Options

Marvel Comics Thread! This Week's Unlimited Book Club Pick: Warlock (2004) by Greg Pak!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I can't help but assume the worst out of every relaunch

Take the Cap title away from Sam, give Thor back to Odinson, Hulk back to Bruce, Wolverine's alive again
    I mean

Every relaunch/line addition they have had since the original Marvel Now has been pretty great for the most part?

All-New Marvel introduced Ms. Marvel and Loki: Agent of Asgard and Inhuman

And Avengers Now had FalCap and Jane Thor

And ANAD Marvel has been largely excellent

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

This week's Ms. Marvel is a tri-state science fair, with Kamala and Bruno leading the team from New Jersey, and Miles and Ganke leading the team from New York

oh my god

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

This week's Ms. Marvel is a tri-state science fair, with Kamala and Bruno leading the team from New Jersey, and Miles and Ganke leading the team from New York

oh my god

What's the third state and are they just completely screwed then?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

oh my god

Connecticut and they're trying to rules lawyer their way to victory

• Options
    OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

oh my god

Boo!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Ms. Marvel #7
    u6In0UH.png

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Tom Brevoort on the Captain America twist
    “Issue 2 will lay a lot of our cards on the table in terms of what the new status quo is, but the one thing we can say unequivocally is: This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.”

“His mission is to further the goals and beliefs of Hydra. If that involves taking down the Marvel universe, sure. (But) it may not be as simple as that. It’s not like he’s exchanged his white hat for a black hat — it’s a green hat."

He also confirms Steve is an undercover operative and has been for years and that the next issue will go to some "scary and shocking places".

FUUUUUCK THAAAAAAT

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ms. Marvel #7
    u6In0UH.png

The worst villains, ugh! Also that shark is clearly smiling.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

oh my god

Accurate.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Well, congratulations Marvel

You did something dumber than DC did during their whole new 52 fiasco

This makes the joker cutting his face off look downright brilliant

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    bring back Old Man Rogers

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    So I should go yell at Ed Brubaker, got it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So I should go yell at Ed Brubaker, got it

always put salt in your eyes

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I haven't read the comic yet either so like Ed I have no clue what everyone is yelling about until I click the spoiler above. I'm tempted not to as at the moment this is really amusing and I'm sure as soon as I click on the spoiler I'll go into Ragemode since Cap is one of my favourite superheroes.

• Options
    This also definitely reaffirms my belief that .
    Steve killed Jack Flag

If Steve is apparently willing to bring down the Marvel Universe to further his Hydra's goals then I have a hard time buying killing a dude he barely knows in a very easily deniable way is a bridge too far for him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I just..

(Cap)
    Are they going to spend the next 12 issues explaining how this isn't a massive continuity black hole?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Cap America panels
    I love the SECRET MEETING flyer for Hydra with the big skull and tentacles logo.
    Yeah, this looks legit. I might go. Bring your kids!
    pPn6rSJ.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'd just like to remind everyone that Brevoort loves to say things that are technically true but are extremely misleading, and sometimes he just outright lies.

Remember how he said that Age of Ultron was absolutely not an alternate future story?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm kinda with brubaker here

• Options
    I'd just like to remind everyone that Brevoort loves to say things that are technically true but are extremely misleading, and sometimes he just outright lies.

Remember how he said that Age of Ultron was absolutely not an alternate future story?
    Spencer is saying the same exact things though.

Like they absolutely could be lying through their teeth (because he already did about what this book is really about and admits that) but why should we assume they are when this is a being treated like a big huge shocker that deserves EW and USA Today interviews.

Either they're total assholes and going for cheap controversy buys in a way Marvel hasn't done in a while or they are telling the truth and everything that Spencer says sounds like the latter.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    All I know is that I refuse to believe anything is real until it carries over to a second story arc.

• Options
    I'm kinda with brubaker here
    I get that response

But Steve Rogers is a Very Important Character to me, on a personal level, and short of Brevoort and Spencer lying out the ass and the whole premise being bullshit, which I wouldn't Like anyways because that is sloppy storytelling and cheap, even if the story is well written it is such a fundamental change to what I love and find important about Steve Rogers that I don't care.

Like I've said, anyone else who is into it and interested, more power to you, I am strictly speaking about my personal views.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I dunno, while "wait and see where this goes" is certainly a valid approach to take, it's not the only valid one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being sold a premise and saying "no sir I am not buying that and I frankly can't believe you thought that was a good product to sell or that I would be interested in it". No one should have to use the damn thing for a thirty day trial before deciding whether they like it and no one should have to read multiple issues of a story whose premise is unappealing before deciding they don't like it. It's the job of the pitch to convince people to read a thing and if people decide they don't like it, well, that's either on the pitch or the story, not them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    As a Cap fan since pretty much birth this is awful. Above my side of the bed in our bedroom is an old poster that says "TRUST CAP TO LEAD THE WAY!"

The amount of friends texting me asking me if this will be in the movies is insane.

This is a huge, huge mistake.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well, they already lied by saying it was a simple fun adventure comic

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Oh jesus

I just realized something
    Brevoort says this adds a Hitchcockian element to the series whenever Steve is with other heroes as you know he is Hydra and has his own agenda but they don't and that covers are somewhat misleading.

Steve is shown trying to be a mediator in Civil War 2 between Tony and Carol

He is totally secretly instigating shit and making it worse between them so Hydra can gain a more stable foothold or something in the chaos

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Well, they already lied by saying it was a simple fun adventure comic
    Yeah, which is why I said they could totally be lying again now

But lying about the premise of the book and then lying again to national media about the real premise just seems so convoluted and stupid that I have a hard time seeing either of them do it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh jesus

I just realized something
    Brevoort says this adds a Hitchcockian element to the series whenever Steve is with other heroes as you know he is Hydra and has his own agenda but they don't and that covers are somewhat misleading.

Steve is shown trying to be a mediator in Civil War 2 between Tony and Carol

He is totally secretly instigating shit and making it worse between them so Hydra can gain a more stable foothold or something in the chaos
    Just what I want from comics. Every time Steve Rogers is in the room, worrying about whose lives he's going to fuck up. Fear and mistrust: Captain America!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think the reason this rubs me so violently the wrong way when I can usually roll with the retcon/shocking reveal punches and have when it comes to stuff like OMD or Dum Dum Duggan being an LMD or Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being mutants or Magnetos kids is
    It completely recontextualizes basically every Steve Rogers story

Like those other changes range from significant to minor but for the most part they don't change the core of the character and fuck up their existing history. Wanda and Pietro thought they were mutants and thought Erik was their dad, realizing he wasn't doesn't change those stories. Duggan being an LMD doesn't change those stories because he thought he was Duggan and had no idea he was an LMD so his actions are no different. Tony Stark being adopted and having a brother doesn't change anything about him because he didn't know that When his parents were alive so it only affects him going forward.

Having Steve be an undercover Hydra agent for years, possibly even his whole hero career, changes basically every story he has had because he IS a Hydra Agent and even if THE stories don't reflect that, it is now established that he has secretly been that in the background during them.

Obviously I can, and will, go back and read Captain America stuff and completely ignore it with very little effort but the fact that it is now a part of Marvel Universe history makes me really frustrated.

Like I said I don't expect Steve to suddenly be secretly super evil or anything but if he is willing to "bring down" the Marvel Universe and, potentially, kill another hero, he is not the man we thought we knew and loved.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Man I just don't know

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My assumption with how this Captain America stuff works is that
    Part of it has to do with him being de-aged. Like, those Hydra affiliations were buried deep within his psyche, and he never really acted on any of that previously or acknowledged them or whatever. He was loyal to Hydra as young man, but when Hydra became literal Nazis, he was more loyal to his country and he fought against Hydra as a result. And then just, you know, kept fighting against Hydra.

But the de-aging process put him back in the mental state he was in before he went to war, and his loyalty to Hydra no longer seems like, well, the big problem that it would have been back when they were literal Nazis.

It's bullshit pseudoscience and doesn't really make me much happier about it, but that's what I'm thinkin'

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The more I read about the events of this issue and their ramifications, the more I think "this can't be a permanent change".

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Part of it has to do with him being de-aged. Like, those Hydra affiliations were buried deep within his psyche, and he never really acted on any of that previously or acknowledged them or whatever. He was loyal to Hydra as young man, but when Hydra became literal Nazis, he was more loyal to his country and he fought against Hydra as a result. And then just, you know, kept fighting against Hydra.

But the de-aging process put him back in the mental state he was in before he went to war, and his loyalty to Hydra no longer seems like, well, the big problem that it would have been back when they were literal Nazis.

It's bullshit pseudoscience and doesn't really make me much happier about it, but that's what I'm thinkin'
    Brevoort says he has been an undercover operative and Spencer describes him as Hydra's most valuable asset so unless he has only recently been doing that that, sadly, seems unlikely.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Brevoort says he has been an undercover operative so unless he has only recently been doing that that, sadly, seems unlikely.
    It certainly could be that he was under some sort of mentally-programmed cover that never got activated, which would save them from having to explain all the previous stuff. Something about him getting de-aged somehow triggered his activation or whatever. Still don't really like that though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    My guess is:
    Kobik accidentally shifted reality when restoring Cap and changed his history. Possibly due to a subtle influence by Skull's telepathy.

• Options

Brevoort says he has been an undercover operative so unless he has only recently been doing that that, sadly, seems unlikely.
    It certainly could be that he was under some sort of mentally-programmed cover that never got activated, which would save them from having to explain all the previous stuff. Something about him getting de-aged somehow triggered his activation or whatever. Still don't really like that though.
    That would go against the but where they straight up say "This is Steve Rogers acting as himself." he's not being controlled or influenced by anyone according to Brevoort and Spencer. They go out of their way to clarify it isn't any fuckery and is the real deal Steve Rogers.

Which again, could be a lie!

But for now it is more likely to be the truth

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more I think it has to be
    Kobik

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The more I think about it, the more I think it has to be
    Kobik
    It totally could be!

But then the whole story is basically pointless.

There is basically no way I can think of them pulling this off in a way I would enjoy.

Playing it straight and nopenopenope
    Steve is a double Agent and okay then you just lied about everything twice that's some shitty storytelling and marketing
    Steve is altered by Kobik and it gets undone, you lied again and also this is basically a Dark Steve Rogers book that you're pretending it isn't which is not something I am interested in

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.