As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I gotta be honest, @JoeUser , I was lemur-sceptical at first but... they work.

Turns out the interview today wasn't as much a job interview as a pitch meeting. Within twenty minutes I was being shown around the place and being introduced as the new "fuel order entry dude", which sounded so professional right up until the end. I start work on Tuesday.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Lost the other guy in the other department I'm over tonight.

Eight sheriff's deputies showed up just after shift change and arrested the kid on a weapons possession charge. They searched his truck, found a shiny chromed-out (and stolen) 9mm, and off he went.

Apparently the fucking idiot was flashing it at work last night, all "hey lookit what I got~"

Yeah, you just got fifteen years in state prison.

If I'm going to be spending all my time saying the rosary for you I may as well just join the convent and call it a day. I am now Sr. Mary Robonun. No flaws in this plan.

Except maybe my husband might be a bit confused.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Do we have a picture magic thing for "Your resume along with one other persons is on the bosses desk, but there are 2-3 open positions" situation? I keep hoping to hear from them for interview, because the job would have so much learning potential and would round my skillset out quite nicely and just argh!

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Coalinga?

What about the smell?

You mean how it's farmland? I spent a good portion on my life on a street with lots of horses; I can adapt.

This is going to be one heck of a drive though. Three hours to Los Angeles, a stop at parents' house to eat and chat a bit, then onwards another 2-3 hours to Coalinga for the interview. Then back to parents to spend the night. Then an hour south to Sylmar for the second interview, and the position I want the most, then three hours back to San Diego. Then back to work the following day.

Triple-checking to make sure I have all the necessary documents I was requested to bring and wondering what I'll forget to pack in the suitcase this time. Probably going to be spending the entire drive talking to myself to work through the nerves so I'm not gibbering like an idiot during the actual interview. When I'm nervous I have a habit of rapid-fire words, which get all jumbled up unless I force myself to speak slower as I think the answer through. Then stress afterwards even though I'm 2 for 3 on job offers to interviews so clearly I am doing something right even if I can't see it.

Whatever, I have 6+ hours to work through this with the finest metal Spotify has to offer.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Got a voice mail saying I got the job I applied for. Yay!

@Kaplar

Yay! Congratulations! :biggrin:

ujZLxC.jpg

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It's going to be another week or two until I can get a second opinion on my wrist, because of course SC's workman's comp laws say that the company's insurance adjuster gets to pick who gives the second opinion and when.

So I guess I'm going to be on """""light duty""""" until then.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Coalinga?

What about the smell?

You mean how it's farmland? I spent a good portion on my life on a street with lots of horses; I can adapt.

This is going to be one heck of a drive though. Three hours to Los Angeles, a stop at parents' house to eat and chat a bit, then onwards another 2-3 hours to Coalinga for the interview. Then back to parents to spend the night. Then an hour south to Sylmar for the second interview, and the position I want the most, then three hours back to San Diego. Then back to work the following day.

Triple-checking to make sure I have all the necessary documents I was requested to bring and wondering what I'll forget to pack in the suitcase this time. Probably going to be spending the entire drive talking to myself to work through the nerves so I'm not gibbering like an idiot during the actual interview. When I'm nervous I have a habit of rapid-fire words, which get all jumbled up unless I force myself to speak slower as I think the answer through. Then stress afterwards even though I'm 2 for 3 on job offers to interviews so clearly I am doing something right even if I can't see it.

Whatever, I have 6+ hours to work through this with the finest metal Spotify has to offer.

Can I offer a small suggestion? An extra copy or two of all the docs, just in case something were to happen to one or more of them. It may be overthinking it, but I'd hate for something to have happened and not offered the idea.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    It's going to be another week or two until I can get a second opinion on my wrist, because of course SC's workman's comp laws say that the company's insurance adjuster gets to pick who gives the second opinion and when.

So I guess I'm going to be on """""light duty""""" until then.

'Light Duty' could be really light in some cases. Like if your plant burned to the ground. Just sayin.'

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    been back to work for three hours after a week off

I'm already ready for another vacation

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I gotta be honest, @JoeUser , I was lemur-sceptical at first but... they work.

Turns out the interview today wasn't as much a job interview as a pitch meeting. Within twenty minutes I was being shown around the place and being introduced as the new "fuel order entry dude", which sounded so professional right up until the end. I start work on Tuesday.

Wow, congratulations! :biggrin:

0QI4wg.jpg

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Question, job thread:

I had a very positive phone screen with the HR person at a place I'd really like to be (a cool looking tech/marketing company) and she said she'd be following up to have me talk with the Controller. I sent a follow up thank you email soon after. That was Monday.

Since then, I've also had a good HR phone screen at another tech place (yesterday) and they contacted me same day to schedule me to talk with the Accounting Manager tomorrow. And I had a good on-site interview at a third place (not as cool of a company, but very good sounding job in what appears to be a good work environment with good people) that is going to schedule me to come in again next week.

How long do I wait to contact the first company if they haven't gotten back to me to schedule a meeting with the Controller? Of the three places, they'd be my first choice.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Question, job thread:

I had a very positive phone screen with the HR person at a place I'd really like to be (a cool looking tech/marketing company) and she said she'd be following up to have me talk with the Controller. I sent a follow up thank you email soon after. That was Monday.

Since then, I've also had a good HR phone screen at another tech place (yesterday) and they contacted me same day to schedule me to talk with the Accounting Manager tomorrow. And I had a good on-site interview at a third place (not as cool of a company, but very good sounding job in what appears to be a good work environment with good people) that is going to schedule me to come in again next week.

How long do I wait to contact the first company if they haven't gotten back to me to schedule a meeting with the Controller? Of the three places, they'd be my first choice.

I would make contact Friday, a few days should be plenty of time to schedule a follow up on their end.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I just had flowers delivered to me from the CEO's office for Administrative Professional's day.

I don't think I've ever received flowers before, for any reason.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't wait for teleporter technology so I can live in the boonies and work in the city.

We currently *knocks on wood* both have good city-type jobs, yet live about an hour+ north of Boston right next to nature preserve with trails and most night-time noise is owl-based.

It's awesome.

Sidenote: If you look into large companies, they're increasingly offering work from home at least part time, as it means less desk space needed and the ability to pay people slightly less if they're not in the city.
    Also - aren't you in medicine/nursing? Everywhere has hospitals.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Huh. A while back I was published by the Journal of Applied Polymer Science, and today I got an email asking me to peer review another manuscript.

I'm not getting paid to do it, and the imposter syndrome is fucking overwhelming me right now, but I'm happy that I'm involved in scientific goings-on!

• Options
    What is your opinion of King Digital? (the candy crush people)

They have a senior accountant opening, but I'm not sure about the company due to some of the negative publicity they've had in the past about trying to sue people just for using "saga" in a title, and how pretty much all of their games are just clones of someone else's games with microtransactions slapped on.

But they were also bought by Blizzard in February and maybe that makes a difference?

I dunno. I could use some other perspectives.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Huh. A while back I was published by the Journal of Applied Polymer Science, and today I got an email asking me to peer review another manuscript.

I'm not getting paid to do it, and the imposter syndrome is fucking overwhelming me right now, but I'm happy that I'm involved in scientific goings-on!

Hahaaaa oh god
    Cling to that feeling. Being chuffed about being asked to be a reviewer is a transient experience.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

They have a senior accountant opening, but I'm not sure about the company due to some of the negative publicity they've had in the past about trying to sue people just for using "saga" in a title, and how pretty much all of their games are just clones of someone else's games with microtransactions slapped on.

But they were also bought by Blizzard in February and maybe that makes a difference?

I have only heard the same things about them as you with the whole saga thing and clones of other games so don't have any perspective there.

However, working for that type of company would probably be very interesting but I would think that it could turn south very quickly if they don't have a stream of new games to capture people's attention or if their big cash cows fall out of favor. Seems like some of those companies are either feast or famine so if long term stability is a goal then that may not be the best place to look.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I love the Candy Crush Series as games, but I'm worst possible customer since I view their microtransation (and the UI designs that try to make buying/accidentally using real money booster items easier) as predatory and user hostile, so I never give them a cent and never send Facebook stuff to anybody who doesn't already play the game. I also haven't found any of their other games enjoyable.

There's probably some really good people who work there, but it's possible on the accounting side you won't get to interact with them much. Or maybe you will. Marketing and the higher ups are probably the real villains.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    @JoeUser your lemurs are magical. Can you spare one for @Bucketman and his girlfriend? I would love to see her escape Walmart.

Of course!

@Bucketman tell her good luck from us! :)

lzTVG8.jpg

Oh hey an update. She emailed them her credentials yesterday and today they told her about the training (its weird but for this much a year she said she'd live with it) and then said they'd get back to her again in a few days....

so its entirely possible that because she knew some people she didn't even have to interview

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have come to realise that the one thing in my job that I appreciate above all else is gratitude. Just... say thank you for stuff. That's all you gotta do.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have come to realise that the one thing in my job that I appreciate above all else is gratitude. Just... say thank you for stuff. That's all you gotta do.

It'd be nice to get paid a living wage, too. :-/

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

On that note, sincerely, thank you for sharing stories here and on your blog. I know it's not part of your job or anything, but I really appreciate them all the same. Ditto the pictures and videos. Just the fact that you get to go out and see all those amazing animals on a daily basis is pretty incredible and it's awesome that you share some of that experience with us.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

It's amazing how huge gratitude is to people, how easy it is to give and how few actually bother.

• Options
    I talked to a friend who works at PopCap and he said he has friends who ended up at King and they are pretty favorable about it. I value his opinion because if there was any one company that I would consider that King cribs the most from, it'd be PopCap. But his perspective is that their games are similar, but not really fully clones.

And as another friend said, at least it's not Zynga.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    Went to apply to a Business Intelligence job at a dream company, having seen them pushing the opportunity on a few different sites.

Hit apply.

I'd already applied and been rejected.

Feel like my stomach was kicked in the nuts.

Reapplied anyways last night.

They just called.

Aaaaaaaa

• Options
    Went to apply to a Business Intelligence job at a dream company, having seen them pushing the opportunity on a few different sites.

Hit apply.

I'd already applied and been rejected.

Feel like my stomach was kicked in the nuts.

Reapplied anyways last night.

They just called.

Aaaaaaaa

Fantastic! Good luck!

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I am so terrified and excited and hopeful.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My interview for the tech job went well yesterday! Only 2 of the 3 interviewers were there so I'll need to wait on a phone interview. I'm the first one interviewed for the job. Sounds like something up my alley! Also I'd have the opportunity after a little while to be in charge of a group of folks which seems like it could be neat.

All in all I am optimistic and now I just need to wait like three weeks for them to make a decision and then hand it to HR to call about. So I'll have to cross those fingers for a little while longer!

• Options

Smof! I have some rough dates for going to Namibia! We will be 2000km from your area and I have no idea if I can figure out a way to get any closer! But I thought I'd give you the heads up in case we can manage to coordinate something!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Today is pretty awesome. I've been through 3 days of training on a new system, and asked a bunch of questions to the point my team leader repeatedly said "thank god Lindsay Lohan is here" (well, she used my real name). I'm feeling like I'm easily going to be the go-to person for it, and even offered to make some documentation which she was grateful for.

I had put in for Friday off (I knew after 15+ hours of training I'd like a long weekend) but after she already approved it, she realized she really needed me to attend a short 30 minute meeting that day. I said it was no biggie (I'm salaried after all), I'd just call in from home, but she insisted I take a few hours extra some time to make up for it. So I'm leaving about 2 hours early tomorrow too. Gonna be a nice, long weekend.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Smof! I have some rough dates for going to Namibia! We will be 2000km from your area and I have no idea if I can figure out a way to get any closer! But I thought I'd give you the heads up in case we can manage to coordinate something!

I'm sure if you fit yourself with some sort of tracking device Smof will be able to locate you.

• Options

I'm sure if you fit yourself with some sort of tracking device Smof will be able to locate you.

She's got an iPhone, right?

Tracking device is unnecessary. :P

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't wait for teleporter technology so I can live in the boonies and work in the city.

We currently *knocks on wood* both have good city-type jobs, yet live about an hour+ north of Boston right next to nature preserve with trails and most night-time noise is owl-based.

It's awesome.

Sidenote: If you look into large companies, they're increasingly offering work from home at least part time, as it means less desk space needed and the ability to pay people slightly less if they're not in the city.
    Also - aren't you in medicine/nursing? Everywhere has hospitals.

Eh, big city hospitals are a lot better places to work for a lot of reasons. If I was semi retired and wanted to move out in the middle of nowhere I'd probably start doing something other than hospital work.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Or just dress up like a leopard.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hah.
    We've got [a very important client] stopping by the office tomorrow. We would like everyone to make sure their work area is clear of any unprofessional items and we would like everyone to dress in business casual.

Kako, you can work from home tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I should be offended or amused.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    You should hope very important clients stop by more frequently.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    There is a glass hallway near my office which the sun shines directly into during the late afternoon. Becayse Boston is still assbutt cold they haven't switched on the AC in this section yet. So hallway temperatures are currently 33C (91F) and climbing.

I've got 361000-ish regression matrices processing, and the limbic system of a Komodo dragon, so I'm thinking about hauling a chair in here, grabbing some tea and spending the afternoon reading papers in what might be the warmest place in all of Massachusetts.

tynic on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Just got home from work. Saw a tornado out my car window to the north of me so that was different.

How's everyone else doing?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Boss: "Don't worry about the president not understanding what you do or not really being a fan."

Me: "Wait...what?! He doesn't like me or what I do?"

"oh, uh..I mean. <VP/Partner> and I do so you're fine. It's fine."

"WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!"

"...I'm going to go now. Keep doing what you're doing."

This discussion has been closed.