As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] FF7 Golden Saucer Dating Sim continues. New DU tomorrow night.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I put my Cleansing Strike out there as my RW as I figured it'd be really handy for everyone, but I get like 4 or 5 uses vs Nibelheim on Sephiroth.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Took a few different configurations, but was able to master kuja u+. Tips to avoid healing until after gravija were key to helping me avoid damage medals lost. I also tried to push damage as much as possible to not lose action medals, so my healer avoiding anything unless needed also helped.

Yuna, shellga, curaja, mako might, hymn of the faith
    Ramza, full break, lifesiphon, dr mog teachings, shout and tailwind
    Agrias, lifesiphon, saint cross, +20% sword damage rm, hallowed bolt
    Celes, drain blade, armor break, dragoon determination, runic blade
    Auron, lifesiphon, magic break, +20% sword damage rm, banishing blade
    Rw wall

S/L until I had to do no healing until after gravija, then slowed down slightly to heal up before the scripted aoe attacks, then got lucky. I had two synergy swords and 5 resist lightning accessories plus very lucky ssb. This guy is no joke.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Another couple of 11 pulls on Kuja 2 because I really want one of the prizes

22 3* orbs

Ffffffuck me

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Getting one complete whiff is bad enough, but two in a row? Plus whatever pulls you did earlier, that's rough. Reminds me of my pulls on Basch 1, the first pull had a rainbow but no earthquake, and turned out to be a Striking Staff (VII). The next two pulls didn't even get me a rainbow. Japan really has the advantage right now with the guaranteed 5* item on an 11 pull, I really hope they implement that in Global.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ahaha. Fought the Magicmaster in the FFVI story dungeons. Killed him with an RW Seiken Shock. Meaning that his death-throes Ultima triggered as soon as I had a Magic Blink go up. Hilarious.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Scraped together another 50 Mythril to try one more pull on the Kuja banner.

Got a 5-star item!

And it's a Gauntlet. Ugh. The only 5-star on the banner with no Soul Break, character or not. Just come on.

And of course, its stats suck.

Enlong on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    at this point i don't think i'm going to roll for anything else until the BSB fest

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    at this point i don't think i'm going to roll for anything else until the BSB fest

There's only one banner between now and then worth half a damn anyway.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hell it might be its probably more than one banner since the festival banner hasn't even been translated yet

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So I put up Rosa's White Dress as my new RW (Party Protect & Shell)
    It doesn't stack with Wall, or other Shell / Protect, but figured it might be handy for people that have Wall and want to save an ability slot or two.

Is that logical? or should I go back to my Relm with her Cat Eared Hood (8 hit AOE summon non elemental with blind chance)

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Relms SB would probably get more summons since people will use it on farm days

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Hell it might be its probably more than one banner since the festival banner hasn't even been translated yet

The last thing translated is the Big Bridge boss gauntlet, which is both pushed way back (happened after Kuja in Japan, same time as Cait Sith), and when the BSSBFest was done. It's an all but sure bet that the BSSBFest will be happening during it in Global as well.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    Am I missing any 5* physical AoE abilities? Tornado Strike, Sky Grinder, Flashing Blade, Doppelblade. Tornado Strike (not many 5* spellblades) and Sky Grinder require wind orbs, and Doppelblade is low(est) multiplier (probably because it applies Sap, which U/U+ bosses won't be weak to going forward - mostly useless!). Flashing Blade is relatively easy to hone, but there aren't many 5* samurai. I'd hone Sky Grinder if I could afford it, but I can't. I think Flashing Blade is probably going to be the AoE skill of choice for a while.

• Options
    Daffydd wrote: »
    Am I missing any 5* physical AoE abilities? Tornado Strike, Sky Grinder, Flashing Blade, Doppelblade. Tornado Strike (not many 5* spellblades) and Sky Grinder require wind orbs, and Doppelblade is low(est) multiplier (probably because it applies Sap, which U/U+ bosses won't be weak to going forward - mostly useless!). Flashing Blade is relatively easy to hone, but there aren't many 5* samurai. I'd hone Sky Grinder if I could afford it, but I can't. I think Flashing Blade is probably going to be the AoE skill of choice for a while.

Well, Crushdown is 5* for all intents and purposes. :P

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Bio Grenade is soon (Edgar/Sabin event) for physical AOE. 2.4/2, poison elemental and poison inflict chance, basically a clone of Doppelblade. I agree with the rating "Sky Grinder if I could afford it, but I can't, so Flashing Blade looks better." Another nice thing about Flashing Blade is that it lets you leverage Sephiroth's monster ATK stat.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Gauntlet. ...

What are you comparing it to that makes you feel its stats suck? For a bracer that gives +25 ATK, it's pretty reasonable to have 88 DEF and 83 RES, IMO.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Bracers are awesome, never turn down Bracers.

• Options
    XP fest went pretty well, got Kuja from 50-67, Beatrix from 65-78, and Eiko from 50-60. Those are very uneven because I'm min-maxing with Break and XP RMs and that's how it happened to pan out.

Orbs were kind of a joke, other than one Major Wind I just got, they were overwhelmingly in favor of White, which had the only other major I received, and like 90% of the greaters, and more-than-a-fair-share of regular orbs. :/

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Finally got a major orb. 2x White.

You know ffrk, if you don't want me to play you can just tell me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I got one Major Lightning Orb during the event, which I guess is better than nothing. I am perpetually disappointed in these orb rush things, because apparently RNG is against me like 95% of the time.

My alt account got a Major Lightning and a Major White. Between two accounts I saw 3 giant cactuars. That's probably about average, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I got Saint Cross honed from the orbfest, so I can't complain much.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I got one of each to drop. Didn't farm as much as I usually do.

I did get Ignus, Refia, and Luneth to drop their RMs. Also honed Blade Blitz from R2 -> R4 because why not. It's useful.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Fry wrote: »
    Bio Grenade is soon (Edgar/Sabin event) for physical AOE. 2.4/2, poison elemental and poison inflict chance, basically a clone of Doppelblade. I agree with the rating "Sky Grinder if I could afford it, but I can't, so Flashing Blade looks better." Another nice thing about Flashing Blade is that it lets you leverage Sephiroth's monster ATK stat.

We agree, except regarding Sephiroth. He can use daggers and katanas, and that's it. Which, with my arsenal, gives him a grand total of 3 5* RS realms, and why use him over Gil otherwise. If he could use swords, he'd be a monster. As it is, he's situational - spectacular with an RS weapon and honed abilities (5* combat, samurai and darkness), but situational.

Tornado Strike can actually be awesome if you have enough +wind items and SBs. Oath Veil, EnWind and Imperil Wind can combine to double (or more) Tornado Strike's damage. But there aren't many people who can bring all that to the table, and I'm not one of them. Anyone with all (or most) of that should hone Tornado Strike. A lot. Otherwise: shatter bait.

Daffydd on
  • Options
    Gauntlet. ...

What are you comparing it to that makes you feel its stats suck? For a bracer that gives +25 ATK, it's pretty reasonable to have 88 DEF and 83 RES, IMO.

Power Sash. Which, admittedly , is another 5-star piece. Giving The gauntlets to Wakka means trading 12 points in both defenses for 15 in strength.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Daffydd wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    I doubt I'll ever do Hit and Run, that feels like an exploit to me. I'd just as soon build meter and spend a Mythril, but I haven't had to do that since Bahamut: Sin.

Functionally they seem the same to me, but one costs your white mage's RM slot and only works on 1 stamina battles, and doesn't give you a phoenix bonus. 30 stamina is worth about 1/5 of a mithril.

30 stamina and 30 minutes to 2 hours. And I'd distinguish it from an exploit as not being related to a result of poor or weird coding, cf. VIT0.

Actually, I think I can give a decent definition of an exploit: use of an emergent property of the way the game's rules or features are coded, rather than use of the game rules (as intended) themselves. Under this definition, there is a clear distinction between VIT0 on one hand, and retaliate meta or hit & run on the other. Another example (recently came up on reddit): if it is possible to flee after an enemy's attack animation but before receiving the damage, and one still gets SB meter from the attack, that's clearly a result of the way the rules are coded and not the rules themselves, and therefore an exploit.

Daffydd on
  • Options
    Gauntlet. ...

Power Sash. Which, admittedly , is another 5-star piece. Giving The gauntlets to Wakka means trading 12 points in both defenses for 15 in strength.

IMO 15 ATK is worth way more than 12 points of DEF and RES.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    What abilities and such should I be crafting/honing? I still have every single orb drop I've ever gotten, and I'm thinking of spending some of them. I kind of want a Cura if I can swing it, maybe a Thundara too...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Curaga & Esuna are pretty important, I have mine honed to 8 uses each.

Double Cut is very handy (I honed 3 copies of it to 6 uses each), and the Power, Magic, and Armor breaks.

From there, everything else depends on your party, and the dungeon you are currently doing. If there is no special requirements, then the double attacks, breaks, and your SB with a RW should get you through it.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    A guide to abilities to craft/hone:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3ab93t/newbie_guide_part_2_the_farming/

I disagree with some of it (ninja scrolls are pretty niche IMO), but a reasonable reference. 1* Boost, 2* Retaliate, and 2* Double Cut/3* Tempo Flurry will take you pretty far. 3* Magic Break, Power Break, and Armor Break are workhorses, and once you can afford to hone them, the 4* Breakdown versions are also great. For black/white magic, 3* abilities are usable for a good while. Special nod for 3* Memento of Prayer, it's the only AOE healing that isn't part of a Soul Break, works fine at R1. 4* Protectga and 4* Shellga are super important defensive pieces, and are also useful even at R1. If you have a bard you're excited about, 4* Enveloping Etude and 4* Spellbend Etude are the same as (do not stack with) Protectga and Shellga, though they use precious Power orbs, so the white magic versions are preferred.

There are very few abilities that you will want to have duplicates of, Double Cut and (much later) Lifesiphon chief among them.

Fry on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Memento of Prayer isn't an AoE heal, it's an AoE regen, and a minor one at that.

Renewing Cure also puts a minor regen but comes with a direct heal too; single target. Probably the best use of Memento would be if you needed to mass clear sap/poison, but it isn't useful in dire situations and given decent enough mnd from the caster, doesn't really need much recasting. Plus, in longer harder battles you might want regen, it isn't a strong enough regen to be worth using an ability slot for.

Plus Kirin provides the same party minor regen, and it's only 2*'s; though being a summon isn't quite as universal as a 3* white magic spell.

There are definitely worse uses of orbs, but ability slots are precious and Memento is easily replaced by virtually anything for more utility.

EDIT: to be perfectly clear, there are specific situations where having even a minor regen would be potentially life saving (iirc ultimate beatrix, if you didn't retaliate abuse her, could have a mass sap and a 1hp party attack), but it's still extremely situational.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I dropped about 25 mythril during the Orbfest and got 5 major wind, 6 major lightning, and 12 major white orbs out of it, not to mention 50+ greater orbs (that I seriously need), so I guess I can't really complain. The 8m+ gold is nice, too.

The bigger thing, though, was actually the experience boost - I managed to get Ramza and Zidane from 65 to 80, got Beatrix/Eiko/Cloud/Balthier/Agrias to 65, and pushed Amarant/Garnet/Luneth/Tyro to the mid-50s/60s. Tifa and Yuffie are now at 50, awaiting their MC1s from the Cait Sith event.

Now that most of my FF9 characters are lvl 60-80, I'd say it's time to beat Valia Pira's face in.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Memento of Prayer isn't an AoE heal, it's an AoE regen, and a minor one at that.

Renewing Cure also puts a minor regen but comes with a direct heal too; single target. Probably the best use of Memento would be if you needed to mass clear sap/poison, but it isn't useful in dire situations and given decent enough mnd from the caster, doesn't really need much recasting. Plus, in longer harder battles you might want regen, it isn't a strong enough regen to be worth using an ability slot for.

Plus Kirin provides the same party minor regen, and it's only 2*'s; though being a summon isn't quite as universal as a 3* white magic spell.

There are definitely worse uses of orbs, but ability slots are precious and Memento is easily replaced by virtually anything for more utility.

EDIT: to be perfectly clear, there are specific situations where having even a minor regen would be potentially life saving (iirc ultimate beatrix, if you didn't retaliate abuse her, could have a mass sap and a 1hp party attack), but it's still extremely situational.

It's a 30% party heal over 30 seconds (a reasonable duration for a boss fight). Some people go gaga over soul breaks that are 40% party heals, so this is pretty good for being something that anyone can craft fairly cheaply. It's also nice as a sort of heal that can be pre-cast, and that can be usefully carried on a paladin-type character. Summon orbs are very dear, so I can't recommend Kirin.

Not saying it's an ability that is going to be relevant for a long time, but it's pretty usable for a new player.

Fry on
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    FUCK YES! Kuja+ Mastered

1 medal lost to damage. Without Wall.

Team and strat:
    Zidane - Thief's Revenge R2, Life Siphon. Ace Striker. Shift Break [SSB]
    Selphie - Curaja, Shellga. Dr Mog's. Dreamstage [SSB]
    Steiner - Drain Strike, Magic Lure. Planet Protector (Start: Reflect). Sword Art Stock Break
    Lightning - Dismissal, Lifesiphon. Battle Hardened. Crushing Blow [SSB]
    Ramza - Full Break R2, Magic Breakdown. Mako Might, Tailwind

Everyone but Steiner had lightning damage resistance. With 291 resistance, Shellga and Magic Lure, he wasn't going to die to magic damage
    All physical attackers were soft-capped on ATK (395+)

RW: Shout

As I posted before, this is a full DPS rush down. I don't have full mitigation, I have to play smart and maximise Selphie's magic nulls and pray that I don't get screwed over with too many double AoE hits in the last 50%.
    Open with Shout on Zidane, otherwise setup with Shellga, Magic Lure, Full Break and Lifesiphon
    Kuja wasted his first two turns with Gravity that got reflected back to do nothing. So that was a lucky break in a way.
    Lightning Crushing Blow on her 3rd round. She was going to cap out on limit eventually so may as well push the Gravija so I can get Tailwind out\
    Zidane Thief's Revenge if he got hit, otherwise Lifesiphon to stock up on SB meter. Steiner just Drain Strike'd to keep topped off.
    Ramza did a Full Break, Magic Breakdown, Magic Breakdown on his first rotation, so I could Full Break then Tailwind from the Gravija without letting Magic Breakdown drop. R3 Breakdown hones FTW!
    Selphie Shellga'd again at an opportunity before holding for a SB on the push through 50%

Breaking 50%, I unloaded all the remaining SBs on Lightning and Zidane. They were doing around 12-15k each and Steiner's SB was doing about 9-12k.
    From that point onwards, it was praying for luck (Kuja thankfully spammed single target spells hitting Steiner for negligible damage since Reflect went down) refresh Dreamstage's blink once it got nuked off. One lucky dismissal proc which stalled Kuja for Dreamstage to go off again and Kuja spending his last round without using double AoEs sealed the deal.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    I like that Steiner setup, Drain Strike to keep topped up while your Auto-Reflect runs is a nice touch.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a reasonable multiplier (1.7x) and the self-heals were really nice. I was thinking of giving Lightning a Drain Strike as well if that run didn't work out to take pressure off Selphie but RNG rolled nicely in my favour because Kuja spammed 3 rounds doing nothing but single target attacks during the 50 to 0 push. If I had a Wall, I could have swapped out Magic Breakdown for Armour or Mental Breakdown and let Kuja hit himself more. ~3.4k with full breaks on him vs 5.5k if I only had Full Break.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    I see a target ring, and some watery spheres. What, are these Blitzball skills, or something?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »
    It is an FFX event!

That means another Ultimate Seymour! Yay!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Steiner and Kuja down. Had to S/L a bunch on Steiner: remember to divvy up your mitigation AND your healing, kids. Winning run actually had Tyro bite it right after he put up Wall and Power Breakdown, and before he could cast a Curaja. Fortunately, I won the race, full medals. Actually got Kuja on the first try. I messed up my loadout so I wasn't able to catch Gravija with Beatrix's magic blink, but I still got there. Lost one for damage. Don't think I saw any flare stars.

Dark zone is legit. 13k for most of the fight, double capped with En-dark. Was thinking "why are you hitting yourself, Kuja" the whole time.

Fry on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Can we just warp time 4 weeks ahead and skip all this chaff and get new banners translated so we can get started on the BSBfest already?

Cait Sith event. Yawn. First appearance of Cid Missions, and they're all a piece of cake.
    13-2 event. Lightning's BSSB is at least halfway decent, but yawn Serah. I'll happily take Sazh's SSB relic, though.
    Figabros. YAWN. Bio-Grenade, and harder Cid Missions, but still relatively easy stuff. No one could give two damns about the average characters featured in the event or their relics (with the exception of Relm's Chocobo Brush).
    Summon Nightmare. All I see from this event is more precious Major Summon Orbs. R3 Bahamut, here I come.
    Braska event. Cid missions with actual challenge, and some decent relics featured, including Auron's Banishing Blade, which stacks with Agrias' Cleansing Strike. For that reason alone, this banner is worth a pull.
    Big Bridge Boss Rush. Mythril and accessories and orbs. It's no BSBfest, but it pads the mythril stockpile and is one of the rare special events we actually get.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

This discussion has been closed.