As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone go play Firewatch [chat]

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I never trust Deebs

ever

He's a fucking spy

deflecting attention

interesting

the kind of tactic a spy might employ

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    YRtuvT5.png

the proof we've been looking for

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Consoles will die, except for nintendo, which will continue to be your cheap fun mariocart box for the forseeable future.

Nintento won the console wars.

If anything consoles seem to be the winning horse?

Oh really?

Nevermind, guess I'm just an old.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I never trust Deebs

ever

He's a fucking spy

deflecting attention

interesting

the kind of tactic a spy might employ

Pitting two people against each other eh

Like a spy would

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Uupon reflection, I challenge the premise. Conversations with EM are exempt, you can't take things from that context and start talking about humanity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i like consoles so much im buying a second xbone and second TV for a price that would probably get me a decent PC

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Puppies, I've played another game of Blood Rage but I came in second. My buddy won with a combo of the second tier Loki Valhalla points and a double of the same mission with Odin's Throne

I don't think you should be able to double up on the same mission. Seems lame.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It is interesting, in board games about lying and betrayal, when people are genuinely upset by being fooled

Because it's like they have seen, even in a trivial context, how easy it is to dissemble and deceive, and it shakes them, or because they are upset by how a specific person is adept with dishonesty and they can't shake the influence of that knowledge in future interactions

On the one hand, there is a separation between game and reality, but on the other hand... Maybe you SHOULDN'T trust someone who's really, really good at lying as much as you did before.

I never trust Deebs

ever

He's a fucking spy

I really wanna get a group of people together to play Resistance with the expansions.
    maybe a brunch and games thang

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    It is interesting, in board games about lying and betrayal, when people are genuinely upset by being fooled

Because it's like they have seen, even in a trivial context, how easy it is to dissemble and deceive, and it shakes them, or because they are upset by how a specific person is adept with dishonesty and they can't shake the influence of that knowledge in future interactions

On the one hand, there is a separation between game and reality, but on the other hand... Maybe you SHOULDN'T trust someone who's really, really good at lying as much as you did before.

you know that card game BS where you say you are laying down two kings or whatever but you instead laid down deuces and they have to guess what you laid down?

my way of cheating at that game was to line up 3 or 4 cards tightly together and then put them down and say '2 sixes' and the top two cards would be sixes...

anyway, i think it's kinda funny that i cheated at a game where the core tenet of the game is to cheat and lie, yet i cheated outside the scope of the cheating parameters

i did this all the time

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have not yet played board games with a group that got outwardly mad over deception in deceptive games.

I don't think it's as universal as Chat makes it seem.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Speaking of Ben Kingsley playing Persians if you haven't watched House of Sand and Fog go do that now

bring a box of kleenex

I have not seen the movie but I read the boog and it was gutwrenching

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Uupon reflection, I challenge the premise. Conversations with EM are exempt, you can't take things from that context and start talking about humanity.

Then it seems strange to begin your assertion with "most of the time"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Puppies, I've played another game of Blood Rage but I came in second. My buddy won with a combo of the second tier Loki Valhalla points and a double of the same mission with Odin's Throne

what scrub-tier faildrafter handed him the second one?

be honest

sig.gif
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I have not yet played board games with a group that got outwardly mad over deception in deceptive games.

i don't think it's universal but also how many people have you played board games with? Ain't nobody got a proper sample size for this question

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Speaking of Ben Kingsley playing Persians if you haven't watched House of Sand and Fog go do that now

bring a box of kleenex

I have not seen the movie but I read the boog and it was gutwrenching

I only saw the movie and I am afraid to read the book as well lest i dissolve into a puddle of endless tears

• Options
    ignorance is ever our fate

sig.gif
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

The assertion that most people who react strongly to betrayal in a board game are emotionally immature does not seem overly uncharitable to me

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Life is Strange's soundtrack so good... Now I'm just digging around for good covers of Syd Matters - Obstacles and Foals - Spanish Sahara

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    we're talking about games where lying and cheating is part of the game right?

ie every single game?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i am a spy

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    ignorance is ever our fate

Nuh-uh!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Consoles will die, except for nintendo, which will continue to be your cheap fun mariocart box for the forseeable future.

genuine question: what good games are there for the PS4 / xbone generation that aren't also available on PC? Cause I've frequently thought about picking up a console but keep coming back to the fact that I don't know of a single one.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Eddy wrote: »

The assertion that most people who react strongly to betrayal in a board game are emotionally immature does not seem overly uncharitable to me

Untrue

For example, if I protect Beasto from Assassination with my Contessa in Coup, and he turns around and Coups me in the next turn, our relationship is over

just over

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I like the idea of board games about lying and manipulation

But I am the worst liar of all

• Options

wife and i have this one couple we are good friends with that we recently taught to play Catan. they love it so we have been playing a lot recently.

i did get frustrated with her one night after 3 straight games of her building directly into my settlements/roads, always placing the robber on my best numbers and refusing to trade with me

but like i've said before, she plays a different game sometimes. and that night the game was "make sure landshark doesn't win"

• Options

i don't think it's universal but also how many people have you played board games with? Ain't nobody got a proper sample size for this question

Probably 30-40 total, maybe double that if you count online Mafia type games?

I mean maybe I read some people going "fuck you for betraying me" charitably as joking rather than being legit mad (since they didn't seem legit mad) but nobody seemed super upset.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i like consoles so much im buying a second xbone and second TV for a price that would probably get me a decent PC

But PC users are total nerds

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »

I have been told that I am the worst liar, and also a surprisingly good liar

I suspect that one of the people that told me that was lying

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Oh really?

Nevermind, guess I'm just an old.

This isn't necessarily correct. At one point folks proclaimed PC gaming dead and consoles the winners of everything. Then steam sales, games like League growing massively in popularity etc turned things back around. Consoles are now catching up on digital ditro and sales though.

• Options

wife and i have this one couple we are good friends with that we recently taught to play Catan. they love it so we have been playing a lot recently.

i did get frustrated with her one night after 3 straight games of her building directly into my settlements/roads, always placing the robber on my best numbers and refusing to trade with me

but like i've said before, she plays a different game sometimes. and that night the game was "make sure landshark doesn't win"

this must be countered by moving randomly, taking no more than 2s for any given turn, and talking about other things

occasionally look at her and make a pouty face so she knows she is winning her game

sig.gif
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    sirius xm why do we do this every year?
    You try to get me to renew a year for $180.
    I laugh at you and say no cancel it.
    You say oh but all your favorite radio stations
    and I'm like, yeah I will survive..somehow

And then you put me on hold like 3 times, and suddenly it's $80 for a year like fucking voodoo magic.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hm, for my lunch group in high school there was a lot of question as to the allowed scope of the card Cheat! in Munchkin.

We definitely used it to do more than it is officially allowed to do. And then my friend Annie would just layer straight-up cheating on top of that. Fun times. not the same context as competitive board games or a board game group though.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

what scrub-tier faildrafter handed him the second one?

be honest

This is sort of the issue with Blood Rage. It is impossible to block someone from getting a combo when you don't see what they draft and it's very likely that they will get a shot at the cards they want before anyone even gets a good picture of what's available. It's entirely possible he picked the first mission from his first hand and the duplicate from his second hand, and nobody could have stopped him.

I don't really like drafting games, honestly. They are really, really luck-driven and also rely on complete card knowledge.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

if you were in the lead, or could reasonably be thought to be in the lead (since points on cards are hidden until the end) then she was playing optimally

Catan is very much a "gang up on the leader" game

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

genuine question: what good games are there for the PS4 / xbone generation that aren't also available on PC? Cause I've frequently thought about picking up a console but keep coming back to the fact that I don't know of a single one.

destiny and halo but im p sure you don't consider either good games and/or you lack interest so idk

consoles prob just aren't for you

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

(x) - Lie

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    My trick for deceptive board games is that instead of being a good liar or creating an interesting gambit or lying unnecessarily, I just lie in a way that confirms other people's claimsuffering and/or is exceedingly plausible for the state of the board.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

Probably 30-40 total, maybe double that if you count online Mafia type games?

I mean maybe I read some people going "fuck you for betraying me" charitably as joking rather than being legit mad (since they didn't seem legit mad) but nobody seemed super upset.

yeah i'm just saying it's easy for me to believe that there's not a lot of similarity between the experience two people will have playing board games with 30-40 people

one group might be more prone to getting mad than another, if the groups are that small

sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I feel like I've destroyed my friends opinions of me after playing those games.

They never knew just how easily I could lie to them all and how convincing it would be..

This discussion has been closed.