Options

Animation [Chat]

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hey friends, it's Anzac Day!

Grab your Anzac biscuits and your well-worn copy of Gallipoli, settle in for a day of remembering one of the worst campaigns in the First World War

Today is also the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan, where a hundred Australian soldiers held and fought back around two thousand North Vietnamese

So here's a classic Australian war song, I Was Only Nineteen

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY

simonwolf on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @MrMister

Greetings from low-res, sunbathing Bowser:
    bowbow_zpsdrveqyxm.jpg

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Just bowsin around

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    @MrMister

Greetings from low-res Bowser:
    latest?cb=20101231170457

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Just bowsin around

Exactly!

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I moved

This apartment is so nice overall and I've basically escaped my evil landlord cleanly, fuck him

But I still think that there's a decent chance I'm actually allergic to cats which I didn't know.....

So

Hrmm

Goddamnit I hope I'm wrong and it's just pollen

short term, become friends with benadryl, or zyrtek.

get the stuff that you need to show your drivers licence to buy so they can track smurfs; that's the good shit.
    It's not a nose thing or a sneezy thing

It's more an itchy skin, swelly throat thing
    (Not terribly dissimilar from mild exposure to peanuts for me)

So far it's only happened twice though I've been in the apartment a bit, and was after (this is just me thinking or drawing connections) I touched cat

But I pet cat yesterday and was fine or didn't notice any issues and same for last Sunday when I first came to apartment
    I let him lick my hands and such

Hm

Let's see

At the very least not letting cat enter my room for now until I determine if this is true or not

Pray that it's not but now I know so many people with cat allergies I wouldn't be surprised

poo
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I think the hardest thing in world building for a pnp RPG is the naming process for countries, geo features, continents, etc.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It is time that all men must die

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I moved

This apartment is so nice overall and I've basically escaped my evil landlord cleanly, fuck him

But I still think that there's a decent chance I'm actually allergic to cats which I didn't know.....

So

Hrmm

get the stuff that you need to show your drivers licence to buy so they can track smurfs; that's the good shit.

So far it's only happened twice though I've been in the apartment a bit, and was after (this is just me thinking or drawing connections) I touched cat

But I pet cat yesterday and was fine or didn't notice any issues and same for last Sunday when I first came to apartment

Hm

Let's see

At the very least not letting cat enter my room for now until I determine if this is true or not

Pray that it's not but now I know so many people with cat allergies I wouldn't be surprised

benadryl helps with those symptoms too!

just sayin'

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think the hardest thing in world building for a pnp RPG is the naming process for countries, geo features, continents, etc.

protip: don't world build

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Please stop

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    also I hope its not the cat and everything will be awesome.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

• Options
    I moved

So

Hrmm

Hm

Let's see

benadryl helps with those symptoms too!

just sayin'

Yah I know

But if it's actually the cat that's not a long term solution

Let's hope it's not who knows maybe I'm just a paranoid hypochondriac

I would like everything to be awesome

poo
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    streamin' ds3

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

protip: don't world build

But it's fun.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    valar morghulis

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Yessss third person on our row didn't show

Dat middle cellphone holding seat. This luxury

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    GAME OF THRONES IS STARTING

QUIET IN THE REALM

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Shaz, scratch your skin with your nails a little too much. Then pet the cat with the irritated area. If you welt up you may be allergic

• Options
    Dat at home allergy test

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Yessss third person on our row didn't show

Dat middle cellphone holding seat. This luxury

I like using the under-seat storage in those cases so that I can keep the one infront of me clear. Such luxury.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i am now officially posting from my hip bachelor pad.

groovy, baby.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Please stop

It's a game of thrones reference

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I've found that stuff from the bronze age eastern Mediterranean / near east is great for this. Since there is essentially no cultural continuity from the bronze age to today it sounds appropriately fantastical. But you can still get multiple names / places from the same culture so they sound cohesive.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    the new Battletech Q&A went up a few days ago and it's pretty good stuff although, of course, lots of nerds don't know how game dev works and are like CAN YOU NEGOTIATE JUMPSHIP FEES? when the devs are talking about, like, prototyping the combat engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIgGrTo9vdk

The new initiative system they came up with sounds boss as fuck:
    Here’s the basics:

- Each weight class of ‘Mech has an Initiative value. Light ‘Mechs are the fastest, with an Initiative of 4 and assaults are the slowest, with an Initiative of 1.

- Combat rounds are divided into 5 Phases, counting down from 5 to 1. ‘Mechs are allowed to act during the Phase that matches their Initiative. (That 5th Phase is the province of extremely skilled MechWarriors piloting Light ‘Mechs.)

- Each Phase, each side takes turns choosing a ‘Mech to Activate. When a Mech is Activated, it can both move and then fire its weapons. However, once the ‘Mech fires, its turn is over and it can’t act again until the next Round of combat.

- After you Activate a ‘Mech and take a turn, the game attempts to give the next action to the other side. If the enemy has units available to use in the current Phase, they get the opportunity to activate one of them. If, on the other hand, they have no more units they can activate in the phase, and you do, you’ll get to go again.

- This means that if you and your opponent are both using full lances of assault ‘Mechs, every Round will be pretty predictable: You’ll go, then your opponent will go, and so forth until all eight ‘Mechs have been Activated and have taken a turn.

When the game finishes counting down Initiative values and Phase 1 units have taken their turn, the Round ends. The Phase counter resets to 5, and every ‘Mech is ready to act again.
    And now the really cool part:

We think this is a neat system because it reinforces and distinguishes between the different weight classes of ‘Mechs - but the place where it really becomes really interesting is when you start reserving ‘Mechs’ Phases for use later in the Round.

Any ‘Mech that isn’t an assault can be held in reserve when its turn to act comes up. That temporarily sets its Initiative Value one lower. So a Light ‘Mech that normally acts in Phase 4 will instead act in Phase 3.

With this system, you can keep reserving your ‘Mechs’ actions, holding an entire lance of ‘Mechs until Phase 1, if you wanted to.

What’s so interesting about reserving actions? First of all, consider the case of a whole lance of Light and medium ‘Mechs being reserved until Phase 1, where they’ll get to act right at the end of a Round. Then, when the round ends and a new Round starts, they’ll immediately get to act again in Phases 4 and 3! (This tactic isn’t theoretical - in a recent battle, I snuck up behind our Lead Designer Kevin’s Centurion with a Jenner I’d reserved to Phase 1. Then, on Phase 4 of the next Round I got to make a full alpha strike right into his back armor.)

As you’d guess, there’s also a lot of value in using this tactic to locally outnumber an opponent. You want your engagements to be uneven in your favor, and you want to be able to fall back from any engagement in which you’re outnumbered. Focusing your forces in one spot when your enemy is spread out is right out of Sun Tzu.

Our initiative system, which allows you to reserve units, means you can locally outnumber your enemy in time as well as space. If you can take three actions in a row, and all three actions are effective fire on a target with no chance for it to respond by moving or returning fire… you’ve essentially made part of the turn a 3-on-1 battle.

Conversely, reserving your faster ‘Mechs to break up long sequences of enemy action with opportunities to respond can be useful in preventing your own forces from becoming focus-fired.

We’re reinforcing the role of Light ‘Mechs in other ways, but this system is a significant component of their value. Light ‘Mechs get to choose where and when they engage, and if used carefully can be exactly the tool you need to get out of a bad situation. Heavy and assault ‘Mechs pack a much bigger punch, but the tradeoff is that they’re inherently more predictable - and thus are more often reacting than acting.

The crazy part is that this sounds like they may actually have found a solution that makes Light Mechs viable in tabletop. In the stories, lights are supposed to be scouts, artillery spotters, and so forth. They had a point. In the tabletop, they often just kind of took up space.

So the Death From Above RPG team has actually started test-driving this initiative system for their twitch stream tabletop games and it apparently works pretty well. I guess even the head of Battletech tabletop dev at Catalyst Game Labs is a fan.

I really like the idea that maybe at the end of all this we might have not just a cool video game but a souped-up Battletech tabletop game made with game design principles from after the 1980s.

I saw a good comment on the system that it might be cool to base the initiative phases off of max speed (or max speed + weight) rather than just weight class. It would cover cases where you have an unusually fast heavy (like the 3025 era Dragon) or clunky light (Urbie). Since the Dragon, for example, has to give up a ton of firepower for that speed it seems like it would be good to bump it into a higher initiative bracket.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So since I've got my controller working with my desktop, I'm finally getting around to playing MGR. It's pretty much confirming what I suspected; that I was playing Dark Souls because I wanted to play a character action game and was going with the closest thing I had.

• Options
    Everyone dies. Whoops I spoiled GoT

• Options
    Shaz, scratch your skin with your nails a little too much. Then pet the cat with the irritated area. If you welt up you may be allergic

I guess this is cheaper than my copay

poo
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Please stop

You know nothing, milski

• Options
    oh also for tabletop RPGs I tend to make up most stuff as I go so usually just compile a few long lists of place / people names that I can pull from as needed.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I've found that stuff from the bronze age eastern Mediterranean / near east is great for this. Since there is essentially no cultural continuity from the bronze age to today it sounds appropriately fantastical. But you can still get multiple names / places from the same culture so they sound cohesive.

Holy crap. This is awesome.

• Options

I guess this is cheaper than my copay

Yeah and you get to do science

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Gotta avoid the internet for the next hour till I can watch it.

Made good progress in DS2. I'm in
    Drangleic Castle
    and took out the LGK through the power of Jolly Cooperation. Found another lady who speaks to me, but she seems menacing. Especially with the painting that curses the shit out of me if I get to close. Tempted to go shoot her with an arrow.

• Options

Holy crap. This is awesome.

The Hittites (as we call them) as particularly good as they had several different languages current in their empire.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I bet in this season there is an edgy sexual assault, tons of murder, and problematic potpourri

• Options
    Everyone dies. Whoops I spoiled existence

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    bloodyroarxx got a reply from the Dark Souls peeps and I don't think you're going to like their answer:
    Apologies for my confusion! All Add-ons and Retailer Bonus Unlocks will be available from retailers and ourselves here at Steamforged Games upon general release, and be packaged seperately. Hope this answers your question, sorry again!

So yeah, looks like all the stretch goal stuff will be packaged separately

That just confuses me

What was the question?

So the Dark Souls KS is doing a single price point for personal copies of the game, with stretch goals (beyond Boss add-ons) being added to the base package at no extra cost - I asked if those would be included in future retail copies as well

Holy hell, so the retail version is a huge ripoff.

Damn, oh well cest la vie

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

the forumer is still someone

the faces are for no one

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    mmmm yogurt

This discussion has been closed.