Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Options
    shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bought a PSP at release, and sold it around 6 months later when I realized I had played everything I was interested on the platform. Today I bought a new slim one, & FFT. I haven't really spent time with it since college, & I'm excited about giving it another go.

My first time through I didn't do any look-up on stats, strategies, or FAQs... I just winged it & had a good time. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to do that again, or start looking up numbers and trying to min-max.

shrouded on
    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's not like we're finding these formulas ourselves or anything. They've been well established for nearly a decade.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm glad I avoided the gamefaq forums. I dunno. something about detaching the game into raw formula pierces the veil, you know? Guess its just me. And yeah I realize the formula work has been there since the game came out, but I just never had to read it since I avoided those forums.
    shrouded wrote: »
    My first time through I didn't do any look-up on stats, strategies, or FAQs... I just winged it & had a good time. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to do that again, or start looking up numbers and trying to min-max.

Amen to that. avoid the dark side!

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The game is based on easy to understand math. Why not take advantage of it?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are you guys really formula-ing tactics? T_T My god its a final fantasy game not an MMO!!!!

sorry, I just get all twitchy when I see multiplyer formulas pop up.

I think we can look up the formulas, now that we've beaten the game 10 times in as many years.

I wouldn't have looked it up on my first few playthroughs, but I've been doing a min-max run with no calculators, no orlandu, and no de/re-leveling. It's actually pretty interesting to try to put together the best team possible without going super cheap. You feel smart, but not like you're cheating.

If you want all the gory details, look up the Battle Mechanics Guide by Aerostar et al.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So has anyone had ample experience with dark and onion knights? Are they now the dominating jobs in the game or are ninja's/calculators still on top?

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

Because I have the convoluted mindset that the game should be played for the storyline more than the amount of damage I could pump out into that poor chocobo. But its probably just a difference of opinion on my part. A lot of people dissect games and extract the base damage and max stats and all that. I just don't really understand how that plays into my gameplay.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Really, a lot of it is just figuring out which abilities work well together. I learned almost everything I'm doing just from playing the game a lot. The only things I had to look up were the significance of faith and brave because they aren't explained very clearly and don't seem important. Also, definitely look up the job requirements for ninjas and samurai, they're kinda weird and it's hard to get unless you consciously aim for it.

The only real min-maxing thing is the level down trick, which is extremely tedious and annoying. I tried it once, but it doesn't really seem to be worth it.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Because I have the convoluted mindset that the game should be played for the storyline more than the amount of damage I could pump out into that poor chocobo. But its probably just a difference of opinion on my part. A lot of people dissect games and extract the base damage and max stats and all that. I just don't really understand how that plays into my gameplay.

I see where you are coming from for sure - the first couple times I played through I wasn't all about maximizing each little stat.
    A lot of us have played through this game about 50 times and know the story in and out. Playing around with the math of the game almost adds a puzzle element to it - how do you maximize the potential of your characters? One of the main draws I have to this game that keeps me coming back is building a team of powerhouses, with each character being diversified into his/her own role. I want to maximize those roles.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I got mah ninja! Sweet... she's got a heavy monk backround. I will switch back to monk in a later grinding session to get Hamedo so she obliterates anything that even thinks about attacking her.

I got Ramza as a samurai... im not impressed really... do you need the doublehand to be powerful? Or should I go back to dragoon?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I see where you are coming from for sure - the first couple times I played through I wasn't all about maximizing each little stat.
    A lot of us have played through this game about 50 times and know the story in and out. Playing around with the math of the game almost adds a puzzle element to it - how do you maximize the potential of your characters? One of the main draws I have to this game that keeps me coming back is building a team of powerhouses, with each character being diversified into his/her own role. I want to maximize those roles.

Good point. I guess I've been subconcious doing that, just without assigning any sort of numerical value to what i was doing. Alright, I appologize for the outburst, but as I said, the world of MMOs have done some irreversible damage to me.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I got mah ninja! Sweet... she's got a heavy monk backround. I will switch back to monk in a later grinding session to get Hamedo so she obliterates anything that even thinks about attacking her.

I got Ramza as a samurai... im not impressed really... do you need the doublehand to be powerful? Or should I go back to dragoon?

Get doublehand, Then go back to dragoon.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

Thats what I figured but Im not a huge fan of the jump attacks.. theyre great when they land but most of the time the guys move :x

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007

Thats what I figured but Im not a huge fan of the jump attacks.. theyre great when they land but most of the time the guys move :x
    Teleport Ramza to the ass who moved last then initiate a jump. Guaranteed hit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

A good rule of thumb is to use Jump only on enemies with <50 CT.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

A good rule of thumb is to use Jump only on enemies with <50 CT.

Unless you are dealing with an insanely fast enemy, this will pretty much always hit. Jump is calculated at 2*Jumpers speed for CT. I <3 Jump.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I found jump a ton more useful in this playthrough than others, where it was mostly ignored. My lanc....dragoon rather was racking up the pain on distant enemies.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dragoon ( males ) are probably my favorite character sprite in the game. The class ( when mastered ) has a huge range panel and Dragon Spirit / Ignore Height isn't to shabby either.

If you can poach a Red Dragon, I think, you might get a Holy Spear for your troubles, rare chance though but worth the effort. At the start of Chapter 2 a place you can fight North of the very first town you should encounter a Green Dragon every now and then.

Use a Orators"train" skill to invite it to your team when you get it low enough, then just let it breed to get a Red/Blue Dragon.

*Trying to get a bard right now* /waits......

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, guys.

These are out now:

942pk7.jpg

http://www.square-enix-shop.com/usa/dsp_product.cfm?product_id=94

Go buy some.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought Balthier was part of that set.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't you get Holy Spears for poaching Sacreds?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I know that there was another image floating around with Mustadio in it but I never saw anything on Balthier.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, getting the Escutcheon II and Javelin II was a huge pain in the ass. I forgot the monsters level up with you even in story battles and ended up trying to beat a team of level 52 monsters with a mainly level 38-40 team (Ninja was level 52, followed by Ramza at 49 from all the time I spent poaching pigs).
    Construct 8 had a wonderful time blasting Rapha halfway across the screen and through walls until I was able to get my Ninja with Chantage in front of him. Those stupid "Stone 95%" birds didn't help either, though Beowulf turned that little trick around on them.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm a total sucker. Just bought the figures.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Don't you get Holy Spears for poaching Sacreds?

Yeah I knew it was some "red" type of monster, Sacreds or Red Dragons.

Divider on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the red dragons could be poached for a perfume, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I do remember that poaching the third tier tree could net you a defender sword, which is always a great sword to have as early as chapter 2. Plus the parry skill was meant to be used with weapons like this. 16 WP, 60% deflection. Knight sword.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I want to try a...

Bard
    &
    Summoner/Chemist

....and use Carbunkle and Golem while boosting my teams stats or giving them beneficial status effects. Should be a nice setup.

Grind Grind Grind....

Divider on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Divider wrote: »
    If you can poach a Red Dragon, I think, you might get a Holy Spear for your troubles, rare chance though but worth the effort. At the start of Chapter 2 a place you can fight North of the very first town you should encounter a Green Dragon every now and then.

I think Holy Spear gets poached from a Minotaurus (The second Bull of the Demon creature types).

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gyral wrote: »

I know that there was another image floating around with Mustadio in it but I never saw anything on Balthier.

Might have been Mustadio.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's the point of Cyclone? Does it even do anything?

Also, to level up a certain job, I have to do it's respective abilities right? So to get Knight JP's, I'd have to do Art of War abilities?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Also, to level up a certain job, I have to do it's respective abilities right? So to get Knight JP's, I'd have to do Art of War abilities?

Nope. Any action will give you JP, and those are funneled into your current job. Any action, so long as it produces a result. So an attack must do damage, healing must heal HP or cure status, status attacks must hit, and so on. This is why the Squire ability Focus is the best JP raising ability. Even if you can't do anything, you can always use Focus and gain JP. Really, the fact that it boosts attack power is more of a side benefit.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Cyclone hits all four adjacent panels. I think the computation for damage is different than a regular attack. The main thing that gives minus points to it is that it has zero vertical tolerance.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Cyclone hits all four adjacent panels. I think the computation for damage is different than a regular attack. The main thing that gives minus points to it is that it has zero vertical tolerance.

Actually, the biggest bonus I see about the ability is the fact that it goes through reaction abilities (Last I remembered). So it'll go through the blade grasp ability and shouldn't allow counter, etc.

When you get the 600 job points, grab shockwave. Very high hit chance (possibly 100% hit chance) and I don't think someone can counter you even if you stand next to them.

Ardor on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    True on both counts.

Black goblins use spinfist because it's the only thing they've got that can hit my guys.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mmm. Team of Bards.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Surely I'm not the only one that would like to give props to the story of this game. It's probably the only Final Fantasy game I've ever played, where I actually enjoy the story and give a small amount of crap about the characters.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Question: do Jobs affect stat growth? I remember that they don't but I'm not sure.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes they do Baron.

No, it's not really that important.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes they do Baron.

Unless you use a Calculator and then the stat gain sucks all kinds of balls. So, in a way, it's way important.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes they do Baron.

It's not going to make a significant difference in the end when you hit level 99 due to the class switching you will inevitably do while opening up new classes, but if you do the level up and level down trick, it'll make a world of difference.

A male generic leveled down as a bard and leveled up as a knight and gained like 200-300 hps and nearly doubled his natural PA.

Ardor on