Options

Fallout 4. Explore the Commonwealth Wasteland with Roachie!

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Just did Taking Independence last night...
    Preston where did you get that Flamer? Who told you you could flame thrower every... now I'm on fire. Dammit Preston if you stole that from Sanctuary's storage I'm going to exile you to Outpost Zimonja.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    On play through 2

Got to the part of
    confronting Kellogg

Realized that I have a perk that makes it so that companions do not deal damage to me, and that I just picked up a Fat Man and a mini nuke prior to that confrontation...

So I gave them to Nick, and that fight was over very, very fast.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah the "companions can't hurt you" perk was one of the first ones I took. I don't wanna have to worry about watching what my companions are doing.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    pfft, charisma

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'll just be over here pointing my gun at deathclaws who want to kill me and then telling them to go kill other people instead

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Charisma is the best. Being able to just point your gun at people and yell at them to cut it out and then they do is amazing.

And then of course you go "Okay now kill all your friends" and they just do it

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular
    Man, I'm 50 hours in and I still haven't found any companions besides Dogmeat and Codsworth. Maybe I haven't explored far enough south yet? I've only gotten as far south as Cambridge police station.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Spoilers up through Reunions, I guess
    How does the Brotherhood stuff change if you do all the stuff for Danse before the big-ass ship shows up?

Does that questline just kinda stop cold, and they tell you to check in with him again once you see it?

Yeah, you just get radiant quests until that point

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    My second playthrough character will only associate with robots and synths. Human companions be damned, and fuck the factions (as long as I can).

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Mirro wrote: »
    Man, I'm 50 hours in and I still haven't found any companions besides Dogmeat and Codsworth. Maybe I haven't explored far enough south yet? I've only gotten as far south as Cambridge police station.

Um...

You should probably go check the town down the road from the Red Rocket where you found Dogmeat. I mean, the one so close you could probably hit it with thrown rocks if you had an average arm.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular

lol

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So, the 10 Strength perk is FUN. It's even more fun when it's tier 3 and you're in third person mode and you sprint into a group of raiders who just go flying

• Options
    I'll just be over here pointing my gun at deathclaws who want to kill me and then telling them to go kill other people instead

idk i just shoot em dead

• Options
    Can I ignore the minutemen for the entire game, after Concord?

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    yes

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Can I ignore the minutemen for the entire game, after Concord?

I'm doing that in my playthrough and it looks like yes. You can even still help farms and get the use of their workshops, you just gotta talk to the settlers on your own.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I would recommend getting far enough to unlock their big settlement

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So, the 10 Strength perk is FUN. It's even more fun when it's tier 3 and you're in third person mode and you sprint into a group of raiders who just go flying

Does that perk turn the game into Hulk Ultimate Destruction y/n

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »

Does that perk turn the game into Hulk Ultimate Destruction y/n

I mean, basically? You can run into them and smash them, jump on them and smash them, or just smash them. Seems to fit the primary criteria!

EDIT: Also I'm sure it's mostly an animation thing, but I like how all 2-handed melee weapons, become one-handed while wearing Power Armor.

Javen on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

Do the charisma submission perks give you xp when you use them?

• Options

Yep! Not sure if it's as much as for killing them, but you can just shoot them in the back of the head once the rest of the fight's over anyway.

• Options
    Charisma in general results in more overall XP gains

Especially if you have Piper's companion perk

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I need to get more XP boosting stuff so I gain levels faster cause I want all the perks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Charisma is the best. Being able to just point your gun at people and yell at them to cut it out and then they do is amazing.

And then of course you go "Okay now kill all your friends" and they just do it

... So it turns you into the Purpleman?

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

Yep! Not sure if it's as much as for killing them, but you can just shoot them in the back of the head once the rest of the fight's over anyway.

Son of a bitch. I went through the entire game with 10 CHA and never bothered to check this out.

• Options
    I'm not doing it with this character but probably the best way to maximize XP gains is to beeline for idiot savant, maximize INT, get good enough CHA to regularly succeed persuasion checks and/or order things/people around, and get all the crafting perks so you can get all the XP from building settlements and cooking drugs and tweaking armor.

That doesn't seem like a fun way to play though. You'd probably also be very squishy for a long time.

• Options
    One of the annoying things about Piper's companion perk though is that the most common option for charisma dialogue is "hey give me more money for this quest" and she hates that every time.

• Options
    One of the annoying things about Piper's companion perk though is that the most common option for charisma dialogue is "hey give me more money for this quest" and she hates that every time.

I was under the impression that once you get a companions perk, you don't need to be travelling with them in order to get its benefits. Is that not the case?

• Options

It's vastly outweighed by the number of locks you pick around her though.

• Options

I was under the impression that once you get a companions perk, you don't need to be travelling with them in order to get its benefits. Is that not the case?

Yeah, but I liked having her around even after I got the perk. At any rate I've got Cait now who loves when I do that but hates when I try to help robots or ghouls.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I gained a level last night just from making chems.

It wasn't what I planned on doing when I left the vault, but I've become a straight up drug dealer. And Piper seems strangely OK with it, so that's cool.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Piper respects the hustle

• Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Decomposey wrote: »

Um...

You should probably go check the town down the road from the Red Rocket where you found Dogmeat. I mean, the one so close you could probably hit it with thrown rocks if you had an average arm.

Oh you mean Concord? Yeah I did that stuff and brought back Preston. I'm guessing I've probably done enough minuteman stuff that he's a companion now I just haven't talked to him recently.

But man does Preston sound boring. Or exhausted. like, just not a lot of emotion there.

Mirro on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I did a thing last night in a videogame I've never done before (Late Main Story/Battle of Bunker Hill spoilers)
    I'm very firmly a Railroad supporter by now. The Institute wanna cut of their nose to spite their face and "Save Humanity" by killing/oppressing/and subjugating a shitload of actual humans, the Brotherhood are fucking zealots who can't accept change and the Minutemen are fighting a battle they're doomed to lose, turtling and rushing to solve every little kidnapping. The Railroad are the only faction who actually wanna help people, save them, change the world for the better. They're literally freedom fighters.

The battle of Bunker Hill was raging around me and I'm strolling through the fire like wasteland jesus, everyone thinks I'm on their side. I find the escaped synths and immediately set them free and shotgun the Courser in the face (picked up some sweet loot in there too, Gatling lasers and gauss cannons out the wazoo).

Then I go visit Father on the roof of the CIT and when he asks me what happened I put on my damn mother hat and lectured him. Spilled the beans, told him he was being an ass and those people deserved to go free. That his ideology was fucked and I can't be a part of it. He told me I wasn't welcome in the Institute anymore and I said fine. We said our goodbyes and he teleported out of my life forever. I got a cascade of "mission failed" notifications but holy goddamn it felt so good. I don't think I've ever felt like that in a game before.

But then I loaded up my quicksave and made up some excuse and he took me back to the institute and named me as his successor. I figure they're shitty enough that I'll do more good bringing them down from the inside.

I really like this game, you guys.

#pipe on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just got over 3k XP from turning in a quest

Idiot Savant, ilu

• Options
    I would recommend getting far enough to unlock their big settlement
    Nah. I did all the settlements on my first playthrough and while some building is fun I really got no utility out of them other than enjoying setting them up. One of the story points I am trying to push for this playthrough is only helping other factions if I absolutely see no other choice. Part of that is ignoring as many humans as possible. This character will only associate with robots and synths whenever possible.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Concerning XP Gains:

Apparently the max XP bonus you can get is if you have INT 15(requiring gear with +INT modifiers and/or Mentats) and Idiot Savant 5x(the second tier)

Even though IS procs more with a lower INT, having 15 INT gives you a base xp gain of 146.7%, and the times when IS procs you get the added 5x.

Guy on Reddit did the maths testing actions thousands of times at different INT levels with no IS, 3x IS, and 5x IS.

JVIkUEU.png
    OqZGqhd.png

Basically, at Int 1 with IS 5x, your average XP boost is around 151%. That dips down the higher your Int gets until you hit Int 9, then it goes back up. At 15 Int with IS 5x you get an average bonus of around 156%.

As you can see in the chart, Idiot Savant is always worth taking, regardless of your INT stat.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I actually really like the Minutemen. The boyfriend and I did their ending first because we really dug them, though it was a bit underwhelming after everything was over.

I just like the idea of some down-to-earth folks trying to just help the people of the commonwealth in whatever possible way they can, even if they might be up against impossible odds. We also built up all the settlements so well that they could even hold off synth attacks. Missile turrets are pretty tight.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Concerning XP Gains:

Apparently the max XP bonus you can get is if you have INT 15(requiring gear with +INT modifiers and/or Mentats) and Idiot Savant 5x(the second tier)

Even though IS procs more with a lower INT, having 15 INT gives you a base xp gain of 146.7%, and the times when IS procs you get the added 5x.

Guy on Reddit did the maths testing actions thousands of times at different INT levels with no IS, 3x IS, and 5x IS.

JVIkUEU.png
    OqZGqhd.png

Basically, at Int 1 with IS 5x, your average XP boost is around 151%. That dips down the higher your Int gets until you hit Int 9, then it goes back up. At 15 Int with IS 5x you get an average bonus of around 156%.

As you can see in the chart, Idiot Savant is always worth taking, regardless of your INT stat.

well, that depends on if the 10% xp gain at higher INT is worth the 2 levels worth of XP you spend getting the perks

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Concerning XP Gains:

JVIkUEU.png
    OqZGqhd.png

well, that depends on if the 10% xp gain at higher INT is worth the 2 levels worth of XP you spend getting the perks

Since there's no level cap, you can eventually get ALL the perks. So why not spend those two points early on(rank two IS is only lv11)?

This discussion has been closed.