As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey you, I saw that. Put it back! [Kids]

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    They have it here too, but it really doesn't make sense unless you have family history of certain diseases/ailments.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yeah, we did it. I still pay the $125 every year and every year we wonder if it's really worth the $125. So far no illnesses have emerged, but things like leukemia can strike even in the teens, soooo, I guess, maybe? There's also the possibility the #1's cord blood might help #2 who has Down syndrome where blood disorders are more common.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Someday I'll have to explain to my children what an umbilical cord looks like, and I'll tell them it looks like a curly telephone cord, and they'll look at me blankly because they will have no freaking clue what a curly telephone cord looks like unless they go to a museum.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    My feelings on breastfeeding are fairly nuanced. I've put MYSELF through hell over it. It's a complicated and emotional topic.

Mom's groups are fucking terrible in my experience though.

The one my wife went to last week made fun of our stroller. Like WTF?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    My baby turned 12 yesterday. 12. I don't know how this is a thing, but apparently it is. I swear she was just starting preschool, and now she's twelve.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I stopped taking my son as a newborn to the actual meetups for the group I joined because I swiftly realized that none of those kids were vaccinated.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    that's the other thing

cord blood banking.

is it a thing that's readily done in the states?

cause it's an option down here, but it requires an initial deposit of some moneys and then a yearly fee.

was just wondering if that was something that any of you had done/talked about/thought about.

We passed. Without a definite known issue that you'll be expecting to use them in, it really didn't justify the expense.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I stopped taking my son as a newborn to the actual meetups for the group I joined because I swiftly realized that none of those kids were vaccinated.

Why in the hell..... Okay, I'm trying to not be all judgmental about mommy stuff, but not vaccinating your kids (aside from medical reasons) Whyyyyyyyyy?

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    that's the other thing

cord blood banking.

is it a thing that's readily done in the states?

cause it's an option down here, but it requires an initial deposit of some moneys and then a yearly fee.

was just wondering if that was something that any of you had done/talked about/thought about.

We passed. Without a definite known issue that you'll be expecting to use them in, it really didn't justify the expense.

The wife and I talked about it, because she is a leukemia survivor & my uncle passed from the same form of it, so it's in both of our histories. Still up in the air about it because yes it is a fair sum of money, and we're not exactly sure on the percentage chance of it being passed on.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man this feeding every 3 hours is brutal at night. Worse is that my daughter doesn't seem to want to go back to sleep and just cries apparently to cry. I'm guessing general crankiness or wanting to go to sleep but not understanding how.

She's becoming Batman and making us fear the night.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Why in the hell..... Okay, I'm trying to not be all judgmental about mommy stuff, but not vaccinating your kids (aside from medical reasons) Whyyyyyyyyy?

Because they'd rather have a dead kid than an autistic one.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man this feeding every 3 hours is brutal at night. Worse is that my daughter doesn't seem to want to go back to sleep and just cries apparently to cry. I'm guessing general crankiness or wanting to go to sleep but not understanding how.

Welcome to parenthood. Here is your card. There is cheese and crackers in the back.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Because they'd rather have a dead kid than an autistic one.

This actually gets pretty close to how they feel. The problem is risk assessment. It's easier to imagine autism because we hear so much about it these days, but not so easy to imagine measles which haven't been seen in several generations so they're more afraid of the thing they perceive as being the more "real" threat.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

Do you have Happiest Baby on the Block? Try those methods.
    Early on is rough as you don't have a routine yet. Once you have a routine, they start to get "oh, we finished x, y and z, time for me to go to sleep".
    That's ideal, of course, and doesn't necessarily work that way. Also, she probably doesn't understand how to go to sleep. If you're not swaddling, try that as they can keep themselves awake with their flailing.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The answer is because they're idiots. I know, because my sister is one of them. I gave up trying to make her understand how vaccines work and showing her the actual statistics and what not, because all she has to do is find one blog written by a self-described homeopathic witch doctor or whatever trying to scare her with made up numbers and out of context nonsense and she's right back to believing that her kids are for sure dead if they get a vaccine.

She's now decided to pull all three of them out of school and home school them herself. Because of course she and her barely high school graduate husband are equipped to teach them what they need to succeed in the world. My poor nieces and nephew. =(

• Options
    Someone finds the word "No" hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOvSKSpktpA

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

Early on is rough as you don't have a routine yet. Once you have a routine, they start to get "oh, we finished x, y and z, time for me to go to sleep".
    That's ideal, of course, and doesn't necessarily work that way. Also, she probably doesn't understand how to go to sleep. If you're not swaddling, try that as they can keep themselves awake with their flailing.

We're using the "5 S's" to get her to sleep; Swaddle, Sideways hold, Shh!, Shake, Suckle. Usually sideways hold in combination with a light shake and Shhh'ing is enough, but sometimes she just can't get out.

She was just about unconsolable this morning and I finally gave up and fed her again. That put her out like a light. It had only been about 1.5 hours since she last ate. Kids... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The 5 S's didn't work for shit for us. She hated being swaddled and screamed and twitched until she was out of it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's a f'real thing, hungry babies are angry babies; you're not going to overfeed her as a newborn, don't feel weird about it.

• Options

We're using the "5 S's" to get her to sleep; Swaddle, Sideways hold, Shh!, Shake, Suckle. Usually sideways hold in combination with a light shake and Shhh'ing is enough, but sometimes she just can't get out.

She was just about unconsolable this morning and I finally gave up and fed her again. That put her out like a light. It had only been about 1.5 hours since she last ate. Kids... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, to @Peen 's point. If they're screaming that early on they need something. They don't know what, so we usually just ran down the list - change y or no, rock y or no, Hey Food Source, get over here!. It's usually one of those 3 in the first month. Constipation is also a thing (especially during the meconium stage), so if you see a grunty angry face, that's probably what it is.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    They get a lot easier every day, I think. Nothing compares to how hard the first three weeks were. Especially since this was our first kid, your entire life is upheaved, you don't even like them yet, there's all this new stuff to learn and the whole time this little beast is screaming and shitting on you. They can't even eat! They don't know how! Newborns are ridiculous little goblins and they ruin your life and it sucks.

But now I'm more or less used to running on 4 to 6 hours of sleep. We can cycle bottle feeds so mom gets a break sometimes from breastfeeding. I appreciate that I don't have to set an alarm because every morning at 7AM I will be woken up by grunting noises from the bassinet, followed by intense farting.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

Yeah I had this issue. "We just fed him, he can't possibly be hungry, what else is wrong?" Nothing, feed him you dope.

Also, you're going to get a lot of "Welcome to parenting!" and I want you to know that while what you're going through is totally normal, that doesn't make being up all all sorts of hours and having your sleep get fucked up any easier. It's going to be this way for a bit, but it does, theoretically, get better.

Just trade off as much as you can, and talk about what you do to get the baby to sleep with your partner. THis avoids the "they only sleep for you" issue that can crop up.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    My wife and I trade off sleeping. Mallory usually falls asleep around 9 and sleeps til about 1 or 2, so I take her and go play video games until then, then bring her upstairs and change her then give her to my wife and go to bed until 7. She feeds her and falls asleep with her on the rocker (she still won't sleep on her own yet, we're gonna be starting sleep training soon). It works pretty well, and we both get enough sleep.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I'm a morning person and can actually function on about four hours of sleep at night, so I handle most of the late night crying sessions. My wife on the other hand, takes a long time to wake up and needs a lot of sleep. This of course makes breast-feeding a challenge and she tries to pump often to build a supply for me to use. We've been fortunate that the hospital and our pediatrician gave us lots of free samples of formula but that's running low. I hope we don't have to invest a lot of money on additional formula down the line.

And seriously thanks for all the advice. Who would have thought a gaming forum would be the best source of parental advice I've received so far. :-)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I'll be judgmental. There is no rational proven reason to not vaccinate your kids.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Who would have thought a gaming forum would be the best source of parental advice I've received so far. :-)

Yeah, as discussed earlier on, forums on a particular topic tend to attract some very radical views on that topic.

People who are here for gaming and also happen to be parents, it turns out, are pretty mellow about things. They also have good advice to give from practical experience and research they've personally done :)

Now, if you come here for opinions on video games... watch out.
    Playstation is better than X-Bone :P

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm a morning person and can actually function on about four hours of sleep at night, so I handle most of the late night crying sessions. My wife on the other hand, takes a long time to wake up and needs a lot of sleep. This of course makes breast-feeding a challenge and she tries to pump often to build a supply for me to use. We've been fortunate that the hospital and our pediatrician gave us lots of free samples of formula but that's running low. I hope we don't have to invest a lot of money on additional formula down the line.

And seriously thanks for all the advice. Who would have thought a gaming forum would be the best source of parental advice I've received so far. :-)
    This is exactly how we worked (except we were doing formula exclusively). I can function on less sleep than my wife, I can wake up and function immediately which she can't, and I can fall back asleep really quickly. As a result, unless there was something unusual the next day, like meetings at work or something, I did just about all the late night stuff.

I will say that even if you can function on 4 or 5 hours of sleep, I recommend sneaking in weekend naps or have a morning over the weekend to sleep in because long term lack of sleep can take its toll.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Peen wrote: »
    That's a f'real thing, hungry babies are angry babies; you're not going to overfeed her as a newborn, don't feel weird about it.

Yeah, like it's the ultimate Dad Move to just feed them every time they're crying, but for my baby it was what she wants 90% of the time anyway.

Mine is 4 months and started doing this thing where she screams like a banshee at night until you feed her like 10 ounces of milk. Once you feed her the amount she wants, she goes out like a light and only wakes up when she wants her pacifier put back in.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

Yeah, like it's the ultimate Dad Move to just feed them every time they're crying, but for my baby it was what she wants 90% of the time anyway.

Mine is 4 months and started doing this thing where she screams like a banshee at night until you feed her like 10 ounces of milk. Once you feed her the amount she wants, she goes out like a light and only wakes up when she wants her pacifier put back in.

Yeah, ours was a cluster-feeding nightmare as he went from perfectly average at birth to 90th percentile height/80's weight in about 3 months. My wife is a saint.

• Options
    I'm definitely working naps in now, which is something I've never done before. The tipping point was about day 7 or so, when my wife just got out of the hospital from getting a blood clot in her lung (scary shit!) and I'd been on baby patrol for almost 30 hours straight with little sleep.

It was about 4am and I couldn't get my youngster to stop crying. I look to my left and my wife is coming down the stairs.

"Do you want me to take her?"
    "No, I....*sigh* oh god yes please!"

Seriously, I don't believe in angels, but if there was one on this planet, it was my wife in that moment. She took the baby and I crashed so fucking hard.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    A good way to calm an uncalmable baby is to take them for a ride in the car*

*may not work for all babies, as with all baby-related advice

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    A good way to calm an uncalmable baby is to take them for a ride in the car*

*may not work for all babies, as with all baby-related advice

Also - take them between rooms. Changes in environment can "reset" them. I abused this pretty early with our son - a couple of room switches, then back to the bedroom and he was like "Hey, this is where I go to sleep!"

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I'll be judgmental. There is no rational proven reason to not vaccinate your kids.

Your point is right for most cases, but there are people who can't get vaccines for medical reasons, which is why people who can get them need to even more. My 2 year old can't get a flu vaccine because the injected version of it is made with egg protein and she's allergic to eggs. So no flu vaccine for her until she outgrows that allergy or gets old enough for the nasal version. And other kids may have immune disorders and be unable to get their other vaccines.

I'm thankful my daughter has been able to get all her vaccines outside the flu shot, but yeah, some people have legitimate reasons for being unable to vaccinate. It's just "I'm afraid my kid will die from the vaccine or get autism" is not a good reason.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Your point is right for most cases, but there are people who can't get vaccines for medical reasons, which is why people who can get them need to even more. My 2 year old can't get a flu vaccine because the injected version of it is made with egg protein and she's allergic to eggs. So no flu vaccine for her until she outgrows that allergy or gets old enough for the nasal version. And other kids may have immune disorders and be unable to get their other vaccines.

I'm thankful my daughter has been able to get all her vaccines outside the flu shot, but yeah, some people have legitimate reasons for being unable to vaccinate. It's just "I'm afraid my kid will die from the vaccine or get autism" is not a good reason.

I would think this is implied.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Eh, you'd think so, but with an absolute statement like "There is no rational proven reason to not vaccinate your kids," the statement is saying specifically there is no reason not to vaccinate your kids. Which isn't true, and if you're the parent of a kid who can't get a certain vaccine, you're sensitive to it. I try never to assume someone else understands things that I expect are assumed.

Frankly, before I had a kid with food allergies, I would've never even considered that there might be eggs in a flu vaccine for example.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    dude, don't be dumb.

There is no fucking reason to not get your kid vaccinated, literally no reason.

Obviously this statement isn't true if the vaccine would kill your kid. Come on. That's not what we're talking about here.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Eh, you'd think so, but with an absolute statement like "There is no rational proven reason to not vaccinate your kids," the statement is saying specifically there is no reason not to vaccinate your kids. Which isn't true, and if you're the parent of a kid who can't get a certain vaccine, you're sensitive to it. I try never to assume someone else understands things that I expect are assumed.

Frankly, before I had a kid with food allergies, I would've never even considered that there might be eggs in a flu vaccine for example.

Yeah the implied statement is "There is no rational proven reason to not vaccinate your kids unless there is a medical reason." Nobody here is saying you should always vaccinate everyone 100% even if they'll die

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    dude, don't be dumb.

Obviously this statement isn't true if the vaccine would kill your kid. Come on. That's not what we're talking about here.

Seems like the better thing would be to make the effort and actually say "Unless your kid is allergic to the vaccine or something there is no good reason not to get them vaccinated" instead of just making a blanket statement

And telling somebody who has gone through a reasonable change in their thought process that they're dumb for not just going along with an absolute like that seems kinda rude

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    dude, don't be dumb.

I'm not sure this is the most constructive approach to this thought, as much as most of us probably agree with the sentiment.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Let's just assume the statement was made with the best of intentions and move on.

This discussion has been closed.