Options

Everyone go play Firewatch [chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    per see uh

Puhreensu-sama

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I liked Prince of Persia, but yes the lack of actual Persians was problematic

was it though

Yeah. It was kinda weird.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    one of the cool things about the LIGO and Advanced LIGO organization (what just announced the detection of gravitational waves) is that they have a team whose job is to insert fake data into the stream generated by the instruments. They then see if the rest of the team picks up on the signal and analyses it properly. So they can essentially run checks on the human components of the project.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Transferred money to my savings account to make it a round number. Was off by $1 because I am what the kids call "gud at math".

(yes, I totally transferred $1 back to my checking account)

I know associates who bill out at 210 bucks an hour who would gladly hunt for that dollar

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    one of the cool things about the LIGO and Advanced LIGO organization (what just announced the detection of gravitational waves) is that they have a team whose job is to insert fake data into the stream generated by the instruments. They then see if the rest of the team picks up on the signal and analyses is properly. So they can essentially run checks on the human components of the project.

there was a false positive recently (or maybe like a year or two ago?) because of this i think

they were all like WOO WE FOUND SOMETHING

and what they found was a fake signal planted to make sure they could tell the difference

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Ben Kingsley playing Persians if you haven't watched House of Sand and Fog go do that now

bring a box of kleenex

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Apparently Phil Spencer of XBOX and some guy named CrapGamer are now feuding on Twitter a little. Because Quantum Break got announced as coming to PC as well, and apparently this is a betrayal of Xbox gamers. Phil Spencer rightly pointed out "You cancelled a pre-order for a game you want to play because someone else get's to play the game on Windows?"

XBOX gamers are apparently very salty that there's becoming less and less of a reason to actually own a console.

Yeach. How dare others have an experience I desire on a different platform.

A Kickstarter I backed just added some stuff to the base level that was included at a higher level because the designer really thought they made a huge difference and the big capital costs were paid for. He put out an update saying that and asking for feedback. I'm amazed at the people who were all aggrieved that he wanted to reduce his profit margins on some games to make it better in a way they also already got (as a small portion of the more money they spent.)

Happily the majority of comments were all positive and the creator is even allowing folks to downgrade pledges.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Inspections are the #1 reason I want to own a home.

I'm a clutter bug (shit is all over my table) and I hate having to clean my clutter.

WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT ALL THIS JUNK MAIL HUH!?

The trash? Pft, no way that's silly!
    Your apartment gets inspected?

vat is dis?

My current one doesn't.

My previous one would announce random searches twice a year, then do a yearly one around your renewal date.

It was annoying. I was paying like $700 a month for a 1 bedroom. But they also did section 8 at this complex, so my neighbors typically were not the kind of people you wanted to associate with. The day after I moved out, someone set fire to the building because he was fucking crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VywdH7lrn3s

(this one happened 2 years earlier actually, but fuck that place, bunch of fucking crazies and they're basically slum lords)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    This show is weird

It was a high school coming of age show set in 1997.

And then everyone graduated and it was for a little bit a college coming of age show set in 1998.

And now it's timeskipped and it's 2005 and everyone has come of age but it just keeps on going.

what

what are you watching?

BuffY?

Answer Me 1997, kdrama

It was a HS romance

Now instead it's a "reconnecting with that old HS friend that things never quite worked out with" show

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It is interesting, in board games about lying and betrayal, when people are genuinely upset by being fooled

Because it's like they have seen, even in a trivial context, how easy it is to dissemble and deceive, and it shakes them, or because they are upset by how a specific person is adept with dishonesty and they can't shake the influence of that knowledge in future interactions

On the one hand, there is a separation between game and reality, but on the other hand... Maybe you SHOULDN'T trust someone who's really, really good at lying as much as you did before.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I think the first Resident Evil movie is actually pretty decent.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Powerpuppies what bogart are you enfilminating

not anymore i have been working but Sierra Madre

sig.gif
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

It's par for the course

I can't begrudge Ben Kingsley though, he is the epitome of ethnically ambiguous

And will apparently take any job.

• Options
    Apparently Phil Spencer of XBOX and some guy named CrapGamer are now feuding on Twitter a little. Because Quantum Break got announced as coming to PC as well, and apparently this is a betrayal of Xbox gamers. Phil Spencer rightly pointed out "You cancelled a pre-order for a game you want to play because someone else get's to play the game on Windows?"

XBOX gamers are apparently very salty that there's becoming less and less of a reason to actually own a console.

A Kickstarter I backed just added some stuff to the base level that was included at a higher level because the designer really thought they made a huge difference and the big capital costs were paid for. He put out an update saying that and asking for feedback. I'm amazed at the people who were all aggrieved that he wanted to reduce his profit margins on some games to make it better in a way they also already got (as a small portion of the more money they spent.)

Happily the majority of comments were all positive and the creator is even allowing folks to downgrade pledges.

Maybe it's more "I spent $450 on this thing because you told me these games were exclusive, and now you've changed your tune and I have basically wasted my money because I already have a PC"?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I'm a clutter bug (shit is all over my table) and I hate having to clean my clutter.

vat is dis?

My current one doesn't.

My previous one would announce random searches twice a year, then do a yearly one around your renewal date.

It was annoying. I was paying like $700 a month for a 1 bedroom. But they also did section 8 at this complex, so my neighbors typically were not the kind of people you wanted to associate with. The day after I moved out, someone set fire to the building because he was fucking crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VywdH7lrn3s

(this one happened 2 years earlier actually, but fuck that place, bunch of fucking crazies and they're basically slum lords)
    Holy crap. 3 inspections would be super annoying, but fucking hell if fires are breaking out like crazy, I'd be doing inspections too.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

I thought the first Silent Hill movie was pretty decent. Don't hit me!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    It is interesting, in board games about lying and betrayal, when people are genuinely upset by being fooled

Because it's like they have seen, even in a trivial context, how easy it is to dissemble and deceive, and it shakes them, or because they are upset by how a specific person is adept with dishonesty and they can't shake the influence of that knowledge in future interactions

On the one hand, there is a separation between game and reality, but on the other hand... Maybe you SHOULDN'T trust someone who's really, really good at lying as much as you did before.

most of the time when people are genuinely upset by being fooled in board games about lying, it's not for any reason as thoughtful and legitimate as that?

it's just an incoherent reflexive irritation at someone who lied and screwed them over, a failure to take their lumps as agreed, their disappointment at their failure leaking through mental firewalls into aggressively lashing out

sig.gif
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

you know that card game BS where you say you are laying down two kings or whatever but you instead laid down deuces and they have to guess what you laid down?

my way of cheating at that game was to line up 3 or 4 cards tightly together and then put them down and say '2 sixes' and the top two cards would be sixes...

anyway, i think it's kinda funny that i cheated at a game where the core tenet of the game is to cheat and lie, yet i cheated outside the scope of the cheating parameters

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Though that's one of the reasons I like Ben Kingsley so much.

This is a guy who wins all kinds of oscars and acclaim and shit and will still say,

"Blood Rayne? Sure, why not."

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

It's par for the course

I can't begrudge Ben Kingsley though, he is the epitome of ethnically ambiguous

From his goddamn wikipedia page
    Kingsley's father, born in Kenya, was of Gujarati Indian (Ismaili Muslim Khoja) descent.[8] Kingsley's paternal grandfather was an extremely successful spice trader who had moved from India to Zanzibar, where Kingsley's father lived until moving to Britain at the age of 14.[9][10][11] Kingsley's mother was British; she was born out of wedlock, and "was loath to speak of her background".[12][13] Kingsley's maternal grandfather was believed by the family to have been of Russian- or German-Jewish descent, while Kingsley's maternal grandmother was of English background, and worked in the garment district of East London.[14] Kingsley stated in 1994: "I'm not Jewish... and though there might be some Russian-Jewish heritage way back on my mother's side, the thread is so fine there's no real evidence

That entire paragraph is just bananas, but "an extremely successful spice trader who had moved from India to Zanzibar" is just amazing.

• Options

vat is dis?

My current one doesn't.

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=VywdH7lrn3s

Holy crap. 3 inspections would be super annoying, but fucking hell if fires are breaking out like crazy, I'd be doing inspections too.

Wouldn't help if you have crazy people setting fire to their walls.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Why doesn't this place have calculations for their stuff. Where did these numbers even come from

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

I thought the first Silent Hill movie was pretty decent. Don't hit me!

I actually don't disagree. It's one of my wife's favorite horror films funny enough.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Though that's one of the reasons I like Ben Kingsley so much.

This is a guy who wins all kinds of oscars and acclaim and shit and will still say,

"Blood Rayne? Sure, why not."

Ben Kingsly is who what the characters in Being John Malkovich think John Malkovich is.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Maybe it's more "I spent $450 on this thing because you told me these games were exclusive, and now you've changed your tune and I have basically wasted my money because I already have a PC"?

The step is 20 and includes a bunch of other stuff. They're talking about less than a dollar in vacuum formed boxes.

Oh, wait, on the Xbox thing. Eh. I sorta get that but not really. If you didn't realize after hearing the hardware specs that practically every console game is gonna end up on Windows, especially Xbox ones, then I don't know what to say.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2016

most of the time when people are genuinely upset by being fooled in board games about lying, it's not for any reason as thoughtful and legitimate as that?

it's just an incoherent reflexive irritation at someone who lied and screwed them over, a failure to take their lumps as agreed, their disappointment at their failure leaking through mental firewalls into aggressively lashing out

I'm just theorizing. My gaming group is a harsh and unyielding landscape where only victory matters and no one can be trusted, so when we are fooled by someone we excoriate ourselves for believing their stupid, ugly, lying face in the first place

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

you know that card game BS where you say you are laying down two kings or whatever but you instead laid down deuces and they have to guess what you laid down?

my way of cheating at that game was to line up 3 or 4 cards tightly together and then put them down and say '2 sixes' and the top two cards would be sixes...

anyway, i think it's kinda funny that i cheated at a game where the core tenet of the game is to cheat and lie, yet i cheated outside the scope of the cheating parameters

huh, that was a commonly accepted (and often used!) strategy when we played

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ben Kingsley's early life reads like something you'd read as the backstory on a Steampunk RPG character sheet.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

That seems like a very uncharitable view of humanity

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    @zepherin they actually didn't even have firewalls between apartments or floors, so fires just massacred those buildings.

• Options

I'm just theorizing. My gaming group is a harsh and unyielding landscape where only victory matters and no one can be trusted, so when we are fooled by someone we excoriate ourselves for believing their stupid, ugly, lying face in the first place

have you played blood rage again or was the taste of their defeat so memorable that they won't get back on the horse

sig.gif
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

Having met the kind of people who play board games,

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Consoles will die, except for nintendo, which will continue to be your cheap fun mariocart box for the forseeable future.

Nintento won the console wars.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I never trust Deebs

ever

He's a fucking spy

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    YRtuvT5.png

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

naw

Just people aren't robots and board games that require people to not have emotions or to control them well are board games that cause hurt feelings sometimes! Know that and either accept the hurt feelings, only play with very particular groups, or don't play them. Le'chaim!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Consoles will die, except for nintendo, which will continue to be your cheap fun mariocart box for the forseeable future.

Nintento won the console wars.

If anything consoles seem to be the winning horse?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    And now Jimmy Johns.

Again.

This discussion has been closed.