As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] This thread overrun by Caesar's Legion. Go find a new one.

1979899100101103»

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    re: goofiness and seriousness. the ideal middle ground is terry pratchett - satire implicit in the structure and setting, but characters behaving like actual human beings. they are having a go at it, but they veer too much between po faced and stupid to manage the actual verity part

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    or if like the dresser is in a house and I scrap the entire house

you can only scrap junk houses that can't have anything in them, they look like piles of rubble, so no worry on that.

but anything you scrap that has things in it will send those things to the workshop storage.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Definitely agree that Bethesda keeps wanting to do after-the-bombs scenery and not more believable for the time period scenery though. Some of the ruins look like they were resettled and then abandoned again which is at least an improvement.

That explains finding squirrel bits and iguana-on-a-stick etc. in containers that ostensibly are from the old world.

Though not long ago I found a master locked cargo truck with a deathclaw hand in a crate in back. Not sure how that happens...

Some times it's just purely random weirdness due to RNG loot generation. But there are lots of places where it looks like a chem addict squatted for bit but then had to leave suddenly, leaving some post war chems and their containers littered with mostly pre-war stuff. Or a lot of cases where someone holed up for a while and even set up some makeshift defenses but then gave up and you find a skeleton with a gun and booze behind all the defenses.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    or if like the dresser is in a house and I scrap the entire house

you can only scrap junk houses that can't have anything in them, they look like piles of rubble, so no worry on that.

but anything you scrap that has things in it will send those things to the workshop storage.

oh sweeeet

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Goddamnit I was messing with supply lines and I linked them up wrong, making a line from Red Rocket Truck Stop to the wrong one. The game never really tells you how to delete a supply line, you have to assign the supply settler to another task. Thing is the settler is never at his home settlement since he's always running the line, only ever see him at Red Rocket. So the next time I caught him I quickly created a food resource in Red Rocket and assigned him to that. The supply line is deleted but my assignment moved this settler to Red Rocket, the one I wanted to be my personal base. Now the game won't let me move him back, the move option is disabled when I target him - so that means you can never get a settlement to have zero population once someone moves in. Fuck.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Goddamnit I was messing with supply lines and I linked them up wrong, making a line from Red Rocket Truck Stop to the wrong one. The game never really tells you how to delete a supply line, you have to assign the supply settler to another task. Thing is the settler is never at his home settlement since he's always running the line, only ever see him at Red Rocket. So the next time I caught him I quickly created a food resource in Red Rocket and assigned him to that. The supply line is deleted but my assignment moved this settler to Red Rocket, the one I wanted to be my personal base. Now the game won't let me move him back, the move option is disabled when I target him - so that means you can never get a settlement to have zero population once someone moves in. Fuck.

Create a chair at the edge of your settlement facing the direction of the settlement you want to sever the line for. Sit in chair and wait an hour.

If you're quick your settler will be just within your boundaries.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Ok. So at the Graygarden Settlement, you can build structures all the way up to the top of the two level highway. This makes for some really cool possibilities.

I built a two level building underneath it that straddles between the two large concrete support structures. It wasn't until after this was built that I realized you can actually build ON the highway itself. Unfortunately if I go too crazy I will run into Settlement Size limits...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Make him your manservant.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Discrete skills is demonstrably worse than this new system.

Under the old system if you found a cool laser gun you wanted to use, but you'd been putting points in small guns, too fucking bad.

Under the new system you don't get put in a corner where your character can't pull a certain trigger because it's an "energy weapon".

Less restrictions is better for the player, and makes more sense logically. Why would I not know how to fire a certain gun with the same accuracy as other guns?

This was a few pages back, but I wanted to clear this up: you could always fire a weapon you hadn't been trained in with every game. Original Fallouts, FO3/NV, whatever. You pick it up, you can use it.

Whether you can use it *effectively* is where skill comes in. What FO4 appears to change is whether you can aim it properly versus whether you can do damage with it. FO3/NV had noticeable penalties to free aiming/VATS if you were unskilled, whereas FO4 is more based around damage multipliers; there are VATS improvements, but gated behind specific perks rather than weapon groupings. Similar practical effects, but not entirely the same.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Ok. So at the Graygarden Settlement, you can build structures all the way up to the top of the two level highway. This makes for some really cool possibilities.

I built a two level building underneath it that straddles between the two large concrete support structures. It wasn't until after this was built that I realized you can actually build ON the highway itself. Unfortunately if I go too crazy I will run into Settlement Size limits...

There's a mod on PC to remove the size limits.

Has anyone had any luck with the Wood > Miscellaneous > Bridge thing? It seems really hard to make anything useful, like I'd be able to use it but I wanted to have raised entrances for my big shacks for protection (in kayfabe terms, in real terms the bad guys don't bother), but I don't think the npcs would successfully navigate it. Plus they dont seem to snap to anything.

I really don't like that things like the shack supports just float rather than the legs scaling down to the ground. Drives my OCD nuts.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Make him your manservant.

Select your settler, then select your gun....

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The supply lines, they make it so that the two settlements you link get their resources in the workshop pooled right? Because I linked both the Co-Op and the Greygarden to Sanctuary and if that's what it's supposed to do, it hasn't worked.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    for those who have dealt with the courser:
    is there anything you can do with the gunners?

couldnt talk to them so i just murdered them but they werent resisting

got xp tho

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Power Armour: Check
    Ripper: Check
    Jet Pack: Armour and Science 4? Emperor please grant your servant a lucky drop!

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    is it just me or is the max radio volume in this one a lot lower even at max?

Not sure if I like that or not. There are times where I let it kind of out of control in NV and it started to bug me so the idea of it having a lower ceiling is sort of appealing but eh.

(basically I'm implying that I'm a child that can't trust myself with optional settings)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

Has anyone had any luck with the Wood > Miscellaneous > Bridge thing? It seems really hard to make anything useful, like I'd be able to use it but I wanted to have raised entrances for my big shacks for protection (in kayfabe terms, in real terms the bad guys don't bother), but I don't think the npcs would successfully navigate it. Plus they dont seem to snap to anything.

I really don't like that things like the shack supports just float rather than the legs scaling down to the ground. Drives my OCD nuts.

I've seen that mod and I will probably end up using it.

I wonder how much bigger than default you can go before causing massive crashes? Will the game just eat up as much RAM as you can give it? Do I need to upgrade to 32GB of ram so I can have all the buildings?

Because...

Because I can do that if I have to :D

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The supply lines, they make it so that the two settlements you link get their resources in the workshop pooled right? Because I linked both the Co-Op and the Greygarden to Sanctuary and if that's what it's supposed to do, it hasn't worked.

Food, water, and building resources are available to all settlements that are linked together. If you look in the workshop you won't see the materials, but if you try to build something it'll draw from the total pool. Weapons, armor, and other stuff that isn't used for building is localized to each individual settlement.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

The only thing I've used the bridge for is to make raised gun towers.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

I use bridges for fort walls in places where the geometry is fucked. They're suprisingly good for that and you can throw turrets on them.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Move a companion to Red Rocket, move the settler away, and then have the companion join you.

This discussion has been closed.