As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Undertale (and also MSPA): Notorious T.E.M.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    VickyBit wrote: »
    SAVE stuff is easy with a system file. Obviously people editing save files will be gone but that also became no longer necessary with the new update. Still popular, but not necessary.

The thing that would be hardest would be
    The flowey fight crashing the game, as well as the Genocide ending doing the same. I also feel like it might be a little bit more questionable to have the game load up to a black screen for 10 minutes before functioning as it does after a Genocide run on a console. More likely for those people to be a bit freaked out.

Might have to just bite the bullet and lose the suspension of disbelief and "fake" the game crashing. Maybe have it just cause some kind of glitches crash effect to make it seem like it locked up, then just restart on its own?
    I know that games CAN shut themselves down on the Wii U/3DS due to errors, but that makes an error message popup afterwards, so 'forcing' an Actual Crash wouldn't be a good idea.. not to mention it's not really an actual crash, the game just calls for an exit command or something. Now, I don't think I've ever seen a Nintendo game with an exit button ingame, they usually have a 'press the Home Menu button to leave the game' message, however if he's in talks with somebody handling game releases/QA at Nintendo, they might allow him to trigger an exit command (there's gotta be one built into the OS, after all). either way, i'm really curious as to how many of these things meant to trick the player would even be allowed by Nintendo, considering their focus on user friendly presentation
    I was more saying to program and actual event that looked like a glitched crash, not to program the game to actually crash.
    Fez had something like this, it was on consoles right? Was it on any nintendo console?
    Also MGS1 did similar stuff in the psycho mantis fight, and Eternal Darkness probably had some insanity effects like that.
    I think the key is that Eternal Darkness fakes a crash, but doesn't actually crash. Fez didn't make it to any Nintendo consoles, it stuck to the Xbox360/PC/PS3 area.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    warning spooks inside

JESUS FUCK! I know you warned me, but that is just messed up.

Edit: In slightly less frightening news, Steam Train finally uploaded the Finale (finnle?) of their Genocide run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi2VkEx-U-U
    Most of it is just in front of the black screen.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    a papyrus fan game

warning: the dude playing casually drops geno spoilers

https://youtu.be/67gnoj_ag5U

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Glad to hear he's been approached/thought about porting it to consoles. Could see it doing quite well.

Would make a great 3DS release.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    Edit: In slightly less frightening news, Steam Train finally uploaded the Finale (finnle?) of their Genocide run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi2VkEx-U-U
    Most of it is just in front of the black screen.
    ahahaha, the screaming when they get to the attack before the special attack for the first time

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    In that Grump video, Brian just seems super impressed and bewildered at everything going on. Especially during that one attack.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    In that Grump video, Brian just seems super impressed and bewildered at everything going on. Especially during that one attack.

Odd, you'd think, given his PhD, that this game wouldn't be particularly mind-blowing to him.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    There's no food at the PhD seminar on bullet hell so people usually skip it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    VickyBitVickyBit Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    SAVE stuff is easy with a system file. Obviously people editing save files will be gone but that also became no longer necessary with the new update. Still popular, but not necessary.

The flowey fight crashing the game, as well as the Genocide ending doing the same. I also feel like it might be a little bit more questionable to have the game load up to a black screen for 10 minutes before functioning as it does after a Genocide run on a console. More likely for those people to be a bit freaked out.

Might have to just bite the bullet and lose the suspension of disbelief and "fake" the game crashing. Maybe have it just cause some kind of glitches crash effect to make it seem like it locked up, then just restart on its own?
    I know that games CAN shut themselves down on the Wii U/3DS due to errors, but that makes an error message popup afterwards, so 'forcing' an Actual Crash wouldn't be a good idea.. not to mention it's not really an actual crash, the game just calls for an exit command or something. Now, I don't think I've ever seen a Nintendo game with an exit button ingame, they usually have a 'press the Home Menu button to leave the game' message, however if he's in talks with somebody handling game releases/QA at Nintendo, they might allow him to trigger an exit command (there's gotta be one built into the OS, after all). either way, i'm really curious as to how many of these things meant to trick the player would even be allowed by Nintendo, considering their focus on user friendly presentation
    I was more saying to program and actual event that looked like a glitched crash, not to program the game to actually crash.
    Fez had something like this, it was on consoles right? Was it on any nintendo console?
    Also MGS1 did similar stuff in the psycho mantis fight, and Eternal Darkness probably had some insanity effects like that.
    I think the key is that Eternal Darkness fakes a crash, but doesn't actually crash. Fez didn't make it to any Nintendo consoles, it stuck to the Xbox360/PC/PS3 area.
    in FEZ' case, due to the way nintendo were dealing with indie developers at the time, the developer just didn't want to make nintendo port, rather than nintendo not allowing it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

in FEZ' case, due to the way nintendo were dealing with indie developers at the time, the developer just didn't want to make nintendo port, rather than nintendo not allowing it
    Fez's crash was also just a fake one, with a fake reboot and POST screen and such

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
  • Options
    various spoilers
    I don't know if I prefer cartoony undyne or super ripped undyne

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I want Undyne to be super ripped, but she looks really skinny compared to her armour, but then again she can bench-press six+ schoolkids, but also the fact alone that she can walk in that armour means she should probably be incredibly buff. But seriously compare her battle sprite to her date fight, she's like half the size in casual clothes.

edit:
    1) We never see Undyne actually in her element, I bet she is fucking terrifying underwater.
    2) What happened to her eye? I can easily see it as a cooking accident or some other mishap but may she did something really badass.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    She is a noodle person.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Mother 3 is required playing for anybody who likes Undertale. It's better than Earthbound.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I should probably play Earthbound too then I guess.

• Options
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I absolutely love the lore thing of how monsters are mostly magic
    so stuff like conjuring bones/spears/fire, or fucking with gravity, or whatever other weird interpretations of the abstract battle mechanics
    is second nature to them

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I want Undyne to be super ripped, but she looks really skinny compared to her armour, but then again she can bench-press six+ schoolkids, but also the fact alone that she can walk in that armour means she should probably be incredibly buff. But seriously compare her battle sprite to her date fight, she's like half the size in casual clothes.

Gram for gram fish have more muscle than any other vertebrate

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    The Temmie Undyne...

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    if you want to warn people of a thing, do you really think giving said thing a nickname helps people avoiding spoilers?

geno

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    By trusting that since this is a 13+ forum people here will have the reasoning skills to see a spoiler description that they don't understand and know that if they click on it it'll show something they haven't seen yet.
    I'm not sure how that could be a controversial understanding of spoiler tags or descriptions?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Maybe we're talking about the rad dude from Super Mario RPG, maybe Square and Nintendo have finally made up enough to let our favourite marionette-star-ghost(?) out to play, maybe now that Geno's stuff is in SSB4, and Toby Fox got tweeted by a Nintendo rep, it means that Undertale Wii U will have Geno Mode, where ♡♪!? goes down to investigate/solve the Underground's lack of stars. I don't really know where I'm going with this, Undertale makes my brain steer strange tangents. ((I usually call it Geno, but not b/c of spoilers or anything, I just think it's more succinct))

YggiDee on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    if you want to warn people of a thing, do you really think giving said thing a nickname helps people avoiding spoilers?

geno

There's asking for spoiler tags, then there's being silly. Especially since Genocide is the most common descriptor used for that path.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Low-LV run and Max-LV run.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    rhylith wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

geno

There's asking for spoiler tags, then there's being silly. Especially since Genocide is the most common descriptor used for that path.
    yes, genocide is

oh I see what's up. yeah the ship has sailed on genocide. I'm talking about nicknaming genocide to geno. to which you can be like "well I don't care about a single character named geno I never met, I guess it's fine to read"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think its less a nickname and more people liking to shorten everything because lazy.

And of course, Paci just doesn't have that same ring to it, you know.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny how we're reenacting versions of the events in Undertale over and over because we care about it too much to be willing to move on.

• Options
    Well, this is the MSPA thread.

• Options
    laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Mother 3 is required playing for anybody who likes Undertale. It's better than Earthbound.

This is what I have heard and what I am hoping for. I really liked Earthbound but everybody tells me Mother 3 has real characterization and story. (I loved Earthbound, but that's mostly because it was charming and sweet and had themes I really care about. It had a simple story and relatively superficial, if charming, characterization. This is why I love Undertale more. And people say Mother 3 is more like Undertale in this regard, and that it's at least as devastating in its darkness, which is exactly what I want -- something devastating and uplifting and funny and tragic all in the same game!)

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • Options
    Geno spoilers
    Geno is actually the name of the doll he's possessing and his actual name is "♥♪!?". He only goes by "Geno" because no one knows how to pronounce his real name.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Geno spoilers
    Geno is actually the name of the doll he's possessing and his actual name is "♥♪!?". He only goes by "Geno" because no one knows how to pronounce his real name.

i knew this was basically going to be what this post was

you're too predictable bagel

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Geno spoilers

i knew this was basically going to be what this post was

you're too predictable bagel

All I know is wherever Chincy is right now, he just got upset for reasons he doesn't understand, and that gives me power.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.