Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thanks that worked. I had to reinstall it in it's own partition, which made all the other files recoverable, but overall it's a little small to work with. I'm thinking of just getting a larger drive. Once I do, I can do a clean install on that new drive without any problems right? And then use the older one as a backup or other random storage? What's the correct order of operations?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Thanks that worked. I had to reinstall it in it's own partition, which made all the other files recoverable, but overall it's a little small to work with. I'm thinking of just getting a larger drive. Once I do, I can do a clean install on that new drive without any problems right? And then use the older one as a backup or other random storage? What's the correct order of operations?

When you get a new drive, the way I would handle it is:

1. Disconnect the old drive.
    2. Install the new drive.
    3. Install windows. You can use the same install media you just used. Clean install is going to be the only option. You might want to check the advanced settings to make sure the entire hard disk is being formatted into a new NTFS partition. If the disk is unformatted it will probably prompt you to make a new partition which you should set to be the size of the disk. If the disk is already formatted you should delete any partitions that are there and make a new one.
    4. Reconnect the old drive when the install process is over.
    5. Move any files you want to keep over to the new disk.
    6. Use the disk management utility (which can be accessed by typing 'disk management' into start. It will probably list it as something silly like 'create and format hard disk partitions'). Delete all of the partitions on the old hard drive. Create a new partition that takes up the full capacity of the drive and format it as NTFS.

You can use the old drive for whatever you want at this point.

The only trouble you might run into is with step 4, when you reconnect your old drive. The old drive will still be bootable. Which hard drive the computer boots from will be decided by the bios, so if it ends up booting into the old install, restart the computer and change the boot device priority in the bios.

LD50 on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Fan noise is a factor. It actually woke me up the next morning.

I know I'm not satisfied with the high temp results, but I also know it isn't a normal result anyway.

But, I thank you for the advice. We'll see soon enough.

I don't see anything unordinary with what you're reporting. I think you're fine. I'm guessing some tweaks via Link will bring your temps down; but like you said, Prime95 is specifically meant to stress the system. If it stayed around 80F I think that's pretty solid.

---
    In other news, I got an email from my wife today. She wants me to help her pick out monitors for work (she can tell them what to buy). In addition, I may have convinced her to take one of my Monoprice monitors for home use; which means I can start looking at the 1440p monitors in earnest. Is the one linked a few pages ago still on sale?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I want a second monitor on account of my current one is quite old and having a bunch of monitors at work has been awesome.

So.... what's looking good for the thrifty hobbyist at the 1680 x 1050 or above range? I don't need 4k or anything.

I guess one thing I'd like recommendations about too is a nice stand-thing or arm to attach them to. Currently when I type my monitor jiggles and dangit that's annoying. I want some method of reducing that. Would an arm even do that? I guess it's more the desk that's the issue.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Good lord the 1080 is a beast

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    when will the new cards show up on sites for ordering?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I want to say Friday for the 1080 and middle of next month for the 1070.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Do any of you fine guys know where I could find any information on why GPUs currently go with 3x DisplayPort and 1x HDMI, instead of something more practical for the mass consumer base like 2x HDMI and 2x DisplayPort?

Seems like the list of people needing to connect three GSync monitors simultaneously is probably pretty small compared to the list of people who might like to run two HDMI displays like a TV and a monitor.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I want to say Friday for the 1080 and middle of next month for the 1070.

27th May for Founder's Edition 1080 @ $699 (which nobody should buy)
    Unspecified date for aftermarket 1080, rumours say June.
    June 10th for Founder's Edition 1070 @ $449 (which nobody should buy)
    June 10th for aftermarket/third party 1070 @ $379 (which everybody below a 980 should seriously consider)

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Do any of you fine guys know where I could find any information on why GPUs currently go with 3x DisplayPort and 1x HDMI, instead of something more practical for the mass consumer base like 2x HDMI and 2x DisplayPort?

Seems like the list of people needing to connect three GSync monitors simultaneously is probably pretty small compared to the list of people who might like to run two HDMI displays like a TV and a monitor.

My guess is that it's because it's easier to convert from display port to hdmi than it is to do it the other way around.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I don't think there are universal 'everyone should consider' metrics.

To my mind, if you're gaming at a resolution where your current card can't keep a respectable minimum frame rate, then sure, consider going for the new hotness.

Most people on 1920x1080 are doing fine on GTX 970s, 780, 980. 1440P is still holding strong on a GTX 980 OCed or a 980Ti.

DX12 isn't really prevalent yet, and VR is still very much for early adopters, and while it is nice that NVidia is delivering technologies that improve those environments in this generation, they're not quite to the benefit of most gamers yet.

And well, for my case, it seems that none of the new Nvidia cards are going to deliver 50+ minimum fps at 2160P outside of SLI.

So I'm quite content to be doing 1080P on my big HDTV on a GTX 970, until I can upgrade to a 4K TV, and a single GPU that can drive that.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    user wrote: »
    Most people on 1920x1080 are doing fine on GTX 970s, 780, 980. 1440P is still holding strong on a GTX 980 OCed or a 980Ti.

Doom just released and I'm playing it at 1920x1080 with everything set to high, no AA, and 16X AF and getting anywhere from 40-130fps. Most of the time it's at a solid 60.

I'm doing this on a 3GB R9 280x, which is a two year old rebadge of a three and a half year old overclocked version of a four year old GPU that is sitting in a system with a five year old i5 2500 (running at 3.3GHz stock). I've even been able to play some newer games supersampled at 2560x1440/2K with decent results. Also, this 280x is the ASUS version that has artifacting issues at higher clockspeeds, so I have it underclocked to reference speeds. These insanely long console generations are a godsend for people like me, you can get away with some pretty neat stuff with some pretty ancient hardware.

I could see the virtue in buying a 1070 for 1080p gaming if you had a 144hz monitor and wanted to hit a consistent 144fps or something though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What is going on with DX12? I thought it was suppose to be the Messiah of PC gaming.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Just like DX11 was?

That's what is going on.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I think there's one DX12 game out right now. Given modern dev cycles, it will be another year or two before it really matters.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Just in time for DX13!

As an aside, I think the reason I may have thought my CPU was automatically OC'd was that during the Prime tests the turbo kicked in and then never turned off. I'm pretty sure I was confusing the 6700k turbo speed with the FX-8370 speed.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    There's a handful of games with DX12 that are out right now. I've played a couple -- Rise of the Tomb Raider, which gives somewhat of a boost over DX11 in certain areas, and Forza 6 Apex, which is fantastic. DX12 is different enough from previous APIs where just simply bolting it on an existing renderer isn't going to give you much. You have to plan well in advance and very carefully to take advantage of its low-level hardware access, and that's not going to happen overnight (or, you know, if at all).

Basically, "Hey, when is Epic going to get a good DX12 renderer in UE?"

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Huh. Just realized that the new cards don't have 2 DVI ports. I've never actually had to think about the ports on my GPU.

Guess I can just track down an HDMI to DVI adapter and use that since I only have 1 HDMI port between both of my monitors and it's used for my consoles.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

My guess is that it's because it's easier to convert from display port to hdmi than it is to do it the other way around.

Exactly. DisplayPort is a far more capable connection type but can be backwards compatible with HDMI. HDMI's bandwidth is much more limited than DP and can't push 4k@60hz.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It's like, when the Geforce 6800 came out with dual DVI, and there were people asking why. Who's going to use two DVI monitors instead of VGA? Why does it have two of these things?

Cuz it's mo better that's why.

• Options
    I have no problem shifting from one format to another with connectors. Though I'd probably try to find at least one DVI-out port simply because I have a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    wait a couple more years when all our video cards will just come with USB C out ports for Video.

It probably will happen.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    wait a couple more years when all our video cards will just come with USB C out ports for Video.

It probably will happen.

I feel like it's going to be Thunderbolt eventually. USB-C can't do PCI-E passthrough.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

It probably will happen.

I feel like it's going to be Thunderbolt eventually. USB-C can't do PCI-E passthrough.

well, thunderbolt 3.0 is actually a USB C connector. a Thunderbolt 3.0 port does Thunderbolt and/or USB 3.1 Gen 2.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Exactly. DisplayPort is a far more capable connection type but can be backwards compatible with HDMI. HDMI's bandwidth is much more limited than DP and can't push 4k@60hz.

Pretty sure HDMI 2.0 can do 4K@60Hz. Earlier versions can't.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of turning off my computer and when I turned it back on.......

Nothing....

No post. Just a boot cycle.

So wants to help me throw parts at this computer until it works?

PSU, MOBO, or CPU?

You decide!

(Though first I'm getting an internal speaker to see if this thing is beeping anything.)

Though I could get another cooler for my old 2500K and see if it boots with this current PSU. If it does, then I just say 'fuck it' and RMA both the MOBO and CPU.

• Options
    What do you mean by boot cycle?

• Options
    Turns on. Doesn't post. Turns off. Turns on. Doesn't post. Turns off.

Does this nonstop unless i switch off the PSU.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    CPU fan not detected, maybe? Loose RAM stick?

• Options
    There are lots of results doing a search for this. The most likely culprit seems to be a bad MB. Try the tips in the 'best answer' here.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Canadian Pricing for the GTX 1080 Founders edition is (unsurprisingly) brutal. Most cards are sitting at $909 through NCIX, with some almost touching $1000. For whatever reason, the more trusted brands are the cheaper ones, with PNY and Zotac being the most unreasonable. Time to sit on ass, and see what the aftermarket cooler versions are worth, but I have a sinking feeling they won't be any cheaper.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options

That sounds like a bad mainboard. What model is yours? Can you give us your specs?

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Canadian Pricing for the GTX 1080 Founders edition is (unsurprisingly) brutal. Most cards are sitting at $909 through NCIX, with some almost touching $1000. For whatever reason, the more trusted brands are the cheaper ones, with PNY and Zotac being the most unreasonable. Time to sit on ass, and see what the aftermarket cooler versions are worth, but I have a sinking feeling they won't be any cheaper.

I thought the purpose of the Founder's Edition was that they were going to be made by NVIDIA while the other companies added their own coolers. So what's the difference if we have these Founder's Editions made by Asus and everyone else?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

That sounds like a bad mainboard. What model is yours? Can you give us your specs?

Gigabyte x99p-sli

Evga 16 GB RAM

Corsair 750w

980gtx gigabyte

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Well this is interesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704301

TP-Link has released the first router to support the 802.11AD standard, claiming to support up to ~4.6 gigabits over a 60Ghz frequency. Will be looking forward to seeing range and stability tests on this new standard.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

TP-Link has released the first router to support the 802.11AD standard, claiming to support up to ~4.6 gigabits over a 60Ghz frequency. Will be looking forward to seeing range and stability tests on this new standard.

With how much 5ghz gets blocked by walls over just 2.4ghz, I would think that a 60ghz signal would only be good in like the room of the router.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

man, I originally thought you meant 6.0 GHz, not 60. I can't see 60GHz having any kind of wall penetration.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    BouwsT wrote: »

I thought the purpose of the Founder's Edition was that they were going to be made by NVIDIA while the other companies added their own coolers. So what's the difference if we have these Founder's Editions made by Asus and everyone else?

Ya, I'm at a loss as well. I guess something was lost in translation, or the aftermarkets saw an opportunity to just get a slice of that founder edition pie.

Edit: They've already adjusted most pricing down to an even playing field, with only the PNY offering being out of line. Everything besides the box on these looks to be reference.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Did some quick reading on AD wifi. Looks like it's designed for very short range same room applications where you want fast speeds. So streaming from a tablet to your tv, wireless portable hdd, file transfers between laptops, etc.

Not really all that useful to have on a router itself, much better for peer to peer things.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
This discussion has been closed.