Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That is kinda sorta exactly my situation. I'd like to travel, don't particularly want to travel alone, but don't have anyone to travel with.

Tell you what, you do all the research, organize three trips of varying expense and exotic locale, and I'll let you know if I feel like going on any of them.
    Sound good?

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    My wife and I are going on a cruise in March. Anyone's welcome to join us.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I am not a huge fan of cruises! And also I have... like forty-seven trips this year that somehow I have to budget for.

But I promise if anyone you guys go is near anywhere I'll be, I'll say hello.

The current list is:
    DC
    Italy maybe?
    Michigan
    Colorado
    Lithuania
    ...Chicago/Madison if I can

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind going to Prague (if I could afford it). Lots of cool castles out that way.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm going to Italy this year!

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

where ya goin in Italy??

the wife and i went to Italy last year for our honeymoon, florence and the cinque terre, with a day in Milan before flying out

it was PRETTY great

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

where ya goin in Italy??

the wife and i went to Italy last year for our honeymoon, florence and the cinque terre, with a day in Milan before flying out

it was PRETTY great

We're going to be near Florence and then I think we're spending a week in Rome. I really want to see Pompeii too.

It's for a family thing, Rachel's mom is turning 60 so her brother's paying for a house to stay in for the duration. Should be fun!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Lost Salient Where in Michigan?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I'm flying to Utah for two weeks tomorrow.

Or rather, today.

I need to be up at 7, and of course I can't get to sleep. It's now 2am and I'm considering just saving the whole sleep thing for my loooong flight.

I hate it when this happens!

Enjoy some of the most bullshit air quality I've seen in years while you're here!

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Elberta for my biff's wedding in July!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I dunno what the hell is up with visiting my girlfriend's parents but I have gotten the most debilitating stomach flu twice now.

At least this time I don't have to make an international flight.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Elberta for my biff's wedding in July!

Hey, that's right next to Frankfort where the Spartan Tubas used to have their annual camping trip.

I still remember the warm reception from the locals "This isnt a playground for you and your asshole friends!"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of course the flight is overbooked, because when was the last time a domestic US flight was not overbooked. And of course they're starting to restrict carryon items because of people's big dumb suitcases.

Bitches if you think I'm hold-checking several thousand dollars worth of laptops and field equipment - i will fucking FIGHT you for that overhead space. Today might be the day I break my personal policy and get on the plane early instead of almost last.

• Options
    ...they took everyone off the plane halfway through boarding because of delays on the Boston end.

Seriously considering just living on the beach in la.

• Options
    Had my first experience with bed bugs

Fuck bed bugs, you guys.

Fuck 'em.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    don't fuck bed bugs

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Eughh bed bugs are my nightmare

Where'd you run into them?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Oh hey travel thread, you remind me that I need to get that Korea trip booked soonish.

• Options
    Eughh bed bugs are my nightmare

Where'd you run into them?

Little one-floor hotel in Taipei.

It was nice and clean, the sheets were immaculate and freshly laundered, too. I didn't realize I had been bitten until like three days later when o finally decided the check the mirror and have a look at that persistent itch.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Folks in the DMV, we're trying to figure out a beach vacation for the summer and my wife wants to go all the way down to Myrtle Beach; I don't hate the idea in theory but I do hate that drive. Virginia beach is more expensive than we'd like for this year, anybody have any ideas about other places south of DC that are maybe a 3-4 hour drive and beachy and cool?

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Delaware beaches? Rehobeth, lewes, Bethany beach, etc... I grew up in DE and have fond memories of those beaches!

• Options
    You could go to Chincoteague!

...I've always wanted to go to Chincoteague.

We always go to Holden or Topsail but those are more like a six or seven hour drive from DC I think.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, we did that one summer! I was very into the ponies.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got a real hankering to spend some time in north America. Like north north America. Like Alaska/Canada.

Shame I will never not be poor.

• Options
    @bowtiedseal my Uncles have a second home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I will second the suggestion for Delaware beaches.

Although will add in a suggestion for Cape Henlopen state park. Gorgeous Beach, smaller waves since it's the Bay and not the ocean, less tourist trap things. Although if you're wanting boardwalk and things it's not the place for that. There is also a nature walk and a nature center for the girls. They used to have a touch tank and a living Cape Henlopen devil. But no idea if that's still the case.

Ocean city Maryland is also a nice vacation spot.

But Delaware is also sales tax free. So a dollar cheeseburger is still a dollar.

Another suggestion for a quiet Beach would be Lewes beach. Again smaller waves but not a lot of "other" tourist things. Although Lewes had great shopping and the Zwanendael (sp?) Museum which is about the settling of thearea by the Dutch. And Other fun maritime things.

But the thing to remember with the Delaware beaches is that they are all within easy driving distance to each other.

So you could stay in Rehoboth br still do day trips to the other places. If you are looking to stay in a beach house rental and not hotel, then Lingo Realty is the company to look for.

My parents live just north of the beaches and I grew up in the area so any questions, just ask.

Also if you're wanting a bit more than just beach and sand , 30ish minutes north is Dover, the state Capitol. With the Afb museum (which is amazing), the agriculture museum (more fascinating than it sounds), and the Capitol building and things. John Dickinson house is also very good. And right near there is Killens Pond state park which has a great big water playground thing.

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Flying Seattle to LA on my way home to Melbourne, I'm two seats away from Gabe

!!!!!

HUH

PLAY IT COOL ME PLAY IT COOL

No wait

Huh

BRAIN ARE YOU SURE

ameybes on
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Hey travel thread, i'd like to celebrate a few recent milestones in life with a trip to Rome. I'm absolutely not a seasoned traveler-mans and plan on going solo. If anyone here has any recommendations on where to stay, eat, experience or what not to miss i'd greatly appreciate it. Cost-wise i'm shooting for 3-5k in total. I trust folks at PA way more than google results for those questions.

edit: 8 nights there in total

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Not that you asked about timing, but do avoid the summer months, Rome becomes almost unbearably touristy.

My biggest what-not-to-miss thing is actually just outside Rome, but it's a quick and cheap trip - Ostia Antiqua, it's the ruins of an ancient Roman market town. Seems to be off the beaten path for most tourists, at least when I was there, and it's both fascinating and gorgeous. Rome is one of those places where the usual list of tourist cliches is still totally worth it (Forum, Coliseum, Vatican, etc), but if you can pick times and dates when the crowds aren't too intense it'll be more fun.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Not that you asked about timing, but do avoid the summer months, Rome becomes almost unbearably touristy.

My biggest what-not-to-miss thing is actually just outside Rome, but it's a quick and cheap trip - Ostia Antiqua, it's the ruins of an ancient Roman market town. Seems to be off the beaten path for most tourists, at least when I was there, and it's both fascinating and gorgeous. Rome is one of those places where the usual list of tourist cliches is still totally worth it (Forum, Coliseum, Vatican, etc), but if you can pick times and dates when the crowds aren't too intense it'll be more fun.

Thank you Tynic, much appreciated. I'll hit up that town for sure.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I got a real hankering to spend some time in north America. Like north north America. Like Alaska/Canada.

Maybe you could do some with staffing at a park? Or some sort of research project? Oooh, maybe something with a spirit bear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRNKLhxe5x0

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Maybe you can use the experience you're getting now for a job in Canada, somewhere down the line.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »
    Hey travel thread, i'd like to celebrate a few recent milestones in life with a trip to Rome. I'm absolutely not a seasoned traveler-mans and plan on going solo. If anyone here has any recommendations on where to stay, eat, experience or what not to miss i'd greatly appreciate it. Cost-wise i'm shooting for 3-5k in total. I trust folks at PA way more than google results for those questions.

edit: 8 nights there in total

To add to Tynic's advice: For culture and food and simply a quite pretty part of town check out Trastevere.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Check if the stuff you want to see needs pre-booking before you go (like the vatican and a bunch of galleries). Also try and hit up the touristy stuff as soon as possible in morning to avoid the crowds.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Dis' wrote: »

Check if the stuff you want to see needs pre-booking before you go (like the vatican and a bunch of galleries). Also try and hit up the touristy stuff as soon as possible in morning to avoid the crowds.

Good points, hadn't thought about pre-booking stuff, thank you.

edit: trip booked, mar 17-27. Still looking for more stuff to do, ideas welcome!

added trastavere to the list.

ICUb on

• Options
    Maaan I wanna travel

My coworker is going back to Singapore and my Boston teammate is on vacation and I'm like hey hey HEY ANYONE NEED HELP?!

Maybe I can get this new project thing off the ground and claim need to travel to test deployment viability in our other sites

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Maaan I wanna travel

My coworker is going back to Singapore and my Boston teammate is on vacation and I'm like hey hey HEY ANYONE NEED HELP?!

Maybe I can get this new project thing off the ground and claim need to travel to test deployment viability in our other sites

My best friend is coming to Japan in a month and he knows nothing about Japan and I am SO EXCITED to weird him out.

If I can't travel, at least I can traumatize people who can.

• Options
    Houk I don't think I knew you were back in the Land of the Rising Sun! I am mad jelly. I want there to be a sudden business need for me to visit our sales reps in the smaller Asia offices... Taipei, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Houk I don't think I knew you were back in the Land of the Rising Sun! I am mad jelly. I want there to be a sudden business need for me to visit our sales reps in the smaller Asia offices... Taipei, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul...

Sometimes I don't know I am either! I don't think I could handle living here long-term but boy is it fun to be an observer.

I do miss real pizza though...