As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Eddie Redmayne as Bri Larson as

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    i watched ant-man

michael peña and TI for mvps

his bits of recounting the hot tips from his cousin who was heard from, etc, made me pine for the edgar wright version that earth-2 got

I don't think we would have gotten this scene in the Edgar Wright version of the film.

no? what makes you think so?

It was one of the only times in the movie where it felt like a person was behind it as opposed to the council of heroes-cum-producers that keep the mcu on track, where the visuals aimed to do something unconventional, even if it's as simple as doing drunk history-style lip syncing to very personable in-universe exposition. the camera movement even felt different--it's not a one-for-one match with wright's hyperkinetic editing and visual style, but the choice reminded me of what his movie might've been like

I mean, we certainly could have gotten that scene from a Wright directed Ant-Man.

But that particular idea was Paul Rudd's & Peyton Reed's.

But no one seems to want to acknowledge any good ideas to those guys...

i know this was before I posted my clarification above, and I'm not taking it personally or somethin but take it easy y'all. trudging out the sweeping "wright did all the funny stuff" twitter blather when I'm the only one talkin bout the film is a bit overkill, i'm not sayin that. I like peyton reed. i have lots of friends who are bring it ons

I don't think anyone is attributing that to you, you just happened to remind people that it's a thing.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's definitely not just a Twitter thing either, I don't think I've ever seen someone discuss Ant-Man without Edgar Wright getting brought up in some capacity, even here.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Honestly, given how Marvel works, even if Edgar Wright hadn't left I don't think the movie would have been too different. Switch some gags around, maybe some more inventive editing and action. But he still would have had to sand off anything that was too Wright.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    There is a free Throg pet as a login reward today in Marvel Heroes if anyone plays that.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    i watched ant-man

michael peña and TI for mvps

his bits of recounting the hot tips from his cousin who was heard from, etc, made me pine for the edgar wright version that earth-2 got

I don't think we would have gotten this scene in the Edgar Wright version of the film.

no? what makes you think so?

It was one of the only times in the movie where it felt like a person was behind it as opposed to the council of heroes-cum-producers that keep the mcu on track, where the visuals aimed to do something unconventional, even if it's as simple as doing drunk history-style lip syncing to very personable in-universe exposition. the camera movement even felt different--it's not a one-for-one match with wright's hyperkinetic editing and visual style, but the choice reminded me of what his movie might've been like

I mean, we certainly could have gotten that scene from a Wright directed Ant-Man.

But that particular idea was Paul Rudd's & Peyton Reed's.

But no one seems to want to acknowledge any good ideas to those guys...

i know this was before I posted my clarification above, and I'm not taking it personally or somethin but take it easy y'all. trudging out the sweeping "wright did all the funny stuff" twitter blather when I'm the only one talkin bout the film is a bit overkill, i'm not sayin that. I like peyton reed. i have lots of friends who are bring it ons

I don't think anyone is attributing that to you, you just happened to remind people that it's a thing.

i got my back up a bit prematurely, i know. it's just, well, a response to the thread looking like its immediately circling the wagons around a marvel movie when i woulda enjoyed just talking about it
    Gustav wrote: »
    Honestly, given how Marvel works, even if Edgar Wright hadn't left I don't think the movie would have been too different. Switch some gags around, maybe some more inventive editing and action. But he still would have had to sand off anything that was too Wright.

well that's the rub, it's not an "if he hadn't left scenario" because the edgar wright-ass ant-man just wasn't possible, seeing as he left and it doesn't exist because it wasn't possible

it's more the thought of what coulda been, were the marvel form not so constrictive for certain directors.

anyhow, i'm sorry for invoking his name in conjunction with the movie for the 1000th time, but the movie is cursed with that for the short-term at least. I'm not even a mega edgar wright fan, really! it just stems from seeing something i found uniquely enjoyable, and being reminded of my overall dissatisfaction with marvel's rigid templating

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    If only it were possible though. Man what I would give to see Edgar Wright's version of some crazy superhero action. And man his editing alone can knock a film up a few levels for me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So has anyone considered Bri Larson to portray Captain Marvel?

I always liked her in movies, and it just suddenly dawned on me she maybe a good choice.

She's way too young for the part right now. Carol Danvers needs to be played by a woman at least over 30, preferably over 35.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I think Edward Wright would have made a pretty great Deadpool movie.

Most likely very different from the one we got, but very much a Deadpool movie.

I personally dont think i would have liked whatever he wanted Antman to be.

Hell i dont even know what i would have liked to see in an Antman movie, but i definately like what i saw in this Antman movie.

I especially like that he is basically a Legacy character, in the vein of Starman. (reluctant man using a <insert science tool> to do good out of necessity, take mantel of retired hero)

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    On reflection. I think Ant Man is as much as good as I'm going to find a Marvel movie. Like my general metric is on how much of a movie a remember the further I get from it. And I think Ant Man's action was pretty inventive and Michael Peña was probably the best supporting character in the entire MCU. And Paul Rudd is charisma personified.

The big cameo scene fell super flat for me though. Totally unnecessary to the plot and just served to remind us it's Marvel. That time really could have been better spent developing the villain. Because he also was a total waste.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The big cameo scene fell super flat for me though. Totally unnecessary to the plot and just served to remind us it's Marvel. That time really could have been better spent developing the villain. Because he also was a total waste.

Nah, it was there to show off Scott's skill in action against a foe who is more powerful than a random mook, without having to conjure up a lieutenant badguy for him to fight. It also set up the ending/lead in to future films.

• Options
    I think there are more elegant ways of accomplishing that. But I know I'm fairly alone in finding that scene out of place. But it totally killed any momentum for me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

Nah, it was there to show off Scott's skill in action against a foe who is more powerful than a random mook, without having to conjure up a lieutenant badguy for him to fight. It also set up the ending/lead in to future films.

Also the villian being wasted had nothing to do with screen time. There was something definatly there in terms of surrogate son and father figure at odds with each other but the focus on the villian really wasnt there.

I personally think that he isnt dead, he just is stuck in the microverse after transitioning to a smaller state in the most painful way possible

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    my only gripe with the cameo is that it just takes place in a like a grassy field with nondescript building and it looked kinda visually meh after a lil bit

other things:

going into it knowing janet was donezo, i actually liked how her whole deal was handled

i coulda gone for a touch more Pym ant-man footage (with her also involved, if possible). my ideal movie would've woven in and shown more of hank's past, i think, try and present more of an arc there

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    my only gripe with the cameo is that it just takes place in a like a grassy field with nondescript building and it looked kinda visually meh after a lil bit

other things:

going into it knowing janet was donezo, i actually liked how her whole deal was handled

i coulda gone for a touch more Pym ant-man footage (with her also involved, if possible). my ideal movie would've woven in and shown more of hank's past, i think, try and present more of an arc there

More of the Cold War Era stuff would have been super rad. And holy cow, that CGI Michael Douglas was insane.

And I dunno maybe they could have tied Pym and Lang together a bit better. How Pym reaches out to Lang was super lazy to me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I feel like if the CG Michael Douglas was on screen for ever 3 seconds longer, he would've collapsed like a melting wax figure

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    I feel kinda bad for the guys that took over for Wright, because quite often I see that anything good in the movie gets assigned to Wright regardless of who actually might've been responsible for it.
    Rudd, McKay and Reed have said that there wasn't much left of Wright's film besides the basic skeleton of "Scott is an ex con recruited by Hank Pym, the former now retired Ant-Man, to prevent a disaster."

Reed, in particular, said Hope had a way smaller role in the film originally and didn't end up inheriting the Wasp mantle.

This doesn't surprise me, given that Wright isn't the best with female characters. I mean, he's not Gunn bad, but still not great.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I always liked her in movies, and it just suddenly dawned on me she maybe a good choice.

She's way too young for the part right now. Carol Danvers needs to be played by a woman at least over 30, preferably over 35.
    While I would love this

I think you are gonna be disappointed here, Centi

I would be absolutely shocked if Marvel/Disney cast a woman a stone's throw from 40 as their first female solo lead

Like, ScarJo is 31 (was 25 when she first played Widow), Elizabeth Olsen is 27 (was 26) and Hayley Atwell is 33 (was 28).

It would be super rad to have an older, more mature leader type Carol Danvers but that ain't how Hollywood rolls

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Charlize Theron and Charlize Theron's Haircut from the Oscars Last Night for Captain Marvel 2016

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Charlize Theron and Charlize Theron's Haircut from the Oscars Last Night for Captain Marvel 2016
    Look

I just don't wanna get my hopes up

Because this is obviously the perfect choice and anything else will seem lesser

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait what did her hair look like

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    charlize-theron-oscars-2016-academy-awards-fashion-lead.jpg?w=600

Note also that her dress was fantastic

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait what did her hair look like

It looked... perfect.

Charlize-Theron-Oscars-2016-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Christian-Dior-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-3.jpg

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I think her 2013 look was just perfect
    oscars-charlize-theron.jpg

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Charlize Theron was not made for this world.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

While I would love this

I think you are gonna be disappointed here, Centi

I would be absolutely shocked if Marvel/Disney cast a woman a stone's throw from 40 as their first female solo lead

Like, ScarJo is 31 (was 25 when she first played Widow), Elizabeth Olsen is 27 (was 26) and Hayley Atwell is 33 (was 28).

It would be super rad to have an older, more mature leader type Carol Danvers but that ain't how Hollywood rolls

I choose to believe that my dreams will come true and Katheryn Winnick (currently 38 years old) will get the role

katheryn-winnick.jpg?w=780

she's so perfect

• Options
    I would love that too!

I'm just saying

Hollywood sucks

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    For the record, while I think Charlize would absolutely murder the role, I'm also hoping Captain Marvel is a significant part of the long-term plan for the MCU. For that reason, I'm kind of solidly behind Emily Blunt as Carol Danvers. At 33, she could easily express the hardened, sardonic edge of a ten-year combat vet right now, and be able to maintain the physicality of the role for an extended period of time.

Not like either pick is wrong, though - they both would absolutely be coups for the casting department.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    On reflection. I think Ant Man is as much as good as I'm going to find a Marvel movie. Like my general metric is on how much of a movie a remember the further I get from it. And I think Ant Man's action was pretty inventive and Michael Peña was probably the best supporting character in the entire MCU. And Paul Rudd is charisma personified.

see, i thought rudd was bland as hell in ant-man, and didn't connect with any of the cast

and the action just didn't do nothing for me

honestly, if it wasn't for michael douglas, i wouldn't have any good things to say

but man do i love michael douglas

deffo wasn't a fan of the big cameo, either

it just feels weird to hear how much people love it because i'm all yeah it wasn't bad, but it coulda been so much better

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Katheryn Winnick is 38?
    No, quit lying and also fuck off

• Options
    I appreciate that shows like Flash and Supergirl still show their heroes doing shit like stopping a bank robbery
    Or, pulling people out of burning cars
    It doesn't have to be world-saving heroics all the time

• Options
    edited March 2016
    powerless supergirl stopping the convenience store robbery is probably one of my favorite superhero moments in all of media

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I'd like to watch Supergirl if CBS didn't seem bound and determined to prevent me

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I appreciate that shows like Flash and Supergirl still show their heroes doing shit like stopping a bank robbery
    Or, pulling people out of burning cars
    It doesn't have to be world-saving heroics all the time

I actually do kind of miss this stuff

More MCU movies need to open with like, Thor stopping the Wrecking Crew from robbing a back

• Options

see, i thought rudd was bland as hell in ant-man, and didn't connect with any of the cast

and the action just didn't do nothing for me

honestly, if it wasn't for michael douglas, i wouldn't have any good things to say

but man do i love michael douglas

deffo wasn't a fan of the big cameo, either

it just feels weird to hear how much people love it because i'm all yeah it wasn't bad, but it coulda been so much better

I will say outside of Rudd, Douglas, and Peña everyone else was a nonstarter.

And like I dunno. I thought they were playful enough with his powers to keep stuff fun and interesting for me to remember bits of it, which is a first for MCU action. I'm certainly not like a super fan of the movie, but I mildly enjoyed it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    No, Supergirl, the Demon Core was one very specific instance of a plutonium core
    You don't just have like Another Demon Core lying around for this dude to stick in his robot suit

• Options
    Welp, Supergirl is gonna be fighting Flash for most crazy comics shit I guess from this episode
    Kara finds a Legion of Superheroes flight ring in the Fortress of Solitude.

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes, y'all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Huh

Turns out Tim Miller, the director of Deadpool, is also the CEO of Blur. The CGI studio who does most of the cool CG video game trailers you have ever seen.

He also made sure to clarify that the helicarrier at the end of Deadpool is definitely not a helicarrier you guys because that would break the contract Fox has with Marvel.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i really hope gotham makes butch into the ventriloquist

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.