Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Signed up for company healthcare plan and ended up needing to use it at an ER. Apparently I gave the ER my dental plan card. Whoops.

I also need to establish and follow up with a primary care doc. Except upon calling the healthcare company I'm not in any of their systems. Which is awwweeesome. So now there is an ER who is going to try and bill me at full price and I kinda really have to get to a doc in the next day or two.

I'm sure the insurance is there, but alas...just another word related pain in the ass.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    No, young co-worker, 36 is not "almost 40".

it's 90% of 40

that seems like a reasonable definition of "almost" unless you have an extraordinarily strong temporal proximity bias wait I'm talking about humans aren't I nevermind

A lot of people view age milestones in decades, so 36 is just a bit over halfway between 30 and 40.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So I'm about to go into my evaluation meeting with my supervisor. Typically I have always gotten my evaluations the day before the meeting so I can review it before we chat, but this is a different person than I have met with in the past. So I don't know if she just doesn't do that or if there's some sort of "fun" surprise in store.

Yaaaaay

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We have been asked as a team to write up a Mission Statement. Before today's meeting, each of us were asked to try writing one so we have some starting points.

Mine reads like Corporate Jargon Mad Libs.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    So I'm about to go into my evaluation meeting with my supervisor. Typically I have always gotten my evaluations the day before the meeting so I can review it before we chat, but this is a different person than I have met with in the past. So I don't know if she just doesn't do that or if there's some sort of "fun" surprise in store.

Yaaaaay

Surprise promotion, obviously

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Signed up for company healthcare plan and ended up needing to use it at an ER. Apparently I gave the ER my dental plan card. Whoops.

I also need to establish and follow up with a primary care doc. Except upon calling the healthcare company I'm not in any of their systems. Which is awwweeesome. So now there is an ER who is going to try and bill me at full price and I kinda really have to get to a doc in the next day or two.

I'm sure the insurance is there, but alas...just another word related pain in the ass.

It'll get back paid. Still annoying but far better than no insurance.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We have been asked as a team to write up a Mission Statement. Before today's meeting, each of us were asked to try writing one so we have some starting points.

Mine reads like Corporate Jargon Mad Libs.

Just write down these lyrics

https://youtu.be/GyV_UG60dD4

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I honestly debated pulling some lines from the song and seeing if anyone would notice. I also debated doing it in haiku or limerick formats.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    People make fun of mission statements, but the good ones are REALLY useful.
    Like "Don't be evil".
    Our creed is generally "Help people lead safer and more secure lives"

Good mission statements give people the high level look that helps them decide coin flip decisions and shape where strategy goes. Bad ones are created by committee. If it doesn't make sense to scream from a rooftop, it's not a mission statement (IMO).

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Like "Don't be evil".

Good mission statements give people the high level look that helps them decide coin flip decisions and shape where strategy goes. Bad ones are created by committee. If it doesn't make sense to scream from a rooftop, it's not a mission statement (IMO).

Mission statements are only as good as if the company actually follows them, though. Words vs deeds, etc.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

It'll get back paid. Still annoying but far better than no insurance.

That's not necessarily automatic - sometimes you need to request reimbursement forms that you need to fill out so get compensated for whatever the insurance was going to pay for. Just a heads up, @DrZiplock .

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thank god I had someone with me at the ER last time (well, realistically, if my neighbour hadn't driven me there I wouldn't have gone)

"Do you have your insurance card?" I just opened my wallet and held it out while trying not to bleed on it "I don't know!"

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Like "Don't be evil".

Explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, etc. Boldly whatever and so on.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Thank god I had someone with me at the ER last time (well, realistically, if my neighbour hadn't driven me there I wouldn't have gone)

"Do you have your insurance card?" I just opened my wallet and held it out while trying not to bleed on it "I don't know!"

Reminds me of the time I had my daughter's physical therapist take me to the ER because I stupidly cut my finger on a fucking mandoline slicer. Blood dripping down onto the intake desk, oh you need my card, hold on while I reach for it with my good hand.

Though I did have an awesomely huge bandage on my middle finger for a couple weeks after that. Flipping people off was never so much fun.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Staffing company I was distrusting off a few months ago just called me with a job opportunity, asked for newest resume and permission to pitch me.

I said yes and sent it, even though the phone conversation distracted me from driving and got me lost on the wrong freeway when I was trying to stick to side streets.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Co-worker went on a tinder date last night, ended up being a stereotypical tech bro that people have been writing articles about for two or three years now, regarding ruining the dating scene here. Moved from out of state for a tech job(video game artist), didn't offer to pay, only talked about his job and how much money he makes.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    What the fuck is with people begging for interviews, then no showing.

My anger knows no bounds.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I can't even imagine what it's like to have a first date with a person, and have them talk about how much money they make. What?

That sounds like a big ol' disappointment.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    I can't even imagine what it's like to have a first date with a person, and have them talk about how much money they make. What?

http://www.damemagazine.com/2014/05/23/amazon-killing-my-sex-life

Two years ago and it's been growing ever since. I'm thinking we might have to leave the city within three years or so just because of rent and cultural impacts.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

ypwbcjmb1l0f.gif

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Co-worker went on a tinder date last night, ended up being a stereotypical tech bro that people have been writing articles about for two or three years now, regarding ruining the dating scene here. Moved from out of state for a tech job(video game artist), didn't offer to pay, only talked about his job and how much money he makes.

You'd think that someone involved in technology, amazon marketing, and numerous other fields involved in Seattle's tech boom would understand the idea of MARKET SATURATION! Its like the concept flies over their head that YOUR PAYCHECK DOES NOT MAKE YOU SPECIAL IN THIS CITY AND IS IN FACT A LIABILITY!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine talking about how much I make on a date

I mean I guess if I did it'd be the "Oh god I only make this much do you know how little that is in the bay area" as a way to beg for them to pay???

• Options

You'd think that someone involved in technology, amazon marketing, and numerous other fields involved in Seattle's tech boom would understand the idea of MARKET SATURATION! Its like the concept flies over their head that YOUR PAYCHECK DOES NOT MAKE YOU SPECIAL IN THIS CITY AND IS IN FACT A LIABILITY!

Also going out with long-time or born & raised here people, who are scraping by now to stay in their city, and bragging about being one of the people that are driving up the costs of everything?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I had a date like that once, and yes it was disappointing. The guy was super cute, too, with a fabulous British accent. But all he could talk about was all the shit he would buy me if we were dating. I guess in some circles that would be attractive, but it was just uncomfortable to me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

ypwbcjmb1l0f.gif

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-audubon-report-finds-78-female-birds-sexually--52930

sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

At least be a little discrete about it.

Do this, except with like your pay stub or bank account info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HilyOLWzrM

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Good news, just got off the phone with my bank, just gotta put a down payment together and I can get a decent car, which is gonna be needed before next spring when our lease is up again. Or before then, if our building gets sold to new developers.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Also going out with long-time or born & raised here people, who are scraping by now to stay in their city, and bragging about being one of the people that are driving up the costs of everything?

Sounds a hell of a lot like Austin really

• Options
    Almost forgot, due to a clerical error I got shorted a whole day's pay on my check for last week.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Apparently the initial meeting/info session on organizing a workplace can get pretty heated?

Gaaaaaaah.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One of my two paraprofessionals just told me she won't be back next school year. I wonder how much input I'll have in getting a new one. I've heard it might not be much.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    After a whole lot of time spent in consideration and some more time spent in the process, I'm almost done enlisting in the US Navy! I'm sure there are differing opinions on my chosen career path yet I am confident in my decision. I scored very high on the ASVAB test and am applying at a time when I am being offered some contracts that are very tech heavy with educations that are highly applicable to civilian careers. The 27th I wrap up my physical and get my official contract offers. My father is a 26 year old Navy vet who retired as a Master Chief so he has divulged the deets and I feel more than prepared. I may be able to land a contract that enables me to stay in my beloved San Diego but if not, I have never really traveled so that could be very exciting!

All in all I am so very happy to have a future that will not include the reasonably scary thoughts of "Oh god rent is incoming," and "Hmm, better just have rice and potatoes tonight."

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    After a whole lot of time spent in consideration and some more time spent in the process, I'm almost done enlisting in the US Navy! I'm sure there are differing opinions on my chosen career path yet I am confident in my decision. I scored very high on the ASVAB test and am applying at a time when I am being offered some contracts that are very tech heavy with educations that are highly applicable to civilian careers. The 27th I wrap up my physical and get my official contract offers. My father is a 26 year old Navy vet who retired as a Master Chief so he has divulged the deets and I feel more than prepared. I may be able to land a contract that enables me to stay in my beloved San Diego but if not, I have never really traveled so that could be very exciting!

All in all I am so very happy to have a future that will not include the reasonably scary thoughts of "Oh god rent is incoming," and "Hmm, better just have rice and potatoes tonight."

You get pointed over to the H/A military thread yet? There are good folks within.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    I was unaware of said thread. Thanks!

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    I had a good interview! They all seem like crazypants people, but definitely a fun bunch.

A company I had applied to several months ago who wanted to do a phone interview and then never actually called me or responded to my emails or phone calls to HR asking politely what the hell happened also emailed me today. They didn't apologize, but told me they decided I was better suited for a higher paying position and wanted to know if I was still interested. I told them I was. If they decide to be nonresponsive jerks again I won't shed any tears, though.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    If you're gonna brag about how much money you make on a first date, you should at least pay for dinner and whatever else

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I work in architecture. I was told today by my boss that I was going to blow the clients mind with a project I was going to submit.

Then i found out blow the clients mind was a bad thing, apparently my submittal was too creative and original. I was literally told, "this is too unique and modern, you need to make this more boring. You need to understand you are not designing to make a good project, you are designing to be generic so the project will sell, this isnt europe, also you cant make a building this green, its too expensive and this isnt europe."

She saw my face and at that moment I just felt sorry for her, its like she had given up on design. She asked what I was thinking and i just flippently responded "well i dont think this is going to change the way I build things" and she almost fired me on the spot. Soooooo if you want to know why all the buildings in Seattle and south of Seattle that are going up right now all look the same I will direct you to my boss.

I need to attempt to be more mediocre... I am working in the wrong place.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yo that's terrible.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Joolander wrote: »
    If you're gonna brag about how much money you make on a first date, you should at least pay for dinner and whatever else

Guys that brag about the money they make on a first date are also the sort of guys who would feel mortally insulted if their date even tried to pull out their own wallet, so no worries there.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.