As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TOURNAMENT ON] Eye of Judgment (ZORAK15 WINS)

• Options
    ExhaleExhale Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you lost in round 2 or your opponent did not show up in round 2, then you are out. I am pretty sure it is simple as that, and I do not see the point of arguing about it. It is probably not your fault that your opponent did not show, but the rules stated that no one gets a free pass, no matter what. So, instead of complaining go work on your deck so that when it is time for the next tournament, you won't be eliminated at all. That way you have no reason to complain.

Exhale on
  • Options
    CHA0SiUMCHA0SiUM Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    bfiggins wrote: »
    spydey wrote: »
    By the way, I've been having a problem. Whenever the PS3 comes online (not just for EoJ), it kicks everything else in the house offline - just for a second. Then everything can get back online together. Anyone else get that?

Sorry for going a bit off-topic (I know someone posted a link to a PS3 connection thread), but try reserving IP addresses based on MAC addresses for your PS3 and other devices, if you can. I did that last night for our computers, our PSP's, the PS3 and 360 and the printer, and haven't seen any more disconnects / reconnects.

CHA0SiUM on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Icepick wrote: »
    So theoretically speaking, if a persons opponent isn't contactable in any way, what is stopping the person who DID show up from just saying that they won the match, if you are going to eliminate people who's opponents are no-shows?

In theory, nothing except your honesty.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Scynix, as a previous runner of tournaments for Magic, FMATCG, WH40K, etc... I can say one thing, no matter what, the person who runs the tournament makes the rules. If the rules are not clear enough, it's up to the player to make sure he/she understands fully. Also, the tournament runner has the last word, period. He's not singling you out, he's just holding to what he intended. You keep complaining about what he typed EXACTLY, when he actually implied something different that what you assumed. Don't assume next time, ask.

It sucks, I know, my oponent didn't show either. I knew what the outcome of that would be, since I think I read into the rules a bit more, and Tw4win implied it in one of his other posts as well. Anyways, this is a no-prize tournament for FUN. Hopefully next time, things will run smoother and people won't be no-shows.

EDIT: I type slow :(

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    CHA0SiUM wrote: »
    spydey wrote: »
    By the way, I've been having a problem. Whenever the PS3 comes online (not just for EoJ), it kicks everything else in the house offline - just for a second. Then everything can get back online together. Anyone else get that?

Sorry for going a bit off-topic (I know someone posted a link to a PS3 connection thread), but try reserving IP addresses based on MAC addresses for your PS3 and other devices, if you can. I did that last night for our computers, our PSP's, the PS3 and 360 and the printer, and haven't seen any more disconnects / reconnects.

Same, I'm a bit off topic as well, but it's good for everone to see.

On some networks (like mine with my old D-link router), the PS3's Media Center will kill the router by bombing the sh** out of it. Not sure exactly what the reason is, but I switched to a Linksys router, and it's working again. Not that I really use it any ways...

So, if you aren't using it (and you probably aren't) turn off the Media Center option in your PS3's settings.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    brandbrand Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Hey all - Thanks for a great tournament, and special thanks to Kobe for arranging. Great match whitewolfjm, look forward to playing again, tournament or not. All, please feel free to buddy me for some EOJ or what have you. My PSN = Ownerator After this tournament is done, I want another :-) !!! Cheers!

brand on
  • Options
    rklllamarklllama MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It looks like we're pretty much through with all this talk about getting DQed from Round 2 and on, but as far as my own continued participation in the tournament is concerned, I think Dw4win makes a distinction fairly clear here:

"Well, technically you're both out if you don't come up with a solution. If you read my notes for round 2 I stated that I wasn't going to give anyone a pass for not being able to connect or contact their opponent.

I'd keep trying, if that doesn't work then one of you needs to concede the match to the other or you'll both be out of the tourney."

My opponent forfeited to me because when our match started he had camera trouble, so it was my understanding that I advanced to Round 3 and the error was in my double-scheduling, not my advancement. I assume that Scynix got eliminated because he wasn't forfeited to by his opponent. Thankfully the double-scheduling error made things balanced so its as if I didn't miss a match in Round 2.

I think Dw4win has made it clear that without a forfeit you cannot advance. So my question now is, can an opponent, knowing its his fault the match won't be played, forfeit to another opponent so that his opponent can advance, or are forfeits out too?

Just want clarification for the remainder of the tournament. (Of course we may want to change things up for future rounds even more, because it would be lame for one person to advance to the final match on a forfeit, or some similar situation.)

rklllama on
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I forgot that I was in check. I could have rotated my assassin with Beguiling Fog and attacked...but, meh. Too little and too late, especially with my lycanthrope getting possessed. I'm just pissed at myself for forgetting the rules of the game. I wish the game reminded you more when you were in check...then again, it goes 'CHECK', puts up a glowing 'check' sign on every space, and speeds up the music. Maybe a big warning should come up whenever I try to play a card - "Dude, you know you HAVE to kill something this round, right?"

However, I do have to say that this was, by far, my most effortless match on a technical level. I went online, spydey joined right in, we got voice chat running, it was great. It was a big change from my previous match, where it took like a half hour just to connect to each other. Weird.

I just troubleshooted someone's home network where that was happening. The router was assigning the external IP to the internal device (PS3 in this case). The problem was with the router and modem not working together properly. A firmware update on the router fixed it. Of course, your case could be completely different.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EinherjarEinherjar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PA: Einherjar vs Fuwaba
    PSN: LegendsEnd vs Fuwaba

Win: LegendsEnd

Good games Fuwaba! Although there was definitely a lot of luck involved on my part, two-three dodges on my white cubic and no +2 on your ascetic :P Perhaps we can play again sometime or during another tournament.

Einherjar on
  • Options
    FuwabaFuwaba Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Einherjar wrote: »
    Good games Fuwaba! Although there was definitely a lot of luck involved on my part, two-three dodges on my white cubic and no +2 on your ascetic :P Perhaps we can play again sometime or during another tournament.

Good guy to play EOJ with, but I'm never getting into a coin toss with you. You totally deserved the win though.

Except for the damn cubic luck... You didn't deserve that! It wasn't a game breaker though. Also, I'd pretty much lost the turn before I played the ascetic; I'd gambled (poorly) on your not summoning to the upper-right forest. Curses!

Tournaments aside, we really should start some sort of league. I've got all these new contacts on my PSN list, but I don't really feel like I know anyone well enough yet to start inviting them into matches. Some sort of league structure that leveraged our contacts with forced matches would be keen. (And I'm not volunteering to organize one...)

Fuwaba on
  • Options
    LupusYonderboyLupusYonderboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LupusYonderboy vs. Larenden

Winner: Larenden

I'll see you all next tourney, hopefully there will be better chances of actually connecting to opponents.

LupusYonderboy on
    "My other car is a Lupus!"
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I thought of a good way of playing if you have connection issues:
    Simply call the other person and play a local PvP match on each PS3, performing each other's moves on your own local game. Of course this would only work if you have good and common card libraries...
    I've only bought a few boosters but almost have a complete extra starter deck (just minus a couple rares).

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Round 3 Result:

Zorak15 -PSNID : GunsmithCat VS. Crescens - PSN: Cray

Winner: Zorak15 -PSNID : GunsmithCat

Crescens/Cray provided an excellent opponent and an excellent conversation. We had one of the more pleasant matches I've played.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    CrescensCrescens Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Insomnia be damned, I can't sleep! Zorak15/GunsmithCat was an awesome opponent and is staying on my friends list.

He bested me verily. There were 2 things that struck me odd about this battle though. 1.) We connected without any problems. 2.) He was neither racisist or socially bankrupt. This pleased me greatly. I am tired of being called a Mexican Jew Lizard and what not. Warhawk, I am looking at your players. You know who you are...

His next opponent, beware. He has many cunning tricks! With cards like !@#$#$@#$ and @#$^$%@# who couldn't win! Oh the suspense. Love it.

Get him on voice chat. He's fun to talk to. Gotta go and try to sleep. It was fun participating! Next tourney should definitely allow decks to be modified with our hard found boosters! I have a custom Fire deck that needs it's tires rotated...on my oppenents face! High five! Anyone? No High Five? Screw you guys...*slams door and walks away*

Crescens on
  • Options
    FartwinkyFartwinky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Crescens wrote: »
    Next tourney should definitely allow decks to be modified with our hard found boosters! I have a custom Fire deck that needs it's tires rotated...on my oppenents face! High five! Anyone? No High Five? Screw you guys...*slams door and walks away*

if anyones on right now ill playem with a non starter deck im dying to try my control against another fire deck. PSN Hotchik69

Fartwinky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ummm rkllama went llama on me and he ist no where to be founds. Help would be appreciated as I dont wanna get dq'ed and we confirmed and triple confirmed this time. Please dont boot me rkllama! please show and let me have a chance or at least forfeit... im gonna wait another 30 min then im gone and ill be back on same time tommorow just in cae. Otherwise i would REALLY appreciate you forfeiting.

Fartwinky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fartwinky wrote: »
    ummm rkllama went llama on me and he ist no where to be founds. Help would be appreciated as I dont wanna get dq'ed and we confirmed and triple confirmed this time. Please dont boot me rkllama! please show and let me have a chance or at least forfeit... im gonna wait another 30 min then im gone and ill be back on same time tommorow just in cae. Otherwise i would REALLY appreciate you forfeiting.

Honestly at this point in the tournament people need to be paying attention because I don't want to have to DQ people because their opponent when AWOL. However, I do have to stick to the rules...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    well after my wife yelled at me and went to bed by herself and me losing my sleep for work, btw i teach 10 year old school children which requires just a BIT of energy, i played him again and this time beat him even faster than i was doing before. I won

Fartwinky PSN: Hotchik69 WINS

GG Rklllama but you do owe me a few favors the wife normally provides if ya know what im sayin... I think ya do...:lol:

Fartwinky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fartwinky wrote: »

GG Rklllama but you do owe me a few favors the wife normally provides if ya know what im sayin... I think ya do...:lol:

You need someone to iron your pants. :lol:

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hey, really sorry Fartwinky about my lateness. But like I messaged you, it wasn't all my fault. I was a little late getting to my PS3 this morning, but when I turned it on I saw what I imagine all of us here in the states are seeing: firmware update required. Anyway, I had to download before I could sign in, and it took over an hour to download.

Also, I wouldn't be too cocky about that first match Fartwinky. Certainly you were putting me in check with frequency, but I think we all know that check does not equal check mate, even if you've done it ten times. You may have forgotten, but when the game cut out you had two cards in your hand and one mana, whereas I had five mana and five or six cards in my hand. I was about to roll. That said, in our rematch after the internet cut out on one of us I screwed myself over, and you hammered me for it. Nicely done, congrats, I'm glad no one had to forfeit or get DQed. (Although for the record if we couldn't get a second game in I was planning to forfeit, I just didn't want to say it in case that meant we wouldn't do what it takes to actually play the damn thing.)

I'm gonna spend the next week hitting my head with a stick for how badly I screwed up in that second match. I made I rookie mistake, and you took that mistake and beat me around the battefield with it. Nicely done.

P.S. Sorry, I don't substitute for wives. ; )

rklllama on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I had some thought about future tournaments too. Don't know what its like for the rest of you, but I just really hate scheduling matches. In all honesty I'd prefer one of two things. For smaller tournaments you could always set a time and do them in one night, but then what about larger tournaments? While this way is flexible, I may even prefer it if when the next one starts we just say, Round 1 is going to played played Tuesday at 8, EST (or whatever); Round 2 Friday at 8 EST; Round 3 Tuesday at 8; Round 4 Friday at 8 again; that way you have set time, and before joining you know when the matches will be and you'll be set. Of course this doesn't mean you have to be a hard ass. You can always tell people they don't have to play at the scheduled time, but if one person wants to reschedule its on them--meaning, if they other person doesn't want to cooperate they don't have to, and the other person can be forced to forfeit. Just a thought to run with, maybe everyone else would hate it, but I personally would like it. I made all my matches (except when I was late cause of the system update), its just that there was way too much time spent working away at the PS3 message system or scheduling stuff through PMs here. Comments?

rklllama on
  • Options
    PimpbotPimpbot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't like the idea of a set time. Being that this is an online game, people are in different time zones, so a good time in one time zone might be a bad time in another time zone. I think people just need to take this tournament more seriously and realize that they had committed to play the game within a certain amount of time (within 48 hours). If a person can't commit 100% then they should not have joined the tournament.

Pimpbot on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I understand the mystique about committing 100%. But, quite simply, why should we try to make people commit 100% to an online tournament of Eye of Judgment that is casual and just for fun? Yes, some people may get screwed by the time. But I look back at all the time I spent arranging games around my schedule and I just sort of thought, why not just set a time, and then when I see a tournament posting I can look at it and say, 'yup, I can make that time,' or 'no, I'll play the next one.' I really enjoyed this thing when I was actually playing the matches, the hassle just seemed pretty excessive. But hey, I'm just one guy, I made the post to see what everyone else thought. It just seemed like a good idea tome.

rklllama on
  • Options
    zigxzigx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    rklllama:
    It seems like a good idea. I mean look at any TCG tournament on a huge scale. There is a set time for each tournament and you can look at the schedule and decide whether or not it meets your time constraints. However, that being said, this is not a typical TCG and with the online element, it makes the availability to play more flexible for people, for better or for worse.

I think you are off to a good start, but I offer a tweak to your original suggestion. Since we all are in different time zones, why not require everyone to put in two additional pieces of information. You could ask players to put in their time zone along with days/times that work best with them. Once you pair rounds you could pair people who share these preferences. Sure it won't work for 100% of the people, but I'd imagine you'd be able to get most of the people paired this way.

Of course this is also not without it's problems. In a swiss style tournament, where players play every round depending on their win/loss record, it would only work for intial pairing. As you may have a case where the scheduling works out perfect for two players but one is 5-0 and the other is 0-5, which would mean they probably shouldn't be playing each other.

So all in all, a good suggestion, I just think without any tweaking, it's unrealistic to assume all people can conform to one set time. Also even though it's casual and just for fun, doesn't mean that certain players will be able to just walk away from it. I mean just think if you have all these players who are willing to go through great lengths to play (match over the phone ring a bell?) for no prizes. Imagine what a fit people will throw if it actually gets to the point where there are prizes and such and they can't play simply because they can't play during the one alloted time slot.

zigx on
    The Unwound Show: BSing about Anime and Video Games 3 hours every Sunday at 5PM PST on Japan-a-Radio!

Also blatantly plugging my fundraiser site for Team in Training. Help wipe out Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood cancers!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    As an FYI, there looks to be an update to EOJ being published tomorrow. EOJ 1.01 will "optimize the network connection for online mode"

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    rklllama wrote: »
    Oh, I had some thought about future tournaments too. Don't know what its like for the rest of you, but I just really hate scheduling matches. In all honesty I'd prefer one of two things. For smaller tournaments you could always set a time and do them in one night, but then what about larger tournaments? While this way is flexible, I may even prefer it if when the next one starts we just say, Round 1 is going to played played Tuesday at 8, EST (or whatever); Round 2 Friday at 8 EST; Round 3 Tuesday at 8; Round 4 Friday at 8 again; that way you have set time, and before joining you know when the matches will be and you'll be set. Of course this doesn't mean you have to be a hard ass. You can always tell people they don't have to play at the scheduled time, but if one person wants to reschedule its on them--meaning, if they other person doesn't want to cooperate they don't have to, and the other person can be forced to forfeit. Just a thought to run with, maybe everyone else would hate it, but I personally would like it. I made all my matches (except when I was late cause of the system update), its just that there was way too much time spent working away at the PS3 message system or scheduling stuff through PMs here. Comments?
    I like the time-span setup that we're currently using. It gives more people a chance to play. I do think that in the future the matching should favor similar time zones though.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PimpbotPimpbot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Matching up time zones whenever possible could help out a lot, but eventually people from different time zones would have to compete.

Pimpbot on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    abotkin - PSN: abotkin VS. zigx - PSN: zigx

Winner: zigx

It was a good match, but I miscalculated early and he beat me. We played again afterwards and after finding out (since neither of us knew) that magic bypasses protection, he beat me again. Good matches both times though.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    As an FYI, there looks to be an update to EOJ being published tomorrow. EOJ 1.01 will "optimize the network connection for online mode"

I hope they add private rooms.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    abotkin wrote: »
    We played again afterwards and after finding out (since neither of us knew) that magic bypasses protection, he beat me again. Good matches both times though.

I didn't know that either. Great tip.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Finally got connected to an opponent and what happens? My camera craps out in the middle of the match, three times in a row!

I concede the match to Dalancer. Best of luck. Would like to see a fellow Canadian take the tournament.

I'm about ready to sell this game I'm so pissed with the technical difficulties. If changing my NAT type from 3 to Type 2 doesn't solve these problems it's so long EoJ.

MuttonChops/Mutton_Chops vs DaLancer

DaLancer wins

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    DalancerDalancer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, that third game was going pretty well (I wanted to see what Mutton would've done with the 5 mana he had on his last turn). So now I am in the top 11, right? Hows this is going to work...

Dalancer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Finally got connected to an opponent and what happens? My camera craps out in the middle of the match, three times in a row!

I concede the match to Dalancer. Best of luck. Would like to see a fellow Canadian take the tournament.

I'm about ready to sell this game I'm so pissed with the technical difficulties. If changing my NAT type from 3 to Type 2 doesn't solve these problems it's so long EoJ.

MuttonChops/Mutton_Chops vs DaLancer

DaLancer wins

See my post above. Supposedly there will be a patch released for the game Friday that will improve network performance...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ddubs14ddubs14 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks like we'll have another 2 people out in me and WanderingJester ; ;

I've been waiting all night and now PSN seems to be down for the count. Oh well, it was a fun ride while it lasted. Can't wait for Round 2 when my local game store finally stocks up on some booster packs!

ddubs14 on
  • Options
    WanderingJesterWanderingJester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am going to forfeit my match and give the win to ddubs14. He doesn't deserve to be booted from the tournament because of me. I was dealing with some stuff that made it so I couldn't get on. It's not his fault.

WanderingJester forfeits.

WINNER: ddubs14

WanderingJester on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    damnet i run protection and now you wanna tell everyone that magic goes through it THANKS... Now I've gotta redo my deck... stupid people and their stupid learning...

Fartwinky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    See my post above. Supposedly there will be a patch released for the game Friday that will improve network performance...

While the EoJ online definitely has some issues, I am no longer convinced that all my troubles can be attributed solely to EoJ. I've recently been having trouble connecting to opponents in GHIII as well. I performed a connection test yesterday and when it was complete I got this screen:
    (Borrowed from Nekon on PS3forums.com)
    nat3gs1.jpg
    This may explain why camera has been crapping out mid game.
    When you do a google search for NAT Type 3, rather than getting sites with definitions and technical jargon, all the top search results are PS3 related. Apparently this is a very common and widespread problem.

Check out Nekon's Tutorial on how to switch your NAT type to Type 2

I'm gonna give this a shot sometime over the long weekend.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Round 3 Complete

Expect Round 4 pairings later this morning.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ROUND 4 PAIRINGS ARE POSTED

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zigxzigx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    abotkin wrote: »
    abotkin - PSN: abotkin VS. zigx - PSN: zigx

Winner: zigx

It was a good match, but I miscalculated early and he beat me. We played again afterwards and after finding out (since neither of us knew) that magic bypasses protection, he beat me again. Good matches both times though.

It was a good game abotkin! I was worried that the White Cubic was going to go to a Sun God and that's what it was and once you got my white cubic, you had me in a corner for awhile. Just more testament to the balance of the game. It's never over until the 5th creature is summoned :)

zigx on
    The Unwound Show: BSing about Anime and Video Games 3 hours every Sunday at 5PM PST on Japan-a-Radio!

Also blatantly plugging my fundraiser site for Team in Training. Help wipe out Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood cancers!