Options

We are all tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free of this [Election]

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Chuck Tingle has basically restored my faith in humanity. Sadly, the elections are certain to crush that faith all over again.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Looks like the Maine Democratic party is making it so Superdelegates are assigned based on vote percentage as opposed to whomever they feel like supporting

http://usuncut.com/politics/maine-democratic-party-just-got-rid-superdelegate-system/

The thing is even if every state did this Hillary would still win, so what is the point? It's just Bernie having sour grapes over losing and blaming it on how the party functions rather than accepting the loss.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Bernie specifically said in his interview with Maddow that he thinks Superdelegates should stay and still be able to make up their own minds.

He had issue with most of them deciding on Clinton before the primary had really begun and he had even entered the running or at least he's under the impression that they did.

He made the point that it creates the appearance of a stacked deck and makes it very hard for any insurgent campaign as he called it to get off the ground.

To which Maddow responded that they should just hold their fire then on their decisions for awhile and I believe Sanders either said yes or nodded in the affirmative as he moved on.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Looks like the Maine Democratic party is making it so Superdelegates are assigned based on vote percentage as opposed to whomever they feel like supporting

http://usuncut.com/politics/maine-democratic-party-just-got-rid-superdelegate-system/

The thing is even if every state did this Hillary would still win, so what is the point? It's just Bernie having sour grapes over losing and blaming it on how the party functions rather than accepting the loss.
    There's a lot of attention on the injustice inherent in the Superdelegate system and there are a lot of people who will leave the Democratic Party over a perceived misappropriation of that system to deny their candidate, regardless of who it is.

Some parts of the Democratic Party seem to be aware they are fighting for the continued relevance of the party. Some are in denial.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if we're in an era where the democratic party is less likely to be relevant than the racist bigot party, there should really be more armed uprisings against the establishment

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2016
    Ardent wrote: »

There's a lot of attention on the injustice inherent in the Superdelegate system and there are a lot of people who will leave the Democratic Party over a perceived misappropriation of that system to deny their candidate, regardless of who it is.

Some parts of the Democratic Party seem to be aware they are fighting for the continued relevance of the party. Some are in denial.

I wasn't aware that your guy losing would set you into permanent histrionics mode.

A duck! on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Superdelegates have always gone along with the candidate that has had the most regular delegates. The only iffy one is 1984 when Mondale only had a plurality against Gary Hart and Jesse Jackson.

It's not an "injustice", they are going along with what the popular vote has already said, just like they always have. If Sanders had gotten more delegates over Hillary they probably would have gone with him, just like they did in 2008 when Obama got more delegates than Hillary.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well I think their are going to have it take effect next election. But I think voting to the will of your constituents is a good thing. The Superdelagates are all elected officials who were elected into office by the people in order to act upon the will of those people. If 50% of the people want 1 candidate, and 50% another, and your state has 4 Superdelagates then each should get 2

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    If Bernie's campaign wasn't claiming that superdelegates (or more specifically, the forgone conclusion of their choice) had stolen the nomination from him, they'd be claiming that some other aspect of the Democratic party structure was stealing it from him

really, I am sick to death of hearing Bernie's campaign complain that it's not fair

instead of acknowledging the inconvenient realities of politics and finding ways to win despite them, he's whining and complaining about it and hoping someone will change the rules

it's like inverse House of Cards

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Superdelegates have never decided an election.

You can argue that they paint the perception that a candidate has no chance and that discourages people from voting, but that's more a media problem and also I don't think Sanders is hurting for enthusiastic supporters.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    If Bernie's campaign wasn't claiming that superdelegates (or more specifically, the forgone conclusion of their choice) had stolen the nomination from him, they'd be claiming that some other aspect of the Democratic party structure was stealing it from him

really, I am sick to death of hearing Bernie's campaign complain that it's not fair

instead of acknowledging the inconvenient realities of politics and finding ways to win despite them, he's whining and complaining about it and hoping someone will change the rules

it's like inverse House of Cards

What I hear is people not on Bernie's side attributing false quotes and ideas to him, that usually get debunked shortly thereafter. But oops, there goes another, snd another. I suppose that million+ Hilldawg pumped into social media has to pay dividends somewhere.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yes you have caught me

I am a mindless automaton brainwashed by "Hilldawg"

(Actually my opinion comes from statements I've read from the Sanders campaign, and while I'll freely admit I could be more educated on the issue and that my post above was somewhat unfair, I resent the assertion that I'm just parroting the Hillary campaign's words)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well I think their are going to have it take effect next election. But I think voting to the will of your constituents is a good thing. The Superdelagates are all elected officials who were elected into office by the people in order to act upon the will of those people. If 50% of the people want 1 candidate, and 50% another, and your state has 4 Superdelagates then each should get 2

States do not have numbers of superdelegates the way that they have regular delegates. Superdelegates are selected by the party, not "the people".

http://theweek.com/articles/615261/superdelegates-explained
    A superdelegate is typically an elite member of the Democratic Party falling into one of three categories:

1. A major elected official, including senators, members of the House, governors, and leaders from each state's Democratic Party. For example, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren are superdelegates.

2. A notable party figure, such as former and current presidents and vice presidents. For example, former President Bill Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden are superdelegates.

3. Select leaders of organizations affiliated with the Democratic National Committee. These select party elders get their superdelegate status automatically by virtue of the fact that they've been elected to public office. For example, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Louis Elrod of Young Democrats of America are superdelegates.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm sure bucket man meant chosen by the people in the sense that if the party chooses an elected official as a Superdelegate for a state, then yes that Superdelegate was sent to that elected office by the people to represent their interests.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm sure bucket man meant chosen by the people in the sense that if the party chooses an elected official as a Superdelegate for a state, then yes that Superdelegate was sent to that elected office by the people to represent their interests.

Yes, many of the people who are superdelgates are also elected officials who are long established members of the party.

And can we please stop calling Hillary "Hilldawg"? It makes me hungry and theres not a damn descent corn dog to be had around here lately.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    So if she gets elected how many restaurants and food trucks in DC start serving "Hilldogs" on their menu?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Yes, many of the people who are superdelgates are also elected officials who are long established members of the party.

And can we please stop calling Hillary "Hilldawg"? It makes me hungry and theres not a damn descent corn dog to be had around here lately.

you don't have Foster Farms frozen corn dogs at your grocery store? those are the good stuff.

• Options

you don't have Foster Farms frozen corn dogs at your grocery store? those are the good stuff.

Yeah their ok, but I want good, county fair corn dogs. 2 more month then I can get down on fried hot dogs, fried veggies, fried cheese, elephant ears, and some $0.25 Wendy's frostees

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »

I wasn't aware that your guy losing would set you into permanent histrionics mode.
    I am not, nor have I ever been, a registered Democrat. Because I have long had issues with the party.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So if she gets elected how many restaurants and food trucks in DC start serving "Hilldogs" on their menu?

I'll take four Hilldogs and a large side of Freedom Fries.

It's important to represent both Democratic and Republican food groups in a balanced electoral diet.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Isn't Bernie still saying the super delegates should select him over Clinton? I mean that's his convention election strat is it not?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sorry under the auspices of Commander in Chief For Life Trump all DC foodplaces now only Trump Steaks, because he is the best at meat, everyone loves his meat.

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Sorry under the auspices of Commander in Chief For Life Trump all DC foodplaces now only Trump Steaks, because he is the best at meat, everyone loves his meat.

Diet coke banned. Make Coke great again.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

third photo is my new desktop

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    What the Hell is happening there

Why does Mrs. Bush look like she is about to cry (is it just because she's 90, I know 90+ people who don't look that ready to cry)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

I could get behind banning artificial sweeteners.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Barbara "If they quote you, make damn sure they heard you" Bush.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

I am not, nor have I ever been, a registered Democrat. Because I have long had issues with the party.
    Oh well yeah it's going to wither and die without you. I think if it can survive 2004 it'll probably weather just about anything.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The idea that the democrats are in trouble because of Bernie losing is asinine. They're on the cusp of scoring a sixteen year shutout

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    superdelegates are important because when you don't have superdelegates things like Trump happen

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The sore losing of the sanders campaign is really poisoning some of their goodwill

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

I recently picked up diet coke to get me off drinking lemonade all the time. Best decision ever. 0 calories and tastes like fucking gold.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    Obama was at one point a smoker while president, and as a former smoker I have to ask myself

What exactly does the secret service do in that inevitable moment when you set yourself on fire just a little bit?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Drop and roll

• Options
    You're suggesting that the secret service drop the president and then roll him?

This seems like layers upon layers of bad ideas.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    No they call out Drop and Roll Mr President
    Or do the hand roll motion for Pres Dog

• Options

Oh well yeah it's going to wither and die without you. I think if it can survive 2004 it'll probably weather just about anything.
    I mean sure. But the parties are overwhelmingly populated by older voters. So uh.
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that the democrats are in trouble because of Bernie losing is asinine. They're on the cusp of scoring a sixteen year shutout
    Yeah, the trends are certainly bearing that out. Oh wait. I mean you could be right. But that's not how the US political system works. In fact whoever wins will have a higher chance of being the target of an assassination attempt than winning a second term, based on the trends.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

His meat his huge, the hugest, look at the size of his meat.

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    Obama was at one point a smoker while president, and as a former smoker I have to ask myself

What exactly does the secret service do in that inevitable moment when you set yourself on fire just a little bit?

Under section 17, subsection C, paragraph III.

If the president is alight to a minor extent, all secret service personnel are allowed, and encouraged to hit the president with pillows until the fire is extinguished.

This discussion has been closed.