As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]us horribilis

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    but then fallout became minecraft and i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh when I took the castle in my latest playthrough there is a square plot of land behind it still within the borders. I made me a little General's Shack there that has a porch and a pier going out into the water with a chair and cooler at the end.
    I need to figure out how you anchor objects so I can place a fishing pole too
    Also put stuff on the shelves. Why have shelves when you cant place anything on them and expect them to stay

ALSO
    ALSO
    Is there anyway to display the non-bobblehead moddles you find in game?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So many games out there that are inferior to Blops

>:3

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The thing about the dream dude in fallout...
    They went back to the start of the game. There was no reason to shoot my wife in the face. There was no reason to NOT just thaw the whole crew out! The whole call to adventure revenge plot was dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb. Then you find out your elderly son was running Evil Lab Co the whole time (WHAT?) and had no ill will at all toward Team Mom Killers. Just WUT? HUH? Y?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I remember fallout 3 or new Vegas or some shit.

I walked into town and everyone was like HEY STRANGER FIX ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS.

And I was like "nah, I'm good. "

Went out and found some abandoned place. Got into a fight with bandits or demons or something stupid and died.

Then turned it off.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I've said this before but I think Bethesda's big issue is that they are a computer game company from the 1990s that managed to survive into the modern era when nearly all of their contemporaries - Westwood, Origin, Sierra, Interplay, etc etc - are gone. Some of that is due to smart decisions - like making their RPGs playable on console at the exact moment that PS2/O.G. Xbox really started leaving computer games in the dust for a few years - and a lot of it is due to sheer luck.

And the thing is that I don't really think they've, like, learned the lessons of twenty years of forward progress in games design. Their philosophy is still the exact same thing that it was with Elder Scrolls 1 - "you should be able to play as ANYTHING and do WHATEVER YOU WANT" and because we don't have real life holodecks what that actually means in practice is that they make games that the player essentially floats through as a disconnected, bodiless observer, not really interacting with anyone or anything in a meaningful way, and it means that their idea of production values is still rooted in what would have been super cool in the 90s. Other games are giving these incredible, emotive performances and they're still like "We have VOICES!" and you fire up the game and hear three versions of the same Gruff Orc Voice Guy talking to himself.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I'm still mad about what happened to Jagged Alliance : /

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm... still enjoying Fallout. Like, all of them. Even that Brotherhood of Steel spinoff action game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Blehhhps

• Options

pew pew pew

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i looked over at work and some old hispanic lady was staring at me waiting for me to notice

i recoiled in horror

how long was she there

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I don't even have enough time to play the games I enjoy.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah the world where the average consumers devices could handle a game where its a giant sandbox and the entire thing is full organic and alive is not our time.
    Maybe in the next 20 years or so.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Also! FO4
    The dialogue options show a character who is really fucking well adjusted for someone who was probably BBQing in his pre-apocalyptic backyard with his wife and infant son right before the story starts.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Went out and found some abandoned place. Got into a fight with bandits or demons or something stupid and died.

Then turned it off.

You-Ooh kgahh I'm choking on my own rage here.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

halo with me and shark

@Sir Landshark when are we haloing

think of it as an after school program to keep castles and descs out of trouble

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

What happened to Jagged Alliance?

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I don't even have enough time to play the games I enjoy.

instead you watch me play xcom

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gotta make phone calls tomorrow. That is the worst.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »

Blehhhps

Don't fight the feeling

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Also! FO4
    The dialogue options show a character who is really fucking well adjusted for someone who was probably BBQing in his pre-apocalyptic backyard with his wife and infant son right before the story starts.

Some people are really good at compartmentalizing their emotions and surviving.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    And every whiny little bitch assnugget in sanctuary needs a fatboy to the face.
    I should move my stuff, but I shouldn't have to. They're the ones that suck.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've said this before but I think Bethesda's big issue is that they are a computer game company from the 1990s that managed to survive into the modern era when nearly all of their contemporaries - Westwood, Origin, Sierra, Interplay, etc etc - are gone. Some of that is due to smart decisions - like making their RPGs playable on console at the exact moment that PS2/O.G. Xbox really started leaving computer games in the dust for a few years - and a lot of it is due to sheer luck.

And the thing is that I don't really think they've, like, learned the lessons of twenty years of forward progress in games design. Their philosophy is still the exact same thing that it was with Elder Scrolls 1 - "you should be able to play as ANYTHING and do WHATEVER YOU WANT" and because we don't have real life holodecks what that actually means in practice is that they make games that the player essentially floats through as a disconnected, bodiless observer, not really interacting with anyone or anything in a meaningful way, and it means that their idea of production values is still rooted in what would have been super cool in the 90s. Other games are giving these incredible, emotive performances and they're still like "We have VOICES!" and you fire up the game and hear three versions of the same Gruff Orc Voice Guy talking to himself.

Some of those at the end of their life were doing things differently and still went under/got bought out like Westwood.

Westwood at the end was not the Westwood of 1996. They had done some weird things. RTS being their core was their death though.

Earth and Beyond was a good game. Had some cool stuff. And was an mmo like Asheron's Call that had a changing dynamic story in the world itself.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    call of dooty modern worf hair

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Then turned it off.

You-Ooh kgahh I'm choking on my own rage here.

That is my head cannon. Guy walks out of vault. World is crazy. Wants nothing to do with it. Is never seen again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    my doctor still not calling me back

definitely wrote the wrong prescription but denied it

what the fuck is even happening

i have so many goddamn pills i don't want now

Well I mean, if you're not usin em'

Dibs.

Sorry sloth you didn't say dibs.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Yes. This is my #1 barrier to enjoying elder scrolls 4+5 and fallout 3+4. I feel no connection to my character, my character feels no connection to the world, I just run around and fuck shit up for a while and look at the graphics and then quit, having not progressed very far in the main plot and not really caring to play any further.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

halo with me and shark

@Sir Landshark when are we haloing

think of it as an after school program to keep castles and descs out of trouble

But cod is so better

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Jagged Alliance is great, it's a shame there haven't been better sequels. I think there was a remake a few years back that was pretty good but was pretty much just a remake I think, not really a new game.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    They might not be as grand as they could be, but I hope Bethesda doesn't stop making their sandbox games. Eventually technology will catch up and they can finally make one like they imagine it.
    And if they aren't around who knows who could do it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    you guys sure are playing fallout 4 wrong

S...Senpai just teleports around knocking people into the stratosphere with a baseball bat...everybody...nobody is safe from his baseball bat of justice....

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Kana wrote: »
    it does kinda feel like rpgs have gone from the only place where you could find a focus on good writing and characters, to sort of lagging behind the best of like action and adventure games.

though I haven't played witcher 3 yet

It's definitely the case that they don't have the exclusive license to good storytelling anymore

but that said two of my favorite game stories in the past year were Shadowrun HK and Pillars of Eternity

I just think that big-budget RPGs have suffered, and will probably suffer for a few more years, from ill-considered attempts to ride Skyrim's low-narrative-content coattails. It sounds like Witcher 3 was not entirely immune to this either.

• Options
    man i should just get bloops 3 but no one would ever play it with me

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Also! FO4

It's an ARE PEE GEE. I should be able to play someone other than Wasteland Sarcastic Hawke.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Yeah maybe hiring like, 10 more voice actors would benefit them.

Or like... changing the voices digitally with some sort of code piece so not everyone sounds like fucking Lucan in the first town.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Red Dead Redemption was probably the highlight of sandbox games.

Boom.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    man i should just get bloops 3 but no one would ever play it with me

If I ever decide to throw away money and join the next gen

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Also! FO4

some people are really good at writing terrible uncharacters in bad plotlines with bland dialogue, also

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

The IP's been tossed around a dozen times and there've been just a series of poor decisions from publishers regarding it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    what is lean

Promethazine/codeine syrup, a mild opiate which rose to prominence due to some particularly bad rap music and the eventual overdose death of the progenitor, DJ Screw.

This discussion has been closed.