As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Did some quick reading on AD wifi. Looks like it's designed for very short range same room applications where you want fast speeds. So streaming from a tablet to your tv, wireless portable hdd, file transfers between laptops, etc.

Not really all that useful to have on a router itself, much better for peer to peer things.

It could be a blessing in disguise for people living in apartments where good penetration just means ass tons of interference.
    LD50 wrote: »
    Turns on. Doesn't post. Turns off. Turns on. Doesn't post. Turns off.

Does this nonstop unless i switch off the PSU.

That sounds like a bad mainboard. What model is yours? Can you give us your specs?

Gigabyte x99p-sli

Evga 16 GB RAM

Corsair 750w

980gtx gigabyte

I've heard other people with the same mainboard have had the same problem. You should RMA it if it's still in warranty.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Man if that is accurate and the price is within their bit-over-a-970 range target that is insane value.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

That sounds like a bad mainboard. What model is yours? Can you give us your specs?

I think I'm just going to swing by microcenter and grab s PSU. My current one is almost a decade old and I'm itching for s modular PSU. If it isn't it. RMA time.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of turning off my computer and when I turned it back on.......

Nothing....

No post. Just a boot cycle.

So wants to help me throw parts at this computer until it works?

PSU, MOBO, or CPU?

You decide!

(Though first I'm getting an internal speaker to see if this thing is beeping anything.)

Though I could get another cooler for my old 2500K and see if it boots with this current PSU. If it does, then I just say 'fuck it' and RMA both the MOBO and CPU.

I had this behavior on my admittedly much older PC, a Rampage IIIe Asus x58 board. Turns out it was RAM related, specifically I lost a set of sockets.

I recommend just removing and reseating your RAM, and if that doesn't work -- then try running on just one stick.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Did that last night and it resulted in more if the same behavior.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Uh.

Help me out here.

A Founder's Edition is just the same reference card no matter who is selling it, right?

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/2250

And I should still just sit tight and wait for them to reveal their custom models?

I wonder if that'll be at midnight tonight?

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Uh.

Help me out here.

A Founder's Edition is just the same reference card no matter who is selling it, right?

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/2250

And I should still just sit tight and wait for them to reveal their custom models?

I wonder if that'll be at midnight tonight?

same card, wait for the custom models.

Might take a few weeks.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So I'm having either WHEA Uncorrectable errors or Machine Check Errors on startup. Can't get to a login screen.

My desktop has been off for several weeks and had no errors before. It didn't get any real bumps during my recent move.

All the fans work. I get BIOS imagery on my screen so my video input isn't in the wrong DVI port on my computer. I don't get more diagnostic info.

It says 'Preparing Automatic Repair' sometimes but naught else.

It offers me system restore to a previous state but that just gives me the windows 10 logo on a black screen for a long time followed by a shutting off.

Anyone ever experienced this or know of a general troubleshooting method here?

Edit: I could log in but the bastard thing seemed slow, had potato resolution and before I could look at Control Panel it said "PC ran into error needs to shut down. Collecting info. WHEA_uncorrectable_error".

IMPORTANT EDIT: Putting the processor fan connection on the motherboard really firmly in place seems to have done the trick. Am I correct in assuming that was the issue?

OH BOY EDIT AGAIN: Finally things seem to be working. Fricking fans.

Absalon on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Howdy folks!

So I finally did it. I got my new PC. It's all nice and shiny and quiet and I love it.

Though I do have a question. So, I got a GTX980. Every so often I will get a message that the display driver stopped working and the screen will flash, and recover, and it's back to business. The funny/interesting/strange thing is, if I go into my GE Experience program after this happens, it cannot "detect" my card and I have to restart to get it working.

First thought was maybe the card was overheating. I can see the fans spinning, and the program it came with to customize these things (not Experience) has the fans set to Auto (but it never displays the actual temperature, don't know why).

This only seems to happen when I'm playing Marvel Heroes. No idea if that's related. But I've been on other games and not have it happen. (In fact, if you use Experience, you know that it has a section where you can Optimize your games. When I first set the PC up, Marvel Heroes was an available game to Optimize. Since this started happening, however, MH is no longer listed. I can't even add it back.)

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'm worried that I might burn out the video card (if it is indeed heat-related).

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Do you have a program to monitor the temperatures?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Howdy folks!

So I finally did it. I got my new PC. It's all nice and shiny and quiet and I love it.

Though I do have a question. So, I got a GTX980. Every so often I will get a message that the display driver stopped working and the screen will flash, and recover, and it's back to business. The funny/interesting/strange thing is, if I go into my GE Experience program after this happens, it cannot "detect" my card and I have to restart to get it working.

First thought was maybe the card was overheating. I can see the fans spinning, and the program it came with to customize these things (not Experience) has the fans set to Auto (but it never displays the actual temperature, don't know why).

This only seems to happen when I'm playing Marvel Heroes. No idea if that's related. But I've been on other games and not have it happen. (In fact, if you use Experience, you know that it has a section where you can Optimize your games. When I first set the PC up, Marvel Heroes was an available game to Optimize. Since this started happening, however, MH is no longer listed. I can't even add it back.)

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'm worried that I might burn out the video card (if it is indeed heat-related).

You can get a program like GPU-Z to track the temps: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Make sure to check the box to keep the graph updating in the background.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I think I'm just going to swing by microcenter and grab s PSU. My current one is almost a decade old and I'm itching for s modular PSU. If it isn't it. RMA time.

I'd bet a lot of money it's your motherboard. This exact same thing happened to me last summer and I tried fiddling with all manner of stuff, but eventually replacing the motherboard fixed it up fine.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    The building has begun.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TKQWFT

I've purchased the CPU.
    I replaced that CPU Cooler with a H100i v2.
    I have a HAF X in the box.
    I'll probably buy a aftermarket 1080.

I am excite.

Any input on items to be purchased will be considered.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Howdy folks!

You can get a program like GPU-Z to track the temps: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Make sure to check the box to keep the graph updating in the background.

Thanks- I'll try that and see what it says.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Howdy folks!

What Geforce driver are you using? I've been having issues with every damned driver update they've posted since 364.72, and the issues I was having with 365 and above sound pretty similar to what you've been describing.

However, if you're concerned about temps, I'd suggest using MSI Afterburner (even if you don't have an MSI card). It's an overclocking program, but I mostly use it for custom fan profiles and monitoring usage/temperature.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

that just makes buying a 1080 an even sillier proposition, the 1070 is half the price and 85% of the performance.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    @ringswraith I'm pretty sure you're getting TDRs. I suffered through those like crazy until I reformatted. Was this new PC self-built? Pre-built?

And even if it was probably just a coincedence, Istill ssuspect iTunes (POS!) was reaponsible since I had my first TDR since after installing iTunes recently. So I suppose I'm asking if you have iTunes installed.

Plus, you'll see lots of talk about rolling back display drivers. I personally disbelieve that matters and people just managed to resolve the issue independently of a rollback. But that doesn't mean it isn't at least worth a try before a reformat. Download the latest DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller, that's its actual name) and run it to make sure you clear out old drivers.

• Options
    @ringswraith I'm pretty sure you're getting TDRs. I suffered through those like crazy until I reformatted. Was this new PC self-built? Pre-built?

And even if it was probably just a coincedence, Istill ssuspect iTunes (POS!) was reaponsible since I had my first TDR since after installing iTunes recently. So I suppose I'm asking if you have iTunes installed.

Plus, you'll see lots of talk about rolling back display drivers. I personally disbelieve that matters and people just managed to resolve the issue independently of a rollback. But that doesn't mean it isn't at least worth a try before a reformat. Download the latest DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller, that's its actual name) and run it to make sure you clear out old drivers.

Usually, doing a "Clean Install" custom install option for the older Nvidia driver will do the trick just fine (at least, it has for me every single time I've needed to do a rollback).

And speaking of rollbacks, your personal belief or disbelief is fairly irrelevant. I installed 365+, Geforce Experience doesn't detect a video card installed (or a driver) on three separate computers. Revert to 364.72, apparently I have a video card (and corresponding driver) again...again on three separate computers. No other changes were made. Installs on all three systems were done exactly the same way. With some issues, a driver rollback absolutely works.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My personal belief is not irrelevant. Absolutely, a poor driver release would likely require a rollback. But, when I did it, after reading post after post after post stating a rollback was the 'only fix' and having zero positive results, I can say for certain that it is not the fix-all you might claim it to be.

I did say to give it a try. But I put no particular faith that it would definitely resolve a TDR issue. My experience with the issue may not be more valid, strictly speaking, but neither can it be simply dismissed out of hand.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

I'd bet a lot of money it's your motherboard. This exact same thing happened to me last summer and I tried fiddling with all manner of stuff, but eventually replacing the motherboard fixed it up fine.

Holy crap is this new PSU silent. Sadly it didn't fix my problem. Time to RMA this board and be computer-less for awhile. Heh. I guess I have an excuse to turn on my PS4 after all these months.

• Options
    My personal belief is not irrelevant. Absolutely, a poor driver release would likely require a rollback. But, when I did it, after reading post after post after post stating a rollback was the 'only fix' and having zero positive results, I can say for certain that it is not the fix-all you might claim it to be.

I did say to give it a try. But I put no particular faith that it would definitely resolve a TDR issue. My experience with the issue may not be more valid, strictly speaking, but neither can it be simply dismissed out of hand.

Never suggested that it should be dismissed. Since we don't know for sure exactly what the problem is (it might be a TDR issue...it also might not be a TDR issue and is something else entirely), there are things to try and test out to see what will actually fix things. Which means that your belief or disbelief of the veracity of one of the things to test for is irrelevant. It's a thing that has worked...it might work here...we won't know until it's tried. It is also a thing that might not work (as it was in your case)...doesn't mean that it doesn't work at all. All of which is beside the point that I was making:

The part that I was drawing issue with in your statement was that driver rollbacks don't fix anything...which, given certain situations, is a pretty bold (and incorrect) statement. Sure, for a TDR issue, it wouldn't do much (if anything at all). But, as I mentioned above, we don't for sure that this is a TDR thing.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Did some quick reading on AD wifi. Looks like it's designed for very short range same room applications where you want fast speeds. So streaming from a tablet to your tv, wireless portable hdd, file transfers between laptops, etc.

Not really all that useful to have on a router itself, much better for peer to peer things.
    Gonna be just what I need when I get my studio apartment.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular

Bloody hell.

I'm saving for a GTX 1080 and a 1440p monitor but... I don't know, would the 1070 perform as well at 1440p? I'm currently using an EVGA GTX 780 and am only just starting to see games occasionally drop below 30fps on a 1080p resolution.

I'm running an Intel 4670K with 16gb of DDR3 and mostly playing games from SSDs.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Howdy folks!

What Geforce driver are you using? I've been having issues with every damned driver update they've posted since 364.72, and the issues I was having with 365 and above sound pretty similar to what you've been describing.

However, if you're concerned about temps, I'd suggest using MSI Afterburner (even if you don't have an MSI card). It's an overclocking program, but I mostly use it for custom fan profiles and monitoring usage/temperature.

Well my system just prompted me to install version 368.22, so we'll see how that goes.

As far as Afterburner goes, I don't need it to do anything fancy. I don't overclock or anything. Is there an easy way to set the fan profiles to just make sure it doesn't run hot? (Sorry- first time I've ever had a PC where this was an option.)

And my PC was put together myself. Well, I was linked a parts list and a Youtube video of putting it together...

• Options
    Kneel wrote: »

Bloody hell.

I'm saving for a GTX 1080 and a 1440p monitor but... I don't know, would the 1070 perform as well at 1440p? I'm currently using an EVGA GTX 780 and am only just starting to see games occasionally drop below 30fps on a 1080p resolution.

I'm running an Intel 4670K with 16gb of DDR3 and mostly playing games from SSDs.

1070 should handle 1440p handily.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Looks like I have good timing as their is video card talk going on. I'm not looking for anything in the GTX 1070 price range, though.

So anyway, computer is mostly used for WoW and occasional older games (most of my gaming is on consoles) as far as gaming is concerned so I don't need anything too fancy or special. New WoW expansion due out soon, computer is aging, etc. I've got an old radeon 5770 right now, so just about anything currently available will be an upgrade. What I'm leaning towards is a 4GB GTX 960 based card... something in the $200 range. I mostly want to turn up my WoW graphics to pretty close to maxed out when the xpac comes out. I'm currently running 1440x900 due to 19" display, but plan to get a bigger monitor before the end of the year.

I think my main question is, am I good to buy now-ish or should I wait until closer to xpac release date for price drops on video cards. This news of the GTX 1070 makes me think maybe we'll see price drops on other cards and I'll be able to do better than a GTX 960 if I hold out or save another $20-$40 on the 960.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There have been a few leaks in shipping documents of a 1060 on the lists, as yet to be announced, if and when they come out they will either totally outclass a 960 for the same price, or drive the stock of those cards down a fair chunk of change by existing. AMD are also announcing new cards at the end of the month that are supposedly aimed at that mid range market as well, so there are new options coming along at a fair clip.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the next few months are going to see the release of a bunch of new cards or at the very least news on their release.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So, people who know so much more than me about the state of PC but building, I've been laptop only for....almost 10 years now. Can I just grab my price level at logical increments and play overwatch? Not looking to max everything out, just need a box for games no more intense than that at 60fps, and some Photoshop work. Would bumping up a processor level be likely helpful for things like that?

My budget will be around 6-800 and I hear nvidia is about to release some uber cards, is it worth waiting for those to cause a price drop where my budget is or is that 6mo+out? I know no matter what prices will drop over time, but if they are about to woosh by...

• Options
    So, people who know so much more than me about the state of PC but building, I've been laptop only for....almost 10 years now. Can I just grab my price level at logical increments and play overwatch? Not looking to max everything out, just need a box for games no more intense than that at 60fps, and some Photoshop work. Would bumping up a processor level be likely helpful for things like that?

My budget will be around 6-800 and I hear nvidia is about to release some uber cards, is it worth waiting for those to cause a price drop where my budget is or is that 6mo+out? I know no matter what prices will drop over time, but if they are about to woosh by...

Nvidias own version of the cards is dropping in a matter of days. Companies will start bringing out their own versions in the next month or so. Definitely worth waiting for them. In the mean time AMD might well put out some news on their latest line while you're waiting.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    What I've seen though puts the new cards at about $700, which to be clear, is the whole budget, not my video card budget. So I was wondering if that release will really affect me down here

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    To be fair, yes the 1080s and even 1070s are probably going to be out of your budget. The 1060 or AMD's new set might well be more in your wheel house. I wouldn't think they'd be more than 6 months out, but who knows really.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Looks like I have good timing as their is video card talk going on. I'm not looking for anything in the GTX 1070 price range, though.

So anyway, computer is mostly used for WoW and occasional older games (most of my gaming is on consoles) as far as gaming is concerned so I don't need anything too fancy or special. New WoW expansion due out soon, computer is aging, etc. I've got an old radeon 5770 right now, so just about anything currently available will be an upgrade. What I'm leaning towards is a 4GB GTX 960 based card... something in the $200 range. I mostly want to turn up my WoW graphics to pretty close to maxed out when the xpac comes out. I'm currently running 1440x900 due to 19" display, but plan to get a bigger monitor before the end of the year.

I think my main question is, am I good to buy now-ish or should I wait until closer to xpac release date for price drops on video cards. This news of the GTX 1070 makes me think maybe we'll see price drops on other cards and I'll be able to do better than a GTX 960 if I hold out or save another $20-$40 on the 960.

I would not have thought there would be a lot of difference between a 960 and any card above it for WoW. It's not really a GPU game.

I saw zero change in framerares in WoW when I moved from a 770 to a 980Ti.

• Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm playing Overwatch on a 7750 at 1440p and getting 40-70 FPS, medium quality. Making me have second thoughts about upgrading to a 1070 for now, but sure there will other non-Blizzard games I'll want to play on the new PC at some point.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Did you have a form factor or case type/size in mind? My build, made with suggestions from here in this thread, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DfvRsJ came inside that range. Played Overwatch during the open beta with no real issue on my tv at 1080p. Including Windows would put you over or at the top end of it

I'd recommend waiting for the new cards to hit either way. There's bound to be something better then the 950 or 960 for comparable prices from either Nvidia or AMD.

• Options
    Update: Didn't now MSI Afterburner had such helpful videos (if a tad long in the intros).

So I downloaded it, and set the fan profile. Seems to be running fine.

Haven't experienced the error since updating my drivers, but might be too soon to tell. Experience still isn't detecting that my card is supported, though. I've half a mind to just uninstall the darn thing.

Of course, now that I have MSI Afterburner, do I need to uninstall the program my card came with that does the same functions?

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »

Did you have a form factor or case type/size in mind? My build, made with suggestions from here in this thread, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DfvRsJ came inside that range. Played Overwatch during the open beta with no real issue on my tv at 1080p. Including Windows would put you over or at the top end of it

I'd recommend waiting for the new cards to hit either way. There's bound to be something better then the 950 or 960 for comparable prices from either Nvidia or AMD.

Form factor is not super important, I'll have room under the desk, but had no real inclination to get a monster. So long as it has decent airflow and fits all the things, I figured case was something I could save on, if it's ugly it'le be out of sight anyway, and I'm not going to trick it out with lights etc.

Looking at what you posted, I'd probably want to swap out to a full size case if only because I plan to throw 16GB of ram in there because I run dumb programs like FlowJo for work that just eat whatever you throw at them.
    Looking around everything is just so far beyond my 4 year old midrange when I got it laptop, I've no clue how to compare graphics cards anymore beyond trusting that most of the time the more expensive one on newegg is probably better than the cheaper one.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Just for the record, there's 16GB of DDR4 in there.

• Options
    Of course, now that I have MSI Afterburner, do I need to uninstall the program my card came with that does the same functions?

Only if you don't need any other function from it. And even then, only if you need the space or system resources. Though, uninstalling unneeded programs never hurts anything and you can always reinstall later.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    OK SO pc part picker looks amazing? But who konws what I've just done, tell me why the following is an awful idea for mid range gaming and slightly heavy data analysis work:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YrW9TH

rapid edit for fixed link.

QuantumTurk on
This discussion has been closed.