As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    You know, I actually really liked the Virtual Boy controller. It had some weight issues because hah 6 AA batteries, but it felt good to hold and all of the buttons were easily reachable.

I have to say this sort of positive thing because my thoughts on that theoretical NX controller would probably earn me a warning from one of our hard-working and under appreciated mods.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    This looks horrible! ARGH! I liked the Wii U's gamepad alot but something like this is starting to head into cell phone territory. I won't use any controller that has touch screen buttons. If they allow other controllers I will probably be ok, but if not then I guess the Wii U will have been my last console.

What worries me even more is that this might somehow be the next handheld. I also could not get into a handheld with touch screen buttons, thats the whole reason I refuse to play mobile games. I wonder if it might just be a case of "the future is here, and it's all touch screens now" and I'm just too old to adapt.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    These new leaks are interesting if they aren't just the same thing from before with the demo blacked out.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'll wait until it comes out until I pass judgement.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    You know, this is EXACTLY the reason Nintendo didn't want leaks. If the controller is introduced like that, the shitstorm is going to be huge.

And that is the reason every leakeé should be shipped to Siperia, try leaking shit there. I hate those guys, they could ruin a company.

And the Reddit guy has a Finnish nickname, and the laptop layout is Swedish... DICE perhaps?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    We're 2 for 2 for fake leaks so far...

Yeah...

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    If that controller is introduced in any way, it will be bad

It can be introduced to me by Scarlett Johansson on a silver platter next to some filet mignon and the response would be "no thank you

Please return with some buttons"

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Yeah...

What do you mean? (for what it's worth, I do hope this is fake though)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote: »
    You know, this is EXACTLY the reason Nintendo didn't want leaks. If the controller is introduced like that, the shitstorm is going to be huge.

And that is the reason every leakeé should be shipped to Siperia, try leaking shit there. I hate those guys, they could ruin a company.

And the Reddit guy has a Finnish nickname, and the laptop layout is Swedish... DICE perhaps?

Actually a leak now is the best thing that could happen for it, people will get their rage out early and then can go into E3 with an open mind to have their minds changed, to see the non-devkit version that's way better and has physical buttons............

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This is one of those cases where they need to show this in action to justify it. Then maybe I'll think it's great or not. But at face value, I can't see them designing a controller that lacks the ABXY standard now that they're pretty into the whole virtual console thing. And I'm all for radical designs and prototypes and stuff. Don't know until you try and all that. But why would you want a controller with a screen where 25% of it is covered by your palms?

Nintendo has always designed their controllers for their games. So if this is true, then I need to see the game as well.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah...

The first controller reveal was confirmed fake, and the Wii U production being cancelled was confirmed fake.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    This is one of those cases where they need to show this in action to justify it. Then maybe I'll think it's great or not. But at face value, I can't see them designing a controller that lacks the ABXY standard now that they're pretty into the whole virtual console thing. And I'm all for radical designs and prototypes and stuff. Don't know until you try and all that. But why would you want a controller with a screen where 25% of it is covered by your palms?

Nintendo has always designed their controllers for their games. So if this is true, then I need to see the game as well.

Yeah, I think it's weird. Granted, there are ways this could be real and they could still do something like that (i.e. the whole Wiimote attachment thing). If it's real, I think we are missing a huge portion of the picture.

Edit:

Yeah...

The first controller reveal was confirmed fake, and the Wii U production being cancelled was confirmed fake.

Was it? I thought people just assumed it was fake. I don't recall seeing confirmation of that.

The production thing was denied by Nintendo, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true (perhaps it's not something they want to announce right away for stock reasons?)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Companies can get into a lot of trouble if they outright lie that explicitly. It's why "no comment" is a thing.

• Options
    The first controller reveal was confirmed fake

What do you mean, the first? The controller that looked just like this from a few days ago? How was it confirmed fake?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I have been happily surprised by every weird, stupid-looking controller Nintendo has unleashed upon the world that I can think of, except for the N64's three-handled monster. I thought the Gamecube controller looked confusing and uncomfortable. I thought the Wii's controller looked even more uncomfortable, even more confusing, and super impractical. I thought the Gamepad looked like a giant, unwieldy tablet. Each time I've been proven wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

So, on the one hand, who am I to judge? Nintendo clearly knows a lot more about innovating in the field of video game controllers than I do. On the other hand, every time I look at this new proposed controller, my mind reels. It looks terrible. I'm eager to be proven wrong again.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I dunno about that comment shutting down the production rumour. The rumour says production will cease at the end of this year. The statement was they're not stopping production. Implying they're not stopping right now. When that wasn't what the rumour was. :P

It's a tidy bit of plausible deniability.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Somehow yet another pic has surfaced. About the same as the rest.

http://i.imgur.com/YsGkiV7.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2016
    The white similar controller looks like an earlier version or something.

Oh, and someone already connected the dots and says that the leakeé is from Massively. Apparently that reflection of a tree is the same tree you can see in the picture of Massively building... Seriously, that would be pretty awesome if it really was from there, true real life Matlock at work :D

And one thing, the leakeé says that the controller could change, it is just a dev kit afterall.

Anyone remember reactions for Wii's controller scheme? And in the end, one of the best controllers of all time. So good that even Sony tried to mimick it...

EDIT. Massive was the company, part of Ubisoft apparently and Ubi has had a lot of sneaky sheeptitty wiggling leakeés...

Grebnu on
  • Options
  • Options
    Why is Hyrule Minecraft on the side that's supposed to be seen as negative?

That game's had a really weird progression, community-wise, hasn't it. I remember being obsessed with it in college but I guess now it's for 10 year olds only? Is that just because of the merch?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Remember guys label your confidential property.

Nobody could be this stupid for some internet cred.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The first controller reveal was confirmed fake

What do you mean, the first? The controller that looked just like this from a few days ago? How was it confirmed fake?

I honestly don't know why people keep taking rumors at face value. Mew isn't under the truck.

Edit: I will contribute two things to make this post a little more constructive.

1. I do believe the NX controller with have a touch-screen with tactile feedback.

2. I don't believe the final product will look like that.

Zython on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I look forward to the eventual curb stomping Nintendo's legal team will perform on NDA breakers if any of this was real.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Why is Hyrule Minecraft on the side that's supposed to be seen as negative?

That game's had a really weird progression, community-wise, hasn't it. I remember being obsessed with it in college but I guess now it's for 10 year olds only? Is that just because of the merch?

I dunno, but the middle branch is the one that cracked me up the most.

• Options
    Latest rumor is that it's designed to snap into different attachments like a classic controller shell, and one of the attachments is a VR headset.

With a shape like that? You know what, I could see it.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Companies can get into a lot of trouble if they outright lie that explicitly. It's why "no comment" is a thing.

Meh, Nintendo's lied about upcoming products and changes all the time. I recall them making comments in interviews denying stuff mere days before they turned around and did the press release.

• Options
    VR is a thing I wish would just die already. I do not care at all. Worse fad than 3D.

• Options
    VR is a thing I wish would just die already. I do not care at all. Worse fad than 3D.

I would say give one of the modern devices like Oculus a try before dismissing it, but I don't know if you have poor eyesight or only one eye or something that would prevent your enjoyment of it.

I'm really looking forward to it.

• Options

I would say give one of the modern devices like Oculus a try before dismissing it, but I don't know if you have poor eyesight or only one eye or something that would prevent your enjoyment of it.

I'm really looking forward to it.

I wear glasses which probably means it won't work regardless, but I dunno. I just don't see it as something that sounds at all fun. I don't want a big thing strapped to my head and none of the games I've seen them peddling really look all that interesting to me.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    I believe in Nintendo's ability to make good games with whatever goofy controller they put out, but like... they must realize they're going to fall down the rabbit hole of no third party support again, right?

going to? Why the future tense?

• Options
    Remember guys label your confidential property.

Nobody could be this stupid for some internet cred.

Nintendo labels devkits confidential.

• Options
    I don't understand why everyone says that the shape would be really uncomfortable? I mean, the corners of it look round/long enough to actually support your fingers, unlike in the controllers of PS4 or XBox (or even Nintendo?).

Oh, and I totally forgot that we Finnish have also similar keyboard layout than Swedish. Quantum Break for NX confirmed! Or Angry Birds 124...

If that is real and from Finnish person, there is just a few dev houses large enough to get the dev kit. It could be a Finn working in a foreign studio, though.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Latest rumor is that it's designed to snap into different attachments like a classic controller shell, and one of the attachments is a VR headset.

People still wish Nintendo had done head-tracking stuff with the Wii way back when.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

People still wish Nintendo had done head-tracking stuff with the Wii way back when.

I remember those videos way back when.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Plot thickens...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=lmVh0eENSko

Some guys with insider info say that those are fake...

EDIT. PlayerEssence video, just came.
    EDIT2. And those in-ear headphones are from Xiaomi, I have those (my wife, I mean) and I have these better versions:
    mi.com/en/headphones3/

Those whites are from youngsters, they are like 7€ and pretty durable. Awesome sound for cheap in-ears, both of those.

EDIT3.
    And if those pics are indeed fake (and from Finland), I know a forum where a lot of ppl has those Chinese headphones. They are not very common in FInland, because they have to be shipped from China. Maybe I ask around a little...

EDIT234+21.
    In-ears might be something else after all, not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

Grebnu on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    That looks stupidly fun.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Grebnu wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone says that the shape would be really uncomfortable? I mean, the corners of it look round/long enough to actually support your fingers, unlike in the controllers of PS4 or XBox (or even Nintendo?).

Oh, and I totally forgot that we Finnish have also similar keyboard layout than Swedish. Quantum Break for NX confirmed! Or Angry Birds 124...

If that is real and from Finnish person, there is just a few dev houses large enough to get the dev kit. It could be a Finn working in a foreign studio, though.
    It's not about the edges. It's more the grip. I can tell you right off the bat, my hand would cramp up something fierce holding that for too long.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Hmm, lots of activity in the thread.. Did something happen?

Oh.

*cries*

I totally expect Nintendo to double down on the Wii U mistake with another Gamepad.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.