Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    If I wanted to watch DC animated movies, particularly Batman stuff, what's good?

From what I've seen and read, I don't The Dark Knight Returns is for me.

If you wanna watch just Batman movies, watch Mask of the Phantasm, then World's Finest, then Under the Red Hood, then Justice League Doom, then Crisis on Two Earths, then The Dark Knight Returns. That will run the whole gamut.

Still watchable if you want more: Mystery of the Batwoman, Superman/Batman Public Enemies, and Justice League War.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Is not suitable if you haven't watched the show. The rest of these stand alone.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If I wanted to watch DC animated movies, particularly Batman stuff, what's good?

If you wanna watch just Batman movies, watch Mask of the Phantasm, then World's Finest, then Under the Red Hood, then Justice League Doom, then Crisis on Two Earths, then The Dark Knight Returns. That will run the whole gamut.

Still watchable if you want more: Mystery of the Batwoman, Superman/Batman Public Enemies, and Justice League War.

Oh dang. You mean they'd have to actually watch Batman Beyond? That's just awful. /sarcasm

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Oh dang. You mean they'd have to actually watch Batman Beyond? That's just awful. /sarcasm

I'm sure they'd like it, but if someone asks for a movie to watch, you don't say "here, watch this 30 episode TV show, that answers your query, right?"

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Kinda? Half of the movie is about a character who would be new to the audience, but the movie does the "Let's introduce the main character and his world" bit at the beginning. Outside of that, it's the story of old Bruce Wayne, his protege, and a villain who may be the Joker returned from the dead.

If you can follow the average action movie, you can follow the Batman Beyond movie. There isn't some deep well of continuity knowledge necessary to appreciate it.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Kinda? Half of the movie is about a character who would be new to the audience, but the movie does the "Let's introduce the main character and his world" bit at the beginning. Outside of that, it's the story of old Bruce Wayne, his protege, and a villain who may be the Joker returned from the dead.

If you can follow the average action movie, you can follow the Batman Beyond movie. There isn't some deep well of continuity knowledge necessary to appreciate it.

The better thing to do would just also watch the Batman Beyond series to go with it, because that series was rad!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The first episode of Batman beyond is edited together as a movie.

You can watch RotJ after the pilot. It wont be as impactful but it will make sense

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Wait what? An episode edited to be movie length?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Also he might as well watch the Mr. Freeze Batman Beyond episode after the series opening because that episode is really damn good.

It's called Meltdown.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wait what? An episode edited to be movie length?

Yeah.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    maybe he quoted it wrong? but the first two or three 30 min episodes are one story. it can be played as a one shot movie, or broken up into 30min chunks for television.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I'm sure they'd like it, but if someone asks for a movie to watch, you don't say "here, watch this 30 episode TV show, that answers your query, right?"

I would for Fire Fly

• Options
    maybe he quoted it wrong? but the first two or three 30 min episodes are one story. it can be played as a one shot movie, or broken up into 30min chunks for television.

They released the first few episodes as a movie

11_midi.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I would for Fire Fly

So would I, but only because that would mean that the show would have lasted to 30.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

The first two episodes, the two-part "Rebirth," premiered on the then-WB network (in prime time!) as one big chunk. But it was just 44 minutes or so.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The first two episodes, the two-part "Rebirth," premiered on the then-WB network (in prime time!) as one big chunk. But it was just 44 minutes or so.

BB:TM is 6 episodes, not 2.

Rebirth (Parts 1 and 2), Golem, Dead Man's Hand, Meltdown, The Winning Edge

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    So is the animated Batman Year One not worth mentioning? Comic is awesome, and from what I remember it was more or less the comic but animated.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I liked Year One, Cranston was Commissioner Gordon and it looked the part with the animation matching Mazzuchelli's style.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's more like Gordon: Year One. But otherwise it's good. And Cranston knocks it out of the park.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I like to call it the "Jim Gordon is an Unstoppable Badass" movie.

I also call "Assault on Arkham" "Suicide Squad with special guest star The Goddamned Batman."

That_Guy on
  • Options

So in other words, a bunch of random episodes smashed together and called a movie?

• Options

So in other words, a bunch of random episodes smashed together and called a movie?

The first two episodes, and 4 of the first other 5 episodes. Basically enough to figure out what the universe is about.

It was released before the first season was even done.

• Options

The first two episodes, and 4 of the first other 5 episodes. Basically enough to figure out what the universe is about.

It was released before the first season was even done.

Kinda stretches the definition of "movie." More like "marketing term slapped on the DVD." But eh, semantics.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    TV shows do that all the time. I remember that's how they launched Samurai Jack, the first two adventures of Jack's origin story and the only quasi-related first fight against Aku's army (the beetles attacking the talking dog expedition).

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    TV shows do that all the time. I remember that's how they launched Samurai Jack, the first two adventures of Jack's origin story and the only quasi-related first fight against Aku's army (the beetles attacking the talking dog expedition).

No, the beetle bit was the finale of the three-parter. Jack meets the archaeologist dogs in the second part.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Oh my god, yeeeees~!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Or Dot and "fingerprints"

I don't know, I mean the fingerprints joke was a joke that likely went over the head of most of the shows target audience (really, how many kids do you think were familiar with Prince when that aired? Let alone fingering as a sexual act?). Sure, it probably lead to a lot of uncomfortable parents trying not to explain the joke, but for the most part I'd guess the kids missed out.

But Minerva Mink and Hello Nurse had all the subtlety of a brick duct taped to a sledgehammer.

Completely unpresidented...

bugs-bunny-drag.jpg
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I would for Fire Fly

I wish we got 30 episodes of Firefly...
    Now youve gone and made me sad.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm watching Young Justice.

Isn't Shazam/Captian Marvel like, 12?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yup!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'm watching Young Justice.

Isn't Shazam/Captian Marvel like, 12?

There's a reason he loves hanging out with the team so much.

Keep watching, YJ is fantastic.

• Options
    I love it, I just loled at Shazam being in the big leagues/babysitting those younger than him.

But hey, wisdom of Solomon!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Hahaha the Halloween episode.

Poor Captian Marvel :(

Edit: Damn you Dr. Fate!!!!

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Canadian Netflix only has season 2 now of young justice, lame! Why no season 1!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    this is really really really making me sad about young justice being canceled.

also around that time the Green Lantern CGI cartoon followed it up on Saturday mornings.

Saturday mornings were pretty awesome for a second there. The Green Lantern cartoon really started to go places as they introduced the other lantern corps.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Green Lantern really wasn't given a chance. Would've loved a second season.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Has there ever been any followup to that buzz going around that getting a bunch of views on Young Justice on Netflix could lead to more?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Has there ever been any followup to that buzz going around that getting a bunch of views on Young Justice on Netflix could lead to more?

Nothing official, but Greg Weisman's twitter is full of retweets from fans asking for a 3rd season.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'd love like a season 1.5 too somehow, or do the comics hit that area at all?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

What got less of a chance, GL or Beware the Batman?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What got less of a chance, GL or Beware the Batman?

GL, it was actually good.

I couldn't stand the art style in BtB, and I kept getting bored during the actual episodes.