As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2016
    I think we're on for an Africa trip in June, which is so exciting! @Brovid Hasselsmof i'm gonna be on your continent!

we can wave to each other from ... uh, about 2000km away.

edit: I looked up the fastest route from where we're going to approximately where you're at, and for some reason I find it really funny that Google Maps has an alert warning me that the route goes through Botswana.

tynic on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    2000km from smof through Botswana? ... Swakopmund?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2016
    Northern Namibia. Closer to Otjiwarongo.

tynic on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That is pretty rad. I would like to see Namibia.

Not sure what the deal is with Botswana. I haven't heard that it's a hazardous place.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Of course @tynic would go to BOTSwana

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Applied for my expedited passport on tuesday and it arrived today, delightfully unexpected efficiency from uncle Sam.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Mentioned my long term plan of a several week long bike trip to Canada/USA once I finish my degree (trip planned for summer 2018) and he agreed that getting a big chunk of time off in one go shouldn't be a big problem (I work at a university so whilst there is stuff to do over the summer it's a lot quieter without the students there).

And my partner is perfectly happy for me to go as well (whaddya mean she'll appreciate the peace and quiet?!).

Now to save up the money so I can afford to go. And plot a route. And get fitter as I haven't actually been cycling much lately.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ugh.

the US makes everything so complicated sometimes.

There are like 3 different things I need to apply for to get my little girl her citizenship recognized. All of them require a folder of documents, sometimes duplicates, and all of them just kind of repetitive.

but the state departments website and the consulates website are written in such a way that you have to open at least 15 tabs to get a good grasp on what all you need to have. Instead of just having one page with a list of things.

Why must the US government have so many damned layers and links and ugh. Just, make me a list of what's required.

NZ? I filled in a form on a website, ticked a few boxes, made a credit card payment and boom. got her birth certificate and her IRD number sorted. And passport will be just as easy to sort as well.

The US? I need to fill out this form, and then another form, and then find these documents and this proof that I lived in the US. Need copies of my marriage license, her birth certificate, daddy's ID, and probably the eyes of a few newts or something. and then we need to make an appointment at the consulate and have to physically take her to the consulate in the city (at the ripe old age of three weeks old) in order to process her forms. And then we wait 14 working days for her US passport and anywhere from 2-3 months for her social security number/card.

It just seems so overly and unnecessarily inefficient.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Welp.

We've got until October to get Ellie's passports sorted.

Cuase we totally just bought airline tickets to go to the US for end of October.

We were originally thinking July (my birthday, Delaware state fair) but October prices were much better. MUCH better. So Ellie will be in the US for her first Halloween. And this makes her mommy SO VERY HAPPY.

now to just get the domestic flights from West Coast to East Coast sorted and we're golden.

We even got the Skycouch (tm) for the plane ride back. For less than the prices that we were looking for in July/August.

SQUEE.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Odd request, but does anyone know of any good day hikes in Kansai? I've got one in mind already but I should have time for a couple more. I'll be there in a couple of weeks.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    If you haven't been through Kyoto before, the whole area is framed by mountains. I don't know if any one area is a full day hike, but it's definitely worth it to try to get to at least one of the mountains to check out the shrines and whatnot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hiei
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshino_Mountain
    http://openkyoto.com/sightseeing/hiking-kyoto-daimonji-yama.html
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Mount_Koya

These are all good options, and if you're gonna be there at the end of March/early April, that's prime sakura season for Kyoto, so pretty much any of the shrines/temples in the area should be pretty awesome.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    In the last 8 days I've flown from NY to Salt Lake to LA, LA to Salt Lake to Denver, Denver to Minneapolis to Dallas, Dallas to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to NY, and now NY to Raleigh and back today.

Going to the Caribbean in a couple of weeks and really, really looking forward to it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    Houk I don't think I knew you were back in the Land of the Rising Sun! I am mad jelly. I want there to be a sudden business need for me to visit our sales reps in the smaller Asia offices... Taipei, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul...

Sometimes I don't know I am either! I don't think I could handle living here long-term but boy is it fun to be an observer.

I do miss real pizza though...

Try here.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    Houk I don't think I knew you were back in the Land of the Rising Sun! I am mad jelly. I want there to be a sudden business need for me to visit our sales reps in the smaller Asia offices... Taipei, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul...

Sometimes I don't know I am either! I don't think I could handle living here long-term but boy is it fun to be an observer.

Try here.

Sorry, I meant real American pizza - cheap, greasy, and fast. This place does look good though, it's definitely going on my 'check it out when I can justify anything more than $5 for lunch' list.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »

Try here.

Sorry, I meant real American pizza - cheap, greasy, and fast. This place does look good though, it's definitely going on my 'check it out when I can justify anything more than $5 for lunch' list.

It's pretty great. The blood orange beer is especially good.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Do I want to be that tourist and try to get into a place like this in casual clothes for a good night shot of the city, or should I just suck it up and go to Tokyo Tower?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Do I want to be that tourist and try to get into a place like this in casual clothes for a good night shot of the city, or should I just suck it up and go to Tokyo Tower?

I would actually recommend not going to Tokyo Tower anyway, because a major part of a good Tokyo skyline is the tower itself, which you obviously don't get if you're actually in it. Unless they specifically enforce a dress code, Japan is super chill about how you're dressed - nobody's gonna care. That being said, if you don't end up going I'd recommend Mori Tower or other options over Tokyo Tower.

• Options
    I hit the Skytree in Sumida earlier today (the glass floor spots gave me acrophobia like whoa but the view was pretty incredible), so if the night skyline isn't worth it from the tower itself then I'll give it a pass. And enjoy a nice cocktail.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I hit the Skytree in Sumida earlier today (the glass floor spots gave me acrophobia like whoa but the view was pretty incredible), so if the night skyline isn't worth it from the tower itself then I'll give it a pass. And enjoy a nice cocktail.

I mean it could be you'd enjoy it, but I did the night skyline from Tokyo Tower thing and it just didn't do much for me. My vote always goes to a nice cocktail.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    When I was in Japan I had this apple cider/soda that I got at the convince stores. I cannot remember what it was called though. It was in a plastic bottle with an apple being peeled spiral style I think.

Any idea what that might be?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Hmm, it doesn't ring a bell. But other than the really major brands, I don't really pay any attention to what stuff is called so I'm not really an expert on that.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I hit the Skytree in Sumida earlier today

Are you okay?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Are you okay?!

He's still coming down from it...

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Are you okay?!

He's still coming down from it...

True story, I'm writing this post in freefall.

The love thread was talking about cherry blossoms so I thought I'd post this, but the conversation in there moved on, so you guys get it instead.

aptm0k1.jpg

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hopefully I'll still be able to see them when I arrive.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    We used to get afternoons off on Tuesdays so we could go wander around outside and enjoy the cherry blossoms. Just basically call it a day at noon, stop off at the local izakaya for a couple of beers and yakitori before heading home at a decent hour so we could get to work on Wednesday. Have a nap under the trees. Felt kinda bad for everybody else in the office, but I don't think anybody was salty about it.

Thems was good times.

• Options
    There should still be plenty in full bloom, or just reaching that point by the time you get there. Some trees open up earlier, some later-- you'll probably see a lot more than me in early April. If Ueno isn't looking too great, check out the ones at the Imperial Palace grounds.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Oh hey cherry blossom thread, here's some from Seoul about a year ago:
    25817407460_c4102e9a31_b.jpg

These all looked white to me the day of, but changing the white balance in the photo brought out a slight pink tint. It was also pretty overcast that day, so I'd guess the flat light would do that.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm terrified about my 31 minute layover in Houston. If I miss my flight, there's no other flight to Tokyo that day. :( I feel like I made a huge mistake.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That is one hell of a tight layover, but assuming you'll have already checked your luggage through to Japan, you may be alright. Is it a morning, midday or evening flight?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Morning, 10:21AM in Houston, departs at 10:52. C to E. I know I can get there if I haul it, but if there's a delay, I'm screwed.

I don't check my luggage, I only carry on.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Googling suggests that C to E is a reasonable walk away, and there's also a tram available for the transfer. You're definitely staying behind security, so no messing with TSA again. I would recommend flagging down an attendant during approach into IAH and seeing if they can get you off faster.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Well

I mean for what it's worth, morning flights are generally more on time than late flights

And with only carry-on you don't have to worry about that, at least?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Yeah, it's one of those 'if there's no issue I'll be fine' things. Big if, though. I know someone who did a 15 minute in Switzerland though, so...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I haaaaate tight layovers, so I feel you

I actually took a six hour layover rather than a 45-minute coming back to the U.S., just because you can always get on standby for earlier but if you miss you might be fucked

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    You can ask the flight staff to contact your connecting flight when you land if you're nervous you won't make it, although that won't help you if you can't make it at allude to delays. Alternatives would be checking to see if there are any other flights to Japan at all, travel within the country isn't too bad, even if you end up in Hiroshima it's only a 20-30 minute flight to Tokyo I think. Might screw your budget though.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Will I have to go through any passport thing since I'm going international, or not until I reach Tokyo? Minutes will be of the essence.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    You won't go through immigration and customs until you get to Japan.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Sweet. Rolling the dice it is, then. Would an airline ever transfer you to another due to a missed flight if they're at fault, or is that out of the question?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    They probably won't. Unless they're partner airlines maybe.

RUVCwyu.jpg