Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Ugh gotta try to get my shift covered on Sunday because the city is shutting off the water main from 12am to 530pm and fuck going to work without basic personal hygiene. Sure I could douse myself with a couple gallons of cold jug water, but I'd rather not.

Shower the night before?

Well yeah, but that's not the problem. Weaver's saying he won't be able to shower in the morning before going to work.

I think the point is, shower the night before and go in to work mostly as clean as you would be by showering in the morning, instead of losing out on a full day of pay.

Honestly the idea of not going to work because you couldn't shower that morning is kind of nuts to me.

Doubly so when you consider that plenty of people shower at night rather than in the morning

For sure. I mean for me they're functionally equivalent (with the differences being personal preference) but even if you somehow see a morning shower as objectively superior, it doesn't seem like losing a day's worth of wages over.

I feel so incredibly grimy when I wake up, showering at night is worthless. But I sweat like crazy when I sleep.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Oh jeez I just got a call from the place I applied to-- I was not expecting it so soon and thought it was my dermatologist ACK I hate picking up the first call all unprepared ACK ACK ACK

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    @weaver you could always get a trial gym membership or something, shower there, and cancel and be like see ya later fools I was just using you for your shower.

Maybe don't tell them that last part.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Ugh gotta try to get my shift covered on Sunday because the city is shutting off the water main from 12am to 530pm and fuck going to work without basic personal hygiene. Sure I could douse myself with a couple gallons of cold jug water, but I'd rather not.

Shower the night before?

Well yeah, but that's not the problem. Weaver's saying he won't be able to shower in the morning before going to work.

I think the point is, shower the night before and go in to work mostly as clean as you would be by showering in the morning, instead of losing out on a full day of pay.

Honestly the idea of not going to work because you couldn't shower that morning is kind of nuts to me.

Doubly so when you consider that plenty of people shower at night rather than in the morning

For sure. I mean for me they're functionally equivalent (with the differences being personal preference) but even if you somehow see a morning shower as objectively superior, it doesn't seem like losing a day's worth of wages over.

I feel so incredibly grimy when I wake up, showering at night is worthless. But I sweat like crazy when I sleep.

For me it's like, I'm not going to shower when I go to bed and when I wake up. That seems super wasteful. Some nights I want to go to bed feeling smooth and clean from the day's efforts. This is especially true if I've washed my sheets recently. Some nights I just want to fall into bed, and I know I'll need a shower the next day to get me going and feeling ready.

But all in all, they're basically equivalent.

• Options
    Going to do a phone interview at 12:15. Give me tips people please O_O

signature.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Don't drop the phone

Maintain eye contact

Give a firm verbal handshake

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I <3 askamanager for interview and job search tips. These really helped me when I interviewed for my current job! (I feel like the landline thing is out of date but everything else still works)

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2011/05/30/10-ways-to-ace-a-phone-interview

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I <3 askamanager for interview and job search tips. These really helped me when I interviewed for my current job! (I feel like the landline thing is out of date but everything else still works)

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2011/05/30/10-ways-to-ace-a-phone-interview

By far the most useful tip here is number 7. Of course you should know something about the company that's interviewing you and the position that you're interviewing for, but when you're not able to use eye contact and body language to communicate information or emotion, you need to be prepared to communicate that information through your voice. Don't over-rehearse to the point where you sound fake, but you want to make sure you can show your personality through your voice. And 99% of the time, unless you've gone through actual acting and vocal training, bigger is better (to a point which only you can determine).

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Hello, job thread. I'm making an attempt to get into a job that isn't food service because eff food service.

I applied to Only Cable Company about two weeks ago for a business-class call center position. It's a multi-hat position that covers basic tech support troubleshooting to billing questions. It was the kind of listing where they send their employees a reference number with a message that says "hey, if you know someone who would be a good fit for the company, send them this number!"

My father works there, and he got his job by dropping the name of my brother's friend who also works there. This is definitely the kind of job where having more than one person on this inside helps. I took their assessment and I feel like I did well. I'm just playing the waiting game now. My dad informed me it would be a minimum of several weeks before I heard anything back one way or the other, but for $15/hr full time + sweet health benefits, I am totally willing to wait.

The only thing that worries me is that I worked food service for the last 6 years. Food service isn't the easiest thing to break out of unless you have a degree of some kind. However, working food service has steeled me to work with the most awful of people in person, so having to do that over the phone will be easier. At least over the phone, the worst thing they can do is hang up on me. I've had people chuck their food at me and my co-workers, so, welcome change if I get this job.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

By far the most useful tip here is number 7. Of course you should know something about the company that's interviewing you and the position that you're interviewing for, but when you're not able to use eye contact and body language to communicate information or emotion, you need to be prepared to communicate that information through your voice. Don't over-rehearse to the point where you sound fake, but you want to make sure you can show your personality through your voice. And 99% of the time, unless you've gone through actual acting and vocal training, bigger is better (to a point which only you can determine).

Agreed. 1 & 2 are pretty vital too for any interview actually - not just phone ones. It was really frustrating in the interviews to replace me as I don't think any candidates had read up anything about the product we support. Seriously, when the job is Telematics support, you should expect to be asked "what do you know about Telematics"? Having a one or two sentence response taken off any website would have blown me away by the time we were done interviewing.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Don't drop the phone

Maintain eye contact

Give a firm verbal handshake

Don't wear pants

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Don't say that you're not wearing pants.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Don't say that you're not wearing pants.

Don't tell.

Show.

• Options
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    They've asked me to go in next week for a one hour test.

Hoooooly

Gonna...read over their website again like whoa.

signature.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Good morning, Africa

O65Bojd.jpg

Great, now I'm gonna be singing Hairspray all day!

How often do you sing that Toto song Africa?

Cuz I would like, all the time.

• Options
    Good morning, Africa

O65Bojd.jpg

I mean, I do already and I'm nowhere near Africa.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got this little bluetooth barcode scanner last year but it didn't work very well with my school given ipad. However now that I have a Surface Pro it works super well so I wear the scanner on one of those little belt retractable pulley things. However it dangles off my belt and sometimes gets caught on chairs.

I just found the company make a tiny holster for it so I ordered one.

I am such a nerd.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    They've asked me to go in next week for a one hour test.

Hoooooly

Gonna...read over their website again like whoa.

Did they say what kind of test? The last time that happened to me it was basically one of those psychological personality tests.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Good morning, Africa

O65Bojd.jpg

Volunteers play it a lot.

Along with Circle of Life

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I've got a new work related name for you all.

A Mr. Bud Beers.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Spongebath, yo

We frequently don't have water, sometimes for multiple days. I can have a sink-shower, including washing my hair and shaving my legs, in 1.25l of water.

Presumably Weaver doesn't shave his legs so it should be even easier!

Haha, speak of the devils. Guess who visited tonight

Currently sitting on a bakkie in the dark, listening to branches snapping around us and our water tanks slowly draining away.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I got this little bluetooth barcode scanner last year but it didn't work very well with my school given ipad. However now that I have a Surface Pro it works super well so I wear the scanner on one of those little belt retractable pulley things. However it dangles off my belt and sometimes gets caught on chairs.

I just found the company make a tiny holster for it so I ordered one.

I am such a nerd.

Your move, creep.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Spongebath, yo

We frequently don't have water, sometimes for multiple days. I can have a sink-shower, including washing my hair and shaving my legs, in 1.25l of water.

Currently sitting on a bakkie in the dark, listening to branches snapping around us and our water tanks slowly draining away.

I'm guessing that burying pipes isn't really feasible?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I find that I enjoy snow days even more as an employee at school.

• Options

Spongebath, yo

They are buried, but they have to come above ground at the tanks and that's where they break em

• Options

Spongebath, yo

They are buried, but they have to come above ground at the tanks and that's where they break em

Oh, right, I forgot the tanks were above-ground. Yeah, that stinks. I think the elephants must like to remind you who is really in charge around there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've decided I should have the right to just close any ticket where the attachment is a scan of a print out of a screenshot.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

I know, right?!?

They are so great!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Spongebath, yo

Oh, right, I forgot the tanks were above-ground. Yeah, that stinks. I think the elephants must like to remind you who is really in charge around there.

Seriously, elephants are smart, if you engineered some sort of water dispensing system they could operate with a foot or a trunk... well it may not save you water but it would probably save you pipes!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Ah yes, cover letters. Hello again my old friend.

I just realized the advice I was using from earlier focused on a CV, someone tell me how to write a cover letter before my brain fries.

edit: To be clear, the letter is being submitted as is through a web prompt, not uploaded from my desktop.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    Okay, job thread. I'm sure this has come up many a time before, but I'm thinking on jumping on board with the whole standing desk thing. I've been test running by putting stacks of catalogs under my monitor and keyboard, which has only taken me so far, but I think I like it. For those who have made the switch, which brand did you buy? And do you consider it worth it?

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    littlewren wrote: »
    Okay, job thread. I'm sure this has come up many a time before, but I'm thinking on jumping on board with the whole standing desk thing. I've been test running by putting stacks of catalogs under my monitor and keyboard, which has only taken me so far, but I think I like it. For those who have made the switch, which brand did you buy? And do you consider it worth it?

Not sure what your options are, but my company uses desks that can convert between sitting and standing, so you can switch positions throughout the day. I highly recommend that if you can afford it (I assume they're more expensive).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Grobian wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    So a co-worker of mine has gone and told my boss's boss that I haven't been doing part of my job.

Except it actually isn't part of my job, and my boss has confirmed that I am not contracted to perform that duty. (Some of his other reports are, and I could be, but it's optional for us.) Except my co-worker has, I suspect, lied to my boss' boss about how this works, and so now he's coming after me, talking about how they'll need to recover the hours that I'm not spending doing this duty that I'm not supposed to be doing.

This is the second time this particular person has come after my wages illegitimately, the first time after a strike in which he admitted to not having read our back-to-work protocol before saying that we could lose hours, in direct contradiction of the protocol that was signed.

I've gotten my union representative involved, and I'm pretty sure once I get the right people in the room with the right paperwork, this goes away. Except this is still eating up a huge fucking chunk of my time that I'm not paid for (graduate student, hourly TA wages), and even then, that doesn't deal with the fact that it's this co-worker, who has a reputation for being a creating toxic environments and has previously sabotaged me on other work that we've done together including lying to our mutual co-supervisor then. In fact, my refusal to perform this duty in the first place is because I expressly want to avoid contact with this co-worker. I've been documenting as best I can, but even when I look at it, I don't have enough to prove any serious malfeasance on my co-worker's part.

So, job thread, help please!
    1. Do I alert my PhD supervisor about this? (He's not actually in the department (cross-appointment) so I'm not sure what he can do for me.)
    2. What do I tell my immediate boss about this? AFAIK, he knows nothing about what's going on.
    3. At what point do I just lawyer the hell up? That's pretty ridiculous over ~$150, but I'm so mad, I'll gladly pay $1000 just to stick it to them.
    4. How do I get my goddamned time back? I feel like I should be compensated for having to deal with this BS, given that this problem is one entirely created by the department's own incompetence and ignorance.
    5. How do I deal with the actual problem of my co-worker going out of their way to make my life hell by exploiting the stupidity of our bosses?

Edit: I've talked to another person who's had to deal with this malicious co-worker before, and they advised me to "fight back," and that it took them fighting back just to get moved to another office away from this co-worker, because the department refused to deal with it initially.
    1. Yes, still tell him.
    2. Tell him what you wrote above. He needs to know. He also needs to escalate that to his boss because he already got involved.
    3. Probably not worth it.
    4. You probably won't.
    5. By doing #1 and #2.

Thanks grobs. This is such bullshit :mad:

hippofant on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

I know, right?!?

They are so great!

Paid day off! Its the best thing ever!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey you guys remember that shitty job I had for months earlier this year?

One last fuck you. Got my W-2 today. On $10,000 they say I only had $499.04 taken out in federal taxes.

My current job from October to December I made $4,500, they taxed me $600. So. Yeah. I need to get access to my paystubs.

• Options

I know, right?!?

They are so great!

Until you use up all the snow days and suddenly you have to stay longer into summer break!

• Options

I know, right?!?

They are so great!

Until you use up all the snow days and suddenly you have to stay longer into summer break!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Not sure what your options are, but my company uses desks that can convert between sitting and standing, so you can switch positions throughout the day. I highly recommend that if you can afford it (I assume they're more expensive).

Personally I find standing all day worse than sitting, but I find the ability to move between the two much better. So yeah, ideally you want the ones that can convert.

At my work it's probably about 30% converting standing desks, but also standing hot-desks. I find that works well as I can alway change to a hot desk when I want to move position.

I know, right?!?

They are so great!

Wait, is that a thing? Do they plan in so many snow days? I would have thought you'd just catch up rather than havin an allocation.

orthanc
  • Options
    Orthanc wrote: »

Personally I find standing all day worse than sitting, but I find the ability to move between the two much better. So yeah, ideally you want the ones that can convert.

At my work it's probably about 30% converting standing desks, but also standing hot-desks. I find that works well as I can alway change to a hot desk when I want to move position.

I know, right?!?

They are so great!

Wait, is that a thing? Do they plan in so many snow days? I would have thought you'd just catch up rather than havin an allocation.

In school districts in areas that are almost confirmed to get snow days, the majority have preplanned snow days. If they go over then they add days to the end of the year or increase the length of every day for like 5 minutes for the lest of the year.

This discussion has been closed.