Options

SCP-[CHAT]

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Do not, my friends, become addicted to frosting, or it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I've been thinking about that video game / addiction article ever since desc posted it and I haven't had time to catch up with chat but I did see some refutation of it as a generalization

which, ok fine

but after having spent all day yesterday playing a f2p ARPG while on opiates and then after they wore off I had a few beers

it's making me reconsider things

(granted the opiates were because I was in a ton of pain most of the day)

the marriage of opiates + anything with grinding is fucking nuts

and I'm sure adderall I just have less experience

not that I'm breaking new ground here

edit - what game?

also by grinding I guess I mean leveling up at all, in case that's not clear. be it the skill/worker leveling the article describes or just simply button clicking to move numbers up.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Everyone knows that insults comparing others to children hit the hardest.
    Because children are the worst.

Actually upon reflection, the most infuriating insults are the ones where you are fabulous and you flip your hair around.

Based entirely off of GF's ability to enrage motorists

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    one of my favorite sweets are the double doozies from american cookie co.

Two chocolate chip cookies with a half inch of buttercream between them

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    give me just enough cake that the frosting has something to smash into while I chew it

yeah

just like that

I'm all for weight loss and good health but I legit roll my eyes when people say they don't like sweet things. you hate frosting SURE BRO!.

to be clear, I both believe you and roll my eyes. the former is because I know people are different, the latter is a defense of my own tastes and impulses. I know this. but the eyes still roll.

I am, God help me, in agreement with Spool here
    . F frosting. I remove it from any cake served to me. I cannot, in my adult/teen life, remember thinking "my, this frosting made this cake more enjoyable!" Hell, my favorite kind of cake is probably yellow-cake with cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on top.

:whistle: some folks like icing, some folks like cake :whistle:

Now God help me for remembering a line from a Jimmy Buffet song... :?

Too late, you're obligated to write in ghost-Reagan in Nov now

<looks at current Republican field>

<looks at Reagan's tomb @ his library>

<looks back at the current R field one more time>

<shrug>

I feel like this could be worse. Reagan's Ghost it is.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    maybe it's related to puckering

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    the argument it is hiding information for the sake of hiding information is an unpersuasive one, since it applies to not having your opponents cooldowns displayed or other information that you could conceivably have access to

My argument is hidden information is hidden information, and should not be displayed, but information which is not hidden should be displayed in the most user friendly way possible. Enemy mana in DOTA 2 fulfills neither of those goals.

It's the equivalent of people concealing their hand sizes in card games where that is public information, except in this case it is bad UI doing it, and not a specific human at a specific time.
    but you could have a cooldown tracker - it isn't hidden information.
    i'm not always sure when something is off cooldown (because they could have used it in fog) but if I see them use it, i know it's on cooldown for however many seconds, and the game could display that for me.
    likewise, the game could have a big UI thing tracking whether or not an enemy is in lane or fog of war (maybe even tracking last known location!), but instead the game expects you to use the minimap
    the game could have a big indicator come up whenever an opponent comes into vision with a new item in their inventory, but instead that information is tucked away on some other screen and they expect you to track it
    the game could put in networth/GPM trackers but instead expects you to eyeball it from the available information you have...
    one of the skills the game asks of you is paying attention to and tracking information.

My point is mana is treated differently than cooldowns. The game will tell you the mana of any enemy you can see at any time, with no guesswork on your part at all, you just need to go through unnecessary and cumbersome clicking to get it. Cooldowns are never displayed at all.

Half of those are bad UI design, though. The item one in particular. If enemy inventory is public information, it should be easy to access and use. If it is private information, it should be truly hidden.

DOTA2 consistently fails to give players the information they are entitled to have in a good format. Again, just like people stacking their hand in a single pile in a game where hand size is public information, so you have to ask 20 times in a game, "How many cards do you have in your hand?" Compare this to Blizzard's Hearthstone UI, which is just excellent. A player's actions might surprise you, but you'll never have a case where you say, "Oh, I didn't think they had 6 mana and 4 cards in their hands!"
    entitled to have....good one...nerds

Heh. It gets deep in the weeds of design, but it matters a lot what information you decide to communicate, and how. I think there's magnitudes of order better and worse implementations in video games in that regard. Things like character silhouettes, indicating debuffs visually, 1:1 equipment display (i.e. you can visually tell how powerful someone is by looking at their in-game sword), UI design, etc, etc.

I think a surprising number of video games actually have kinda shitty design, it's just that they are inherently fun base concepts so they get away with it. Warframe, which I mentioned positively, is a brilliant example of god awful design in many ways. The mod system is super fun in some ways, but there's not even a modest correlation between costs and benefits, and a substantial portion of all mods are useless, and some are outright worse than nothing at all if you aren't careful, and it's not because they are trying to reward "good decisions" but because they have 3 years of content and do large passes to infrequently and generally to only a single system at once. Every iteration of the game is better, which is awesome, but it still has Speed Holster (increase holster/unholster speed for weapons, which will never, ever matter in any circumstances) vs. Rifle Amp (+27% damage to all primary weapons in your party. Stacks with itself), for example.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Reagan was terrible

don't forget that the Iran Contra was technically high treason

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I dunno about homophobic implications but I get butthurt when I take a really tough poo, and usually after some hot hot spicy food

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    maybe it's related to puckering

i already solved the mystery
    Chanus wrote: »
    butthurt used to mean like being all mad because you lost a match or whatever

now it's more like you're all mad because things aren't going your way

but that original meaning is why it's relating to having your butt kicked

i'm old enough to remember a time when people didn't use the word butthurt yet

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    give me just enough cake that the frosting has something to smash into while I chew it

yeah

just like that

I'm all for weight loss and good health but I legit roll my eyes when people say they don't like sweet things. you hate frosting SURE BRO!.

to be clear, I both believe you and roll my eyes. the former is because I know people are different, the latter is a defense of my own tastes and impulses. I know this. but the eyes still roll.

I am, God help me, in agreement with Spool here
    . F frosting. I remove it from any cake served to me. I cannot, in my adult/teen life, remember thinking "my, this frosting made this cake more enjoyable!" Hell, my favorite kind of cake is probably yellow-cake with cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on top.

:whistle: some folks like icing, some folks like cake :whistle:

Now God help me for remembering a line from a Jimmy Buffet song... :?

Too late, you're obligated to write in ghost-Reagan in Nov now

<looks at current Republican field>

<looks at Reagan's tomb @ his library>

<looks back at the current R field one more time>

<shrug>

I feel like this could be worse. Reagan's Ghost it is.

That was literally my thought process making the joke, it's not like Spool is going to vote for Trump

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I have an anti sweet tooth

chocolate is fine if it's dark, 70-75% cacao is best. sea salt or chile chocolate are even better

I only like sweet potato fries if they're nice and crispy, most places fuck them up. Park Burger does them right. sweet potato tots are terrible since they have an insufficient surface ratio

the only time I like added sugar in pretty much anything is with alcohol, and even then it's just a little bit

but every now and then I will demolish some kind of decadent dessert and really enjoy it. every couple of months, maybe

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I know my input is essential to fully unpacking this dilemma and I had to interject as soon as possible to aid your noble struggles herein

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I dunno about homophobic implications but I get butthurt when I take a really tough poo, and usually after some hot hot spicy food

don't push so hard

i keep trying to tell you guys

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    OH-PEE-ATES

OH-PEE-ATES

OH-PEE-ATES

yeahhhhhhhh

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I would just like to say that I had a great personal success.

A lady at work had a little kid with her. He immediately gravitated towards my desk and shelf with its gundams and justice leagues. He was fascinated. And I totally did good. Like I talked with him about robots and shit and it was ok.

I'm worse than Captain Picard when it comes to kids, so this was a great accomplishment for me.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Jordan I want to try an asshole Furion build. Scepter, Octarine Core, 4x Aether Lens

• Options

you don't think it's important that the game means nothing? like, stop being mad at something silly and/or get better noob. but either way I feel like the fact taht it's not really an important thing you're getting mad at is part of it.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about that video game / addiction article ever since desc posted it and I haven't had time to catch up with chat but I did see some refutation of it as a generalization

which, ok fine

but after having spent all day yesterday playing a f2p ARPG while on opiates and then after they wore off I had a few beers

Chat has moved on

Grab your musket and choose a side in the sweet potato fry civil war

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I have an anti sweet tooth

chocolate is fine if it's dark, 70-75% cacao is best. sea salt or chile chocolate are even better

I only like sweet potato fries if they're nice and crispy, most places fuck them up. Park Burger does them right. sweet potato tots are terrible since they have an insufficient surface ratio

the only time I like added sugar in pretty much anything is with alcohol, and even then it's just a little bit

but every now and then I will demolish some kind of decadent dessert and really enjoy it. every couple of months, maybe

I've got like....a nega sweet tooth. I hate sweet desserts but love sweet-tasting dinners and stuff. bonus points if its someting spicy and sweet. Jalpeno pineapple is perfection

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I would just like to say that I had a great personal success.

A lady at work had a little kid with her. He immediately gravitated towards my desk and shelf with its gundams and justice leagues. He was fascinated. And I totally did good. Like I talked with him about robots and shit and it was ok.

I'm worse than Captain Picard when it comes to kids, so this was a great accomplishment for me.

yes but captain picard was never a kid. He came out of the womb fully grown

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Reagan was terrible

don't forget that the Iran Contra was technically high treason

Yes, yes, but if I'm now obligated to vote for his ghost...

I mean, I'll vote for the thing that ain't happenin' (zombies!) over Ted "I'm Only Here Until Jesus Fucks All You Sinners Up" Cruz or Donald "Lil' Hands Mussolini" Trump.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

you don't think it's important that the game means nothing? like, stop being mad at something silly and/or get better noob. but either way I feel like the fact taht it's not really an important thing you're getting mad at is part of it.

idk vari u seem p butthurt about this

• Options

it's been an evolving definition

it does sort of imply that now, yeah

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

which, ok fine

the marriage of opiates + anything with grinding is fucking nuts

and I'm sure adderall I just have less experience

not that I'm breaking new ground here

edit - what game?

also by grinding I guess I mean leveling up at all, in case that's not clear. be it the skill/worker leveling the article describes or just simply button clicking to move numbers up.

Path of Exile. it's the best ARPG I've ever played and also the best f2p game I've ever played.

It's a difficult game but once you've played it enough you can kind of zone out while leveling up. hardcore mode keeps it interesting.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Watching Guy Martin's wall of death record attempt

In particular the very nice presenter nodding politely as he explains the construction of the bike he's using in a torrent of broad Yorkshire

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Tav wrote: »
    I have never thought of butthurt as having sexual connotations.
    When someone says "I got my shit pushed in" I always cringe.
    But never at butthurt.

who says this?!?

I've only ever heard it in Training Day

TL DR on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
    Yes after some thought I want a subject matter expert to 'consult' and lend credibility and then another industry-ish partner to make a device for us that we could deliver as a prototype instead of just an algorithm that would go into the device. TOO BAD IT IS MARCH 28TH AND THE NIH SBIR DEADLINE IS APRIL 4th SO HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THESE PEOPLE.

--it's also way weird that you need these consultants even on SBIRs as opposed to like R01 grants or whatever, but I totally believe it.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    desc wrote: »

which, ok fine

Chat has moved on

I'm on team sweet potato fries

anyone who is not on team sweet potato fries is an animal, and a freak, and marked for death

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    The idea of making Inject Larva an auto-cast makes me scoff with such derision that the masochist in the office across the street got an erection and doesn't know why.

Filthy fucking casuals.

It should be, though. It's a non-decision. Might as well make workers only do a single ore run and then stop for further instructions.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

which, ok fine

Chat has moved on

Sw..eet potatoes dipped in ketchup or horseradish mayonnaise

or just anything

actually

sweet potato fries-chan

• Options
    u mad?

• Options
    sweet potato fries are good this is a dumb war

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I mostly get onion rings now because most places make fries super matchstick thin or the sweet potato fries the cross hatch style, both shapes I dislike.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Jordan I want to try an asshole Furion build. Scepter, Octarine Core, 4x Aether Lens
    i don't know what those items are ron
    i've been out of the game too long

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I have never thought of butthurt as having sexual connotations.
    When someone says "I got my shit pushed in" I always cringe.
    But never at butthurt.

ugh yeah that one's terrible

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    [chat]

Listen

Someone get me a tub of icing, and no one is going to get hurt

I'm not saying someone WILL get hurt if I DON'T get icing

But I can't predict a future that doesn't include me being given a tub of icing

Okay

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

don't push so hard

i keep trying to tell you guys

my mom only buys thin, butt-sandpaper toilet paper

When I went home this weekend it was just like

maman

maman y :cry:

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Because also, the stuff that some guy would consult on is exactly the sort of stuff that I'm actually trained to do as a structural biology/biophysics PhD, and is not very important to the project's outcome. But my credibility is low cause I've never gotten fellowships and only have one paper, so I can't go on the grant.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    sweet potato fries are good this is a dumb war

but how else will i let out my impotent rage

This discussion has been closed.