while I killed it for 10 mins for nothing

stupid hierarchy

abolish the comedy wage system

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 like, I'd be okay with revoking citizenship as a punishment for whatever

cause you can't revoke someone's citizenship unless they're a citizen, and citizens are supposed to be guaranteed a trial!

I'd like to see that as well, but once they're back here, we wouldn't be able to get 'em out again. An interesting problem.

Under certain circumstances, you may lose your US Citizenship by performing, voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish US Citizenship, any of the following acts:

There are some wrinkles here, such as ISIS not being a foreign state (i.e. we don't recognize them) and the "with the intention to relinquish" language. It seems like holding citizenship somewhere else isn't a requirement though, so I feel like we could expand this to cover serving in armed paramilitary groups or professing membership in a terrorist group. This doesn't seem to require a trial, though I can't imagine the Executive arguing against some judicial review of citizenship revocation decisions.

Likewise I think we could expand the "material aid and support" criminal language to also revoke citizenship but that would obviously require a trial as it's a criminal charge.

I wonder if SummaryJudgment or DoctorArch or "So It Goes" has any knowledge of previous cases where we've revoked citizenship from a person who does not hold dual passports?

but yeah I don't really agree that the US should have the power to revoke your citizenship without trial, and you shouldn't be able to implicitly renounce it; you'd have to do a proper official renunciation with the US government

Like, losing your citizenship is one of the top-level punishments! I'd put it right between Life in Prison and Death.

It's right there on the passport though. No trial, no nothing. You serve in a foreign army with the intent to relinquish, and it can be removed.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Let them out it looks like.

I'm like, I think there's even more behind those ones. 1 maybe 2 more.

6-8 adorable doggies is excessive.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

stupid hierarchy

how did the US trip go?

really cool. Got to perform at a big punk festival with some amazing professionals, hit up some shitty open mics and even snagged myself a spot at the Improv

already planning on being Stateside again next year

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

It's right there on the passport though. No trial, no nothing. You serve in a foreign army with the intent to relinquish, and it can be removed.

Why would they have that intent?

sig.gif
  • Options

Problem is with the terrorism thing there's a sliding scale of what an army is and what being part of it is.

• Options
    tav i am perhaps planning a trip to ireland next march with some friends

we may be trying to go to the grimes show

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Why would we consider that, spool?. Wouldn't it violate the universal declaration of human rights?

I'm not entirely bothered by that. The UDHR doesn't even include a right to self defense iirc.

Actually I'm not entirely positive on that and I'd appreciate a fact check.

But we should consider it as a deterrent to citizens leaving the country, training in terrorist acts, then returning to kill their fellows.

• Options

stupid hierarchy

how did the US trip go?

really cool. Got to perform at a big punk festival with some amazing professionals, hit up some shitty open mics and even snagged myself a spot at the Improv

come to ny!

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Games have given me a lot of feels this year.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

stupid hierarchy

abolish the comedy wage system

nah, i'm starting to break into paid gigs (i had my first one yesterday)

i just wish it was done more off merit than longevity

because i fucking rocked it tonight

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    tav i am perhaps planning a trip to ireland next march with some friends

we may be trying to go to the grimes show

i already have tix

make sure to get standing tix cus the venue has the worst seating ever

honestly you'd be better off not going than sitting at that venue

• Options
    Ignoring international law when it suits us is preposterous. We wrote much of it!. Certainly we would need a pressing reason to abandon a commitment like that.

Would you have the same attitude toward violating a bilateral treaty we signed?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Best Steven Universe clip.

http://youtu.be/fbXLY74KirQ

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options

stupid hierarchy

how did the US trip go?

come to ny!

I don't have any comedic hookups in NY

whereas I can do an actual festival and get paid and get to hang with cool professionals if I go to Colorado or Atlanta

• Options

Hey, I'm not denying that the US does it.

Or claims to have the authority to do so.

But IMO it's a 6th amendment violation.

It's also fucked because, say they pull your citizenship improperly. They get you confused with someone else, or have bad information about you.
    Good luck getting your citizenship back now that you have no right to sue!

• Options
    This seems like such a departure from your usual heavy respect for process and rules!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

This isn't Stronger Than You? Bah I say!

But I am reticent to share that one with new folks. Kinda spoilery.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    best steven universe clip

• Options

i will fight you.

• Options
    This seems like such a departure from your usual heavy respect for process and rules!

Not to mention some distrust of the government?

The ability to revoke citizenship is second only to the ability to ignore whatever laws ever whenever in terms of increasing the destructive power of a malicious government

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Who said something like, "Man, as easily wounded as she is hard to kill, endures, for but a moment, the massive onslaught of the universe"?

• Options

i will fight you.

I doubt it

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

http://youtu.be/fbXLY74KirQ

does he whine like this the entire show

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    also does he take off his sandals

can't deal with the sandals

C8Ft8GE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.