As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I remember that happening once when I was a kid and being really sad about it.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hey you guys remember that shitty job I had for months earlier this year?

One last fuck you. Got my W-2 today. On $10,000 they say I only had $499.04 taken out in federal taxes.

My current job from October to December I made $4,500, they taxed me $600. So. Yeah. I need to get access to my paystubs.

Well accessed my paystubs and my I9. Turns out that is correct. While I'm fairly positive I entered 0 for exemptions, and it looks like a 0, the lady in charge of HR at that place says on her end she entered a 3 and it looks like a 3 to her. So I was barely getting taxed.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @timspork's ghost So if an area doesn't use all it's snow days, do the kids get let of earlier than planned? Or does the time just get filled in with extra curricular activity.

@Bucketman I'm probably stating the obvious, but work out how much tax you should have paid and put it in a bank account now, You do not want the tax man on your arse.

orthanc
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »
    They've asked me to go in next week for a one hour test.

Hoooooly

Gonna...read over their website again like whoa.

Did they say what kind of test? The last time that happened to me it was basically one of those psychological personality tests.

It'll be substantive, about the organization and services. I'm guessing there may be questions about how I'd act in a given situation too. Short answers, not multiple choice!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hey you guys remember that shitty job I had for months earlier this year?

One last fuck you. Got my W-2 today. On $10,000 they say I only had $499.04 taken out in federal taxes.

My current job from October to December I made $4,500, they taxed me $600. So. Yeah. I need to get access to my paystubs.

Well accessed my paystubs and my I9. Turns out that is correct. While I'm fairly positive I entered 0 for exemptions, and it looks like a 0, the lady in charge of HR at that place says on her end she entered a 3 and it looks like a 3 to her. So I was barely getting taxed.

Ooof that sucks...I made that mistake once and that's how I learned what exemptions mean, and why I should never take more than 1.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Bucketman I'm gonna need you to take a picture of one of your 0's

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    @timspork's ghost So if an area doesn't use all it's snow days, do the kids get let of earlier than planned? Or does the time just get filled in with extra curricular activity.

I think it's usually a mixture of minor holidays/inservice days that get turned into school days if enough snow days happened and some extra padding added on to schedules, eg. I could teach this section 15 days but could do it in 13 if pressed.

Also adding 5 minutes onto each day is silly, like kids are going to be paying attention during that span.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I email a thing to someone for someone to do, I get an automated reply telling me that they are away and to please contact another person instead. I fret for a bit thinking whether to email someone I've never spoken to before or to just do the thing myself, but I decide to get my act together and overcome my aversion to emailing. Get the email together, go over it carefully cos I'm not really sure what the other person's role is and whether it's rude of me to ask them to do the thing that the first person normally does. Then I send the email off. Phew, job done. Then I get an automated reply from the second person telling me that they are away and to please contact another another person instead. And I spoke to that person two day ago and I know that they will not be around either. So I think I'll skip sending any more emails and do it myself.
    fake edit- upon looking again, the third person is someone else so they could be available. But at this point I think I'll just do it myself anyway.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I came back from holiday once to find an email in my inbox from immigration.

A query about employment status for one of my people, that would have a direct impact on their residency application.

They'd emailed the person's direct boss, got an out of office directing them to me, and then got an out of office from me.

First thing I did was email the immigration person back asking if they'd got what they needed (they had indeed followed the next step in out of office tag thankfully).

But I've never been so glad that I bothered to check the person my out of office pointed to was actually going to be working.

When I get an out of office and have to direct to someone else, I always preface the email with "blah's out of office directed me to you, would you be able to help or direct me to the person who could".

I find that with that qualified people are always happy to at least point in the right direction and work out who the request should be going to. Even if it's got nothing to do with them directly. It's basically a courtesy extended to the person who put them in the out of office rather than to me.

orthanc
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Just got told my assignment ended, $391 for last week and a little less for this week so not too bad.

Took another assignment I rejected before due to bad timing.

Will fret over this cover letter tonight and send it off, then fret further about switching my B job around to full time and abandoning this stable and easy weekend job.

Everything has to be shaken up some time in the future, just hesitant to pull the trigger.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be so tired after working those two weekends. It's all manual labor, just helping to move offices and such.

Still, the overtime will be well worth it. Gonna book a spa day for me and Rachel and we'll actually be able to afford new phones too!

• Options
    And my client wasn't informed of the changes. Next week it is.

• Options

@Bucketman I'm probably stating the obvious, but work out how much tax you should have paid and put it in a bank account now, You do not want the tax man on your arse.

I normally do 0 or 1, but everything seems to check out. I chatted with the online people through the Tax software I've been using.

Though I did request a copy of my I9 because...I've never not put a 1 or 0 in that box that I can ever remember.

If I am not mistaken, you can claim 1 if your not claimed by anyone else and any other number is the number of dependants you have. Is that correct?

@godmode when this happened to you did you wind up oweing any back tax?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I owed that year. Fun fact: That year I decided, "Eh, fuck it. I don't wanna pay that." And just didn't file taxes.

Of course, that method of postponement only lasted a year. Keep in mind that if you owe and it's a scary amount, you can establish a payment plan with the IRS. It was actually pretty simple.

• Options
    Well I'm hoping things turn out ok on this...I also got to use my American Education thing for the last time and that gives you a 4000 tax credit of some sort.

• Options
    I've stopped claiming anything on my paychecks to get the maximum amount of tax taken out. It hurts at first, but it should be worth it come tax time next year.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I wish I had gone into some kind of trade instead of wasting four years on an Environmental Planning degree and then later on two more on a Software Development degree.

Also the money. All that money spent putting knowledge into my head that I have forgotten 98% of already.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I've stopped claiming anything on my paychecks to get the maximum amount of tax taken out. It hurts at first, but it should be worth it come tax time next year.

The most optimal choice would be to take as many exemptions as you can so that you don't get any refund at all (or even owe a small amount) at the end of the year. Then take the difference and put it somewhere it can grow. Taking zero exemptions is letting the IRS borrow your money at 0% interest until next year.

Obviously not everyone is capable of being that disciplined with their money, but if you can be, you should.

• Options
    Sticks wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

The most optimal choice would be to take as many exemptions as you can so that you don't get any refund at all (or even owe a small amount) at the end of the year. Then take the difference and put it somewhere it can grow. Taking zero exemptions is letting the IRS borrow your money at 0% interest until next year.

Obviously not everyone is capable of being that disciplined with their money, but if you can be, you should.

Yeah, right now our budget is so tight, but doable, that it's really actually nicer to just have money taken out now and then get a nice refund the following year. It'll especially be nice for if we want to take a vacation.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Yea, understandable. It's not for everyone, but it does net you more money in the long run.

This does remind me that I need to update my exemptions though. I'm getting back way too much money now that I have a kid.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I swear the air conditioning in here can't be good for my health.

I work in a police control room with no windows. The air conditioning keeps being changed from really cold to really warm.

It keeps breaking and getting stuck on hot where you can smell the dust burning.

We don't have the money to properly repair it so I have to keep putting my coat on and then taking it off every 20 minutes or so.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ellies visited again in the night. I got woken up by branches breaking and hitting my roof. Opened my door to a pair of tusks.

Stood a while and just listened to them in the dark. One big bull walked past a few metres from me, I've never been that close and not in a vehicle. You can feel their footsteps through the ground.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I found out that on my shift coming up Monday night there is going to be radiography performed on some equipment ~15m from the control room. The control room that must be staffed by someone at all times. That someone being me on Monday night.

So apparently I'm going to be subjected to ~1.5 mrem/hr (.015 mSv/hr) of gamma and xrays for up to 12h! Yay!

I'll report back on Tuesday on whatever super powers I develop.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ellies visited again in the night. I got woken up by branches breaking and hitting my roof. Opened my door to a pair of tusks.

Stood a while and just listened to them in the dark. One big bull walked past a few metres from me, I've never been that close and not in a vehicle. You can feel their footsteps through the ground.

i know you've got plenty of experience with "dangerous" wildlife (quotes because animals are only really dangerous once you do something silly, usually, unless they're fuckin hippos) but how was that?

was it kinda scary or was it more one of those moments where you go "wow i am very small and the world is awesome in the truest and grandest sense of that word"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

i know you've got plenty of experience with "dangerous" wildlife (quotes because animals are only really dangerous once you do something silly, usually, unless they're fuckin hippos) but how was that?

was it kinda scary or was it more one of those moments where you go "wow i am very small and the world is awesome in the truest and grandest sense of that word"

It wasn't scary, because I was standing in my doorway under my veranda and I knew they wouldn't come at me. I stayed quiet so I wouldn't startle them but I reckon they knew I was there. It was just very cool to stand so close and listen to them in my own home.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I'm looking at applying to technical writer jobs (graduating in May with a degree in history and chinese = I can write well) but most require a few years or more of experience. Should I apply for them anyways?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So I'm looking at applying to technical writer jobs (graduating in May with a degree in history and chinese = I can write well) but most require a few years or more of experience. Should I apply for them anyways?

Absolutely.

Look for any kind of part-time job or even class assignment related experience you can spin into being related and highlight that in your cover letter. When I was in college I needed to take some time off at one point because I just wasn't taking school seriously. I managed to spin high school math team and college student government finance committee (approving disbursement of student activity fee funds to student groups for events they wanted to host) into a job doing financial reporting and auditing sales of the shops in one of the best museums in the world, despite having no full-time work experience and no job experience in anything related to finance or accounting or anything remotely similar. The closest related work experience I had was working as a cashier over the summer in that museum's shops. But they did everything in Excel, which I was plenty comfortable with, and I convinced them that the math required was basically babby math compared to what I'd done as a "mathlete."

Experience requirements are almost never hard requirements. Just an initial weedout step to try cut down on unqualified applicants. There are almost always other ways to be qualified besides related work-experience though.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Oghulk wrote: »

As Keter said, experience requirements tend to be optional.

Do remember though that technical writing roles are about a lot more than writing. In many cases they are the translation between the user & the developers. At least as important to the writing is the ability to put yourself in the user's shoes and work out what it is they're going to be trying to do, while at the same time understanding developers well enough to understand how the software is supposed to work.

Emphasise those skills as much as the writing skills, because lots of writers apply for tech writing jobs, but it's the ones that can translate that stand out.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Right, that's exactly what I imagined tech writing jobs to be, and I have the experience for that sort of thing. Good to know I should really emphasize my aptitude for it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hearing your boss brag about their super bowl plans when you have to work is kinda :rotate:

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My job is delivering groceries

I am terrified of tomorrow

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    During my last break, as i resumed patrol, I got a text from my mother informing me of shenanigans with my car's warning lights.

I bus home in rage filled apprehension. I cannot afford more repairs.

Took my monthly scratch vice, spent $5, won $10.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I had a student come to my office hours for the first time today.

He was one of the students that got a zero on an early assignment for quoting websites directly without changing the wording or providing a cite.

He's an overseas student struggling with English, told me he had a hard time with the assignment, got help from a friend, friend told him to use the quotes, etc. Frustrated at the zero he got on the assignment and how it could potentially affect his scholarships.

But the school is rather adamant on it's academic dishonest policy.

So I figured I could give him an extra credit assignment where he learns how to properly cite and reference things so there's no excuse in the future, so he knows how to do it, and so he can get some extra points towards his grade.

It's like, man, I don't want to negatively impact anyone's future but as a teacher there are certain standards, bleh.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I had to leave work early today because one of my baggers, that has already been suspended once for being aggressively creepy towards our younger female employees, and also having no goddamn sense of spacial recognition and having hit customers with carts before, knocked over a hand truck behind me today. The handle for the hand truck hit me right on my right hip where I've had two previous surgeries, and by reflex I tried to dodge to the left with great force, which with my back, tweaked everything and almost my entire left side seized up. It started as general warm soreness around my fucked up disc, then I started having radiating shooting pains, then everything from my left thigh up to half way up my back was completely seized up. After I got home and sat down and was getting my heating pad out the tightness actually caused the left side of my neck, jaw and cheek to spasm for a bit.

Been sitting against the heating pad and I've got muscle relaxers, but goddamnit I'm opening supervisor tomorrow on Superbowl Sunday and if my back is still messed up tomorrow I will find a way to fire this man. Which I should do anyways.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So I figured I could give him an extra credit assignment where he learns how to properly cite and reference things so there's no excuse in the future, so he knows how to do it, and so he can get some extra points towards his grade.

It's like, man, I don't want to negatively impact anyone's future but as a teacher there are certain standards, bleh.

This sounds very fair. If his English is so bad that he doesn't understand the need to cite then it's kind of questionable he should be doing anything other than ESOL. Giving an option to learn from his mistakes for extra credit feels like going above and beyond to me, and shows you really do care about your students.

orthanc
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

This sounds very fair. If his English is so bad that he doesn't understand the need to cite then it's kind of questionable he should be doing anything other than ESOL. Giving an option to learn from his mistakes for extra credit feels like going above and beyond to me, and shows you really do care about your students.

It's primarily a music college, but they still need to do their GEs. I'm not sure if they actually offer an ESOL classes (though they should). Happy to hear that I'm on a decent track with my idea though.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2016
    For reasons, I may end up taking on an editing job worth quite a bit of cash over the next few months. The reasons are not good, but my god would that money be helpful. Fingers crossed it pans out.

tynic on
  • Options
    Hey gang, I need to ask advice. Not for me this time, but for my girlfriend. Bless her heart. Before moving out here to be with me she was a cake decorator at a grocery store. It was great, but they had a union in Illinois so she got paid pretty good, had benefits, and when management tried to screw them they had a union rep to go to.

Then she moved out here, tried to transfer but out in Indiana the chain has no union, she'd lose benefits, pay would go down, and she would only be part time. So she got a job at Wal-Mart doing the same thing. At first she was full time, and the pay was only about a dollar less then her last job. They were dazzled by her skills (she went to art college and was trained how to decorate by someone who did so for 30 years. Shes got talent) but as time has gone on the job is weighing on her.

Shes in school, should be done by either August or December depending on if she can get funding for summer semester. Shes going to get her paralegal since her bachelors in design and advertising has gotten her a job in over 5 years. She got knocked down to part time a few months back, but thankfully we've been able to make things work. But between full time school, 32 hours a week at Wal-Mart, and the finances being so tight shes crazy stressed.

As time has gone on the job has gotten worse, once they were no longer amazed at her dazzle, they expected it. They would start taking special orders that only she could fill because no one else knows how to do anything beyond borders and sprinkles, the standard Wal-Mart cake. Sometimes she would go in and be expected to fill the floor with cupcakes and cookies, deal with customers, help stock, and do 10-20 cake orders a day, at least half of which are special non standard stuff that just takes longer. But shes been doing it. Because of the way they have the bakery set up she has to bend to do cakes and its killing her back, the actual decorating that fast and that through is killing her wrists and hands, and she comes home physically and mentally exhausted everyday and sits down to do hours of homework.

Lately they did this thing that Wal-Mart does every year or so, they rotated the department managers. So now the guy in charge of the Deli/Bakery/Produce is someone whos spent the last year in charge of clothing, and the year before that in charge of pharmacutals. This is a guy whos a manager and told a customer they could special bake their cake (Wal-Mart cakes come in frozen on a truck and arn't baked, but thawed.) and when he was informed they don't bake them, he got the stuff to bake a sheet cake together and made them fucking bake it, even though thats not really the job. This guy is trying to force my girlfriend to take part in a company wide decorating compition that she must do on her own time and she literally gets nothing from (the prize is getting to be flown to corporate HQ and bake cupcakes for the big wigs...for free. You have to do it and don't get paid) so he can look good. She competed in it a few years back, got third place and said "Man that wasn't worth doing ever again." he also keeps pulling the other decorators away from the department, as well as the doughnut people and packers, in order to help stock produce and bread. Again, not their job. He then expects her to do the job of 3 people. She flat out told him yesterday that she can't work like this, and when he caught her and 2 other employees mouthing off he wrote them up for "Bad Behavior" and then told her he doesn't understand why she expects special treatment (IE to be treated like a human being) because shes not creative and lacks skill.

So yeah, shes fed up and I can't stand to sit here and watch her be miserable everyday. She feels like looking fora new job might be futile because she should be graduating in 7 months and what place would hire her with that over her head, plus she can't work Thursdays at all, or Friday's until after 12 because of school.

I was wondering if anyone with any office/law work experience might had some advice. I think she should start applying for the kinds of jobs she wants after school ends, and would possibly be able to get into a place part time while she finishes school, but shes reluctant.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    7 months? That's plenty of time to find a new job. And if they ask what she's going to do at the end, just explain that the date set for graduation "is an expected graduation date, and subject to change". It doesn't hurt and shit maybe that job she finds is one she sticks with for a few more months while something good rolls around?

Shit, I've been working at this current job with the expectation that I'd leave as soon as I got done with my teacher certification and hopefully get hired by midyear, but I'm still here 6 months later. And it's okay! That didn't work out. So the plan is to get a teaching/coaching job by May and stick with this shit until then.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I don't see any reason she'd need to mention that she's going to quit in 7 months.

ASimPerson on
This discussion has been closed.