As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    That's not quite true. You still have to press OK twice before Windows 10 actually installs. The pop up that that says "ready to install" with a big OK button and a very small cancel button, and then you have to accept the EULA after that before it actually installs. Users are *not* waking up to see Windows 10 without any prompt.

This isn't excusing the overall strategy though. Microsoft is absolutely right in presenting the upgrade offer to people in a way that is obtrusive enough that people have to deal with it. And by deal with it I mean some kind of pop up that says "hey there is a new version of windows, it is free, do you want it? with equal choices of yes or no. They are 100% wrong in the way they are pushing it out to the general public in that once you get the pop up it is extremely hard to find the "no" option/button. That is wrong, it will never not be wrong, and there is no excuse for the exact way they are pushing it.

As for business machines in a domain enviornment: I'm a sysadmin managing almost 200 Win7 and 8.1 machines. There is a group policy object specifically for this that took me approximately 4 minutes to find and 25 seconds to deploy to my entire domain that suppresses the upgrade option. I'd have to go back and look at it specifically but I believe the language literally was along the lines of "suppress or disable windows operating system upgrade options" and it referenced windows 10. If you're running a windows domain and users are seeing this prompt, it is 100% the IT department's fault as it is something that could have been suppressed/stopped with maybe 5 minutes of effort 9 months ago. I have zero sympathy for any windows domain environment that is seeing this.

EDIT: also in a business environement: who the fuck lets every windows update install without approval? that's the second "I have no sympathy if that's how an IT department has things set up"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a ton of complaints from people saying that they're waking up to see Windows 10 without any prompt, enough to assume that something has changed about the process.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have to dig it up, and someone may have referenced it earlier. There are two KB updates you need to uninstall to avoid this.

In other news, I'm starting to hear enough bullshit that my finger is no longer hovering over the "Upgrade" button on my Win7 machine at home.

I still want to know why they couldn't just keep Win7 being the awesomesauce instead if nuking every damn thing. I'm actually considering starting to learn Linux.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I have to dig it up, and someone may have referenced it earlier. There are two KB updates you need to uninstall to avoid this.

In other news, I'm starting to hear enough bullshit that my finger is no longer hovering over the "Upgrade" button on my Win7 machine at home.

I still want to know why they couldn't just keep Win7 being the awesomesauce instead if nuking every damn thing. I'm actually considering starting to learn Linux.

It's not much consolation for either you or I, but 7 itself was an iterative product from their experience with Vista (which everyone hated) and XP (which....everyone hated, but less over time).

We'd still be on XP being "awesomesauce" otherwise.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Honestly, Win 10 isn't bad.

The elbows are sharp, I suppose.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Only reason I went to 10 is that sooner or later games are going to require it. I know a guy who doesn't like modern games so will never switch off XP at this point.

I half suspect Windows to go to a monthly subscription in 11 and back to XP/7 I go :P.

Xeddicus on
    Synthesis wrote: »

It's not much consolation for either you or I, but 7 itself was an iterative product from their experience with Vista (which everyone hated) and XP (which....everyone hated, but less over time).

And Windows 98SE was the pinnacle of computing, in 1999.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I have no problem with the good parts of Windows ten, but the bad parts, namely having to disable like 20 "telemetry" options that could get reactivated after any update and the possibility that that next update is in fact a reinstall that breaks/uninstalls half my programs...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I've been letting Spybot Antibeacon take care of all that telemetry stuff.

august on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I've been letting Spybot Antibeacon take care of all that telemetry stuff.

As long as it can. After telemetry is everywhere, it's not really guaranteed it won't get even more integrated into the system in some future update.

I simply don't want to support an OS I have to alter with third party programs so it doesn't phone home

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    wunderbar wrote: »

And Windows 98SE was the pinnacle of computing, in 1999.

Well, yeah, I mean--that's kind of a given.

This is why we don't listen to heathens you say you'll need more memory, or that a MacBook needs a touch screen.

and as for the telemetry, I'll start with the exceptions to the rule. The first is Cortana, which of course is 100% personalized, but is also the one thing that is 100% opt in. It is not turned on unless you turn it on, which is fine with me. The other exception is the advertising ID. That links a UUID to your windows store history to present you with better ads in the windows store. That is personalized to the point where a unique randomly generated number in a database is linked to things that you search for in windows store, to present you with ads that are more likely to be related to things you have a demonstrated history searching for. That is personalized to that extent. And every other internet ad network works in the same way. I'm not saying that that should make it right to everyone, but I'm just saying that in that case Microsoft isn't doing anything unique here.

the rest of the telemetry in Windows 10 is anonymous and not linked to a UUID. the telemetry is the same type of telemetry that a grocery store collects when you buy a can of soup. The grocery store knows that it sold a can of soup, it knows how many cans of soup it sold that day, and can even tell that in one sale 5 cans of that soup were sold, but it does not know exactly who bought each can of soup. This lets the grocery store plan inventory and how much of that soup to buy, and that if that can of soup used to sell well, and hasn't sold well for the last 6 weeks, maybe they should put it on sale to kick-start sales agian, but again they do not know exactly who buys that can of soup. That is how the telemetry in Windows 10 works. They don't know how many times [email protected] clicked the start button yesterday, but they do know that the start button was clicked x times yesterday by everyone with Windows 10. And this type of telemetry data has existed since Windows Vista to some extent, just that more information is collected, and more automatically now, just not more personalized.

(of course, if you use a loyalty program for that grocery store than they do know exactly what and how much you buy, but for my argument I'm assuming not using a loyalty program.)

I get the argument for the personalized telemetry and advertising bits. If you don't want to use cortana because you don't want to upload that information to Microsoft, by all means. I get that. I can even buy the advertising argument. There are absolute valid reasons to turn the personalized parts of the telemetry off and I will never tell someone that they should leave it on if they don't want it on. I do not get turning off the non personalized telemetry that Microsoft actually uses to improve Windows in meaningful ways and isn't linked to you as an individual.

The telemetry is anonymous as long as no one puts an ip to every transmission, and as long as you don't canvas finger print it.

It's absolutely horrible form that it's op in.

As for your grocery store example - I buy cash usually

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    The telemetry is anonymous as long as no one puts an ip to every transmission, and as long as you don't canvas finger print it.

It's absolutely horrible form that it's op in.

As for your grocery store example - I buy cash usually

and the grocery store still knows that someone bought that can of soup. They don't know that it was you specifically, but they know that it was sold. This is true of credit/debit card transactions as well. they do not link credit/debit card numbers to specific sales. Trust me, I know that one.

edited March 2016
    There is no way to know if this telemetry data is properly anonymous, is there?
    There's also no way to know whether it's usually anonymous, but not right now because a secret gag order forces Microsoft to de-anonymize it without telling everyone.

I don't want this data to be even collected unless I opt in. And this is why I'm only using Windows for games and helping everyone I know who wants it switch to another OS

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    There's also no way to know whether it's usually anonymous, but not right now because a secret gag order forces Microsoft to de-anonymize it without telling everyone.

I don't want this data to be even collected unless I opt in. And this is why I'm only using Windows for games and helping everyone I know who wants it switch to another OS

I could be mistaken, but in this case "another OS" would pretty much have to be Linux, no? I believe Apple has been doing this sort of mass data collection of years, well before Windows 10 was released, in Mac OS X.

Not that there's anything wrong with Linux (nor would I fault anyone who's concerned about their private data from wanting to switch--I haven't replaced my expired CC on Steam for much the same reason).

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm using Windows for games and itunes and Xubuntu for everything else right now.

I can sympathize--I invariably consider Linux every so often, but it's not practical to maintain multiple desktops, and I've got too many games that just aren't compatible with Linux, so I never go anywhere with it.

• FremFrem Registered User regular

I could be mistaken, but in this case "another OS" would pretty much have to be Linux, no? I believe Apple has been doing this sort of mass data collection of years, well before Windows 10 was released, in Mac OS X.

Not that there's anything wrong with Linux (nor would I fault anyone who's concerned about their private data from wanting to switch--I haven't replaced my expired CC on Steam for much the same reason).

To the best of my knowledge, OS X mostly started being sketchy with OS X 10.10 Yosemite, in late 2014. Prior to that, a single checkbox (circa 2009) turned off all data collection. Windows 10 came out less than a year after Yosemite.

Windows 10 has similar privacy howtos. Might be worth putting a link to one of them in the OP; it comes up frequently enough.
    I can sympathize--I invariably consider Linux every so often, but it's not practical to maintain multiple desktops, and I've got too many games that just aren't compatible with Linux, so I never go anywhere with it.

I slapped another drive in my desktop. Linux lives on that, and I don't have to fiddle with partitions. It mostly gets used for sensitive financial stuff or as a panic button when something goes horribly wrong with Windows. It was really nice when my Windows boot drive died. The last year or so was kind of phenomenal as far as game ports go (XCOM 2, Divinity: OS, Shadow of Mordor, etc), but it's got a ways to go before I'd give up Windows.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Win 10 privacy links in OP, thanks @Frem

edited March 2016
    I just realized this thread is 4 years old.

My god.

jungleroomx on
    I just realized this thread is 4 years old.

My god.

Considering, what, +90% of the internet-using world uses Windows, and historically this has largely been a troubleshooting/bitching/bitching-and-troubleshooting related speculation thread, that's a good thing, right? :o

Frem wrote: »
    I slapped another drive in my desktop. Linux lives on that, and I don't have to fiddle with partitions. It mostly gets used for sensitive financial stuff or as a panic button when something goes horribly wrong with Windows. It was really nice when my Windows boot drive died. The last year or so was kind of phenomenal as far as game ports go (XCOM 2, Divinity: OS, Shadow of Mordor, etc), but it's got a ways to go before I'd give up Windows.

I've actually considered that most recently, since my most recent desktop (via an ASUS motherboard whose model I don't remember off the top of my head) handles multiple hard drives much better than my previous one, I'm pretty sure I could salvage one of my 1 TB Caviar Blacks and turn it into a OS drive (and save myself any partition issues).

It wouldn't be for games, and that's actually okay--I don't inherently prefer Steam over non-Steam, and Linux support for my gaming preferences has gotten better in terms of Blizzard (as in you can coax stuff like Starcraft II into working on Wine, etc., but worse in terms of other series. But the thing is, I suspect my own user habits make telemetry a more minor concern--plus, I will absolutely let Kroger know exactly what I buy every week to save 10% on groceries and ten cents per gallon of petrol--next to browsing safety, and I've instead moved towards Kaspersky, password management, etc., for my finances and other sensitive stuff. I could certainly use the Linux drive to browse, but that would rule out some productivity and other non-gaming stuff, as I use some foreign language applications where Linux support is markedly inferior (or unavailable). Though I bet Kerbal Space Program would run a lot better.

I mean, I hate Chrome too, but I use it...hmmm. No one's perfect I suppose.

edited March 2016
    yea, the people in this thread nonwithstanding, I wonder how many people who bitch about Windows 10 "stealing all my personal data" use all the loyalty programs at the brick and mortar stores, or amazon, or really, anything on the internet. I had a cousin who was ready to set the laptop he upgraded to windows 10 on fire because he thought Microsoft was reading the word documents he never creates and trying to steal his cat or something. I asked him to pull out his wallet and take out every loyalty card in it, there were 6, plus his Amazon Prime subscription. He doesn't talk about it any more, and last time I saw him he was still using the laptop.

The data that Microsoft collects is far more anonymous than any of that.

wunderbar on

Until I have conclusive proof that Chrome is no longer a resource hog, I'll continue to only use it for streaming to a Chromecast. The rest of my web use at home happens on Firefox.

Until I have conclusive proof that Chrome is no longer a resource hog, I'll continue to only use it for streaming to a Chromecast. The rest of my web use at home happens on Firefox.

it comes down to addons and usage. I use firefox on my work computer, and looking at it right now, yea with about 8 tabs open it is using 700MB of ram. Until I have conclusive proof that any browser is better or worse than another in memory usage I wont' care.

At least with Firefox, I don't get "high memory usage" warnings! (I get what you're saying)

I don't get high memory usage warnings with Chrome specifically, even though I have no illusions that it isn't a memory hog (I guess that's what 16 GB of RAM and a Page File are for, right? Probably?).

I just hate how goddamn temperamental it is for me personally. Tiny adjustment to my browser settings? Page caches break. No adjustment? Page caches also break. I have to reset it more often than any other browser. It's certainly possible I'm doing it wrong, but I don't have these problems in IE or Opera.

Honestly, I just use it because of the extension support. I don't use Chromecast, since my own solution (running a long-ass HDMI cable from my bedroom to my living room) is clearly, obviously superior.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    After hearing the scare of Win10 upgrading by itself I checked my updates and saw I had the KB3035583 update and I was like NOPE and quickly uninstalled it. Granted it took like an hour for my comp to restart and manage all the files but hey whatever gets that upgrading scare away from my comp and mind.

After that I checked for updates again and it found the KB3035583 update twice and I hide both.
    I hope that update wasn't nessessary, my comp seemed to run fine after uninstalling it.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Riokenn wrote: »
    After hearing the scare of Win10 upgrading by itself I checked my updates and saw I had the KB3035583 update and I was like NOPE and quickly uninstalled it. Granted it took like an hour for my comp to restart and manage all the files but hey whatever gets that upgrading scare away from my comp and mind.

After that I checked for updates again and it found the KB3035583 update twice and I hide both.
    I hope that update wasn't nessessary, my comp seemed to run fine after uninstalling it.

If you're worried about an unexpected upgrade to Win 10 (and reports are varied about how much choice you get, so I don't blame you), I'd recommend using the GWX Control Panel to remove and block the necessary updates, tweak the necessary registry keys, and delete any Win 10 installation packages that might've been downloaded already. You can also have GWX Control Panel monitor for any changes on your system, if you want, and alert you if it finds any Win 10 update stuff resetting itself, etc.

Hiding KB3035583 is a temporary measure at best, I've found. It will continue to reset itself at intervals.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    At least with Firefox, I don't get "high memory usage" warnings! (I get what you're saying)

How about the Microsoft Edge hah ha ha ahahh ahah

you know what the funniest part is, I have a lower end asus transformer book (atom processor, it's my coffee table PC/tablet), and this is a super niche case but the only browser on the device that can do NHL.tv quad game streaming without stuttering on it is Edge.

wunderbar wrote: »

you know what the funniest part is, I have a lower end asus transformer book (atom processor, it's my coffee table PC/tablet), and this is a super niche case but the only browser on the device that can do NHL.tv quad game streaming without stuttering on it is Edge.

I was hoping it'd be on part with Chrome or whatnot, but man... it's just too barebones for me.

Interesting you found a use for it, though.

oh yea it's pretty much the only thing I use it for, but honestly the barebones thing is kind of nice sometimes. If it had bookmark syncing it's probably be perfectly fine for 99% of the time. I'm looking at my chrome install right now and I could probably kill 80% of the extensions I have and not miss a thing.

I have very few extensions. HTTPS everywhere, Adblock, NoScript, you know, the basics. Edge was basic but it was a little too basic. If it improves over the coming months and manages to not be a gluttonous memory hog like Chrome or FF, then I'd think about switching.

edited March 2016

Hey man! It's not like it's Safari man, the Netscape of the 64-bit personal computing era. :P

(Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing how those numbers stack up. Last I checked, Safari was at 5% overall, which...is pretty much what I'd expect?)

Synthesis on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »

If you're worried about an unexpected upgrade to Win 10 (and reports are varied about how much choice you get, so I don't blame you), I'd recommend using the GWX Control Panel to remove and block the necessary updates, tweak the necessary registry keys, and delete any Win 10 installation packages that might've been downloaded already. You can also have GWX Control Panel monitor for any changes on your system, if you want, and alert you if it finds any Win 10 update stuff resetting itself, etc.

Hiding KB3035583 is a temporary measure at best, I've found. It will continue to reset itself at intervals.

Thanks a lot for that program @TetraNitroCubane

I am less paranoid about an auto upgrade now. ^^

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited March 2016
    I just literally had the perfect example of how much I hate Chrome:

1) Router needs to be restart. Okay, fine, power cycle router.
    2) Go back to Chrome browser.
    3) CHROME CAN'T ACCESS GOOGLE: DNS ADDRESS CANNOT BE FOUND.
    4) But of course fucking Internet Explorer does it just fine.

I am literally at a loss for words. I can fix it, but seriously, this is not something that should happen. It's not like its the most popular website on the fucking planet and their own browser.

Synthesis on

I am literally at a loss for words. I can fix it, but seriously, this is not something that should happen. It's not like its the most popular website on the fucking planet and their own browser.

I've come to find that web browsers are either unwieldy and ridiculously bloated for specifics 99.9% of people don't need (I'm looking at you, Opera), poorly optimized or built atop a towering spire of patchwork code (Safari, IE), too-barebones-to-use (Edge, K-Meleon), or greedy system hogs (Firefox, Chrome).

There really isn't a great web browser in existence.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

I've come to find that web browsers are either unwieldy and ridiculously bloated for specifics 99.9% of people don't need (I'm looking at you, Opera), poorly optimized or built atop a towering spire of patchwork code (Safari, IE), too-barebones-to-use (Edge, K-Meleon), or greedy system hogs (Firefox, Chrome).

The problem is that there are a million things outside the browser that can go wrong, and it's in developers best interests to make their browser foolproof. Like, for example, the Chrome team found that a huge amount of reported HTTPS errors were ultimately the result of users changing the system clock because they were trying to cheat in free-to-play timer games like Candy Crush. So now we can't actually trust the time reported by the operating system anymore. This is the gaping maw of the rabbit hole that browser developers have to go down.

Or as another example, Chrome takes up a lot of memory because each tab is a near independent instance of the browser, so if the sandbox ever leaks (in theory) an evil website running in one tab won't be able to access your banking info in another tab. Mozilla is working on a similar approach. There are really good reasons why things are the way they are!

Frem on
    Frem wrote: »

The problem is that there are a million things outside the browser that can go wrong, and it's in developers best interests to make their browser foolproof. Like, for example, the Chrome team found that a huge amount of reported HTTPS errors were ultimately the result of users changing the system clock because they were trying to cheat in free-to-play timer games like Candy Crush. So now we can't actually trust the time reported by the operating system anymore. This is the gaping maw of the rabbit hole that browser developers have to go down.

Or as another example, Chrome takes up a lot of memory because each tab is a near independent instance of the browser, so if the sandbox ever leaks (in theory) an evil website running in one tab won't be able to access your banking info in another tab. Mozilla is working on a similar approach. There are really good reasons why things are the way they are!

That comes as absolutely no surprise to me.

Ethernet protocols and the like are an absolute mess.