Options

Is this [chat] conference over yet? Yes, yes it is

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I just spent 15 minutes explaining to a customer why he can't have 5 duress codes on his alarm system, he only has duress code slots for 2 on his system which is already more than enough because duress codes are stupid anyway.

To explain, a duress code is basically an alarm system code that works like normal except if you use it to arm or disarm your system it secretly sends the monitoring company a signal that you are acting under duress, send the police.

It is, in theory, a good idea for robberies except no robberies ever work this way. It is Hollywood Castle Doctrine fantasy bullshit nonsense that paranoids obsess over.

And even if you believe you need one, the majority of alarm systems do have one or two code slots for it and we will program for it you if you really want it.

You don't need five codes that work that way you lunatic.

After spending a quarter hour to no avail I gave up, offered to sign him up for open/close reporting for an extra $5/month so we get signals every time it is armed and disarmed by which user code, and our monitoring center will manually flag an extra three code slots as duress codes and treat them as such.

He was happy with that. The idiot.

I mean five different codes seems like way too many?

I could see wanting to change it every so often, but five different codes that all do the same thing?

Knowing how the human brain works you'd probably forget all of them.

i can only assume he wants five different individuals to have their own duress codes

Which is pointless, because why in the world would you have to distinguish which person entered the distress code, when presumably there is already surveillance on the premises that would allow you to identify the individual, never mind things like shift schedules?

because you're paranoid enough to want duress codes in the first place?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    well shit thats inappropriate

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

Dear hood internet: help me get through this dumb report draft.

Love,
    Young Coconut

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    my falling dreams sound comical when I describe them but terrifying in the moment. I don't just fall. I fall through things. The ground, floors and floors of a building, a swimming pool, the ground again

etc.

Like a cartoon

awaken, sitting bolt upright in bed and drenched in a cold sweat, the sound of Yakkity Sax still ringing in your ears

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I remember in middle school or early high school I dreamed of playing through C&C:Red Alert. I did just finishing playing it all night with my friends.

But I basically replayed like 6 missions from memory in my dream.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    As an aside, duress codes do make sense in banking. Code-entry-under-duress does describe a non-trivial number of bank robberies.

This is not to contradict Pony at all - sometimes a strategy that makes sense in one context doesn't make sense in another context.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    uh that's very nsfw man

like anime rules apply

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I just spent 15 minutes explaining to a customer why he can't have 5 duress codes on his alarm system, he only has duress code slots for 2 on his system which is already more than enough because duress codes are stupid anyway.

To explain, a duress code is basically an alarm system code that works like normal except if you use it to arm or disarm your system it secretly sends the monitoring company a signal that you are acting under duress, send the police.

It is, in theory, a good idea for robberies except no robberies ever work this way. It is Hollywood Castle Doctrine fantasy bullshit nonsense that paranoids obsess over.

And even if you believe you need one, the majority of alarm systems do have one or two code slots for it and we will program for it you if you really want it.

You don't need five codes that work that way you lunatic.

After spending a quarter hour to no avail I gave up, offered to sign him up for open/close reporting for an extra $5/month so we get signals every time it is armed and disarmed by which user code, and our monitoring center will manually flag an extra three code slots as duress codes and treat them as such.

He was happy with that. The idiot.

I mean five different codes seems like way too many?

I could see wanting to change it every so often, but five different codes that all do the same thing?

Knowing how the human brain works you'd probably forget all of them.

i can only assume he wants five different individuals to have their own duress codes

Which is pointless, because why in the world would you have to distinguish which person entered the distress code, when presumably there is already surveillance on the premises that would allow you to identify the individual, never mind things like shift schedules?

Don't want the emergency services to attend if it's bob in trouble

Because frankly, fuck bob

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Omg the guy in front of me at in n out just ordered 45 fucking burgers and fries

Then can you make half of those no onion

Wait half are double meat

Oh and can you do a separate transaction for four more burgers

I almost rioted

pls tell me ur in the car line too

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I had a dream that I was throwing breaded fish into the toilet and flushing it

I was worried it would clog the toilet but it seemed to be working

What does it mean, chat

Breading fish is a shit way to prepare it?

I will fight you to the death. Fried catfish is one of a handful of things that would keep me from pushing the red button on the south

Huh.

Poorly prepared trash fish is all that's keeping you from annihilating an entire region?

I'll make sure I let that side of my family and all my friends down there know hey don't fuck up and stop making that catfish.

Trash fish? They are bottom feeders, yes. Just like Lobster, but the farm raised catfish market that sells to carpetbaggers to sell in fancy establishments would disagree with the trash adjective

Yeah, and lobsters are sea cockroaches that used to be considered food for the poor until they got popular thanks to being branded a gourmet food item.

Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough and I've had it more ways than I care to count, both farmed and wild. But it is a trash fish, and should be treated as such.

Hence I guess why you're right bread that shit and deep-fry it it's not like there's any complex flavors to be drawn out of it.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my falling dreams sound comical when I describe them but terrifying in the moment. I don't just fall. I fall through things. The ground, floors and floors of a building, a swimming pool, the ground again

etc.

Like a cartoon

it's like being in a bethesda game

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The dream cliche I have most often is nudity. I'm often naked in dreams.

But it's never embarrassing. I'm just going about my business or fighting zombies or whatever in the buff.

which i think is reflective of my attitude towards nudity in general

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I actually did not like this article. It was kind of treading water on the issue, though the idea of nerds being emasculated and retreating to spaces where they can assert masculine traits and then becoming resentful of intrusion into those spaces by the non-masculine is interesting.

• Options
    I have also died/witnessed my own death at least 4 or 5 times in dreams.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Omg the guy in front of me at in n out just ordered 45 fucking burgers and fries

I almost rioted

pls tell me ur in the car line too

Oh hell no

He got to watch as angry line of people formed up behind him

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I hate dreams where I'm crying, and then I wake up and am crying irl. Boo depression dreams

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

etc.

Like a cartoon

I don't fall but I do have floating away dreams.

Start off thinking I have cool flying ability.

Realize I can't actually go back down.

Grab at anything I can before I float away forever

you wouldn't float away forever, at a certain altitude you'd become unconscious and die of asphyxiation

Oh in that case everything is fine.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

etc.

Like a cartoon

it's like being in a bethesda game

no, even the npcs in my dreams don't look that dead inside

• Options
    edited April 2016
    my dreams are always horribly mundane, kafkaesque affairs

like getting arrested for slamming the door of the police station in a threatening manner and spending the rest of the dream in a cell with nobody telling me how long I'm going to be there

override367 on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Duress codes only make sense in banking because I wouldn't trust a man in short cutoff jean shorts to give me a home loan.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Oh, so that's what an adult coloring book looks like.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    my dreams are always horribly mundane, kafkaesque affairs

like getting arrested for slamming the door of the police station in a threatening manner and spending the rest of the dream in a cell with nobody telling me how long I'm going to be there

because your real life is often a nightmare

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    i get a lot of body snatchers dreams too

but they are always different

and have different characters too

like i had a body snatchers dream where i was going to a friend's apartment and Tina Fey was there but i was pretty sure they were all pod people and then i ran home and was trying to start a car to drive away while Pod Person Tina Fey started walking towards me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwvCkaTBz0

• Options
    Can we not quote the NSFW picture?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I almost rioted

none of this makes any sense

nobody like in n out

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    *munches on pizza*

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I've literally had a dream about going to olive garden and they brought my food before my appetizer

that's basically the entire dream

the more banal the dream the more vividly I remember it, I'm sure I've forgotten a thousand dreams involving scarjo

override367 on
  • Options
    I've literally had a dream about going to olive garden and they brought my food before my appetizer

holy shit dude I'm sorry did you get therapy?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    that image seems super nsfw

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Did you riot inside while quietly accepting the new order?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    has anyone mentioned how nsfw that picture is, yet?

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Did you riot inside while quietly accepting the new order?

I ate it and drove home, I didn't make it home before waking up

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    has anyone mentioned how nsfw that picture is, yet?

let me repost it so we can make sure

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Oh my god

Girl's dad just stopped by, he stopped to pick up her prescriptions and was dropping them off

He was explaining when and how she should take them, and I nodded enthusiastically to express my understanding

Then I said "Don't worry, I'll make sure it gets in her."

And then my brain started screaming and it hasn't stopped.

Tell me his eyes narrowed slightly and he held eye contact for just a few seconds longer than comfortable during the farewell handshake.

Oh crap should I be shaking his hand

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I remember in middle school or early high school I dreamed of playing through C&C:Red Alert. I did just finishing playing it all night with my friends.

I used to play so much diablo 2 til very late and not sleep enough

a friend stayed over one night and said he heard me say "throwing mastery" in my sleep

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    uh that's very nsfw man

like anime rules apply

there's no rule against anime except as a discrete thread

that it's very nsfw (and offensive as heck [and banal celebrity social media shitposting]) is an entirely separate issue

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Before I read it my opinion was more of a women-hating one (a dated view from when I was in H.S.). Being straight nerds retreat into the traditional nerd realm to escape from the reminder they are largely undesired by the girls in school. It was a catch 22 effect which made us more outsider than otherwise, but in the short term it was comforting.

The solution of course is to destroy all High Schools.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

etc.

Like a cartoon

~ TCL

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I used to play so much diablo 2 til very late and not sleep enough

a friend stayed over one night and said he heard me say "throwing mastery" in my sleep
    Is that a thing in diablo 2? I just thought that was the skilltree @spool32 took in LoL

This discussion has been closed.